Thread: Sprites of Bert

Default Sprites of Bert

I've been contemplating this and I think it'd be nice if some of the more active users here would create showcase threads.

I, for one, would love to see all of you lovely ladies and gentlemen show off your work in bulk. It's easier to see where people excel as an artist, and where they struggle, if there's a bunch of sprites to look at at once.

So yeah, as an attempt to lead by example, here's my work. Mostly fusions, as you can see:

4th gen (I made these around 2008-2009 I think, man I'm getting old).

5th gen (some of them are from around 2011, but a good deal of them are 2015 GWSC entries).

* The onion/garlic guy was designed by someone named GreyWingedBlitz, he's on DeviantArt if you want to check out his other fakemon designs.

I'm not really making sprites anymore lately, but maybe I will soon. Who knows, if activity rises and more of you post showcase threads, people might inspire each other to create more.
    Last edited by Bert; 27th January 2016 at 12:07 PM.

Whoa! These are awesome. I especially love the Tentacool/Kabuto and Tentacruel/Scizor ones. Honestly, though, not one of them is bad. The Relicanth/Lugia one in the first set had me laughing out loud, but in a good way! It's all so well done that if I didn't recognize them as fusions, nearly ALL of them could be in-game quality and pass as great official sprites.

The Santa/Dusclops one strikes me personally as the best in terms of shading. It looks almost three-dimensional, flows effortlessly, and is altogether a clever, great design. That's how I feel about most of these, to be honest.

I'd be very eager to see more from you, if you continue spriting.
    I have claimed Parasect

^fan fic _________________ sprites^

Kinda nice to see you still wantin' to sprite after all these years.
    I'm a big fan of yours tbh. You were one of the reasons I started spritin' a few years ago (7 years).
    I love the Macargo and Spiritomb fusions, last year's sprites are gorgeous too. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by tm27crobat View Post
    (...)
    Thank you! I'm trying to get back into it, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by ,Ex View Post
    (...)
    That's really nice to hear. I'm a huge fan of your work now, as you've probably noticed.

--

So anyway, I touched up on my rainbow Regice (kinda bummed I didn't get around to it before the poll opened), and I think the right arm looks a lot more natural now.
    ->

Also uploaded some other small stuff that apparently isn't on the chart in the first post:

Last edited by Bert; 19th February 2016 at 8:30 PM.

Your fusions are ledgendary, no doubt about it. You mastered that skill surely.

The recolor of regice looks really nice, and the edit is an improvement.
    I don't know what you mean with blue glow, but I'm curious how you edit it. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by noobiess View Post
    Your fusions are ledgendary, no doubt about it. You mastered that skill surely.
    Thanks! There's still some room for improvement sometimes, but I agree it's what I'm best at. If only I could scratch like you and shade like ,Ex...

I don't know what you mean with blue glow, but I'm curious how you edit it. ^^
    Well, I made the sprite with 25% opaque colors (standard flashy ones) above Regice's natural blue, so all the colors are still a little blueish (as I wanted them to).
    I was working on a version where I'd do the rainbows on a grayscaled Regice, hoping it'd look like a clear glass prism. It didn't turn out the way I wanted it to at all though, and I closed my program without saving.

Better start working on something else I guess.

Updating with my 1st Gen fusion for last week's GWSC:

And the three different versions of my collab fusion of Meganium and Registeel with Ryger Vandell (so credit goes to him as well as myself):

We couldn't decide which version was better, so opinions are always welcome.

Also, I'll be gone from late march 'till late april for school, so these are probably my last sprites until then. I'd hoped to enter this week's GWSC as well, but I have a lot of work right now, so that didn't work out.

Peace out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    And the three different versions of my collab fusion of Meganium and Registeel with Ryger Vandell (so credit goes to him as well as myself):

We couldn't decide which version was better, so opinions are always welcome.
    I'd definitely say the first one, for what it's worth. You guys did a phenomenal job!

Also, I'll be gone from late march 'till late april for school, so these are probably my last sprites until then. I'd hoped to enter this week's GWSC as well, but I have a lot of work right now, so that didn't work out.

Peace out.
    I know how that is, but I'll miss you around here! Good luck!
    I have claimed Parasect

^fan fic _________________ sprites^

Bummer that you won't be able to participate.
    I surely always enjoy your sprites!

The collab-sprite looks great! I love what you done with the tail. I'm not such a fan of the eyes, but I think that is more taste then something else.
    Overall a great sprite, and it's great that there happens some collabs on the side in this forum!

Thanks for the feedback!

I see what you mean by the eyes, noobiess. So I played around a bit (I'm leaving tomorrow so this'll definitely be the last work I'll do for a while).
    Not sure if it's better, it's definitely kind of different now. More robot-, less ancient-like.

Let me know what you think. As before, I'm required to say credit's for Ryger Vandell as well myself.
    Last edited by Bert; 26th March 2016 at 6:45 PM.

The eye looks much better (but maybe a bit creepy but it gives of a robotic-vibe).
    What I noticed now is that if you think away the light-grey armour its body looks very thin, almost snake-like.
    I don't know how I really feel about it, but I personally would certainly try a 'fatter' version.

geez
    I loved the Meganium/Registeel fusion. It's so creative and the result is incredible! Loved its shape. Grats on the collab.
    I prefer the first one, like, the very first one. The one with Registeel eyes and a hand-tail.

btw, how does a collab on sprite works? I mean, I did one once but it was a really large one.

Kinda nice to see you still wantin' to sprite after all these years.
    I'm a big fan of yours tbh. You were one of the reasons I started spritin' a few years ago (7 years).
    I love the Macargo and Spiritomb fusions, last year's sprites are gorgeous too. Great job.
    I'm the same. I started off with just recolours, but he was the one who pretty much got me into fusions.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I see what you mean by the eyes, noobiess. So I played around a bit (I'm leaving tomorrow so this'll definitely be the last work I'll do for a while).
    Not sure if it's better, it's definitely kind of different now. More robot-, less ancient-like.

Let me know what you think. As before, I'm required to say credit's for Ryger Vandell as well myself.
    The eye change is a nice variation too. awesome delivery as always!
    geez
    I loved the Meganium/Registeel fusion. It's so creative and the result is incredible! Loved its shape. Grats on the collab.
    I prefer the first one, like, the very first one. The one with Registeel eyes and a hand-tail.

btw, how does a collab on sprite works? I mean, I did one once but it was a really large one.
    Well, I don't think its that different from the large one. we just split the work into segments instead of separate sprites like the collab gwsc. If bert doesn't mind, I'll just post the WIP we discussed about as an example:

This is the base idea I had and I give him a rough draft of what I imagined the fusion to be like. we discuss things on how to go with it after. I might go in more detail with a tutorial for this.

This is a pretty neat fusion you two are working on. I think that the right-most sprite has the cleanest tail that looks like it fits the design best, but I think the overall sprite is missing something around the head or else along the patterning of the body to 'feel' complete.