Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Community POTW #32

Well here I go....

Scizor

Scizor was one (If not the most threatening) Pokémon in last generation. The coming of new Pekémon who also compete for his roll, such as Excadrill with its high Attack stat and blinding Speed in Sand (That is so common this gen), and Conkeldurr with its humongus HP and Attack backed by Priority in Mach Punch, has somewhat disminished is usefulness. But do not let this discourage you from using Scizor. With its excellent typing, and useful resistances, impressive Attack, and the right moves, Scizor can fit into any team, and be a menace for the teams who are not prepared for it.

Abilities
    Swarm: Not a really good ability, but useful anywhow boosts your Bug Type moves by 1.5 when HP is below 1/3 of health.
    Technician: A really good ability and one of the main reasons why Scizor is a beast. It powers up moves with 60 Base Power or less by 1.5.
    Light Metal: Halves you weight, yeah not useful.

Big Bad Bug

Ability: Technician
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Leftovers/ Life Orb
    EV's: 248 HP/ 212 Sp. Def/ 48 Atk

Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    Bug Bite/ Pursuit/ Superpower
    Roost

This set takes advantage of Scizor's array of resistances. With the HP and Sp. Def investments it can set up with ease on resisted special attacks, such as Latios/ Latias/ Hydregon Draco Meteor (When they are Choiced), Reuniclus Psychic, Politoed Ice Beam, Gengar Shadow Ball, etc. Switch into any of this, Swords Dance as they switch, to skyrocket your Attack, and proceed to destroy stuff with a Priority Bullet Punch, and Bug Bite, when you're low on health Roost. Rinse and repeat.
    The other moves have each their own nich. Pursuit when you have already Swords Danced will blow the candle of Chendelure who would otherwise destroy you with a fire move. Superpower is useful when you can get Heatran on the switch.

Chosen Bug

Item: Choice Band
    EV's: 248 HP/ 252 Atk/ 8 Def

Bullet Punch
    U-Turn/ Bug Bite
    Superpower/ Brick Break
    Pursuit/ Quick Attack

Back from 4th Gen the powerful Choice Band set returns. Bullet Punch is your classic Priority move denting anything that doesn't resist it (And even some things that do). U-Turn is the move for scouting your opponents team while dealing a lot of damage. Bug Bite gets a Technitian boost. Superpower and Brick Break are your Steel killer moves who would otherwise wall you. Pursuit is for the fleeing Pokémon that think they can escape your rage. Quick Attack gets a mention since its your only way of hitting Thundurus and Zapdos.

Counters

Fire Types are your best bets in here, being Scizor's only weakness. And a few ones come to mind, mainly Heatran and Chandelure. Both resist Scizor STABs and cand fry it with a Flamethrower or a Fire Blast. Steel types also get a mention specially Skarmory and Ferrothorn but none can do any notable damage to Scizor, but they can get up Spikes. Be careful when using Skarmory because if it Roost's while Scizors Superpower's you get OKHO'ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeggyg View Post
    Anyone tried a revenge killing scizor?
    Revenge-zor
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Item: Choice Scarf/Band
    Moves:
    Bullet Punch
    Quick Attack
    U-Turn
    Pursuit
    Evs (Choice Scarf) 252 Atk, 128 Def, 128 Hp/SpDef.
    (choice Band) 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp.
    What's the point in running quick attack on this set? Anything that resists a stab Bullet punch either resists un stabbed Quick Attacks as well (Steel or Fighting Types), or is a pokemon you shouldnt keep your Scizor in on (Fire types).
    Pretty much any Scizor set with Bullet Punch/Pursuit is a revenge killer anyway, so I don't think a Revenge killing Scizor set is really nessecary, especially one that locks him into a roll he would've played anyway (while still having other options)

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateVictini View Post
    Best counter 2 scizor would either be..... heatren (except for super power) or a chandelure w/a focus sash held.
    Chandelure with Shadow Tag is pretty much the best Scizor counter, especially for Choiced variants. Scizor cant really do anything to hurt Chandelure and without Baton Pass, it's pretty much a guaranteed loss for Scizor (and just hope you don't get trapped while using a fighting move, that could be heartbreaking)

Shadow Tag Chandelure is unreleased.

OH MY ****ING GOD PEOPLE STOP POSTING SETS THAT GIVE SCIZOR DUMB EVSPREADS

Its unreleased as of yet, so i guess its much more correct to say when its released it will the be the best Scizor counter

Quote Originally Posted by SpotlessMind View Post
    Its unreleased as of yet, so i guess its much more correct to say when its released it will the be the best Scizor counter
    Not really, tbh. It actually really hates switching into CB Scizor's U-Turns -- they strip off a solid 25% or so, and combined with Rocks and possibly spikes and sandstorm, that's a ton of damage you're taking just from switching in. It's much more reliable to counter with something that takes less damage from U-Turn, the main move CB Sciz is using. However, ST Chandelure is arguably the best Scizor check that there is.

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    OH MY ****ING GOD DUMB PEOPLE STOP POSTING SETS THAT GIVE SCIZOR EVSPREADS
    Fixed. People who don't understand things like Priority and Weaknesses should leave the EV spread mechanics to the experts. Speed is not needed on Scizor due to Bullet Punch and (if you decide to use any of them) Quick Attack, Feint, or Vacuum Wave.

Sp.Def EVs are somewhat a waste due to a QUAD FIRE WEAKNESS and a popularity of having so many Pokemon that learn Flamethrower. One shot without a Focus Sash will ruin you anyway due to low base HP (Base 70 gives you a maximum of 344 HP), but defending against priority attacks (aside from V.Wave) entails pouring on Defense EVs.

Even then, you would be an idiot to try anything except running away from a Fire Type with Scizor. However, this leads into a potential counter-strategy of sending in Zoroark to appear as a Flame Body Ability Fire Type (such as Volcarona or Magmortar) then hitting a fleeing Sciz' with Pursuit.

Tackling a threat like Scizor means you have to know how to properly use it yourself. When you understand the intricacies, you can counter it. Luck plays a very small part unless you can mess with your opponent's head.

I use a physical Scyther in Singles, and a special Scizor in Doubles. No one probably cares about the Doubles set, so I'll just post the Singles one.

Adamant Nature (+Attack -Sp. Attack)
    Item: Focus Sash
    252 Attack 252 Speed 6 Sp. Attack

Quick Attack
    Swords Dance
    Wing Attack/Bug Bite/X-Scissor
    Pursuit/Brick Break

Mine currently runs the leftmost move in each row. I'd run Bug Bite but I bred this Scyther in 5th gen so I can't.

Anyways, the main gimmick here is Swords Dance boosted Quick Attacks. They don't pack as much punch as Scizor's Bullet Punches (no pun intended), but can still pull off very respectable damage to most Pokemon. Focus Sash ensures that you can get off at least one Swords Dance, unless there's a Sandstorm or Hailstorm raging.

Wing Attack serves well on Bug and Fighting types, and it benefits from Technician, but a Bug move is better for Psychic and Dark types. Brick Break is there because without it, this set is stopped cold by Steel types. Scyther doesn't get Superpower, so it will have to do. If you don't run Brick Break, the Steels will have to be handled by another Pokemon.

You could also run a bulky Eviolite Scyther with Roost. The other moves could be attacking moves, boosting moves, and/or Baton Pass.

Oh, and I forgot this until I read another post... Scyther HATES rocks. ALWAYS run a Spinner if you use Scyther. I prefer Starmie, but any Spinner will work.

The choice between Scyther and Scizor is completely up to the trainer. If you want something faster with Ground immunity and have something for Rock attacks, go with Scyther. If you would prefer bulkiness, resistances, Poison immunity, a bit more power in exchange for low Speed, and have something to deal with Fire attacks, go with Scizor.
    Last edited by ClefairyRox; 11th August 2011 at 2:14 PM.

Guess i'll do Scyther.

I wish I was a Scizor

Scyther@Choice Band
    Nature: 252 atk/4 def/252 spd

Quick Attack
    Aerial Ace
    Pursuit
    U-Turn/Bug Bite

Pretty much abusing technician. Aerial Ace is stab and after Technician gets 120 base power. Add that to the choice band and you're wrecking anything. Pursuit catches Psychics unnaware, and technician boosts. Quick attack is scythers only priority move, and gets technician boost also. U-Turn os staple on a CB set, or Bug Bite gets stab and Technician Boost.

Trying to be like my big brother and doing a decent job of it

Scyther@Eviolite
    Nature: Adamant 156 hp/ 228 atk/ 124 spd

Swords Dance
    Aerial Ace
    Brick Break
    Roost

Aerial Ace and Brick Break will give you the best coverage. Roost and Swords Dance are obvious'. This set is essentially the same as the SD/Roost Scizor set.. only 4x weak to stealth rock and with more general weaknesses.

WHEN USING SCYTHER ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPINNER OR MAKE SURE ROCKS ARE NOT SET UP.
    "Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?" Bill Hicks, Dec 16th 1961 - Feb 26th 1994

Scizor @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature (+Attack -Sp Attack)
    252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    -Bullet Punch
    -Swords Dance
    -X-Scissor/Bug Bite/U-Turn
    -Pursuit/Brick Break
    Champion Teams:
    Leaf Green:
    Soul Silver:
    Emerald:
    Diamond:
    White:

...Does Pursuit get the Technician boost if the opponent is switching out?

Random question, but it would be a great thing to know. Or put it in the Overview, if it's that good. but I'm not pushing ._.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post

Sp.Def EVs are somewhat a waste due to a QUAD FIRE WEAKNESS and a popularity of having so many Pokemon that learn Flamethrower. One shot without a Focus Sash will ruin you anyway due to low base HP (Base 70 gives you a maximum of 344 HP), but defending against priority attacks (aside from V.Wave) entails pouring on Defense EVs.

Even then, you would be an idiot to try anything except running away from a Fire Type with Scizor. However, this leads into a potential counter-strategy of sending in Zoroark to appear as a Flame Body Ability Fire Type (such as Volcarona or Magmortar) then hitting a fleeing Sciz' with Pursuit.
    Sp. Def. Ev's aren't really a waste if your planning to lure specials, like baiting with a Gliscor or Dragon Type to draw choiced Ice Beams or Draco Meteors for example which Scizor can handle relatively fine with a few investments. Though Im pretty sure if someone used Ember on a mon with a decent Spec Attk they'd murder Scizor none the less. Actually scratch that, Spec Attacks are what light screen + spec. defensive ev's are for, even though you should never try to take a fire attack anyway

Zoroark isn't really a surefire strategy though. If if happens to get hit with a U-Turn on the switch not only does Zoroark take some massive damage, but the illusion is ruined. (which is easy enough to predict on Pokemon Online due to team preview) And unless your switching from Scizor to Jelicent, I dont see Zoroark taking advantage of that situation. Also with some defensive ev's Scizor can take a Pursuit pretty well (Actually Scizor resists dark type moves anyway right? So the Def. ev's probably arent even necessary)

Also never talk about using Vacuum wave with Scizor/Scyther... thats just no good

Finally!

Scizor has been my all time favourite Pokemon ever since I was first checking out the new Pokemon when Gold and Silver were announced. My first introduction to Steel types (which also immediately became my favourite type) I almost can't even play Pokemon if I can't use Scizor.

Almost.

Anyway, here are my preferred sets:

Voyager (A.K.A. Bulky Band)
    Nature: Adamant/Careful
    Item: Choice Band
    EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Att/ 4 Sp. Def
    Attacks:
    Bullet Punch
    Superpower
    U-turn
    Pursuit/Quick Attack

A bulkier version of the standard Choice Scizor, I'm basically assuming that Voyager will only ever be catching opponents on the switch. Obviously U-turn becomes the move of choice until all of his potential counters are accounted for. Bullet Punch and Superpower are there for breaking holes in the party wherever the chance appears. The decision between Pursuit and Quick Attack is a matter of preference, Pursuit is typically expected of a Choice Scizor so Quick Attack sometimes is tempting for a surprise priority attack that isn't resisted by many of Scizor's counters. It's not perfect, but I must mention this DID once survive a Fire attack in Battle Tower.

Giro (A.K.A.Reversal)
    Ability: Swarm
    Item: Liechi Berry/Focus Sash
    Evs: 4 HP/ 252 Att/ 252 Speed
    Attacks:
    Reversal
    X-Scissor
    Agility
    Endure/Substitute/Bullet Punch/Iron Head/Night Slash

A classic set, passable in 2nd Gen, good in 3rd Gen, much improved by 4th Gen but outclassed by Lucario, but I still like it and this one carried me through Battle Hall. Reversal and Agility are core to the set, and X-Scissor gets in ahead of Bug Bite because the Swarm boost makes it superior. The final move is up to preference. If you use the Liechi Berry then Endure or Substitute are your two choices for getting your HP to 1, obviously neither are options when holding the Focus Sash so you'll want another attack added here, Bullet Punch and Iron Head get stab, without Technician Bullet Punch loses a bit of power but the priority is still tempting, while Night Slash will handle Chandelure which can RUIN you.

In the end, Scizor will likely forever be my favourite whether it's a second rate baton passer in the 2nd Generation or everyone's favourite priority abusing superbug in the the 4th Generation and beyond. I can't wait to send Voyager over to my White Version.
    The only real Persian is a shiny Persian.

Platinum Friend Code: 2149-9791-3574
    White Friend Code: 5029-3447-3273

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post

Random question, but it would be a great thing to know. Or put it in the Overview, if it's that good. but I'm not pushing ._.
    The double damage on an opponent's switch is a multiplier, not an increase in Base Power, so it does stack with Technician. Similarly, Revenge, Payback, and Avalanche are the same way with it being a multiplier and not a Base Power increase. Any Move that has conditional increases in power do not get an increased Base Power, just a multiplier on the damage dealt.

Short Version - Pursuit will always get a Technician boost.

^Alright, I was pretty sure but I wanted another's comfirmation.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Yeah, just a reminder to people to give Scizor a max of 248 HP EVs. This lets him take one less point of damage from Stealth Rock than 252 HP EVs, actually increasing his bulkiness. I'd personally put the remainder in SpD. Keeping them out of Spe will allow you to have a slower U-Turn than other Scizor, which can be an advantage in a few situations. Also, the extra special defense will allow Scizor to check things like Lati@s a little more efficiently.

Dance Party!
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Att/ 4 Spe
    @: Focus Sash

Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    X-Scissor
    SuperPower

I love this set, Scizor becomes such a beast.

Spoiler:- credit:

Scyther Counters
    Compared to it's bigger brother, Scyther is a lot easier to counter thanks to it's worse Defences(bar Eviolite), Attack and typing than Scizor. It does have a huge 105 Speed stat though making it much harder to Revenge kill.
    Rock types must be immediately considered thanks to resisting it's STABs and Quick Attack. Regirock, Rhyperior, Golem, Gigalith, Tyranitar, Almardo. As long as it has enough defence to take boosted Brick Breaks and hit back with Stone Edge it can handle Scyther well. Steel types do a similar job, except they resist Pursuit but can't hit it for STAB supereffective damage. Registeel, Forretress, Skarmory, Steelix, Magnezone, Metagross, Bronzong.
    All Steel/Rock types get a special mention for dually resisting it's STABs and Quick Attack. Aggron, Bastiodon and Probopass. They have to be careful of boosted Brick Breaks though.
    Ghost types like Spiritomb, Prankster Sableye and Dusclops, can come in on any move and Will-o-Wisp Scyther, rendering it useless unless it's a Baton Passer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    Scyther Counters
    Compared to it's bigger brother, Scyther is a lot easier to counter thanks to it's worse Defences(bar Eviolite), Attack and typing than Scizor. It does have a huge 105 Speed stat though making it much harder to Revenge kill.
    Rock types must be immediately considered thanks to resisting it's STABs and Quick Attack. Regirock, Rhyperior, Golem, Gigalith, Tyranitar, Almardo. As long as it has enough defence to take boosted Brick Breaks and hit back with Stone Edge it can handle Scyther well. Steel types do a similar job, except they resist Pursuit but can't hit it for STAB supereffective damage. Registeel, Forretress, Skarmory, Steelix, Magnezone, Metagross, Bronzong.
    All Steel/Rock types get a special mention for dually resisting it's STABs and Quick Attack. Aggron, Bastiodon and Probopass. They have to be careful of boosted Brick Breaks though.
    Ghost types like Spiritomb, Prankster Sableye and Dusclops, can come in on any move and Will-o-Wisp Scyther, rendering it useless unless it's a Baton Passer.
    Pranksters with Status Effects are a huge hassle to any Scyther built for offense...so, basically, any non-Baton Passer Scyther. Burns, Toxic Poison, and Paralysis are all factors Scyther hates to see.

Taking maximum percentile damage from Stealth Rock hurts Scyther users a lot, so Pokemon that can soak a hit using it (very likely for Rock and/or Steel Types) will make any Scyther's job (especially Baton Pass Scyther) much harder.

Scyther's high Speed can also be an issue for Gyro Ballers to exploit. A STAB Gyro Ball with low enough Speed (and maybe a Curse or two) can rip into Scyther like a jagged, flaming rock through tissue paper.

Faster Pokemon with Super Effective STAB Moves like Electrode, Aerodactyl, Jolteon, Zebstrika, Swellow, Crobat, Weavile, Froslass, Galvantula, Infernape...stop me at any time because I've got a doozy of a list...anything using a boosted Ice Shard (like Mamoswine or Lapras) or Rock Blast (Tech-Cinccino or Shell Smash Cloyster)...you know what? Just pick something with a huge damage output and smack Scyther upside the head with it. Eviolite can only do so much, after all...

I don't see any Syther revange killer set so here is.

UU wrost nightmare
    Syther@Life orb/Choice band/Choice scarf
    Technician
    Adamant/Jolly
    EV:252 atk/252 speed/4 def
    Aerial ace
    U-turn
    Quick attack
    Pursuit

Aerial ace does massive damage thanks to technician. U-turn is cheap with chice band or life orb. Quick attack is neededif if not using jolly or choice scarf. Pursuit if you predict a swith. This set is realy annoying but is easy blocked by stealth rock so a rapid spiner is needed (a bulky Blastoise is amazing in this job).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Pranksters with Status Effects are a huge hassle to any Scyther built for offense...so, basically, any non-Baton Passer Scyther. Burns, Toxic Poison, and Paralysis are all factors Scyther hates to see.

Taking maximum percentile damage from Stealth Rock hurts Scyther users a lot, so Pokemon that can soak a hit using it (very likely for Rock and/or Steel Types) will make any Scyther's job (especially Baton Pass Scyther) much harder.

Scyther's high Speed can also be an issue for Gyro Ballers to exploit. A STAB Gyro Ball with low enough Speed (and maybe a Curse or two) can rip into Scyther like a jagged, flaming rock through tissue paper.

Faster Pokemon with Super Effective STAB Moves like Electrode, Aerodactyl, Jolteon, Zebstrika, Swellow, Crobat, Weavile, Froslass, Galvantula, Infernape...stop me at any time because I've got a doozy of a list...anything using a boosted Ice Shard (like Mamoswine or Lapras) or Rock Blast (Tech-Cinccino or Shell Smash Cloyster)...you know what? Just pick something with a huge damage output and smack Scyther upside the head with it. Eviolite can only do so much, after all...
    Yeah, personally this is why I wouldn't use Scyther in OU, and why I wouldn't bother with using Eviolite on Scyther at all. Yes, Eviolite makes its defenses decent, but the 4x weakness to Stealth Rock (which is still common enough) and its many other weakness means that it cant afford to switch around alot, and just about every enemy will be packing a move thats super effective against it. It'll be getting smacked around around so much that eviolite wont really matter, which is why I'd much rather uses an item to boost speed or attack rather than defenses. Scyther's typing is far from defensively minded, so it doesnt make sense to me to try and play him as a defensive pokemon.

Scyther wouldnt last five minutes in OU, even with an extremely surprising gimmick set, as pretty much everything can take what it dishes out and hit it twice as hard in return.

sidenote: why is every other set maxing out HP & attack? Thats bad ev training

I use this beast of pwn.
    Scizor@lifeorb
    Adamant
    252hp/252atk/4spd
    Techniction
    bullet punch
    bugbite
    swords dance
    pursuit.

I actually take advantage of his respectiable bulk and of techniction.
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

i was just looking at the overall base stats totals (dont ask why i was just bored) and was blown away to see that syther and scizor have the same totals in base stats at 500. now i dont question the fact that half of the sets here are for scyther (doesnt add anything to the sets i know but im still kinda shocked)

I have a pretty big question. How much Base Power does Scizor's Bullet Punch have? I mean, is it 80 or 90 BP?

That out of the way, let's have some Scizor counters. Heatran. This guy counters Scizor unless it has SD Superpower. Heatran resists U-Turn, Bullet Punch, and Pursuit. If you don't have Heatran, use a bulky water that is not weak to Bug attacks. Stuff like Suicune, Milotic, Jellicent, any Water-type that can take a hit and burn with Scald or Will-o-Wisp. If that's not an option, revenge-kill it. Scizor is rather slow, so any faster Fire or Steel type can take its Bullet Punch and destroy it. This method is not recommended because Scizor almost always has U-Turn in addition to Bullet Punch. If you don't have any of these methods to defeat Scizor, then, good luck and good game.
    Just ignore my post count, I've been a lurked for 2 years now and I know how to play Pokémon.

I need someone to teach ne how to RNG abuse and what programs to use. Please VM me!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain

The double damage on an opponent's switch is a multiplier, not an increase in Base Power, so it does stack with Technician. Similarly, Revenge, Payback, and Avalanche are the same way with it being a multiplier and not a Base Power increase. Any Move that has conditional increases in power do not get an increased Base Power, just a multiplier on the damage dealt.

Short Version - Pursuit will always get a Technician boost.
    I know that this is of no set info or anything, but when building a set, remember this:
    Bulbapedia:
    Technician increases the base power of all moves which have a base power of 60 or less by 1.5×.
    For moves with variable base power, Technician will only apply if the base power is 60 or less when used. Thus, Pursuit will not get a Technician boost if the opposing Pokémon switches and Pursuit's base power doubles to 80. Similarly, if a move like Avalanche is used by a Pokémon previously damaged in the same turn, which doubles Avalanche's base power to 120, then Technician will not be applied.
    The effect does not apply to confusion damage, which remains at a base power of 40.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234