Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #31

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    It still has to hit with Fire Blast (85% accuracy, remember) and survive a hit with Rock Polish. Hail and traps are very bad for its health, so Focus Sash+Rock Polish has several fatal flaws...

I have yet to see a successful Scizor set without Technician+Bullet Punch or a Gliscor slow enough to be outsped by Rampardos. Plus, Base 101 Speed on Landorus means you have little chance to get an Ice Beam into it without a prediction on a switch...
    Focus Sash is a bad item. Just run Life Orb and find something like a Skarmory that can't hurt it and Rock Polish.

Just kidding, Rampardos is bad. Even Tyranitar is a better Rock Polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Focus Sash is a bad item. Just run Life Orb and find something like a Skarmory that can't hurt it and Rock Polish.

Just kidding, Rampardos is bad. Even Tyranitar is a better Rock Polisher.
    Rampardos could do... some good. I mean Life Orb Head Smash is gonna be hitting most things for a pretty good amount of damage and it gets Earthquake for Edgequake at least. Yeah though, for the most part sadly its outclassed by just about every other pokemon with access to rock polish.
    Some rules are made with all intentions to break
    And she defends it with a warped rationale
    But I've seen what happened to the wicked and proud
    When they decided to take on the throne for the crown

Facebook | Last.fm | Backloggery

^
    Except Torterra

Smile

I'm not normally one to rain one's parade, but I thought Sheer Force didn't affect Head Smash?
    It's only a recoil inducing attack, with no additional side effects, and although Life Orb works in synch with Sheer Force, that still doesn't nergate Head Smash damage does it?

As far as I'm aware the ability only negates POSITIVE side effects (stat boosts to you, stat drops to your ooponent, status afflictions to your opponent etc) but not NEGATIVE effects (recoil, stat drops on your side etc) :S

By the way this is my very first post, so hi haha!

Here's a quick set for Rampardos anyhoo:

*insert imaginative set name*
    -Rock Polish
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake
    -Head Smash/Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    Item: Leftovers/Expert Belt.
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs & nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp. Atk)
    252HP, 252 Speed, 4 Def/Atk.

Basic gist of this set, is to send Rammy in on an opponent not likely to KO it, and set up with Rock Polish, otherwise if you're not so keen on whatever you're up against, use Dragon Tail to send them packing or to phase an opponent setting up. Once you've got a few speed boosts, proceed to beat your way to victory with Earthquake and the rock move of your choice: Head Smash for pure unadulterated power and recoil; Stone Edge to pair up for the famous Edgequake combo; or Rock Slide for your safer, more plentiful option. Given that Rampardos has the highest attack of any non-Uber poke, I don't see much point investing (much) in it's attack stat, which is why I've spread them between it's HP, mediocre speed, and it's defence, given that if a sandstorm's active, it's special defence will get a wee boost.

Just posting a set for Pre-Evo corner that can also work on Rampardos.

Cranidos @Choice Band
    Naughty
    Mold Breaker
    Whatever maximizes Atk and HP and puts rest in Speed.
    Head Smash
    Earthquake (assuming he can learn it, otherwise Fire Punch)
    Ice Beam
    Pursit

Basic CB Cranidos. Head Smash is your incredibly powerful STAB with a Choice Band, it's going to deal a literal load of damage. EQ hits Bronzor with Mold Breaker, Ice Beam hits Gligar, who walls pretty much every other physical attacker not named Scraggy and Meditite who carry Ice Punch, and Pursuit hits Abra that want to flee or get destroyed, but Pursuit kills them either way.

Bronzor can set up screens for Cranidos, he basically needs them to stay alive. Pineco can set up entry hazards to make Cranidos's life easier.

Countering Cranidos

When countering Cranidos, remember that it has the same Attack as Gyarados. IN LC. As long as Cranidos doesn't carry Ice Beam, Fire Punch, or Superpower, Gligar and Ferroseed, with their respective weaknesses to the moves, can most likely take a hit and beat it. Gligar has 30ish Defense, so it could probably take a hit. Also, Diglett can come in, trap, and kill it.

Does the POTW give LC no real sets? LC is, often times, different than the evo's tier's metagame.
    Last edited by Vandslaux; 4th August 2011 at 1:01 AM.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

I'm going to contribute to this one, what with my newfound competitive knowledge.

Total Edit: Ninja'd, but CB Cranidos wouldn't do so well anyway. Why? Frailty. Leave that to his a bit less frail evolution, Rampardos.

CB
    Item: Choice Band
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Def
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Mold Breaker/Sheer Force
    -Head Smash/Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    -Crunch/Brick Break
    -SuperPower/Hammer Arm
    -Fire Punch/Earthquake

Okay, pretty spastic set. Choice Band powers up that ridiculous attack, but keeps you using one move blah. Adamant for more power, no problem. Now here's the problem. Go with his lesser ability and have much better offensive options like SuperPower and Fire Punch, or with insane Sheer Force for just plain murder. Sheer Force also prefers Rock Slide over Stone Edge or Head Smash, and Stone Edge is usually preferred over Head Smash anyways, but 150 BP STAB is nothing to be taken lightly. If you go MB, Fire Punch is a given, and SuperPower is crazy hit-and-run power. Crunch is generally preferred with SuperPower, but Brick Break is an option for a less costly move. Hammer Arm is an option for hitting with power similar to SupwerPower, but lowers his sub-par speed. Earthquake is a Filler mostly, but can net a few blows.

I'm a bit off on the EVs I believe, but it's probably better bulky on this one... As if it can be relatively.

Rock Polish
    Item: Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Sheer Force
    -Rock Polish
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Rock Slide
    -Earthquake/Brick Break/Crunch

Set up late game, then go for a uh... 'Sweep'. It'd be easier if Rampardos wasn't so slow, but it's passable and can be used. Zen Headbutt is an oft over-looked move, but it can take a bite out of most. Don't aim for anything with Bullet Punch/Mach Punch/Vaccuum Wave/Aqua Jet Et cetera though. Rock Slide is STAB and crazy powered with Sheer Force. Last move is up to you, EQ is you want QuakEdge, Brick Break for coverage, and Crunch for Sheer Force and Shedinja.

Cranidos

Cranidos is a force to be reckoned with in LC, but it should not just be slapped on any team. It's considerably faster in-proportion to Rampardos, sharing it's base stat, but it's still quite slow. If you can manage to get a Baton Pass'd speed to it, let the good times roll, as it's 125 Base Attack is quite threatening.

All is not sunshine and rainbows though, as it's quite frail, and is taken down quickly by Priority of any kind, really, because it is sporting 67/40/30 defences. It's not Abra weak, but take caution.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Everyone keep in mind that if you're running Sheer Force, always use Rock Slide over Stone Edge. SE does not get the boost, so Rock Slide is essentially a more accurate SE. So I'd just like to remind everyone to use Rock Slide with Sheer Force.

Oh, and to not use Rampardos.

I'm pretty sure DW Cranidos in not released, so it really doesn't matter if you use Fire Punch.

Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraMASTER View Post
    @jr Sheer Force only negates positive effects such as high crit ratio, burns, flinched etc. But doesn't negate negative effects such as own stat being lowered, recoil etc.
    I know that already.

However according to the previous posts in the beginning of the thread, they say that cause of sheer force , Rampardos dont get recoil damage from Head Smash.

Ninjasks best friend

Rampardos@life orb\choice scarf
    Jolly nature
    Ability sheer force
    Ev's 252spe\252att\4hp
    Head smash\stone edge
    earthquake
    brick break
    fire punch
    Rampardos has low speed.Ninjask has agility and baton pass and high speed.Rampardos has obsene attack.Oh,I forgot to say that ninjask also has swords dance.Picture a dinosaur and the destruction of the earth in your head.You've just got the idea of what ninjask baton passing boosts to rampardos could be capable of.Stone edge or head smash for STAB,earthquake is the best physical move in the game,fire punch and brick break have coverage and a sheer force boost.You don't really need them because you're other moves will kill the opponents even if they resist it anyway.Even the mighty gliscor will fall to this set.With a jolly nature and max speed ev's after an agility boost you'll outrun most of the game.Give it life orb or choice scarf and it kills everything in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep007 View Post
    Ninjasks best friend

Rampardos@life orb\choice scarf
    Jolly nature
    Ability sheer force
    Ev's 252spe\252att\4hp
    Head smash\stone edge
    earthquake
    brick break
    fire punch
    Rampardos has low speed.Ninjask has agility and baton pass and high speed.Rampardos has obsene attack.Oh,I forgot to say that ninjask also has swords dance.Picture a dinosaur and the destruction of the earth in your head.You've just got the idea of what ninjask baton passing boosts to rampardos could be capable of.Stone edge or head smash for STAB,earthquake is the best physical move in the game,fire punch and brick break have coverage and a sheer force boost.You don't really need them because you're other moves will kill the opponents even if they resist it anyway.Even the mighty gliscor will fall to this set.With a jolly nature and max speed ev's after an agility boost you'll outrun most of the game.Give it life orb or choice scarf and it kills everything in the game.
    You probably wouldn't want to use Choice Scarf with a baton passing set since the constant switching nature of choice items would need you to baton pass every time he switches since you don't keep stat increases when your pokemon switches.

abilty:sheer force
    Moves:
    Head smash
    Bulldoze
    Dragon Tail/Iron Tail/Thunderpunch/Superpower
    EVs: 252 attack, 252 speed,4 hp
    nature:Adamant
    Item:life orb/leftovers
    This set maximizes damage and lowers risks
    Last edited by 10speed12; 4th August 2011 at 8:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10speed12 View Post

abilty:sheer force
    Moves:
    Head smash
    Bulldoze
    EVs: 252 attack, 252 speed,4 hp
    nature:Adamant
    Item:life orb/leftovers
    This set maximizes damage and lowers risks
    Thunderpunch is illegal with Sheer Force. Also, Earthquake is still stronger than a Sheer Force boosted Bulldoze. So unless you're scared to death of Life Orb recoil, use Earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by jr0904 View Post
    I know that already.

However according to the previous posts in the beginning of the thread, they say that cause of sheer force , Rampardos dont get recoil damage from Head Smash.
    Then they're stupid not aware of Sheer Force's effects

FC: 2022 2993 1000

Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraMASTER View Post
    Then they're stupid not aware of Sheer Force's effects
    The page for Sheer Force also lists every Move it affects, so they must be stupid not aware of the Abilitydex on the homepage...

Rampardos has such a huge attack stat that Sheer Force seems somewhat unnecessary...
    *Random Rampardos Set
    -------------------------------------
    'Ability: Mold Breaker
    'Item: Focus Sash
    'Nature: Adamant
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Thunder/Fire Punch
    -Pursuit/SuperPower/ Focus Punch

- On a little note: Pursuit or Focus Punch are for if think that Rampardos is capable of forcing switches...
    *Question! Does life orb have it's recoil negated on all moves affected by sheer force, or is it only on moves that also generate recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by PokefanTez View Post
    You probably wouldn't want to use Choice Scarf with a baton passing set since the constant switching nature of choice items would need you to baton pass every time he switches since you don't keep stat increases when your pokemon switches.
    Oh yeah.Forgot you lose the boosts when you switch.
    Girafarig for president!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    Rampardos has such a huge attack stat that Sheer Force seems somewhat unnecessary...
    *Random Rampardos Set
    -------------------------------------
    'Ability: Mold Breaker
    'Item: Focus Sash
    'Nature: Adamant
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Thunder/Fire Punch
    -Pursuit/SuperPower/ Focus Punch

- On a little note: Pursuit or Focus Punch are for if think that Rampardos is capable of forcing switches...
    *Question! Does life orb have it's recoil negated on all moves affected by sheer force, or is it only on moves that also generate recoil?
    Life Orb does not have recoil on moves that are affected by sheer force. And Head Smash, Double Edge and so on does NOT have they're recoil removed.

In my opinion, Trick Room was created for Rampardos, and this combo was made for rotation battles. One Pokémon sets TR, then immediatly rotates out to Rampardos, without wasting a turn. Here is the best set:
    Rampardos@Life Orb
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    IVs: 0 Spe
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Thunderpunch / Head Smash
    -Fire Punch / Head Smash

Basic TR sweeper. Wrecks everything. Stone Edge or Head Smash for STAB, everything else for coverage. However, Rampardos has a very short lifespan, so Head Smash should be used as a last resort.
    Just ignore my post count, I've been a lurked for 2 years now and I know how to play Pokémon.

I need someone to teach ne how to RNG abuse and what programs to use. Please VM me!

Oh jeez totally forgot about Cranidos. He can basically run every moveset Rampardos runs. 125 base Attack is still excellent. And he still has the same Speed as Rampardos. He can do much better in LC with base 58 Speed. That's not too bad, paired up with Jolly or CS or something like that.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Ramp The Scarf

Rampardos @Choice Scarf
    Sheer Force
    Adamant nature
    252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break/Zen Heatbutt
    - Pursuit/Crunch

Wheels dont fail me now
    - Head Smash/Stone edge
    - Earthquake
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Fire Punch
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Mold Breaker/Sheer Force
    Evs and Nature: Jolly (4hp,252Atk,252Spe)
    3DS FC 1220 - 6490 - 8008

*Ignoring others' comments*

I feel like Head Smash and Shell Bell should be noted in the Other Options section, as if you survive it will give a hefty chunk of HP back.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post
    *Ignoring others' comments*

I feel like Head Smash and Shell Bell should be noted in the Other Options section, as if you survive it will give a hefty chunk of HP back.
    It won't be a big enough chunk to warrant giving up the power provided by Choice Band or Life Orb. May as well slap a Choice Band onto that sucker and kill as much stuff as you can with Head Smash till you die.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123