Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #32

Scizor...looks like a fast guy. But he's not. Nice typing, though, except for the whole 4x weakness to fire. Beyond that, nice guy.

Scarfzor
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
    Technician
    @Choice Scarf
    -Bullet Punch
    -Metal Claw
    -Pursuit
    -Bug Bite
    252 Atk 252 Spd

Hit hard with technician and get out. Bullet Punch is there if you want priority (or if you're still too slow). With the choice scarf, you may as well go with Metal Claw for a STAB move. Pursuit gets guys switching, technician bonus, yup. Bug Bite is your other technician STAB. Use Jolly nature to raise speed more, and decreasing its useless special attack.
    LEAVANNY FTW!!!!

Ruby Nuzlocke Challenge

Charlie Quincy Shane Flame On! Mrs. BluSky Roberta

RIP
    Eddie Mrs. Dash

Scyther@Evolite
    Nature: Jolly
    EV's: 252 atk 252 spe 4 hp
    Ability: technician

-Swords Dance
    -Aerial Ace
    -Bug Bite
    -Vacuume wave/Bullet Punch/Pursuit

Bulky swords dance poke. Vaccume wave kills steels and weakened opponents. Priority is your choice.

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

Scizor Counters
    One word. Fire. Scizor does not like Fire. Heatran can switch in fairly safely, outspeeds, and OHKOs with Fire Blast, watch out for Superpower though. Infernape can come in on a Bug Bite and Flare Blitz/Fire Blast it to death. Ninetales can come in on it's STABs, stop any rain and burn Scizor to a crisp with a Sun-boosted Fire Blast. Shadow Tag Chandelure against Scizor is an unfair fight as it resists or is immune to it's main attacking types, still be wary of Pursuit. Actually Pretty much any Fire type capable of taking a STAB Bullet Punch can burn Scizor. Cofagrigus gets a special menttion thanks to Mummy giving you a free turn while Scizor switches to setup or use WoW on the switch-in.
    Will-o-Wisp is a great way of crippling Scizor. Dusclops, Jellicent, Weezing, Rotom-A, Prankster Sableye etc. all make good use of it.
    Last edited by Aurath8; 8th August 2011 at 6:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by baseball.dude127 View Post
    Scizor...looks like a fast guy. But he's not. Nice typing, though, except for the whole 4x weakness to fire. Beyond that, nice guy.

Scarfzor
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
    Technician
    @Choice Scarf
    -Bullet Punch
    -Metal Claw
    -Pursuit
    -Bug Bite
    252 Atk 252 Spd

Hit hard with technician and get out. Bullet Punch is there if you want priority (or if you're still too slow). With the choice scarf, you may as well go with Metal Claw for a STAB move. Pursuit gets guys switching, technician bonus, yup. Bug Bite is your other technician STAB. Use Jolly nature to raise speed more, and decreasing its useless special attack.
    Thank you I like having credit for my work. About the 4x weakness for Fire: I just wanted to make a point that fire ruins you. Maybe I've gone a bit to far...
    3009 7432 7055

3 things about me:
    1. My mother tongue (if it is called that way) is not English (its Dutch, btw), so if I do make mistakes, sorry.
    2. Please send back a PM to me untill the trade is done. I hate it when people suddenly stop sending PMs.
    3. When I talk about a Pokémon in the POTW, I talk about its options in Random Matchup. So no UU, OU, NU, ubers or "drizzle won't activate swift swim" for me.

OH MY GOD STOP LISTING SETS THAT GIVE CB SCIZOR SPEED.

Please, please, please. All CB sets should be really using is U-Turn and Bullet Punch, and neither needs speed -- in fact, it's better to go after opposing Scizor, since then you can U-Turn out after they do and gain momentum in the rare case of a Scizor vs Scizor matchup.

Scizor has Swords? Where?
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    Swarm/Light metal
    @Focus Sash/Occa berry
    -Iron head
    -X-scissor
    -Baton Pass
    -Swords Dance
    252 Atk// 252 Spd// 4HP

OK, so here is something probably a little... different. A Baton passing Scizor, and one without Technician! That's partly because with this set, there's no point, as there aren't any moves equal to or below 60 base power. Basically, you set up Swords Dance, once should be good, but just to be sure, do it twice. You should survive the hit from the opponent due to the Focus Sash (or Occa berry, seeing as your only threat is Fire).

Then, you can start sweeping with Iron head and X-scissor, or baton Pass to teammates if your enemy has an unfavourable type (Heatran, for example). You can either use Swarm or Light Metal (Swarm is much more useful though, especially in combination with the Focus Sash).

But Scyther clearly does have 'em...
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    Steadfast
    @Eviolite
    -Steel Wing / Baton pass
    -X-scissor
    -Aerial Ace
    -Swords Dance
    252 Atk// 252 Spd// 4 Def

With an Eviolite, Scyther's defence raises above Scizor's, which it really does need, due to the fact that it has far more weaknesses. Again, this set is pointless with technician, so use Steadfast instead, or Swarm, instead. It should be noted that swarm is less preferable here, because of the absence of the Focus Sash. But The principle is the same. You set up a couple of Swords Dances and proceed to sweep, which Scyther will be more effective at than Scizor due to its higher speed. There is still the option to Baton Pass, but I prefer having Steel Wing, as it can take out two of Scyther's weaknesses (Ice and Rock, the latter of which is a 4X Weakness).

Scyther used to be a serious OU threat, with the speed and power to deal monstrous amounts of damage to anything. It's ultimate goal was and is to be the perfect revenge-killer, dealing quick and powerful damage and never getting hurt.

The addition of Stealth Rock to the metagame ruined Scyther, crippling its strategy. Nothing since the introduction of Scizor in 2nd Gen has ever lowered Scyther's usage so badly.

I was outraged when Scizor took Scyther's place in the spotlight. 2nd Gen was built around improving everything with the new Steel-type, but in my eyes, unlike Magneton and Onix, Scyther needed no improvement.

In my personal experience, Scyther can strike out of the blue and devastate teams, but with bulky pokemon like Ferrothorn used so often, its capacity in OU is rather limited. Always pair Scyther with a Rapid-Spinner or a strategic hazard-avoider like Magic Bounce Espeon, and stick to UU or RU when bringing out Scyther. I always put Scyther on well built teams that have 5 great synergic pokemon. In the last stages of each battle, I send out Scyther like a secret weapon to rip apart the remains of the foe's team.

My favorite moveset uses Pursuit, Aerial Ace, Bug Bite, and Brick Break to make good use of Technician, but a moveset with Feint, Reversal, X-Scissor, and Endure that uses Swarm and tries to get to 1 HP isn't too bad. Like I said, Scyther is best in the lategame, so make sure that the opponent's priority-users are gone before using either of these movesets.

One last thing that may or may not have been said already: Never use Scyther with Eviolite. It's the most insane thing I've heard, and stems from the incorrect assumption that anything that can use Eviolite should. Scyther is way too fragile to worry about defenses, and Life Orb or Choice Band will help its strategy the most.

I'm a huge Scyther fan, and I hope that the higher popularity of the RU tier will restore some of its faded glory.
    If you're creative, don't copy and paste this into your signature (Started by 3.14kachu).

Quote Originally Posted by svenosman View Post
    Scizor

Vacuum Wave is perfect for Steel-type Pokémon, thanks to the low Special Defence stat which most Steel-types share.
    Judging by the calculations I did before: not worth it. With maxed Sp Attack EVs and a booting nature (Something Scizor would have be insane to run), you hit 16% on Lucario. Yes, the ultra-frail Lucario. Again, not worth it.

Standardzor
    Scizor@Choice Band/Life Orb/Muscle Band
    Adamant nature
    Technician
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Bullet Punch
    ~Bug Bite
    ~Aerial Ace/Wing Attack/Swords Dance
    ~Superpower/Rock Smash

Pretty much the standard issue Scizor set. Bullet Punch is your main attack. Steel may have horrendous coverage, but what essentially amounts to base 90 power priority (10 higher than ExtremeSpeed and Sucker Punch!) is nothing to sneeze at, not with that Attack stat. Bug Bite is Scizor's other preferred STAB move. Due to being at 60 base power, between Technician and STAB, that's 135 base power right there. X-Scissor's not sounding so hot now, is it? And that's not even going into the possibility of swiping an opponent's berry! The third slot depends on your item. Aerial Ace and Wing Attack are for all intents and purposes the same thing, given the popularity of evasion clause, so unless the lower PP of Aerial Ace doesn't appeal to you for some reason, either one works. Swords Dance, it goes without saying, is only if you're not running Choice Band. As for the last move, Superpower is preferable if you're running a Choice Band set. The stat drops won't matter, as CBers tend to switch a lot anyway. Rock Smash is significantly weaker, but does get a Technician boost, AND has that sexy 50% chance to lower the foe's Defense.

Choice Band is the item that you'll probably see recommended the most, and not without good reason. Essentially +1 Attack is nothing to sneeze at, even if it comes at the cost of being able to switch attacks. Life Orb doesn't provide as much of a boost, but it does allow Scizor to freely change which move it uses. Muscle Band provides an even smaller boost, but unlike Life Orb, doesn't hurt Scizor, allowing you to potentially fake a Choice Band. Scizor hits so hard in any case your opponent is unlikely to know the difference.

As for the ability, only go with anything other than Technician if you lost a bet. Light Metal isn't worth it, as Scizor's Defense is too high for it to worry about Low Kick, and it resists Grass Knot almost insultingly easily. Even if Low Kick IS an issue, not worth losing the extra power from Technician. And Swarm... no. Just no.

Agilizor
    Scizor@Leftovers/Focus Sash/Muscle Band
    Adamant nature
    Technician
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Agility
    ~Metal Claw/Bullet Punch
    ~Bug Bite
    ~Rock Smash

Scizor has fantastic Attack, we've already established that. But what about its Speed? Base 65. Rather disappointing, when you consider what its pre-evolution, Scyther, is capable of. But, there's one thing here- Scizor gets Agility! With one move, Scizor achieves 458 Speed to complement its 394 Attack. Looking scary already. Metal Claw is actually the preferred STAB move here, achieving 112.5 base power between STAB and Technician. Agility makes Bullet Punch somewhat moot here, unless you really fear priority users. Scizor isn't frail by any means, and there's no priority Fire moves, so go with Metal Claw. To add to Metal Claw's appeal, it has the chance to increase Scizor's already sexy Attack stat by 1 stage. Swords Dance it ain't, but it's still a scary thought. Bug Bite is obvious, and NO SUPERPOWER HERE. You do NOT want to use a move that LOWERS Scizor's Attack! Not with this set! There is NO switching involved with this. Rock Smash is the way to go (can't believe I'm saying that).

Leftovers is the item of choice here, allowing Scizor to heal off any damage it takes while rocking the Agility. If, however, you live in fear of Fire, then by all means run a Focus Sash. Muscle Band is also acceptable for that little bit of extra Attack power.

Technician. Technician. Technician.

Specszor
    Scizor@Choice Specs/Life Orb/Wise Glasses
    Modest nature
    Technician
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Vacuum Wave
    ~Silver Wind
    ~Ominous Wind
    ~Flash Cannon

Yes, I see its Special Attack stat. I do notice, however, a few things. One, it's at least higher than that travesty of a Special Attack stat what that burdens poor Heracross. Two, Scizor has an actually decent Special movepool, made even more decent by Technician. And three, it has access to not one, but TWO moves that have the chance to increase all of Scizor's main stats by 1 stage each. Including Special Attack and Speed. Namely, the STAB Silver Wind. And Ominous Wind, which also gets perfect coverage alongside Vacuum Wave, Scizor's only special priority move. Hell, the only special priority move, period. Flash Cannon for STAB.

Choice Specs gives Scizor's poor Special Attack a much-needed boost, but doesn't give it the freedom to swap between moves. And with Vacuum Wave and Ominous Wind, moves that have stuff that's immune to them, this can pose a problem. Life Orb gives Scizor more flexibility, but less of a boost, and the recoil might catch up to you. Wise Glasses gives the lowest boost of all, but no recoil.

Partners:
    Politoed for starters. The rain waters down (really bad pun intended) the Fire moves that would otherwise spell Scizor's doom. It's also nice to have a Flash Fire Pokémon at the ready. Switch it into the inevitable barbeque and profit. Another nice partner would be... well... basically, any Magnezone counter.

Counters:
    Fire. Just fire in general. Anything with a Fire move will render Scizor useless unless Scizor can kill it first. Aside from the obvious, Scizor users should be wary of Arbok, and I know this from experience. Arbok can carry Fire Fang, and Intimidate waters down Bullet Punch enough to let Arbok strike back. Even scarier these days, given that Fire Fang now benefits from the Attack AND Accuracy boosts of Arbok's new toy, Coil. And the Defense boost from Coil also waters down Bullet Punch. I myself have been behind many Scizor KOs at the hands (figuratively speaking) of an Arbok.

Oh, yeah, and Magnezone is generally bad news for Scizor, especially if it's already gotten the stat drops from Superpower, or is locked into another move.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Here's my idea on the two. I'm better at movesets and possible items than natures and EVs.

Scizor
    Ability: Swarm
    Item: Occa Berry
    Iron Head
    Night Slash
    Bug Buzz
    Brick Break

Scyther
    Ability: Steadfast
    Item: Charti Berry
    Air Slash
    X-scissor
    Night Slash
    Vacuum Wave
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

counters: any fire pokemon that can take a hit
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Scyther is great, with a great 90 Base defence for sp.def aswell
    It can actually become pretty bulky, (Considering that porygon2 also has 90 base stats on those.) And with Roost it can hold up his own pretty well.

Scyther - Impish
    Technician @Eviolite
    252 Def, 252 Sp.def, 6 HP

- Roost
    - U-Turn
    - Pursuit
    - Toxic

Getting your enemy'd toxic is his role, also revenge with Pursuit is a neat one, for those low health poks. Roost is there to perform some Sweet stall for toxic damage, and it should work considering its pretty amount of defence with eviolite.
    U-Turn is there for incase you poisend your foe and you predict he will switch.
    Watch out for Rock moves and steel types, they are its weakness.

A weird set, but i like weird
    and maybe i use this set myself, to see how it will go.

Looking for active friend codes of people that love to do Multi battles.
    No skill level required but dont use Ubers. Give me a PM/VM with your friend code so we can become friends and enjoy some great Multi battles !
    my fc = 0705 4374 1566

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlingy View Post
    Judging by the calculations I did before: not worth it. With maxed Sp Attack EVs and a booting nature (Something Scizor would have be insane to run), you hit 16% on Lucario. Yes, the ultra-frail Lucario. Again, not worth it.
    Did you also used the effect of Technician in your calculation? BTW, there's also Endure/Reversal.
    3009 7432 7055

3 things about me:
    1. My mother tongue (if it is called that way) is not English (its Dutch, btw), so if I do make mistakes, sorry.
    2. Please send back a PM to me untill the trade is done. I hate it when people suddenly stop sending PMs.
    3. When I talk about a Pokémon in the POTW, I talk about its options in Random Matchup. So no UU, OU, NU, ubers or "drizzle won't activate swift swim" for me.

^EnduReversal is preffered on Scyther, really. The speed of Scyther makes it better.

I've not posted because I figured the obvious sets would become apparent. There's two that are most commonly used; Bullet Punch and Choice. Bullet Punch is the obvious and most threatening of Scizor's sets, and that's why it's the most common.

Bullet Punch
    Ability: Technician
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower/Brick Break
    -Bug Bite/Roost

The first of the best two. Technician STAB Life Orb 252 Atk Adamant Bullet Punch after a Swords Dance is the reason for this set. And if you decide to bulk up a bit with the EVs, he can take quite the hit. Superpower or Brick Break provide a bit of coverage, Superpower being a flat-out smash, and Birck Break is for longevity. Roost is also for survivability, however Bug Bite is an option for alternate STAB.

The next set is a bit less common now, but it's still well-off.

Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    -U-Turn
    -Bullet Punch/Iron head/Superpower/Pursuit/Bug Bite

This set is made so that Scizor can become, well, fast. U-Turn is the given, being able to switch out while causing damage is an obvious help, but the others are up for grabs. Bullet Punch is the great Priority STAB, Iron Head is a bit faster and can cause some Hax what with the speed and flinch, Superpower is a physical nuke, Pursuit is great for hitting people on the switch, and Bug Bite is Technician STAB. Typically, I'd prefer not to list so many options, but it boils down to preferance. In fact, you could probably edit this around and make it a CBset...

That's my word on Scizor.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

I run a slightly gimmicky Scizor set. I don't go for the normal sets, but a set based around Acrobatics. My set is as outlined below.

Spitfire Scizor
    Ability - Technician. No real debate about this. Bug is too resisted to use Swarm in some sort of Sashdance Sweep Set. Light Metal is an almost allround useless ability.
    Item - Flying Gem
    Nature - Adamant/Jolly
    EVs - 4HP/252HP/252SPD

Moves
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - X-Scissor
    - Acrobatics

The deal with this set is to find an opponent you can set up against, and then set up. It relies on either an opponent it can resist, or rain support, as I use it on my team. With the rain, it can take a max Sp.Atk Fireblast from a Hydreigon, and then take it out. The main focus of the set is Acrobatics, and is what differentiates it from other sets. Flying Gem Technician Acrobatics is, with a SD up, the equivalant of a free kill. With an SD up, you can one hit kill a Ferrothorn. Two, and it's almost definite.That is a very useful tool for a sweeper. This thing hits incredibly hard regardless, with Bullet punch for faster opponets and X-Scissor for a generally powerful stab. Other options here are U-Turn for situations you don't want to be stuck in, Pursuit for anything that runs, and I guess Superpower for Steels. This set works best with Rain support, but can take advantage of Sandstorm for increased bulk. Rain is advised because it eliminates Fire types.

TL;DR - Hit hard and fast, and abuse all the factors that power up Acrobatics, along with a standard Swords Dance Set.

Scizor , the badass pokemon. Like Tyranitar, he's not nearly as impressive as he was during the last generation but, just like his mountain destroying buddy, remains viable threat in the OU enviroment. Being that Scizor was such a popular pkmn last gen (and remains relatively popular this one) he has somewhat of a predictable pokemon. It will nearly always use Swords Dance then Bullet Punch unless its of the Banded or Scarfed variety, in which case it will likely use U-turn and switch to a fire resist. Since Scizor generally has 3 major sets to look out for (Life Orb+SD+BP+Roost, CB, or the occasional CS) that don't really differ in utility from each other, most players don't have a hard time handling this particular mon.

Scizor is not a pokemon that will be blowing holes into enemy teams during the current gen, but if used correctly, can be just what you need to disrupt your opponents flow and end the game in your favor.

A good Scizor supports his family
    Scizor @ Light Clay/Leftovers/Muscle Band*/King's Rock
    Ability: Technician/Swarm**
    Nature: Careful/Impish
    EV Spread: 180 HP/ 136 Def & SpD/ 56 Atk

-Bullet Punch/ Metal Claw/ Iron Head/ X-Scissor
    -Baton Pass/ U-turn
    -Tailwind/Light Screen/Safeguard***
    -Pursuit/ Brick Break/ Double Hit /Roost

The ev spread is a bit specific, and may seem unusual for a poke that's normally an attacker, but works well for him in his capacity to support his team. HP and defense ev's are for survivability, with remaining ev's keeping his attack at a decent value. With respectable defenses and a decent support movepool, Scizor finds a good degree of utility on baton pass teams as either a link or the final piece of a chain.

Bullet Punch is for priority, good for revenge killing and/or great if you can get a Sword's Dance or two passed to you. Metal Claw also gets technician boost, and gives a chance to gain/pass an attack boost. Use X-scissor (with Swarm of course) or Iron Head if your passing Speed to Scizor (Either by speed boost or agility passing) You can also use a Iron Head + Kings Rock if you want to try your luck flinch haxing (great if you can T-wave opponents before passing)

Speaking of Baton Passing, U-turn can be used over BP. While you'll break your pass chain, Scizor has a few support options that do not need BP'ed to be passed, making him a great psuedo-starting point of a BP chain.

Light Screen + Light Clay is self explanatory, while safegaurd can help protect against burns, paralysis (and poison) for your team. Tailwind is my favorite option here, because it can do wonders for your team. It boost your teams speed for 2 rounds, and persist even if Scizor gets Ko'ed the turn it uses it. Tailwind + U-Turn combos extremely well together, letting you scout, and the giving the pkmn you switch to a decent enough speed boost so it can set up pretty easily (BP works great to, passing along the boost as well)

The final move is all about utility. Pursuit for trapping fleeing pkmn, Brick Break for Steels/ Rocks/ Chansey/ Blissey/ Cloysters (and/or dark types not named Houndoom if not running a bug type move). Double Hit works well after an attack boost pass for breaking substitutes, and hitting pkmn that otherwise wall Scizor (Then again this fills a niche for support passing, so its bound be walled by some pkmn). Roost is for extra survivability if your not using Leftovers.

Thanks to its defensive typing and decent stats, along with its usually predictable, but variable movepool, Scizor makes a great addition to a BP chain. Keep in mind this set requires a decent BPasser to be viable (SD or Rock Polish passes from Gliscors are great, since it draws Ice attacks which Scizor handles with ease. Speed boost passes from Yanmega could go either way since it might draw a Fire attacks that Scizor hates so much. And Everyone loves a SmashPass, especially Scizor who can take Grass and Electric attacks without much problem) as well as a decent recipient of the boost it passes (Physical attackers/ defensive pkmn love being safegaurded against burn and poison respectively. Tyranitar, for example, love whatever status prevention/speed/attack boost Scizor can hand its way, plus sets up the field with sandstorm, which in turn boost Scizors SpD. Cloyster and other set up pokemon also love the speed increase from tailwind. Espeon loves to be the last link in a BP chain. At +6, with at least +2 to special attack, Stored Power and ShadowBall 2HKO or 3HKO the entire metagame)

No Batons? No Problem
    Nature: Adamant/ Impish
    Ability: Technician/Swarm
    Item: Muscle Band/ Light Clay

-Bullet Punch
    -U-turn
    -Tailwind/Safegaurd/Light Screen
    -Pursuit/Brick Break/ Roost

Simple enough Bullet Punch is your main attack, use U-turn to pass Tailwind. safegaurd or Light Screen (also use more defensive spread if passing light screen). Pursuit for hitting runners, Brick Break for blah blah... Roost for a little more survivability. This plays closer to the normal attacking sets (for those not comfortable with putting Scizor in a more supportive role) but with sharing Scizor's support options with his team.

Though perceived as an attacker, Scizor can be a strong player in a supporting role. While the set you use would ultimately depend on the other 5 members of your team, its not hard for to fit a supportive Scizor on any team.

Notes:
    * Can can always use Life Orb for some extra attacking power, though you need to run Roost to heal off the inevitable life orb damage. Also, there are better pkmn to run life orb with in a BP chain but it all depends on your team.

** If you get no useful boost from Tech or Swarm, I guess you can run Light Metal (cuts damage from weight based attacks). If only Light Metal cut weight and gave a speed boost...a guy can dream...

*** Feel free to substitute for SD/Iron Defense/Agility here. I find Scizor to be better at receiving boost and passing those along rather than passing his own boost. In any case the other options give you support you can pass with U-Turn if you don't want to give up attack spot. U-turn also gives you your supereffective hit against Darks and Psychics which is useful for taking out threats to your team.

The Dancing Punch
    Scizor: Life Orb/Steel Gem
    Ability:Technician/Swarm
    Nature:adamant/jolly
    EV's:252 attack/252 speed/4 HP

-Swords dance
    -Bullet punch
    -acrobatics/aerial ace
    -Night slash/X Scissor/Bug bite/Pursuit

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Want a clan? Check out my amazing clan "Forbidden Empires" (click image below for link)

Rate my team!!
    Clan Chat!

Credits to me for the FE leader UB.

Quote Originally Posted by svenosman View Post
    Did you also used the effect of Technician in your calculation? BTW, there's also Endure/Reversal.
    Yes I did.

My first futile attempt at making a POTW set, yay...

Let me run down its abilities and stats (of Syther):

Abilities:
    Swarm: Basically a Bug version of the Starter's abilities, neat-ish, but Syther's Type has too many easily exploitable weaknessess to work with this properly...Focus Sash? Nah!
    Technician: This is great! Many of Syth's moves are under base 60 damage. After accounting STAB, Bug Bite and Aerial Ace get like a base 135 damage, wow! something to stick with!
    Steadfast: the most prominent form of flinch is Fake Out, not particularly useful, though you'll probably know who runs it. although the Speed boost is good, Syther can already outspeed Garchomp, so Tech is best.

Statistics:
    Offensively, wielding a base 110 Attack is awesome, backed up by base 135 accurate move(s) with no drawback and an awesome Speed of 105, it would be scary... if he better offensive options...

Defensively, without Eviolite, he is pretty frail, even with his Defenses topping at a base 426 (asuming max) with Eviolite, his x4 weakness to Rock with other common weaknessess, includsing BoltBeam, and 70 HP is dreadful, although he dose have access to Roost, which is awesome for a Bug/Flying, but then again... no Lefties

Set(s):
    Scyth of Choice: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Ability:Technician
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EV's:252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

~Bug Bite/X-Scissor
    ~Aerial Ace
    ~Brick Break
    ~U-Turn
    Bug Bite hits harder than X-Scissor, and the additional effect of eating the target's Berry (which can prove to be useful, though Berries aren't too-too common) but Bug Bite is exclusive to Pt, HG & SS as move tutors, so X-Scissor is your replacement. Aerial Ace is your secondary STAB, which never misses and is powerful. Brick Break cover's most Pokemon his main options cant. If trouble arises, avoid trouble with U-Turn.

SD Scyther: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Technician/Swarm
    EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

~Bug Bite/X-Scissor
    ~Aerial Ace
    ~Brick Break/Quick Attack
    ~Swords Dance

See my 1st set for the first two moves. Brick Break provides decent coverage, but because of your freedom, you can choose Quick Attack as another option, as it chips off weakened foes. Swords Dance doubles your great Attack to awesome levels, laying waste to almost all that dont resist it's moves.

Defensive Scyth?: Eviolite
    Ability:Technician
    Nature: Impish
    EV's: 98 HP, 160 Defense, 252 Sp.Defense

Roost
    Swords Dance/Substitute
    Bug Bite/Knock Off
    Aerial Ace

With this set, your Defenses become topped up to 389 each (rounded up) and an HP stat of 305, or you can focus on one devensive stat and get up to 426. Roost heals you up and removes that pesky Flying-type removing your noteable x4 weakness to Rock. Swords Dance doubles your Attack (max:256 to 512) making him a semi-decent tank, or you can hide behind a Sub. Bug Bite is a STAB, though Knock Off, well, knocks off the opponents item, and gets the Tach-boost. Aerial Ace is your Flying STAB, if not your only one if you run Knock Off.
    B/W FC: 0862 7496 5200

(^Credit to Abagoora^)
    Art:Unvailable
    I can do one art project at a time JUST FOR MY CLAN! Note its done when its done, no deadlines and WAIT!
    See DevART for examples, No Animations!

If I ever sound mean, make a mistake, or break a rule, please be kind as to tell me before the trouble, I'd be glad to fix my mistake

Im not tolerant of others, im accepting of others!

I gots a Flipnote account! Click!

I Has A DeviantART! Click!

Destroyther
    Scyther@Choice BandLife Orb
    Jolly nature
    Technician
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Aerial Ace/Wing Attack
    ~Bug Bite
    ~Quick Attack/Feint/U-Turn
    ~Brick Break/Rock Smash

Scyther may not be an evolved Pokémon, but damned if it can't sweep like one. Aerial Ace vs. Wing Attack is your choice, but not really an issue, due to the popularity of evasion clause. Either one benefits not only from STAB but also from Technician, and they will both reach 135 base power. Yeowch. The same goes with Bug Bite, making that also a scary option, not even considering the option of swiping and eating the target's berry. Quick Attack/Feint gives Scyther a priority option. Feint is the weaker option, but it DOES cut through opposing Protects. And they DO both benefit from Technician, albeit not by much, with Quick attack reaching a not-so-whopping 60 base power, and Feint capping at 45. Ick. For the final move, one thing Scyther lacks that Scizor has is access to Superpower. Scyther's only means of inflicting serious damage to Steel-types and Rock-types is Brick Break or Rock Smash. Rock Smash gets a Technician boost, but only gets to 60 base power, versus Brick Break's 75. Rock Smash can lower a foe's Defense, but with Scyther's semi-iffy defenses and awful defensive typing, the foe's defense drop is kinda useless when you consider the fact that if Scyther's opponent survives the attack, Scyther's not likely to survive the opponent's attack. U-Turn is always an option over the Normal-type priority move.

You want Technician. Provides the much-needed power boosts to.. pretty much everything up there sans Brick Break and U-Turn. Swarm is situational, and Steadfast's chance to boost Scyther's already great Speed doesn't compensate for the loss of Technician boosts.

The item is your choice. Choice Band provides more power, but restricts Scyther to one move. Life Orb gives a lesser boost, but Scyther will be able to switch between moves freely. The recoil won't matter much, this Scyther wasn't designed to take hits.

Defendther
    Scyther@Eviolite
    Adamant nature
    Technician
    252 Def/252 Sp. Def/4 HP
    ~Roost
    ~Bug Bite
    ~Toxic
    ~Protect

Yeah, I know I just ripped on Scyther's defensive capabilities back there, but it DOES have the option of using the Eviolite, and 70/80/80 defenses don't totally suck. Roost is for HP recovery, Bug Bite can allow you to swipe the occasional Sitrus Berry, and it gets the Technician boost, Toxic is for additional damage, and Protect allows the Toxic damage to build.

Eviolite. Eviolite. Eviolite.

Dancether
    Scyther@Focus Sash
    Jolly nature
    Swarm
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Reversal
    ~X-Scissor
    ~Night Slash/Quick Attack/Feint

A very, very, very risky move in this day and age, given the prevalence of priority, Sand Stream, and even the odd Snow Warning, but Scyther can pull it off. Swords Dance ups Scyther's already formidable Attack to 638. Choice Band ain't gonna get you there, that's for damn sure. As Scyther is almost guaranteed to have activated the Focus Sash during the setup turn, it will be in prime position to unleash a full power Reversal. X-Scissor gets STAB, as well as the equivalent of a Technician boost once Swarm activates. 168.75 base power. To compare, a Giga Impact coming from Scyther is "only" 150. And even then, X-Scissor has no recharge turn! The last moveslot depends on what your priorities are. If your priority is coverage, then go with Night Slash. With Reversal, it gets nearly perfect coverage. If your priority is, well... priority, then either Quick Attack or Feint will get the job done.

Swarm is to provide X-Scissor with the equivalent of a Technician boost, as the set basically requires Scyther's HP to get within the range for activating it anyway.

Focus Sash is obvious.

Counters:
    Stealth Rock, and any users of Rock moves that can either outspeed Scyther or survive one of its attacks. Off the top of my head, AncientPower Yanmega comes to mind after a Speed Boost or two. Hell, a Trubbish's Rock Blast would do the trick, and it wouldn't even need all five hits. Stealth Rock is especially lethal to the Dancether set, as that relies on the Focus Sash working. Which it will not if Stealth Rock does its dark deed.

Partners:
    Scyther desparately craves Rapid Spin support to clear out them Stealth Rocks. Ideally, you'll also want a means of eliminating your foe's especially bulky and/or fast Rock move users. Conkeldurr resists Rock moves and plows Rock-types into the ground with super-effective Drain Punches. For the Dancether set, Politoed or Ninetales will be invaluable for clearing out potential sandstorms or even hailstorms.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Scyther has simply incredible defenses with Eviolite in RU, SDing on a weak neutral attack, and sweeping. This guy has better defenses than even Shelmet. Guess that's why he was banned from LC..

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

The more I look at it the more Scyther@Eviolite seems like a waste. Sure, Scyther has decent defenses for UU (Even with Eviolite he should never be used in OU) but he lacks any real resistances to take advantage of it. Scyther's weaknesses are common enough even in UU that, even with eviolite, a stab attack that he doesnt resist or take neutrally will most likely OHKO or 2HKO (and god help you if your opponent gets stealth rocks up and/or takes out your spinner)

Scyther has decent defenses, but a less than ideal defense typing. His movepool is set more for attacking that being defensive anyway. It might just be me, but Im not really into this fad of putting eviolite on any NFE pkmn just because. If your running eviolite on Scyther, your just wasting your Scythers potential (imo).

Also never run vacuum wave on a physical attacker like Scyther. Even with max SpA, positive nature, technician boosting, and choice specs, you'll never 2HKO even the frailest of Lucarios...

and since we're talking about special sets for Scyther:

A Very Special Bug
    Scyther @Choice Specs / Life Orb
    Nature: Modest
    EV's: 252 SpA/ 252 SpE

-Vacuum Wave
    -Air Slash/ Bug Buzz / Silver Wind
    -Air Slash/ Bug Buzz/ Silver Wind/ Roost
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/ Hidden Power (Flying/Ice)

Speed is respectable at 309, but Vacuum Wave adds priority and becomes the "Lucario killer". Next Two spots depend on item. If using Life Orb go with Roost and 1 more attack. If using choice specs go with two attacks. Air Slash/ Bug Buzz for power, and use Silver Wind for your Technician boost (and chance to raise all stats). Round off with HP fire to cover Steels or HP ice to deal with dragons and Gligar/Gliscor, though HP Flying can be used instead, giving you an extra stab that will likely confuse your opponent.

I should mention that max nature SpA Scyther gets up to 228 SpA before Specs (A point less than his Atk with a negative nature and no ev's...) This set is the best Scyther could possibly do going the Special route, and (in case you really were about to use this set) is quite possible the worst Scyther set you could run. Its probably one of the worst sets you could run on any pkmn (that is while trying to actually make a decent set), its just a mismanagement on the trainer's part to try something this... stupid.

In conclusion, don't run Vacuum wave on scyther. Scyther has a SpA stat that is beyond use, it wont do real damage to the frailest opponents, let alone mon's that are legit threats. Dont try for a mixed set, or a special set, Scyther just doesnt have the stats or movepool for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpotlessMind View Post
    A Very Special Bug
    That immediately made me think of Stephen Lynch's "Special Fred." Anybody who considers using an attack stat that terrible when the other is so great has either no clue (most likely) or a death wish.

Scyther and Scizor were never meant to use Special Moves for offense, though Struggle Bug has some use as "support" Move with its added Sp.Atk debuff.

It could help with a non-STAB Special attack that isn't Super Effective. Emphasis on could because they would only survive a hit like that once, if that. It won't work on White Smoke or Clear Body Pokemon, either, so be aware of that.

Unfortunately, slapping a Defiant Ability Pokemon built for Physical combat with Struggle Bug makes them a comparable threat. Bisharp can deal considerable damage that way, so it can be a tad unpredictable. By the same notion, it can help with Double/Triple Battles by hitting a Bisharp Partner with it to buff them (Bisharp pairs quite well with Scyther and their Moves complement each other quite well, but beware of Heat Wave/Lava Plume and STAB Surf/Muddy Water/Discharge).

Additionally, a Special Attacker who tries to clear the debuff by switching out risks a Tech-Pursuit to the face. Could help with some of the slower Special Attackers like Beheeyem, Slowbro/king, or any Pokemon that requires Trick Room Support.

Speaking of Trick Room, a Scizor with a -Speed Nature and low Speed IV has decent sweeping potential in one. Wonder Room can also help with Scizor's lower Sp.Def.

Anyone tried a revenge killing scizor?
    Revenge-zor
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Item: Choice Scarf/Band
    Moves:
    Bullet Punch
    Quick Attack
    U-Turn
    Pursuit
    Evs (Choice Scarf) 252 Atk, 128 Def, 128 Hp/SpDef.
    (choice Band) 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp.
    The idea here is using Scizors main two (that is to say physical) Priorities, U-turn and pursuit, so he can quickly (and effectively) dispatch most foes.
    The Choice Scarf Option is perhaps not so good, because of the priority, but it may be necessary for U-turn and Pursuit, but there are no Speed EV's in the choice scarf option. For the banded option you probably do need speed because otherwise you won't hit with U-turn etc.
    Mmmmm Steel types...

It seems to me, you lived your life like a Litwick in a Whirlwind, never knowing who to Klink to when the Drizzle set in, and i Sudowoodo like to know you, when I was just an Elekid , but the Litwick burned out long before the legend ever did...

Proud Member of "The Triumvirate"

Credit to Gladeshadow

Quite honestly the funniest thing that i have ever heard:
    Originally Posted by Zibdas
    I thought butter was a type until I was 6. I could've sworn there's a butter type...
    DFTBA

Best counter 2 scizor would either be..... heatren (except for super power) or a chandelure w/a focus sash held.

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Want a clan? Check out my amazing clan "Forbidden Empires" (click image below for link)

Rate my team!!
    Clan Chat!

Credits to me for the FE leader UB.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast