Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 376 to 396 of 396

Thread: The Club Battle Finale: A Heroes Outcome! (703)

  1. #376
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Where all are equal
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    Now I come to think about it more Iris's winning the tournament really is the most unfair outcome. She only managed to win her battle with Luke because Axew learned outrage, which is odd given that Axew is demonstrated to be very young and hasn't had much battle experience. If it hadn't been for that she never would have faced Ash in the first place. On top of that she had done very little training with Emolga yet Emolga won her battle too. She only won against Ash really because her Excadrill has a significant type advantage against Pikachu and is reasonably powerful.

    Ash on the other hand had trained his Pokémon and had used Snivy and Pikachu in battles prior to this one. He didn't win any of his matches by fluke which makes it rather sad that he lost in the end. In all fairness Ash is probably a much better trainer than Iris, the problem with a competition like this is that the sudden death nature of the one on one battles with the elimination style of the competition means it ends up being unrepresentative of a trainer's true ability. Ash has plently of Pokémon that could have taken out Excadrill namely Palpitoad, Oshawott and Buizel but he chose to send out Pikachu before Iris choose her partner. And so it ended up being a really bad result - This ruined the series in my opinion.
    I REALLY hope you didnt seriously think the series was "ruined" because Iris beat Ash's pikachu using a pokemon that resists/is immune to pikachu's entire moveset. Sure, Ash could have pulled out another pokemon, but pikachu was Ash's strongest pokemon on hand at the timeno lord boldore, and I doubt he would summon infernape or something like that for a small tournement like this.

    In general it isnt even like Ash losing once had any huge impact on BW as a whole, so I dont get why this of all things would ruin the series for you?

  2. #377
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    I REALLY hope you didnt seriously think the series was "ruined" because Iris beat Ash's pikachu using a pokemon that resists/is immune to pikachu's entire moveset. Sure, Ash could have pulled out another pokemon, but pikachu was Ash's strongest pokemon on hand at the timeno lord boldore, and I doubt he would summon infernape or something like that for a small tournement like this.

    In general it isnt even like Ash losing once had any huge impact on BW as a whole, so I dont get why this of all things would ruin the series for you?
    In some ways I do and I do so for the following reasons:

    1. Like i've said before neither Ash or Pikachu make up the loss. Everything goes downhill from this point with Ash performing worse in the next two tournaments he competes in and coming up poor in the league. It made Ash look weak and amateurish and worse it made his Unova team Pikachu include look weak and inexperienced, which is a really big shame because most of my favourite Pokémon were in Unova. Compared with DP where he one at least one major non-league competition it's rather sad that he should loose an unimportant contest to a relatively inexperienced trainer using a Pokémon that a few episodes previously didn't even trust her.

    2. Nothing is actually achieved or gained from this competition. It doesn't showcase how any characters have grown or developed over the series except possibly it demonstrates a patch up in the relationship between Iris and Excadrill. And that wasn't really highlighted so what's the point - It just makes the arch seem like a pointless filler.

    3. Of all the people Ash could have lost against he lost to Iris, who had spent most of the series prior to this demeaning him and calling him a little kid for making simple mistakes. All her victory does is vindicate her and make it seem like Ash is an incompetent and inexperienced trainer and gives Iris more ground to to demean him. That casts a shadow over his entire journey in the Unova region and makes it look like he can't do anything right or achieve anything in his own right. She even mocked him and called him a kid over Pikachu using thunderbolt at the start of the battle, which I think is kind of arrogant.

    In any case up to this point Ash has travelled through four regions and managed to gain a high ranking in regional Pokémon leagues and has captured and trained many different Pokémon. Iris had only spent a short period of time as a trainer and had only caught 4 Pokémon by this episode. Ash has done well by showing friendship and respect for his Pokémon whereas Excadrill up until a few episodes ago refused to even look at Iris because she had hurt his feelings. For the two of them to turn that all around and come out with such a massive win in such a short space of time has a questionable logic to it in my opinion.

    4. The tournament doesn't reflect the trainer's actually ability with Pokémon. One on one battles in an elimination style tournament essentially means it's a sudden death competition. Iris had such a advantage that effectively she won before the match had even started. If it had been two against two or three on three then the greater degree of diversity in Pokémon chosen and the requirement to beat more than one opponent would be a better way of determining a trainers ability to work with their Pokémon and adapt to different situations.

    5. It continues the series trait of giving Pikachu a beating. Pikachu is Ash's closest and strongest partner and should be given a brighter spotlight than he was during the BW series. In my opinion the writers unfairly treated him like a punching bag. I accept that Pikachu is still brittle in his strength and had a massive type disadvantage here but it was still a bad loss that should not have happened. Why did he have to get slammed into the wall like that - that was hard to watch. And this comes on top of loosing to a Panpour in the first gym battle against Cress (when Oshawott beat a Pansage), nearly loosing to a Swanna in the battle against Skyla and going out to Cameron's Lucario in the end of the series. Poor Pikachu.

    If they really wanted to give Ash such a bad loss why not demolish a different Pokémon. It would not have been as bad if Ash had lost with a different Pokémon. Oshawott would be my preferened candidate. He could have used palpitoad and lost given palpitoad's lack of experience. Even Snivy is another possibility given she would be a general disadvantage. But Pikachu has been with Ash since the beginning, he's Ash's most trusted and closest partner and the one he loves the most so it's not unreasonable that by this stage in Ash's career he should be able to hold his own a little better than this. The writers spent the series picking on him. I'm glad he's getting the spotlight he deserves in XY.

    6. In any case it's a relatively hollow victory on Iris's part. As far as I can see she won because of a type advantage rather than her own skill. She didn't win that conclusively and she got lucky with the last focus blast. Pikachu put up a very good fight and probably nearly won. If he could have blocked or dodged that final focus blast he probably would have been able to score a winning blow with Iron tail - I don't know. Either way it's a shallow achievement on her part. She got lucky because the odds were in her favour yet still felt the need to call Ash a kid.

    If the episode has a saving grace it's the hug scene between Ash and Pikachu after the battle which brings out their friendship and love for each other in as good a way as a victory would have and in some respects better than.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 10th June 2015 at 2:05 PM. Reason: elaboration
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.


  3. #378
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    In some ways I do and I do so for the following reasons:


    5. It continues the series trait of giving Pikachu a beating. I accept that Pikachu while Ash's strongest Pokémon is still brittle in his strength and had a massive type disadvantage here but it was still a bad loss. Why did he have to get slammed into the wall like that - that was hard to watch. And this comes on top of loosing to a Panpour in the first gym battle against Cress (when Oshawott beat a Pansage), nearly loosing to a Swanna in the battle against Skyla and going out to Cameron's Lucario in the end of the series. Poor Pikachu. If they really wanted to give Ash such a bad loss why not demolish a different Pokémon - Oshawott maybe. Pikachu has been with Ash since the beginning, he's Ash's most trusted and closest partner and the one he loves the most so it's not unreasonable that by this stage in Ash's career he should be able to hold his own a little better than this. The writers spent the series picking on him.

    If the episode has a saving grace it's the hug scene between Ash and Pikachu after the battle which brings out their friendship and love for each other in as good a way as a victory would have and in some respects better than.
    You do realise that Pikachu gets resetted at the start of every new saga.SO one moment he can beat a legendary the next he loses to some joke that he should easily beat(eg Snivy and Panpour)or Elekid and Magikarp in DP.
    Last edited by hihosilveraway; 11th March 2015 at 7:07 AM.

  4. #379
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilveraway View Post
    You do realise that Pikachu gets resetted at the start of every new saga.SO one moment he can beat a legendary the next he loses to some joke that he should easily beat(eg Snivy and Panpour)or Elekid and Magikarp in DP.
    I dispute that Pikachu is reset at the start of the new saga. That's a fan theory to explain why Pikachu lost several battles at the beginning of BW which I personally don't believe is a satisfactory explanation. Pikachu was made unable to use electric type moves after the encounter with Zekrom during the first battle with Trip where Snivy beat him - That was not a reasonable or fair battle because of Pikachu's disability and either Ash or Trip should have called the battle off the moment they realised Pikachu was ill. If I had to make judgement I would say Ash acted inappropriately in not calling the battle off after it was shown Pikachu couldn't use electric attacks. Given Pikachu is his best friend he should have been more attentive to his welfare. Following this Pikachu regained the ability to use electric type moves and there was no evidence he was reset and no obvious reason for that to have been an issue. The Panpour battle was an abomination - Pikachu should not have lost to a Panpour. The only explanations I can think to support that are that either Cress is a much more skilled trainer than either Cilan or Chili, and I think that conclusion is reasonable in respect to Chili although by what degree remains unclear, or that Ash may have been overconfident about the type advantage.

    The Panpour battle also begs the question - If a panpour can beat an electric type why shouldn't Pikachu be able to beat Excadrill - There's nothing in that. Snivy aside, Panpour and Excadrill really did make me think that the writers were just taking the piss on Pikachu for most of the BW series. That's probably the one improvement they've made in XY - Pikachu is finally being given the glory he deserves. There have been some losses but so far Pikachu has been the start of the first three gym battles.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.


  5. #380
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post

    The Panpour battle also begs the question - If a panpour can beat an electric type why shouldn't Pikachu be able to beat Excadrill - That's probably the one improvement they've made in XY - Pikachu is finally being given the glory he deserves. There have been some losses but so far Pikachu has been the start of the first three gym battles.
    Weird Anime logic or the fact that the anime isn't consistent with type advantages/disadvantages.

    Oh please I'm getting sick of Pika taking all the glory in XY it's taking away from his Kalos Pokémon.I rather how Pikachu was in BW than in XY.I swear Pikachu hardly loses in XY, he only has 2 losses while his other Pokémon get screwed over with consistent loses that's also not fair.

  6. #381
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilveraway View Post
    Oh please I'm getting sick of Pika taking all the glory in XY it's taking away from his Kalos Pokémon.I rather how Pikachu was in BW than in XY.I swear Pikachu hardly loses in XY, he only has 2 losses while his other Pokémon get screwed over with consistent loses that's also not fair.
    He's Ash's first Pokémon who has been with him since the start of the series meaning of everyone he's had the most training and the most experience. Logically you would expect him to be much better than Pokémon Ash has only just caught. Also he's Ash's best friend and most trustworthy and loved partner so why shouldn't he use him. In any case it's not as if Pikachu is begin shown as being overpowered. Most of the gym battles have been close. He lost to Viola's surskit in the first episode and didn't land one hit when he went up against Korrina's Lucario the first time. I also don't think Pikachu appears in the fourth gym battle so it's not like he's talking all the glory. XY has put Pikachu rightful where he should be in terms of battles and strength.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.


  7. #382
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Where all are equal
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    In some ways I do and I do so for the following reasons:

    1. Like i've said before neither Ash or Pikachu make up the loss. Everything goes downhill from this point with Ash performing worse in the next two tournaments he competes in and coming up poor in the league. It made Ash look weak and amateurish and worse it made his Unova team Pikachu include look weak and inexperienced, which is a really big shame because most of my favourite Pokémon were in Unova. Compared with DP where he one at least one major non-league competition it's rather sad that he should loose an unimportant contest to a relatively inexperienced trainer using a Pokémon that a few episodes previously didn't even trust her.

    2. Nothing is actually achieved or gained from this competition. It doesn't showcase how any characters have grown or developed over the series except possibly it demonstrates a patch up in the relationship between Iris and Excadrill. And that wasn't really highlighted so what's the point - It just makes the arch seem like a pointless filler.

    3. Of all the people Ash could have lost against he lost to Iris, who had spent most of the series prior to this demeaning him and calling him a little kid for making simple mistakes. All her victory does is vindicate her and make it seem like Ash is an incompetent and inexperienced trainer and gives Iris more ground to to demean him. That casts a shadow over his entire journey in the Unova region and makes it look like he can't do anything right or achieve anything in his own right.

    4. The tournament doesn't reflect the trainer's actually ability with Pokémon. One on one battles in an elimination style tournament essentially means it's a sudden death competition. Iris had such a advantage that effectively she won before the match had even started. If it had been two against two or three on three then the greater degree of diversity in Pokémon chosen and the requirement to beat more than one opponent would be a better way of determining a trainers ability to work with their Pokémon and adapt to different situations.

    5. It continues the series trait of giving Pikachu a beating. I accept that Pikachu while Ash's strongest Pokémon is still brittle in his strength and had a massive type disadvantage here but it was still a bad loss. Why did he have to get slammed into the wall like that - that was hard to watch. And this comes on top of loosing to a Panpour in the first gym battle against Cress (when Oshawott beat a Pansage), nearly loosing to a Swanna in the battle against Skyla and going out to Cameron's Lucario in the end of the series. Poor Pikachu. If they really wanted to give Ash such a bad loss why not demolish a different Pokémon - Oshawott maybe. Pikachu has been with Ash since the beginning, he's Ash's most trusted and closest partner and the one he loves the most so it's not unreasonable that by this stage in Ash's career he should be able to hold his own a little better than this. The writers spent the series picking on him.

    If the episode has a saving grace it's the hug scene between Ash and Pikachu after the battle which brings out their friendship and love for each other in as good a way as a victory would have and in some respects better than.
    You are way underrating Iris and playing her off as a noob despite having a 100 win spree with her excadrill.

    Stop crying over the fact that Ash lost to an equally competent Trainer, it makes perfect sense in context, and doesnt hurt the unova saga at all.

  8. #383
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    You are way underrating Iris and playing her off as a noob despite having a 100 win spree with her excadrill.

    Stop crying over the fact that Ash lost to an equally competent Trainer, it makes perfect sense in context, and doesnt hurt the unova saga at all.
    I wouldn't have classified Iris as an equally competent trainer. Yes she won a lot of battles with Excardrill but it stopped listening to her after the loss to Drayden. Then she didn't let it out of it's Pokéball again until challenged by Georgia - Who beat it first time round easily despite Beartic having a type disadvantage. The only other Pokémon she had prior to Emolga was Axew whom she didn't really spend a lot of time training but was still able to beat Luke's Golett with. Emolga won the first two battles despite not being trained at all and spending her first few episodes doing everything she could to avoid battle. She can not objectively be said to be equally competent to Ash who had by this point in the series won three gym badges and had all his achievements prior to this series for which Pikachu was responsible for most of. My personal view is that Iris probably shouldn't have reached the finals. Her Excadrill is very powerful but Emolga and Axew are not. Having them win so that she can take out Pikachu with Excadrill seems like a fluke. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike Iris but I just don't think she should have won this tournament.

    For Ash to loose so definitely to Iris who got through largely on luck it made it a lot worse when he failed even to reach the semi-finals in every other competition following this including the league. Winning this would have show that a) he is a competent trainer, b) would have shown Iris that he is not just a little kid and actually can train and befriend Pokémon better than she can, c) would have made up for Pikachu being used as a punching bag in episodes prior to this and most of all it would have softened the blow when Ash lost to Cameron in the league (which I get the feeling a lot of people were unhappy about). That's why I said it ruined the saga. If Ash had done better in tournaments following or in the league, or even beat Iris later on it might not have been as bad. I personally blame this episode for a substantial amount of the weakness in the BW series.

    I do get the feeling that Iris mistreats her friends somewhat - possibly without meaning to. Excadrill stopped obeying her because she humiliated him and hurt his feelings by going up against Drayden when she wasn't ready to, and she constantly spent the series putting Ash down and berating him for very minor errors. I sometimes wonder why Ash doesn't just say he's had enough of it and walk out on her, forcing her to realise that other people and Pokémon have feelings and she should act less superior. Personally I think Ash should have walked out on her here. She mocked him at the start of the battle and she beat up his best friend.

    Iris has good qualities too and I think if Ash had said to her, "I've had it with this, If you think I'm a little kid, you go challenge five Pokémon leagues and beat the battle frontier and leave me alone," she would say sorry and make it up to him. She did genuinely try to make it up to Excadrill and I she does genuinely care for him. In short Iris isn't a bad person but she really did not need this massive boost to her ego.

    As for Iris being on the same par as Ash in terms of competence. Objectively I don't think that's true. Ash has traveled through five regions, competed in the league, been highly placed in various regional leagues, beaten the battle frontier and caught many different Pokémon. Iris and Excadrill had only won a single competition in the village of dragons before this tournament, Axew had very little battle experience and Iris had't even caught a Pokémon in her own right before Emolga. And Emolga just let herself get caught.

    In any case what was gained from the tournament arch. Ash won every battle except where it counted and Iris got lucky with Emogla and Axew. It makes it look like a filler arch, which I suspect it was - They needed something to fill the void after the cancellation of the Team Plasma vs Team Rocket episodes.

    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilveraway View Post
    The problem with Unova is that they loved treating Ash and Pikachu like idiots who are absolue beginers and everyone is better than him.
    I more or less agree with that statement, which is essentially the problem I have with Iris winning the club battle tournament. Nobody treated Ash like a beginner more than she did with the exception of Trip. Then she went on to win despite having got to the final with two untrained Pokémon who got lucky which made it even worser. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound. She even referred to him as a kid at the start the battle! At least with Trip Ash did get to prove to him that he and Pikachu were actually competent. That's improved in XY a lot given that Ash has demonstrated a lot more competence and Pikachu has been the hero of three gym battles.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 15th June 2015 at 2:10 PM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.


  9. #384
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    I wouldn't have classified Iris as an equally competent trainer. Yes she won a lot of battles with Excardrill but it stopped listening to her after the loss to Drayden. Then she didn't let it out of it's Pokéball again until challenged by Georgia - Who beat it first time round easily despite Beartic having a type disadvantage. The only other Pokémon she had prior to Emolga was Axew whom she didn't really spend a lot of time training but was still able to beat Luke's Golett with. Emolga won the first two battles despite not being trained at all and spending her first few episodes doing everything she could to avoid battle. She can not objectively be said to be equally competent to Ash who had by this point in the series won three gym badges and had all his achievements prior to this series for which Pikachu was responsible for most of. My personal view is that Iris probably shouldn't have reached the finals. Her Excadrill is very powerful but Emolga and Axew are not. Having them win so that she can take out Pikachu with Excadrill seems like a fluke. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike Iris but I just don't think she should have won this tournament.

    For Ash to loose so definitely to Iris who got through largely on luck it made it a lot worse when he failed even to reach the semi-finals in every other competition following this including the league. Winning this would have show that a) he is a competent trainer, b) would have shown Iris that he is not just a little kid and actually can train and befriend Pokémon better than she can, c) would have made up for Pikachu being used as a punching bag in episodes prior to this and most of all it would have softened the blow when Ash lost to Cameron in the league (which I get the feeling a lot of people were unhappy about). That's why I said it ruined the saga. If Ash had done better in tournaments following or in the league, or even beat Iris later on it might not have been as bad. I personally blame this episode for a substantial amount of the weakness in the BW series.

    In any case what was gained from the tournament arch. Ash won every battle except where it counted and Iris got lucky with Emogla and Axew. It makes it look like a filler arch, which I suspect it was - They needed something to fill the void after the cancellation of the Team Plasma vs Team Rocket episodes.
    The problem with Unova is that they loved treating Ash and Pikachu like idiots who are absolue beginers and everyone is better than him.

  10. #385
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Where all are equal
    Posts
    3,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    I wouldn't have classified Iris as an equally competent trainer. Yes she won a lot of battles with Excardrill but it stopped listening to her after the loss to Drayden. Then she didn't let it out of it's Pokéball again until challenged by Georgia - Who beat it first time round easily despite Beartic having a type disadvantage. The only other Pokémon she had prior to Emolga was Axew whom she didn't really spend a lot of time training but was still able to beat Luke's Golett with. Emolga won the first two battles despite not being trained at all and spending her first few episodes doing everything she could to avoid battle. She can not objectively be said to be equally competent to Ash who had by this point in the series won three gym badges and had all his achievements prior to this series for which Pikachu was responsible for most of. My personal view is that Iris probably shouldn't have reached the finals. Her Excadrill is very powerful but Emolga and Axew are not. Having them win so that she can take out Pikachu with Excadrill seems like a fluke. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike Iris but I just don't think she should have won this tournament.

    For Ash to loose so definitely to Iris who got through largely on luck it made it a lot worse when he failed even to reach the semi-finals in every other competition following this including the league. Winning this would have show that a) he is a competent trainer, b) would have shown Iris that he is not just a little kid and actually can train and befriend Pokémon better than she can, c) would have made up for Pikachu being used as a punching bag in episodes prior to this and most of all it would have softened the blow when Ash lost to Cameron in the league (which I get the feeling a lot of people were unhappy about). That's why I said it ruined the saga. If Ash had done better in tournaments following or in the league, or even beat Iris later on it might not have been as bad. I personally blame this episode for a substantial amount of the weakness in the BW series.

    In any case what was gained from the tournament arch. Ash won every battle except where it counted and Iris got lucky with Emogla and Axew. It makes it look like a filler arch, which I suspect it was - They needed something to fill the void after the cancellation of the Team Plasma vs Team Rocket episodes.
    If it was just filler why are you so adamant about how Ash shouldnt have lost, which he should since he was at a massive disadvantage. The other issue is that you're acing as if this was the only epiosde of BW, which it wasnt. Ash had plenty of moments showing he clearly wasnt a noob, so I fail to see how Iris winning one tournement really hurt him in the long run tbh.

  11. #386
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post


    I more or less agree with that statement, which is essentially the problem I have with Iris winning the club battle tournament. Nobody treated Ash like a beginner more than she did with the exception of Trip. Then she went on to win despite having got to the final with two untrained Pokémon who got lucky which made it even worser. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound. She even referred to him as a kid at the start the battle! At least with Trip Ash did get to prove to him that he and Pikachu were actually competent. That's improved in XY a lot given that Ash has demonstrated a lot more competence and Pikachu has been the hero of three gym battles.
    Even worse is that Trip himself can't talk as he himself is an absoulte beginner which made it worse imo and he makes fun of Ash like he knows nothing about Pokémon nor does he take into consideration his experience.

  12. #387
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    If it was just filler why are you so adamant about how Ash shouldnt have lost, which he should since he was at a massive disadvantage.
    In fairness he had a similar disadvantage when he fought Georgia with Snivy and he still managed to win. It's not as if Pikachu couldn't have won. He still had Iron tail and he did get close to winning as Iris herself noted. Besides it's not as if Iris v Ash was the only possibility. Iris could and I say should have lost one of her previous battles probably Luke given Axew's youth and inexperience. Or Ash could have just used palpitoad or Oshawott (my preference) against Iris then he would not have been such a disadvantage. Or it could have been Axew v Pikachu or Emolga v Pikachu.

    Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    The other issue is that you're acing as if this was the only epiosde of BW, which it wasnt. Ash had plenty of moments showing he clearly wasnt a noob, so I fail to see how Iris winning one tournement really hurt him in the long run tbh
    Because he did have any more moments of showing he wasn't a complete noob (I'm not sure what that word means but I'll use it anyway). He lost in the next two competitions he participated in including against Trip's Serperior with Pignite. He had already had significant losses earlier in the series most notably the one to Cress. All this served to do was vindicate Iris's your a little kid act and make Pikachu give Pikachu a savage beating. They really had it in for Pikachu in Black and White and there was no need for it - glad they've rectified that in XY. The reason I think it did hurt Ash in the long run is because it just piled up against every other significant loss he had during the BW saga which just reflected badly on Pikachu and on his other Unova Pokémon, most of whom were really good and made great characters (Oshawott especially). There were a few battles where Ash really did really really well but not enough of them featured Pikachu and they still get horribly overshadowed by this and to a lesser extent the battle against Cameron at the league.

    And if it was just filler why did we get four episodes - Four episodes for Pikachu to loose badly when Iris won the tournament on a wing and a prayer.

    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilveraway View Post
    Even worse is that Trip himself can't talk as he himself is an absoulte beginner which made it worse imo and he makes fun of Ash like he knows nothing about Pokémon nor does he take into consideration his experience.
    That is very true. But Trip was always supposed to be an unfriendly rival. Iris doing it is worse because was supposed to be a friend. Trip eventually is forced to eat his words and admit that Ash is a decent trainer when he looses to him in the preliminary battles of the league. I can't really identify the point in the series where Iris admits that Ash is a good trainer - It might have been when she was watching him take on the Striaton gym. Throughout the entire series she makes the remark 'kid' whenever he does something wrong and they tend to argue a few time. In the Path that leads to goodbye she blames him for something that any reasonable person could see was not his fault - the berry he picked was bitter. Things like that just leave me with the impression that deep down, she thought of him as her idiotic friend and stayed with him out of pity. The result in BW042 to my mind just gives her more reason to look down at him. Don't get me wrong - I like Iris I don't generally have a problem with the "your a little kid" banter that ran through the series. It was funny. This result just seems to vindicate it unneccessarily. It would have been better to have had Ash prove he is the better trainer even if it was not in this battle. If Ash had beaten Iris later on or done something noteworthy like win the next competition it would have made up for this result...
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 11th March 2015 at 2:10 PM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.


  13. #388
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Gravity Falls, Oregon
    Posts
    175

    Default

    So back in January I remember making a comment that I didn't think Iris should have been the winner of the tournament (thankfully nobody called me on it but that's beside the point). A while ago I thought about it and came to the conclusion that making a statement like that was a bit silly on my part. This is because the tournament is really just a small competition between 16 trainers which isn't that many, and they were all single 1vs1 battles. No matter who won that tournament, it wouldn't mean they're the best trainer who competed. Would a win here have meant more to Ash than to Iris? Not really. I doubt he would have used the feathers either; he's just not that kind of guy. Plus it's definitely practical to give Excadrill a big victory. He hasn't had one since he started battling for Iris again and it was time to show how far he's come.

    Bottom line, I considered the tournament to be more relevant than it actually was, and Iris's Pokemon needed a good victory more than any of Ash's Pokemon.

    This doesn't mean I thought the entire tournament was great (I still don't like the way Iris beat Luke when she could have done so in a better written way and I would have bought it), but it does mean that I now think the outcome is fine.

    Excadrill would have looked more impressive if he beat Palpitoad or Snivy instead though. They would at least have been able to use all of their moves. But whatever, it's not really a problem.
    Last edited by Bill Cipher; 25th April 2015 at 4:02 PM.


    I can even tell what you're thinking right now

  14. #389
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridiculous Reuniclus View Post
    So back in January I remember making a comment that I didn't think Iris should have been the winner of the tournament (thankfully nobody called me on it but that's beside the point). I've become a bit... wiser since then(?) so a while ago I thought about it and came to the conclusion that making a statement like that was a bit silly on my part. This is because the tournament is really just a small competition between 16 trainers which isn't that many, and they were all single 1vs1 battles. No matter who won that tournament, it wouldn't mean they're the best trainer who competed. Would a win here have meant more to Ash than to Iris? Not really. I doubt he would have used the feathers either; he's just not that kind of guy. Plus it's definitely practical to give Excadrill a big victory. He hasn't had one since he started battling for Iris again and it was time to show how far he's come.

    This doesn't mean I thought the entire tournament was great (I still don't like the way Iris beat Luke when she could have done so in a better written way and I would have bought it) but it does mean that I now think the outcome is fine.

    Excadrill would have looked more impressive if he beat Palpitoad or Snivy instead though. They would at least have been able to use all of their moves. But whatever, it's not really a problem.
    No I agreed with you earlier statement. This episode brought down the entire BW series. There are four reasons why I think Ash loosing to Iris was a bad outcome.

    1. It made Ash look a lot worse than he actually is - In the DP series he's shown himself to be a reasonbly competent trainer able to understand, bond with and battle well with his Pokémon. This episode made him look quite bad especially when it's combined with the fact the lost every other tournament in the series.

    2. Iris had spent the entire series up to this point treating Ash as if he was a little kid and berating him for all his mistakes never actually seeing him as a decent trainer. All this episode stood to do was give her more vindication for her "Your such a kid" attitude. She even says it to him during the battle. They never rematched and Ash never got the opportunity to show her he is a decent trainer. If he'd beaten her she'd have to have stopped the "such a kid" routine. For goodness sake she travels around with a baby dragon in her hair and an Excadrill that won't obey her, spends most of her time climbing things and can't even get Emolga to trust her and then she just wins a major competition ahead of a competent trainer whose Pokémon love and respect him.

    3. This episode continues the long line of the BW writers favourite passtime of let's beat up Pikachu. Pikachu is Ash's closet and strongest partner he should not be treated as a punching bag. He's the star of the show. Despite the close friendship he and Ash had built up he lost to a Pokémon who just episodes ago wouldn't obey his trainer because of the way she used and humiliated him earlier in the series. The anime is supposed to be about friendship, trust and love but all this episode seemed to say is that if you big and strong you'll always win. I'm afraid I don't see why it's practical to give Excadrill a big victory

    4. Having episodes that constantly characterise Ash as being incompetent damages the other Pokémon on his team. Not getting any major wins makes Ash's team look a lot weaker than it actually is in reality and suggests that evolution is the key to success which the anime continually tries to refute.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cipher View Post
    I doubt he would have used the feathers either; he's just not that kind of guy. Plus it's definitely practical to give Excadrill a big victory. He hasn't had one since he started battling for Iris again and it was time to show how far he's come.

    Bottom line, I considered the tournament to be more relevant than it actually was, and Iris's Pokemon needed a good victory more than any of Ash's Pokemon.
    Yes but not against Ash or Pikachu. My view is Pikachu was given a bad run at the start of the series loosing to Trip's Snivy and Cress's Panpour (that defies logic) that he was the one that needed the victory. Excadrill's victory is more a fluke than an accomplishment. He had a major type advantage and even at that Pikachu still did a fair bit of damage. If Pikachu's moveset was just a little more diverse he could have pulled it off. I also serious doubt Excadrill he could hold out long against some of Ash's other Pokémon. Charzard, Buizel and even Oshawott would all have beaten Excadrill easily (Oshawott not that easily). In any case Iris did not need another reason to consider herself superior to Ash or to think of Ash as a "little kid."
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 15th June 2015 at 2:30 PM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.


  15. #390
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    2. Iris had spent the entire series up to this point treating Ash as if he was a little kid and berating him for all his mistakes never actually seeing him as a decent trainer. All this episode stood to do was give her more vindication for her "Your such a kid" attitude. She even says it to him during the battle. They never rematched and Ash never got the opportunity to show her he is a decent trainer.
    Except for the fact Iris realizes in episode 4 that Ash is an exceptional trainer when he cares for Tepig. There's a single scene where Iris gazes at Ash as he takes care of Tepig and she smiles realizing what kind of person he actually is. Iris' remarks were never meant to be hurtful and while his behavior did get on her nerves, those remarks turned into gentle teasing by the end of BW. As for the battle, Iris never once called Ash a kid for winning that battle. They shook hands and congratulated each other for a battle well fought in a mature way, no calling names, no nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    3. This episode continues the long line of the BW writers favourite passtime of let's beat up Pikachu. Pikachu is Ash's closet and strongest partner he should not be treated as a punching bag. He's the star of the show. Despite the close friendship he and Ash had built up he lost to a Pokémon who just episodes ago wouldn't obey his trainer because of the way she used and humiliated him earlier in the series. The anime is supposed to be about friendship, trust and love but all this episode seemed to say is that if you big and strong you'll always win. I'm afraid I don't see why it's practical to give Excadrill a big victory
    And Excadrill is Iris's closest and strongest partner. See? That logic works both ways.

    Ash and Pikachu have won so many times, so many things.

    Thank God writers gave Iris a win, I mean, she would only ever appear in Best Wishes. So why not take the opportunity? Ash has four regions behind him and God knows how many after him, he has won plenty and he will win plenty. Iris deserved to get this one victory.

    And for crying out loud, Ash used Pikachu vs Excadrill - he deserved to lose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    4. Having episodes that constantly characterise Ash as being incompetent damages the other Pokémon on his team. Not getting any major wins makes Ash's team look a lot weaker than it actually is in reality and suggests that evolution is the key to success which the anime continually tries to refute.
    Except Ash's Snivy beat Trip's Servine, his Tepig/Pignite and Snivy beat Emboar and Heatmore, etc.

    Ash beat a dozen fully evolved Pokemon with unevolved ones. So please stop. If anything, BW was all about evolution not being the key to success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuxuba View Post
    No, it's just how things work in this forum. We complain before even watching it.

    > > > > Amourshipping will never be canon.


  16. #391
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Except for the fact Iris realizes in episode 4 that Ash is an exceptional trainer when he cares for Tepig. There's a single scene where Iris gazes at Ash as he takes care of Tepig and she smiles realizing what kind of person he actually is. Iris' remarks were never meant to be hurtful and while his behavior did get on her nerves, those remarks turned into gentle teasing by the end of BW. As for the battle, Iris never once called Ash a kid for winning that battle. They shook hands and congratulated each other for a battle well fought in a mature way, no calling names, no nothing.
    She called him a kid right at the start for having Pikachu use thunderbolt at Excadrill. Ash knew wouldn't work, but she still said "what a kid," after he told her why he had given that command. Her response to me make it look like she was being rather arrogant about her advantage.

    The reason there was no calling names immediately after was because there was a camera pointed at them. I also don't think she tries to mean I think she just has an inflated ego and takes her friends for granted. If Ash had the little kid thing would have had to stop.

    There's also an episode during the declore Island's arch when she completely flips out on him for nothing more than passing her a bitter apple.

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    And Excadrill is Iris's closest and strongest partner. See? That logic works both ways.
    She completely humiliated it in front in a battle with Drayden which is why it closed himself off to her in the first place. If it's her closet Pokémon by this stage that's a very quick reunion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Ash and Pikachu have won so many times, so many things.
    A lot less so in BW. Pikachu got very little spotlight in the series.

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Thank God writers gave Iris a win, I mean, she would only ever appear in Best Wishes. So why not take the opportunity? Ash has four regions behind him and God knows how many after him, he has won plenty and he will win plenty. Iris deserved to get this one victory.

    And for crying out loud, Ash used Pikachu vs Excadrill - he deserved to lose.
    Not as badly as he did though. Focus blast is not a ground type move. In any case it goes back to my main point - why did BW pick on Pikachu so much. In any case it's not a bad thing that Ash chose Pikachu. Pikachu is his best friend and most loyal partner. Of course they'll fight along side each other. Why does that mean he deserved to loose. Are we really saying that strength, force and material victory are more important that friendship, trust and love - the anime has already gone to great lenghts to refute that. During the Johto series Ash and Pikachu beat Dr Namba's overpowered electabuzz because they trust each other - that point was made.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 15th June 2015 at 2:37 PM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.


  17. #392
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Gravity Falls, Oregon
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    it was a bonding excercise - so in some ways she was mocking their friendship
    I'm not sure what this means but I feel safe saying it definitely wasn't a "bonding exercise". Ash said it was a signal that he was getting serious/pumped or whatever. So basically he meant it as a signal to Iris that "Hey, we're aware that Thunderbolt and Electro Ball won't work but Pikachu and I still won't hold back". It had nothing to do with bonding. There was no mockery of friendship there. :I

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    And for crying out loud, Ash used Pikachu vs Excadrill - he deserved to lose.
    Lol your other points are fine but saying he deserved to lose just for having a disadvantage isn't exactly fair or correct. Ash had to send out his Pokemon first which made him the one most likely to end up with the disadvantage. Ash could have used Snivy or Palpitoad, but then what would have stopped the writers from having Iris use Emolga? Snivy is a grass type and Palpitoad is male after all.
    Last edited by Bill Cipher; 25th April 2015 at 7:30 PM.


    I can even tell what you're thinking right now

  18. #393
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridiculous Reuniclus View Post
    Lol your other points are fine but saying he deserved to lose just for having a disadvantage is kind of dumb. Ash had to send out his Pokemon first which made him the one most likely to end up with the disadvantage. Ash could have used Snivy or Palpitoad, but then what would have stopped the writers from having Iris use Emolga? Snivy is a grass type and Palpitoad is male after all.
    Snivy would have no troubles winning despite type advantage (she did it before) and Emolga has no real moves against Palpitoad except Hidden Power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuxuba View Post
    No, it's just how things work in this forum. We complain before even watching it.

    > > > > Amourshipping will never be canon.


  19. #394
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Gravity Falls, Oregon
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Snivy would have no troubles winning despite type advantage (she did it before)
    That alone defeats your point about Ash deserving to lose for using Pikachu because Pikachu has won despite type disadvantage before as well.

    It's fair to say Iris deserved to win, but not so much to say Ash deserved to lose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Emolga has no real moves against Palpitoad except Hidden Power.
    *Hidden Power and Attract. Palpitoad by that point only had Hydro Pump and Supersonic, and since attract is broken in the anime while confusion isn't, Emolga kind of has the edge there.

    I'm not really here to debate about Emolga though, just saying.


    I can even tell what you're thinking right now

  20. #395
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    No I agreed with you earlier statement. This episode brought down the entire BW series. There are four reasons why I think Ash loosing to Iris was a bad outcome.

    4. Having episodes that constantly characterise Ash as being incompetent damages the other Pokémon on his team. Not getting any major wins makes Ash's team look a lot weaker than it actually is in reality and suggests that evolution is the key to success which the anime continually tries to refute.
    Oh please the anime's wrong anyways there's a point for evolution and the anime is right whenever it shows that evolution is the key to sucess.Plus XY is basically showing that evolution is the key to success with Goomy becoming a lot stronger as a Goodra and now being able to protect its homeland.

    Also what's so Taboo about Excadrill beating Pikachu, Excadrill beat Pikachu fair and square, you're acting as if it lost to some weak Pokemon like a Magikarp.

  21. #396
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cipher View Post
    your other points are fine but saying he deserved to lose just for having a disadvantage isn't exactly fair or correct. Ash had to send out his Pokemon first which made him the one most likely to end up with the disadvantage. Ash could have used Snivy or Palpitoad, but then what would have stopped the writers from having Iris use Emolga? Snivy is a grass type and Palpitoad is male after all.
    Actually a Snivy vs Emolga battle would have been an ideal end to the saga - Given Snivy and Emolga had a long-running rivalry throughout it would have given both Pokémon a chance to settle that score and would have provided a good point for humour - they could have argued during the battle. Morally Snivy should probably win because I think Emolga has been in the wrong most of the time there has been conflict between the two Pokémon. However I would have accepted an Emolga victory because it demonstrates her becoming more of a reliable partner and less manipulative. And in any case - unlike Excadrill Emolga is too cute to hate on.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.


Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •