• Bianca

12 31.58%
  • N

20 52.63%
  • Hugh

11 28.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite rival of the 5th Gen?

Default What is your favorite rival of the 5th Gen?

In Gen 5 we had four awesome characters that frequently challenged the PC – Cheren, Bianca and N in Black/White, and Hugh in B2W2. Which of these four characters is your favorite?

vs. vs. vs.

Cheren:
    The witty, knowledgeable childhood friend of the PC. He goes through character development in the game when he comes off as impatient to become the best trainer but is stumped when asked why this is his dream. Often he appears through the story to share his knowledge with the PC, help out in the fight against Team Plasma, and occasionally have a battle. While he never has bad intentions his dialogue sometimes comes off as dry and judgemental.

Personally he is my pick because I like his character development and his team.

Bianca:
    The clumsy, adorable and (really annoying in my honest opinion) childhood friend of the PC. She begins her pokemon journey despite her father’s disapproval but came to realize she wasn’t cut out to be a strong trainer after multiple losses to the PC and after Team Plasma nearly got away with her Munna. She spends the rest of her journey trying to figure out what she can do in life that she will enjoy.

Natural Harmonia Gropius:
    I was actually unsure if it was even appropriate to throw N in here since I wasn’t sure if he was considered a rival, but by definition a rival is “a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity” and this is what N does when he battles the PC to see who will be the hero. N meets the PC early in the game and has an occasional battle. As someone who agrees that Pokemon should be liberated from humans, he is loyal to Team Plasma     Spoiler:- end of game/B2W2:

Hugh:
    Hugh is the friend of the PC in B2W2. He is an angry individual and has a grudge against Team Plasma because they stole his sister’s Purrloin. He begins his Pokemon journe in the hopes that he will become a strong enough trainer to defeat the villain team.
    Personally he’s my least favorite because I find it hard to find him relatable – we never get to know anything about the sister or the Purrloin so as far as we know, they might not have even been that close :|

Please post in these face off threads k thanks

Mega Evolution Face-Off | Save or Discard

It is a tie between Cheren and N for me because I like how Cheren is always persistent and wanting to beat you and yet he still had nice development throughout to even becoming a gym leader. I also liked N because, aside from his contribution to the story, I liked that his team was different each time.

I also like Bianca and Hugh too since Bianca in the beginning of BW messed up the player's room while Hugh had an awesome battle theme to me but Cheren and N stuck out more personally.

They are all awesome, but my vote goes to Bianca. She is my favorite Rival in the whole series. I like what they did with her thematically and storywise. She isn't the strongest or best trainer, but she knows that and she isn't trying to hide it. I like how she represents the truth in B/W, that was really well done and a great way to tie in the themes they were going for. I thought her personality and abilities was a refreshing take on a rival compared to some of the ones from the past who thought they were strong despite losing all the time. Her personality was great overall. She was a bit clumsy but still energetic and always doing her best. Her design is good too, she is just so cute and sweet all around. The scene with her and her father and Elesa in Nimbasa City was great and really touching. Then I like how she found out what she wanted to do with her life in the sequels where she became the assistant of Professor Juniper. She was overall a great character and she had some really good character development all around. So that's why she is my top favorite.

But as I said, I liked the other three too.

Cheren was a good contrast to Bianca, he was aiming to become stronger but wasn't sure why and later realized that there's more to life than strength. And then he became a Gym Leader in the sequels. He was as great as Bianca but I just liked Bianca a little more, so he is my second favorite Rival in the series.

Then we have N. I have always been unsure about whether he is a rival, a villain, neutral or actually a good person. I think it is a combination of all these things, actually. He is one of the deepest and best written characters in the series and a character I have really grown to appreciate thoughout the years since I first played B/W. He is great but I'm not putting him first since he was more than just a Rival to me.

Finally, Hugh. I think he is a great character too. He seemed a bit one-sided when I first played B2/W2 but once I got further into the game I learned that there was more to him than it first seemed and he grew on me. He was a bit different compared to Cheren and Bianca but I didn't mind that, I still liked him a lot.

Singing out to the moon
    And with her I attune
    Crying out with the sun
    And with her I am done

I voted for N cuz he was a bigger threat especially at the end of Black and White when he uses his real team but Hugh is a close second.

I really like Bianca, because I can really relate to her personality.

Also, her BGM in the games is fantastic.
    A strong spirit transcends rules.

Tie between N and Hugh. Because of Hugh's angry persistence to get Purrloin back to his sister and because N made a 'good' Team Plasma in B2W2.

Sugimori art used; quote from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
    Banner created by me
        Spoiler:- Claims:

Images from Bulbapedia, Banner from upload to Imgur

My Favorite is N he was a really well developed character and his team is was interesting since he used a legendary

As a character, I'd pick N. His story and role in the plot was very interesting, and he is very different to previous main characters in any Pokémon game. I also think that he is very cool design-wise. But do I like N that much as a rival? Probably not. I've used to think him as a bad guy and a tragic anti-hero more than a rival. So, rival-wise, I'd pick Cheren. He was strong and determined, and he felt like a good rival for you and your team. He was more serious as a rival than Bianca. And it was fun to face him again in B/W 2 as a gym leader. And Hugh, oh well, I think he's boring. Only looking after his sister's Pokémon more than concentrating on battling with you. I liked way better being best friends with Cheren and Bianca.

A tie between Cheren and N. I like both of their arcs and how they develop over the course of the games. Bianca and Hugh just got on my nerves a lot. Bianca with her absent minded and borderline ditzy tendencies was grating to me. Hugh, while being determined, was a bit boring and of a one track mind and wasn't much of a rival to you. He was more focused on getting back his sister's pokemon.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

My favourite is Hugh. Partly because I greatly prefered B2W2 over the first games, but mostly because I liked his rage and Qwilfish hair.

Bianca would be my second choice, so I picked her on the poll, too. She always seemed like a nice person to me, so I liked it whenever she popped up during the games to talk to me.

Didn't pick Cheren because I didn't care for him as a rival. However, he was my favourite Unova Gym Leader in B2W2, so I guess I liked his character development.
    ~ * * ~

Even though he wasn't quite a "rival" like past games rivals, I still liked N the best out of all four, in both games. Even after it's revealed that     Spoiler:
    I still found him to be really interesting and unique character. He was definitely more mysterious before that revelation, but not any less interesting to me.

Regarding Cheren and Hugh, I'm not sure how I felt about them in Gen 5. I'm probably neutral to both of them.

I liked Bianca better in B/W2 than in in B/W. I personally found her annoying in the first games.

My top favorites

Claimed by me!

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - Sgt. Greg Parker, SRU

I haven't played BW2, but I find Cheren annoying because his starter's stronger than mine. At least Bianca has the common decency to be weak to me. And N... is N. Enough said.

scolipede is god

Bianca, because she uses two of my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon (Musharna and Chandelure)

Cheren was alright... Nothing special there,,. But he got better in B2/W2, mostly looks-wise. xD

I dislike N in B/W, but he also got better in B2/W2

Hugh is just boring to me.

I'll go with Cheren,because I liked his studious and cold attitude,as well as the fact he had became a Gym Leader by B2/W2.Bianca was also pretty nice,but her clumsiness was pretty annoying.And while I do like Hugh as a character,I don't like his battle theme at all,and he doesn't show up to battle you enough times during the main storyline.
    N is an interesting character,but I like him better as an antagonist than as a rival.

Bianca. Her storyline was actually interesting, even if she could be a little bit annoying. Defying her father, going on her journey, realising that she isn't good enough (and admitting it!), doing what it right, finding her place as Juniper's assistant... it was different, it was interesting and I felt like she was a fleshed out character more than most other rivals.

On a side note, is N technically a rival? I know he's a reoccurring opponent, but he doesn't challenge the gyms or anything so you're not exactly competing against him in any way.
    Yellow League Champions

Zappy Charlie Cabbage Leonardo Penelope Chuck

Blue [Monotype Poison] 3rd Badge
    Cabbage Jr Hornet Elizabeth Bathilda

Biance for me.

Why? because she's gentle. Not a complete.... well not rude to you.

She tries to help and it was really nice watching her grow over the adventure. Plus I love that she was expanded on in BW2.

A helper to the professor suits her.

Great character arc for Cheren, he got in a lot of development that turned him into a really fleshed out character.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by Regi_Rocks View Post
    Biance for me.

Why? because she's gentle. Not a complete.... well not rude to you.

She tries to help and it was really nice watching her grow over the adventure. Plus I love that she was expanded on in BW2.

A helper to the professor suits her.
    Well Bianca was a sweetheart but at the same time she seemed like a pushover. Even Cheren seemed much better as a rival than her despite his whining. ^^

I'm going to have to say N. First of all, he looks fabulous and he had a pretty decent team. Not that the other rivals are bad or anything, but N just seems better to me.

Today is my birthday! :3

Hugh's a fox, but looks aside, I gotta go with Bianca. This post sums up my thoughts pretty well:

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    Her storyline was actually interesting, even if she could be a little bit annoying. Defying her father, going on her journey, realising that she isn't good enough (and admitting it!), doing what it right, finding her place as Juniper's assistant... it was different, it was interesting and I felt like she was a fleshed out character more than most other rivals.
    I really appreciate how they gave her such insight and took her character in a direction that set her apart from any previous rival. You repeatedly steamroll your rival(s) in every main series game, and here we finally have one who really reflects on that and uses those experiences to find a more suitable goal. It's not that losing means you should give up (she doesn't quit being a Trainer out of frustration or bitterness), but realizing you're not very good at something isn't the end of the world. You can acknowledge it, accept it, and grow from it. She may not be a strong battler, but that doesn't make her a weak individual. She's able to admit her shortcomings and learns how to utilize her strengths.

Cheren shows growth too, of course, but Bianca definitely stand out more for me. N's also really interesting, but like others have said, I don't think of him as a rival in the same sense.

On a side note, is N technically a rival? I know he's a reoccurring opponent, but he doesn't challenge the gyms or anything so you're not exactly competing against him in any way.
    That is true.

Still, I like N better than the other three, whether he's counted as a rival or not.

My top favorites

Claimed by me!

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - Sgt. Greg Parker, SRU

This was already explained in the OP. At the end of the main story you're competing with him to see who will be the hero. I was doubting whether to put him in the poll myself but I figured if I didn't, people would ask me why I didn't so yeah

Please post in these face off threads k thanks

Mega Evolution Face-Off | Save or Discard

I hate N.

Hugh's my favorite, he wanted to get Purrloin back the whole game and it was nice to have a rival who despises the villain team again.
    Every other cast member > Clemont/Bonnie

N 100% because he changed his team after every battle in Black/White and wasn't as annoying as Cheren and Bianca.

I'd say Hugh, but just because N doesn't really count as a rival imo.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast