Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th Gen Help Thread

Default 5th Gen Help Thread

Ask your questions about the 5th generation games BW and B2W2 here!

Please check the FAQ/Guide thread before posting your question.

Serebii.net resources:

You also have the previous Help threads for BW and B2W2 separately. Feel free to use the search function to see if your question has been asked already.
    Last edited by bobandbill; 18th July 2015 at 3:52 PM.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Pokémon news, opinions, creative works and more. Now live!

A Guide to Pokémon GO!

I'd like to play White, but the used card I bought bare won't let me override the previous game. Not much point playing if I can't save my progress, and without the instruction booklet I have no clue. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by blue bug View Post
    I'd like to play White, but the used card I bought bare won't let me override the previous game. Not much point playing if I can't save my progress, and without the instruction booklet I have no clue. Help?
    Before starting your new game, to delete the old save file, hold Up on the D-pad, Select and B simultaneously on the title screen. It should lead up to a menu which tells you if you want to delete the previous save or not. Delete it and start a new game. After that, you shouldn't have saving problems.

Sugimori art used; Peace to Dragons and Fairies
    Banner created by me

Thanks! I've now played long enough to discover the Help option on the game's PCs, and thought I would put in for other newbies that my issue and others were addressed there.

New question: How do BW handle berries? I haven't seen any indication that they show up, except as rare gifts from characters. Maybe the 4th generation games have spoiled me, with letting me grow all the berries I want. . . .
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 5th November 2015 at 1:03 AM. Reason: merged double post

Quote Originally Posted by blue bug View Post
    New question: How do BW handle berries? I haven't seen any indication that they show up, except as rare gifts from characters. Maybe the 4th generation games have spoiled me, with letting me grow all the berries I want. . . .
    You can get berries from some trainers (e.g. Pokemon Rangers) and some wild Pokemon can hold them, too.
    If you have B2W2, you can buy berries in Join Avenue from the florist shops (which are my go-to places for berries in Gen 5).

You cannot grow any berries in Gen 5, though. You were able to grow them in the Dream World, but that's been shut down.
    ~ * * ~

If you fuse a Shiny Zekrom/Reshiram with Kyurem, will the Kyurem have Zekrom/Reshiram's shiny colors?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
    If you fuse a Shiny Zekrom/Reshiram with Kyurem, will the Kyurem have Zekrom/Reshiram's shiny colors?
    No, it won't inherit Reshiram/Zekrom's Shininess.

Banner created by me

What games are required to complete the BW2 PokeDex? I want to complete it, but am not sure if I need to get another game.
    If you need a trade-back for trade evolution Pokemon, PM me! I will help you out! FC is in my profile. I am usually online.
    Currently trying to complete National Dex on AS.

If ya get the reverse frst games (Which means if ya get Back 2 you should get white to get the exclusives) you should get all of the Pokemon within two. Note there are some older gen Pokemon you can't get in any version of the 5th gen, which the 4 gen transfer system will get you the rest (as long as you got them in a 4th gen game).

Quote Originally Posted by jaredplayspokemon View Post
    What games are required to complete the BW2 PokeDex? I want to complete it, but am not sure if I need to get another game.
    It requires B2W2 themselves, Platinum, HGSS and Dream Radar (3DS downloadable application) at the very minimum, excluding event-only Pokémon. But if you don't have a 3DS, both BW must be purchased.

Banner created by me

And if you want to know which Pokemon you'll have to trade/transfer for, there's a list here (includes Pokemon that can be obtained from the Dream Radar).
    If you need to know the version exclusives for Black 2 & White 2, you can find them here.
    ~ * * ~

May I ask but how does the dream Radar works, if it connected to the dream stuff does that mean it does work anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Houka View Post
    May I ask but how does the dream Radar works, if it connected to the dream stuff does that mean it does work anymore?
    The Dream Radar is not connected to the Dream World or anything like that. It still works just fine (just played it on my 3DS) and you can still send Pokemon and items you collect in it to a B2W2 cartridge inserted into your 3DS.
    ~ * * ~

Can you get rare legends (Events like Celabi or Manaphy)? If not I really don't need it since I know how to acquire all of the basic legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Houka View Post
    Can you get rare legends (Events like Celabi or Manaphy)? If not I really don't need it since I know how to acquire all of the basic legendary.
    Some legendaries can be obtained from it, but not any event ones like Mew or Celebi.
    A list of the available Pokemon can be found here.
    ~ * * ~

Would Scald or Surf be better for a Samurott? I cannot decide.
    If you need a trade-back for trade evolution Pokemon, PM me! I will help you out! FC is in my profile. I am usually online.
    Currently trying to complete National Dex on AS.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredplayspokemon View Post
    Would Scald or Surf be better for a Samurott? I cannot decide.
    Scald in a competitive setting. Going for a 30% chance burn.

Surf in game. Because of slightly increased base power. Both Scald and Surf have the same PP.

Banner created by me

Okay... I'm incredibly new to both playing Pokémon games (although I've been familiar with the series through the anime for my entire life) and to this forum, though I've been lurking every now and then, for a while... and if I'm in the wrong thread/forum, then just tell me so... but I've been trying to beat Iris in Black 2 for a while now, and I need help.

My brother's told me that my team isn't strong enough and that I should train more, but I've been able to defeat 5 out of her 6 Pokémon and am confident that I can beat her, overall... since you guys obviously know more about strategizing and using teams to their highest potential, I thought that I'd ask for help here... my team is as follows:

Virizion, lvl 52. Knows Toxic, Flash, Giga Drain, and Sacred Sword.

Arcanine, lvl 54. Knows Flare Blitz, Heat Wave, Flamethrower, and Outrage.

Cobalion, lvl 53. Knows Toxic, Retaliate, Iron Head, and Sacred Sword.

Samurott, lvl 52. Knows Cut, Razor Shell, Aqua Tail, and Ice Beam.

Lucario, lvl 52. Knows Dig, Me Fist, Force Palm, and Aura Sphere.

Golduck, lvl 53. Knows Surf, Waterfall, Strength, and Aqua Tail (at lvl 54 he learns another move with a base PP level of 5, but I don't remember what move it is).

I need help ASAP... with my Pokémon Team, is it possible to beat Iris, and if so, how? I'll give any additional information, if prompted to do so. Thanks to all!

I looked on the site for this and couldn't find it, so I figured I'd ask here. Since they took down the Dream World, and that was the only place, at the time, to find certain Pokemon with their hidden abilities, how does one go about getting Pokemon like Vulpix with their HA on a BW1/BW2 game? Is there any way to do that any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrkvolt View Post
    I looked on the site for this and couldn't find it, so I figured I'd ask here. Since they took down the Dream World, and that was the only place, at the time, to find certain Pokemon with their hidden abilities, how does one go about getting Pokemon like Vulpix with their HA on a BW1/BW2 game? Is there any way to do that any more?
    Some Pokemon like Vulpix can actually be found in Hidden Grottoes in B2W2, so you should be able to get their Hidden Abilities by catching them in those.

For Pokemon that can't be caught with their HAs in-game & were Dream World exclusive, you'd have to trade locally with someone who got the HA Pokemon before the Dream World went down.
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 19th January 2016 at 5:46 PM.
    ~ * * ~

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Some Pokemon like Vulpix can actually be found in Hidden Grottoes in B2W2, so you should be able to get their Hidden Abilities by catching them in those.

For Pokemon that can't be caught with their HAs in-game & were Dream World exclusive, you'd have to trade locally with someone who got the HA Pokemon before the Dream World went down.
    Thank you for your answer, much appreciated ^_^ Sadly that is what I figured though.

Quote Originally Posted by FullmetalOddish View Post
    Okay... I'm incredibly new to both playing Pokémon games (although I've been familiar with the series through the anime for my entire life) and to this forum, though I've been lurking every now and then, for a while... and if I'm in the wrong thread/forum, then just tell me so... but I've been trying to beat Iris in Black 2 for a while now, and I need help.

My brother's told me that my team isn't strong enough and that I should train more, but I've been able to defeat 5 out of her 6 Pokémon and am confident that I can beat her, overall... since you guys obviously know more about strategizing and using teams to their highest potential, I thought that I'd ask for help here... my team is as follows:

Virizion, lvl 52. Knows Toxic, Flash, Giga Drain, and Sacred Sword.

Arcanine, lvl 54. Knows Flare Blitz, Heat Wave, Flamethrower, and Outrage.

Cobalion, lvl 53. Knows Toxic, Retaliate, Iron Head, and Sacred Sword.

Samurott, lvl 52. Knows Cut, Razor Shell, Aqua Tail, and Ice Beam.

Lucario, lvl 52. Knows Dig, Me Fist, Force Palm, and Aura Sphere.

Golduck, lvl 53. Knows Surf, Waterfall, Strength, and Aqua Tail (at lvl 54 he learns another move with a base PP level of 5, but I don't remember what move it is).

I need help ASAP... with my Pokémon Team, is it possible to beat Iris, and if so, how? I'll give any additional information, if prompted to do so. Thanks to all!

Well, you do seem to be a little bit underlevelled. First, I'd suggest maybe teaching Ice Beam to your Golduck. It doesn't need 3 water-type moves anyway. Maybe get rid of Aqua Tail? Waterfall is also a physical water-type move, so if it was a question of having both a physical and a special water-type move, you have both. Having a second Pokemon with Ice Beam will allow you to have a back-up Pokemon who knows an ice-type move if Samurott dies. Have an ice-type move is the key to defeating many of her Pokemon. I also wouldn't keep Cut on your Samurott. In fact, I'd never use Cut on any permanent party member., but that's just me. It's a fine move early game, but late game it's a normal-type power 50 move that really doesn't offer you anything, and having a better move in that spot would be more useful. Samurott can learn Megahorn via the Move Relearner in Driftviel City (the PWT). You need one Heart Scale though, but that move offers you move type coverage, has better overall power, and is great for dealing with Hydreigon (though I suspect you get past that just fine). It's still better than Cut regardless of super-effectiveness. If you have the TM for X-Scissor, that has 100% accuracy and doesn't require a Heart Scale. You could use that too.

In my opinion, you have a very "squishy" team. By that, I mean you don't have any Pokemon who can really take any hits for you. Say something fainted or needs to be healed. You can't switch to anything to take some hits while you heal/revive. Your Arcanine faints, you send out Lucario. You revive Arcanine, then in that turn or two, Lucario is now really weak or fainted. I'm not sure how your battles play out, but I can see that as an issue even with the two legendaries on your team. Iris has a super-effective move against both legendaries, though they have decent defenses. If you sent either out to "tank" some hits for you, it will likely still die in 2 turns (since you're under-levelled a bit).

To get to a point: I think you could beat her, if you play super-effectiveness and your resistances right. Which one of her Pokemon gives you the biggest problem? Which ones are you easily able to defeat without any issues? How often do you find yourself needing to use Revives/Hyper Potions? That information would help me to make suggestions for changes in your team besides what I already suggested.
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 21st January 2016 at 3:38 PM. Reason: Merged double post

Okay, this is going to be a weird question but I hope someone can answer this question. I don't know why this is a little bothersome for me, for reasons I don't know (maybe OCD), but I am looking for a character in the game that said something like, "hi! I want to be just like Clyde when I grow up," or something like that. (Clyde the gym guide.) I don't want to go through the whole game just to look for that guy. Hopefully someone can pinpoint a location for me. Thanks in advance!

Got back in with Gen 6. Now, I want to go back to some things I missed. What Gen 5 game should I start with? Looking for best plot.

I have a complete Dex on OR, Y, and a complete Living Bank (minus some event only pokes). So, the legendary and event pokes don't guide me in what game(s) to start or get. Going to get a copy of HG today to start some Gen 4 goodness. (Ho-oh > Lugia). Just need something to do between now and Sun Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomer View Post
    Got back in with Gen 6. Now, I want to go back to some things I missed. What Gen 5 game should I start with? Looking for best plot.

I have a complete Dex on OR, Y, and a complete Living Bank (minus some event only pokes). So, the legendary and event pokes don't guide me in what game(s) to start or get. Going to get a copy of HG today to start some Gen 4 goodness. (Ho-oh > Lugia). Just need something to do between now and Sun Moon.
    You can start with Black or White, then play its respective sequel Black 2 or White 2. That would give you the whole Gen 5 story in order, if that's important to you.

As for which version to get, you can look at the various "version differences" sections on the main site to decide.
    ~ * * ~

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomer View Post
    I have both games and both sequels. IMO get the White version. I find the White forest aesthetically pleasing and the exclusive Pokemon in that game are better if you ask me. Pokemon like Reuniclus, Braviary, and Thundurus settle there. AND then get the sequel, White 2 as it ties in very well with White version. They did a great job between both games. You won't regret it
    Last edited by Ne0n-H!tch'd; 4th May 2016 at 1:09 AM. Reason: Legendaries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast