Thread: Pokemon black and white: political struggles behind

Lightbulb Pokemon black and white: political struggles behind

1. What is black, what is white, ideal and reality, what is correct, what is wrong. Nothing is right or wrong in politics. In history, we know, only the winner is right.

2. The pokemon league, the symbolism of governments, rulers and the vindicators of the old order, control the order of pokemon world. N and the Team plasma, the symbolism of revolutionary, reformer or the party out of power, want to change the order.

3. Team plasma, under the leader of Ghetsis, was a perfect political organization. They had the purpose and ideal: to liberate the pokemon, which was the best way to attract people and win the support. Beneath the idea, it's the ambition of Ghetsis.

4. Elite four, the symbolism of millitary officers, they were controlled by the league. In the game, the elite four is so young that it seems a recent political purge just happened in the league. Alder, the champion, survived from the purge and became the political elder, as his name.

5. The Gym leaders, the symbolism of municipal party secretary or mayor, can be devided into several political powers. According to their ages, there are only three elders: Drayden, Lenora, and Clay.

6. Drayden, maybe the most powerful man in the in the Unova region and the symbolism of political elder, keeps the vital secret of the Unova region and the legendary pokemon.

7. Clay, symbolism of hugefamily or even warlord, controlled the economic lifeline of Unova region by taking charge of the Driftveil City, the Driftveil Drawbridge and the free trade wharf. He can even develop the twist mountain, which is the estate of the realm, so he can be described as the emperor of the west.

8. Lenora, symbolism of factions of league, is the owner of the Nacrene Museum, also the owner of warehouse. She is powerful enough to control the freightage and storage of Unova region. Also, she has an alliance: Burgh, who takes control of Castelia City, the largest and the most prosperous city in Unova region. They controlled the Pinwheel Forest and Skyarrow Bridge.

9. Skyla is the successor of her great family. She is the symbolism of Bureaucratic hereditary.

10. Several conclusions can be drawn: With the support of Alder, his fellows, Brycen and Marshal can get inside the leadership. With the support of Clay, Elesa also can be the Gym leader. With the help of Lenora, Burgh became the Gym leader of Castelia City. Only Cilan and his two brothers, without factions, became the Gym leader of a small south east city.

11. At the very beginning, the league was ruled by the elders, the most powerful giant, Clay, Alder, Lenora and Drayden, they contend for power and profit. But thing got changed after the rise of Team plasma.

12. Team plasma defeated the army of league: elite four and even the champion, it's time for dynasties change. But the protagonist, with the persue of the truth, defeated Team plasma and keep the old order.

13. Two years after the revolution of Team plasma, in white and black 2 version, we can see:
    Drayden and Clay remain unchanged, while Alder and Lenora got dismissed. So Drayden and Clay finally won in the political struggles.

14. In the revolution of Team plasma, the Alder is the man who should be in blamed. His fellow,Brycen, who failed to guard the Dragonspiral Tower and the seal of legendary pokemon, was also fired. Alder, himself, failed in the final contest with N and failed to keep the rule of league. They are the symbolism of loser. But Marshal survived, this is probably because he "is largely unaware of Alder's thoughts". Marshal is the symbolism of defectors.

15. Drayden and Clay won, so nowadays the champion is Iris, who was supported by Drayden. And Clay, keep maintaining his power and even larger, so he can take full charge of the twist mountain and all the treasure inside. So his fellow Elesa, who has an unclear relationship with him, still remained to be the Gym leader.

16. Cilan and other two fellows, they controlled the small south east city, they were out of the core interests circle. But in the revolution, they failed to s upport the league, so they were fired.

17. Cheren, who actively support the league and suppress the revolution, became the new member of the ruling circles. He is the symbolism of Political star. Also is for Bianca, who became the assistant of the professor.

18. Team plasma, the revolutionary, was split into 2 parties. One was coercion by the league, so they betrayed their fellows, they are the symbolism of neutrality. The other was stick to their ideals so they found their way in the dark, they are the symbolism of radical party or dissidenters.

19. And finally the protagonist, what role did he play? Why he did not appear after 2 years? He realized that he played a role as the figher of the league, he finally abondoned all the power and wealthy, he chose to look for N, chase after their dreams.
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 21st November 2015 at 7:47 AM. Reason: formatting

That's a fair bit of analysis of the BW characters! Thing is, given you're talking about the BW games here I'll move this to the 5th generation section.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Pokémon news, opinions, creative works and more. Now live!

Seems to be a quite legitimate theory in some points. Did a quick analysis and found that some points had game basis and others were fan comparisons with something else. But in the actual games, it seemed more like to me that those not in Team Plasma (other than the TP sector supporting N in B2W2) were thought of as hero(in)es and Team Plasma were trying to brainwash people with a new ideology in BW but seen as villains (the TP sector following Ghetsis) in B2W2.
    Last edited by Mega Altaria; 20th November 2015 at 12:00 PM.

Sugimori art used; quote from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
    Banner created by me
        Spoiler:- Claims:

Images from Bulbapedia, Banner from upload to Imgur

Thanks, I'm the new guy.

It's clear that you put a lot of thought into this, which is definitely commendable. This reminded me of these two NPCs in this house in Opelucid, one of which a former Team Plasma member and the other supports Team Plasma's goals. The thing is that both NPCs are standing at opposite sides of the room, facing away from each other, and each tells the protagonist to not tell their story to the other NPC. I thought this represented how divided people are on politics in real life, as both NPCs seemed to be fearing rejection for their beliefs by their peers despite both sharing common ground.

I did some formatting to the first post just to make it a little easier to follow along.

Anyway, it looks like you put a lot of effort into this analysis. Nice job.
    I've never really put much thought into analyzing the Unova games like this, so it was an interesting read.
    ~ * * ~

Wow, this is pretty impressive. I think that all video games are meant to be thoroughly analysed and looked into more deeply, and you seemed to nail the analysis all of these characters. Politics is a pretty deep subject anyway, especially for a game intended for children, but everybody seems to have their own interpretations, I guess. Anyway, pretty good job.
    A strong spirit transcends rules.

This was a really cool analysis! 5th gen is my favourite gen currently since i never had the chance to play X/Y and/or OR/AS, i've played it so many times and never thought of anything like this. Totally worth reading :]

Wow great analysis

Quote Originally Posted by siti View Post
    1. What is black, what is white, ideal and reality, what is correct, what is wrong. Nothing is right or wrong in politics. In history, we know, only the winner is right.

2. The pokemon league, the symbolism of governments, rulers and the vindicators of the old order, control the order of pokemon world. N and the Team plasma, the symbolism of revolutionary, reformer or the party out of power, want to change the order.

3. Team plasma, under the leader of Ghetsis, was a perfect political organization. They had the purpose and ideal: to liberate the pokemon, which was the best way to attract people and win the support. Beneath the idea, it's the ambition of Ghetsis.
    Yeah, and the solution for everything is the gray areas. "Nothing is black and white".

About team plasma and Ghetsis, they clearly represent the ideologic team. Ideology means in its simplest, an idea that covers the interests of a group and hides all other facts or evidences... This is strongly found in political parties, and Plasma represent it on it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by siti View Post
    19. And finally the protagonist, what role did he play? Why he did not appear after 2 years? He realized that he played a role as the figher of the league, he finally abondoned all the power and wealthy, he chose to look for N, chase after their dreams.
    The protagonist represent the truth, he/she is above all ideologies, and it is not controlled by the league, besides not being against it, aka, he/she is not blind by his own ideals, but can bring all together in a shared commitment, that's above ego and individual ideas. It made me remember of the farrewell scene, when N ask if you agree with him. You can chose yes or no. So, even if the main character agree with team plasma ideals, he/she fight with them because they are a extremely ideologic and corrupted team.

Although the protagonist could take the place of champion, the main character chose not, cause he/she neither cares for parties and mechanical organizations. The protagonist is the true revolutionary, and represent the true new "order". Specially the BW2 protagonist.

That's... actually pretty well thought-out. If I could add something, Roxie might symbolize a resistance counter-culture, which basically describes the essence of punk. Her and her band are against the whole system, something they convey through their music.