Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think Cilan's personality was changed from the games?

Default Why do you think Cilan's personality was changed from the games?

In the games, Cilan is shy and awkward, as opposed to his hotheaded brother Chili and his other, suave brother Cress.
    However, in the anime, Cilan is flamboyant, overdramatic, and...fabulous, for lack of a better word.
    Why do YOU think the change occurred?

I think they wanted Cilan to have a diffenerent personality in the games. He says "um" a lot in the games, which really annoyed me. His animé personality was much better.

If you think about it, Brock's game and animé personality are also different. I like his game personality better.

Help Staryu, will you?

I have claimed Houndoom.
    When you start something, finish it.

Probably because his shyness and meekness would get annoying and they wanted a pretty boy Tamaki-esque character. He's still pretty weird though...xD
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Theres not enough of a character in the game :S

How can you tell the difference, i think it's just development really for a more extended role.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    Theres not enough of a character in the game :S

How can you tell the difference, i think it's just development really for a more extended role.
    Dento (in games): I umm....umm...just can't...um....get into the right tempo for um...the dance.....

Dento (in anime): *hooking a fish* Not all all! We're waltzing right now >:]

Not much character in the games.
    Lots of it in the anime though.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

Perhaps to just do something different from the games. Maybe they thought the Cilan in the games wouldn't be liked that much through out the Anime so they made him different and took the chance to see if he'd be liked. I think they made the right call.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

In the games, Cilan seems like the type of shy, selfless character who feels as if his cover (Striaton Triplets = Shadow Triad, people!) is about to be blown. This wouldn't translate well into the anime, and if they gave him the game characterization then he'd be torn apart horribly, just like poor Tracey Sketchit from the Orange Islands saga. This element of sheer fabulousness is utterly delicious anyways, so why would anybody want that awkward guy from the games as a main character?

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Maybe so to make him interesting. The last one that was on was there but yet he wasn't. So why not start with something fresh?

My ideal battle ever!

He wasn't fabulous enough.

Ro fair Ash's other game oriented traveling companions did not act like their in-game counterparts. Maybe borrowing one or two traits from there.

Do the gym leaders ever have a personality in the games? It seems they get one in the anime. Only ones that had one in my eyes is Volkner and Whitney.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraMaster View Post
    Do the gym leaders ever have a personality in the games? It seems they get one in the anime. Only ones that had one in my eyes is Volkner and Whitney.
    They have them, but they aren't developed well since they're minor characters. The more noticeable ones are Clair, Wattson, Candice, Misty, Green, etc.

Cilan? What about Iris? Her personality is also different.

It's the effect of hanging around with Ash. He can change people, man.
    There's an Arceus in my cereal. WHUT.

Current team in White:

Magikarps, man.

Click my somewhat accurate Kyurem for my DA page. :U

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Cilan? What about Iris? Her personality is also different.
    Not as different as Cilan's. It's much more jarring with Cilan.

Perhaps they thought that since Cilan was there for the long run, he needed a more noteworthy personality. Also, I think that an eccentric and flamboyant character contributes to the humour more. In an anime like Pokemon, shy and awkward characters just aren't that entertaining, in my opinion. They're better suited to the drama and romance genres.

I recommend! During the promotions

http://bit.ly/rqZvkX

I think hes cooler in the anime. I found his stutter in the game quite annoying.

I love all of em really. XD

I brought this up on Bulbagarden months ago and got pretty much the same response (that is, "His anime personality is more interesting/He didn't have one in the games to begin with/Not fabulous enough, lol!"). I actually think Cilan would have been better off with his game personality, though, not just because it's a more accurate reflection of the game's content (as an adaptation should be, dammit!), but also because I think a shy, shrinking violet-type character would have brought something new to the dynamics of Ash's group. For one thing, he would have avoided the pitfall of becoming the new "cooking/general caretaker" guy that the older male of the group always becomes, plus it would make for an interesting story arc to see him gradually come out of his shell and grow into a more confident trainer and Gym Leader.

But, then again, that's probably asking too much of the show. :/

(And for the record, I thought the stutter was adorable.)
    ---
    *Formerly known as Commander Cody*

Little sisters: Kana and Sequoia

---

You never know,     Spoiler:- -:
    Last edited by Juputoru; 8th August 2011 at 3:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumner Sturgeon View Post
    I brought this up on Bulbagarden months ago and got pretty much the same response (that is, "His anime personality is more interesting/He didn't have one in the games to begin with/Not fabulous enough, lol!"). I actually think Cilan would have been better off with his game personality, though, not just because it's a more accurate reflection of the game's content (as an adaptation should be, dammit!), but also because I think a shy, shrinking violet-type character would have brought something new to the dynamics of Ash's group. For one thing, he would have avoided the pitfall of becoming the new "cooking/general caretaker" guy that the older male of the group always becomes, plus it would make for an interesting story arc to see him gradually come out of his shell and grow into a more confident trainer and Gym Leader.

But, then again, that's probably asking too much of the show. :/

(And for the record, I thought the stutter was adorable.)

I prefer fabulous MIYANO!! ~~~ voiced Dento. Most likely if Dento had that stuttery personality, he wouldn't have been voiced by Miyano. That's seriously pretty true. Dento is just one of those happy bubbly characters--I can describe him in one word: Charming. I think I like to see a person with more confidence than lack of confidence. I thought his stutter was cute for a minute then I wanted him to spit it out. I mean, if he stuttered it'd be GOODBYE ENGRISH!! GOODBYE MY LOVELY SPARKLY DENTO!!! ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I prefer fabulous MIYANO!! ~~~ voiced Dento. Most likely if Dento had that stuttery personality, he wouldn't have been voiced by Miyano. That's seriously pretty true. Dento is just one of those happy bubbly characters--I can describe him in one word: Charming. I think I like to see a person with more confidence than lack of confidence. I thought his stutter was cute for a minute then I wanted him to spit it out. I mean, if he stuttered it'd be GOODBYE ENGRISH!! GOODBYE MY LOVELY SPARKLY DENTO!!! ;_;
    ...Yeeeeaahhh...that's pretty much the response I expected to get. >> Haha, how dare I want something different from the lovely, fabulous portrayal we have now?!

I'm kidding. Sorry about that, just had to vent a bit. ^^;; But, yeah, while I can see the draw of that (save for the voice actor; for all the emphasis you put on him, I can't really speak for that, not being too familiar with his body of work...), the fact still remains that it's not accurate to the games; why bother using the character if the writers were just gonna turn him into something else entirely? The rest of our differences can probably be chalked up to...ahaha, our taste in men. xP For the record, I prefer the quiet, shy, down-to-earth type-- loveliness, sparkliness, and Engrish are entirely optional (plus they kinda feel like played-out anime stereotypes to me, but Your Mileage Will Vary). But I suppose I'll always have game!Cilan for that~
    ---
    *Formerly known as Commander Cody*

Little sisters: Kana and Sequoia

---

Say, what are the chances of Cilan getting an image song a la Takeshi's Paradise? Dunno how it'd turn out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elice_Carol View Post
    Say, what are the chances of Cilan getting an image song a la Takeshi's Paradise? Dunno how it'd turn out, though.
    LOL NOOOO. Not Takeshi's Paradise. It should be patterned after Guilty Beauty Love...TAMAKI'S IMAGE SONG. It's so perfect XDD It SHOULD be similar to that one. They SHOULD give him a song though....whatever it is, because the fangirls would go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    LOL NOOOO. Not Takeshi's Paradise. It should be patterned after Guilty Beauty Love...TAMAKI'S IMAGE SONG. It's so perfect XDD It SHOULD be similar to that one. They SHOULD give him a song though....whatever it is, because the fangirls would go crazy.
    I would love to see Dento doing something similar to Takeshi's Paradise. I really have been waiting for him to just start doing that for a while now XD

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast