Thread: Musicals

Default Musicals

What did you make of the musicals in BW/B2W2? Did you bother with dressing up your Pokemon in the most ridiculous way possible, or just ignored the whole idea while wishing Contests existed?

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Pokémon news, opinions, creative works and more. Now live!

I honestly liked Musicals for like a month when B/W were released. They weren't as engaging as Contests, but they were a nice distraction every now and then. I totally snubbed them in B2/W2 though.

When BW were new, I did them to see what they were like and as a way to kill some time. They were cute and fun at times, though I eventually stopped doing them once I got bored with BW and went back to my older games.
    I started participating in them again when BW2 came out. I did a lot of musicals on my White 2 especially, mostly because I wanted to get all the medals you could get for doing them.

Overall, I thought that musicals weren't too bad and I enjoyed some of the shows you could do & dressing my Pokemon up with props. However, I definitely preferred the Contests from the Hoenn and Sinnoh games and spent more time on them than on musicals. I liked the whole process of getting my Pokemon ready for Contests (Pokeblocks/Poffins, creating movesets, etc.) and then getting ribbons for winning.
    ~ * * ~

Well, I liked the idea of the Musical at first because it seemed appealing but after trying a couple of times, I wished that Contests appeared instead because Musicals weren't as intense in mechanics compared to Contests. But the only advantage of this was so that you didn't have to waste Pokéblocks and/or Poffins on Feebas to evolve it into Milotic.

Sugimori art used; quote from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
    Banner created by me
        Spoiler:- Claims:

Images from Bulbapedia, Banner from upload to Imgur

I found them really disappointing,to be honest.I only participated once with a Blissey and never tried again.Even Super Contests were far more enjoyable,although I wasn't exactly a fan of them either.

I like the musicals. Was a bit unsure about them at first since I had heard negative things about them, but once I tried them out, I found them to be great. I like how they are rather simple and don't take too long to complete as opposed to the 4th gen contests which I found to be too complicated and I think they took too long to complete. They also feel considerably less luck-based than the 3rd gen contests, so that's another plus. The musicals allowed for some fun strategies to win, even if I am still not sure exactly how the winner is determined.

In B/W, I played through the musicals in order to get all of the props that could be obtained from them because I wanted to get the Trainer Card upgrade for that, then I pretty much quit them as I had other things to focus on. In B2/W2, I used Memory Link to send over all Props from the first pair, so I didn't need to participate in the musicals for that. However, I still did them as there were seveal medals to get from them. The medal for getting 10 followers after a musical took a while to get, though I still had to participate in less than 150 musicals on each game in order to get it which was surprising but in a very positive way.

Overall, the Musicals are one of my three favorite minigames in the series, the other two being Pokestar Studios and Funfest Missions. Though I don't really miss them in games past 5th gen as I had enough fun with them in this generation.

I mainly just messed around in the musicals rather than really trying to get anything serious done. It's fun dressing up Pokemon like Hydreigon and Zekrom in ridiculous-looking outfits.

I know I tried musicals in one of my gen 5 games, but I can't remember which one.
    All I know is that didn't really like them, at all.

Honestly, I've never been one to participate in these games 'side activities' in general, whether it musicals, Pokestar Studios or Contests.

My top six favorites

Claimed by me!

Quote Originally Posted by graymelancholia View Post
    I mainly just messed around in the musicals rather than really trying to get anything serious done. It's fun dressing up Pokemon like Hydreigon and Zekrom in ridiculous-looking outfits.
    The props were my favorite thing about the Musicals honestly. I loved that there was more variety than the Contest accessories at the very least, plus having Pokemon hold odd stuff was amusing. :P

I did try some and the dressing up part was really appealing but I was disappointed that it wasn't used anywhere else.

Banner created by me

Been there done that, got the props.
    Shuckle is your worst nightmare...

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Altaria View Post
    I did try some and the dressing up part was really appealing but I was disappointed that it wasn't used anywhere else.
    The dressing up part was my favourite and I wished it was used more, too. I remember in the Gen IV games that you could dress up your Pokemon at the Jubilife TV building or the Goldenrod underground path and then get a picture taken. I liked that feature and it would've been fun to have a similar feature in Gen V where you could dress up your Pokemon with props independent of the Musicals.

Speaking of dressing up Pokemon, one thing I liked about Musicals was that there was no time limit for the dress up part. I didn't always like the time limit for the Contests in DPPt because I sometimes had trouble finding the accessories I needed since I had so many.
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 17th August 2015 at 7:16 AM.
    ~ * * ~

Quote Originally Posted by YouCan'tHandleTheShuckle View Post
    Been there done that, got the props.
    I got all the Musical props as well in both Black and White, but I still competed in Musicals for fun afterwards. It's not like there was much else to do in B/W's post-game.

What I wished to happen in the Musicals was to add ranks, similarly to the Contests. Ranks could make it more intense and as you go higher, similarly to the Contests, it's harder to appeal the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    The dressing up part was my favourite and I wished it was used more, too. I remember in the Gen IV games that you could dress up your Pokemon at the Jubilife TV building or the Goldenrod underground path and then get a picture taken. I liked that feature and it would've been fun to have a similar feature in Gen V where you could dress up your Pokemon with props independent of the Musicals.

Speaking of dressing up Pokemon, one thing I liked about Musicals was that there was no time limit for the dress up part. I didn't always like the time limit for the Contests in DPPt because I sometimes had trouble finding the accessories I needed since I had so many.
    The thing with not having a time limit in dressing up Pokémon for a Musical is pretty much the only thing why I would like the Musicals better than Contests, but I'm more of a Contest person.

Banner created by me

Sometimes I tried the musical once but I am not that interested to be honest since I am more into gym battles and defeating champion.
    Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Awaiting Pokemon Z and the next pokemon movie.

Currently own: All gen 4, 5 and 6 main series games.

Feel free to check out my hilarious signature!

Currently avoiding the giant chicken so I won't destroy half the city when fighting the chicken!

Oh no, oh no, oh no! Oh Yeah! Okay, can everyone please stop saying oh no in the court room cause the Kool Aid man keeps coming in!

Oh that dog of mine!

Oh haven't you heard? Bird is the word!

I liked musicals in black & white especially the downloadable one. I never got all the musical props however cuz I started focusing more on filling my dex. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Serena_san View Post
    I liked musicals in black & white especially the downloadable one.
    I vaguely recall downloading a Musical during the B/W days, though I don't recall playing through it much. I liked the usual Musical stage and I didn't really invest my time on downloadable content.

I messed around with them until I gotten the maximum possible number of fans, along with the highest rating for each musical.

Mostly used my Serperior and Hydreigon for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Serena_san View Post
    I liked musicals in black & white especially the downloadable one. I never got all the musical props however cuz I started focusing more on filling my dex. :3
    During the BW era, I only remember downloading the Munna downloadable Musical but I remember there was a Meloetta one but it wasn't available outside of Japan.

Banner created by me

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Mostly used my Serperior and Hydreigon for them.
    I used my Zoroark mostly since it looked good while holding certain Musical props. Arm-less Pokemon just looked awkward imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    I used my Zoroark mostly since it looked good while holding certain Musical props. Arm-less Pokemon just looked awkward imo.
    I used my Zoroark too i do agree pokemon like petilil and cottonie look awkward do to their lack of arms.

As for musicals i liked them when BW was new as time went on i became indifferent to them

Another thing I liked about the Musicals was, well, the music. In particular, I really loved the music that played during the Forest Stroll show. I played that show more than any other because I enjoyed listening to the music. It was a cute little theme imo.
    I also liked the theme for Exciting Nimbasa as well.
    ~ * * ~