Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 876 to 900 of 1243

Thread: Duuuddee... Pass the blunt...

  1. #876
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmical Tel El Amarna View Post
    There are way better documentaries than Super High Me, come on now lol.
    Its the only one Ive seen haha. It isnt really very scientific or persuasive but it was interesting enough to keep me watching and thats pretty important. I dont want to watch a documentary if its just some british guy doing a voiceover and a bunch of guys in lab coats standing around.

  2. #877
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Salvage Springs, Telmani
    Posts
    974

    Default

    I don't see the problem with it. It's better than alcohol and cigarettes.
    Like, sure, you can't drive while you're high, but if you are high, you wouldn't have an intention of driving...or anything else really.
    And there's no tar in your lungs from smoking it.

    Not only that, but you know a way to alleviate a lot of national debt? Legalize marijuana and tax the crud out of it. The government would make plenty of money pretty quickly, lol.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~



  3. #878
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    I don't see the problem with it. It's better than alcohol and cigarettes.
    Like, sure, you can't drive while you're high, but if you are high, you wouldn't have an intention of driving...or anything else really.
    And there's no tar in your lungs from smoking it.

    Not only that, but you know a way to alleviate a lot of national debt? Legalize marijuana and tax the crud out of it. The government would make plenty of money pretty quickly, lol.
    Well there is some amount of tar in your lungs from smoking it just like smoking anything else. Any seasoned smoker could tell you that. If you vape it then you dont inhale any of the dangerous parts and you get higher off less weed and it doesnt smell. If only vaporizers werent so expensive... And you can still drive plenty safely unless you are royally stoned. When you are used to it you can still do everything you can do sober while high and just as well.

  4. #879
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canadaland
    Posts
    88

    Default

    There has been a recent study that smoking pot in the developing years can lead to a bit of mental strife. I originality read this article on bbc,
    Here is an article on itg
    However, I really doubt that the research is completely unbiased.
    I don't believe it's a wise idea to let teenagers have drugs and alcohol, since there's a lot we don't know on how brains develop in that time.

    Other then that, I live in a house of daily smokers, and hang out with a lot of friends who smoke a LOT.
    They're great people.
    It's pretty easy to come by here, it doesn't feel illegal.
    Though, the second we legalize weed, the potheads will have nothing to talk about. Haa haaaa.

  5. #880
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KiaAsakura View Post
    There has been a recent study that smoking pot in the developing years can lead to a bit of mental strife. I originality read this article on bbc,
    Here is an article on itg
    However, I really doubt that the research is completely unbiased.
    I don't believe it's a wise idea to let teenagers have drugs and alcohol, since there's a lot we don't know on how brains develop in that time.

    Other then that, I live in a house of daily smokers, and hang out with a lot of friends who smoke a LOT.
    They're great people.
    It's pretty easy to come by here, it doesn't feel illegal.
    Though, the second we legalize weed, the potheads will have nothing to talk about. Haa haaaa.
    I think any evidence that smoking pot causes mental strife comes from people who already have mental problems being more likely to smoke.

  6. #881
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    I think any evidence that smoking pot causes mental strife comes from people who already have mental problems being more likely to smoke.
    It doesn't cause mental anything so your right. Most people that have mental disorders usually smoke weed to stay sane or it helps they're problem. The only way weed can cause mental problems if if your sack is laced.
    My Soundcloud

    My ReverbNation

    Music & Musicians Alliance Club


  7. #882
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    593

    Default

    I've never tried marijuana, and most likely never will. A lot of people I know smoke it, but I make the personal decision not to participate. On the issue of whether or not to legalize it for recreational use, I am not really informed enough to have an educated decision. I don't know enough about the effects, etc. One thing to consider is that legalizing it would reduce crime/gangs/drug cartels. On the other side, do we really want a whole generation being raised under a haze of marijuana smoke? Do we really know what will happen to society when it is legalized? Not that people don't smoke it already, but should we really have it happen on a much larger scale? Again, I'm indifferent; I don't know enough on the subject.


    Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile




    Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

    *credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

  8. #883
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Salvage Springs, Telmani
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KiaAsakura View Post
    I don't believe it's a wise idea to let teenagers have drugs and alcohol, since there's a lot we don't know on how brains develop in that time.
    Well, it's just like alcohol and tobacco, you stick an age limit on it. Probably 18, like cigarettes.
    I mean, people under that age will do it anyways, but it will help sedate the anti-marijuana people. Just like anything else.

    I've never smoked it and I never will, but I have quite the few friends that do. They don't seem any worse for wear, and if the gov can tax the crud out of it and help alleviate national debt, i say wynaut?
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~



  9. #884
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
    It doesn't cause mental anything so your right. Most people that have mental disorders usually smoke weed to stay sane or it helps they're problem. The only way weed can cause mental problems if if your sack is laced.
    This sounds like the kind of well-informed and scientific statement we should base drug legislation on.

    Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    I've never tried marijuana, and most likely never will. A lot of people I know smoke it, but I make the personal decision not to participate. On the issue of whether or not to legalize it for recreational use, I am not really informed enough to have an educated decision. I don't know enough about the effects, etc. One thing to consider is that legalizing it would reduce crime/gangs/drug cartels. On the other side, do we really want a whole generation being raised under a haze of marijuana smoke? Do we really know what will happen to society when it is legalized? Not that people don't smoke it already, but should we really have it happen on a much larger scale? Again, I'm indifferent; I don't know enough on the subject.
    It probably would reduce cartel activity/violence, but by how much? Probably little, as cartels deal in a lot of other drugs that won't ever be legal and, more importantly, weapons. It's also extremely difficult to accurately gauge how much activity cartels have, and what sort of illegal activities they're actually conducting, so basing a mostly-unrelated law like this on them would be insanity.

    imo, it would also open the doors to illegal exporting out of the US, which doesn't sound like a terrific risk to take to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    Well, it's just like alcohol and tobacco, you stick an age limit on it. Probably 18, like cigarettes.
    I mean, people under that age will do it anyways, but it will help sedate the anti-marijuana people. Just like anything else.

    I've never smoked it and I never will, but I have quite the few friends that do. They don't seem any worse for wear, and if the gov can tax the crud out of it and help alleviate national debt, i say wynaut?
    Because, as we all know, age limits have been successfully keeping drugs out of the hands of kids for decades! Come on, now. Increasing its availability is only going to trickle down and increase its prevalence in youth (even though, as you mention, they'll do it anyway, we don't need to increase how much they're doing).

    I also very much doubt that placing high taxes on a plant you can grow in your closet will bring in significant revenue, much less enough to, er... alleviate national debt.

    There is one plus to legalizing marijuana, though, now that I think about it: they'd finally be able to conduct meaningful longitudinal studies on its effects. Of course, this would most likely lead to efforts to re-illegalize it, so it's a mixed bag, but eh. The more you know.

  10. #885
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    This sounds like the kind of well-informed and scientific statement we should base drug legislation on.



    It probably would reduce cartel activity/violence, but by how much? Probably little, as cartels deal in a lot of other drugs that won't ever be legal and, more importantly, weapons. It's also extremely difficult to accurately gauge how much activity cartels have, and what sort of illegal activities they're actually conducting, so basing a mostly-unrelated law like this on them would be insanity.

    imo, it would also open the doors to illegal exporting out of the US, which doesn't sound like a terrific risk to take to me.



    Because, as we all know, age limits have been successfully keeping drugs out of the hands of kids for decades! Come on, now. Increasing its availability is only going to trickle down and increase its prevalence in youth (even though, as you mention, they'll do it anyway, we don't need to increase how much they're doing).

    I also very much doubt that placing high taxes on a plant you can grow in your closet will bring in significant revenue, much less enough to, er... alleviate national debt.

    There is one plus to legalizing marijuana, though, now that I think about it: they'd finally be able to conduct meaningful longitudinal studies on its effects. Of course, this would most likely lead to efforts to re-illegalize it, so it's a mixed bag, but eh. The more you know.
    I disagree with most of this. Except for the taxes part. I say legalize it and dont tax it. It would be way very costly to make sure that people werent growing and buying weed without paying the tax.

    Also, marijuana makes up the largest part of the illegal drug trade. And with medical marijuana is extremely easy for kids to get a hold of and to export and no harm has come from it. And there have been lots of studies on the dangers of marijuana and people can already conduct meaningful longitudinal studies on its effects and all evidence points toward legalization.
    Last edited by OldManJenkins; 21st October 2012 at 2:31 AM.

  11. #886
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    Also, marijuana makes up the largest part of the illegal drug trade. And with medical marijuana is extremely easy for kids to get a hold of and to export and no harm has come from it. And there have been lots of studies on the dangers of marijuana and people can already conduct meaningful longitudinal studies on its effects and all evidence points toward legalization.
    Even though they get a lot of money from dealing marijuana, the cartels are just filling a niche. There's absolutely no guarantee that their activities would stop instead of just changing. Other drugs, weapons trafficking, human trafficking - there are many other activities they can, and likely will, resort to if you undercut one of them. I also have trouble understanding why making part of their activities legal wouldn't incentivize them to pack on up and move operations here and deal to other countries.

    Medical marijuana has been around for less than a decade, and only 4 years, max, in full force. Of course no harm has come of it. If smoking cigarettes was just now becoming widespread, nobody would notice any of its effects for decades. What we do know is that use has gone up in the last few years (since it was announced that raids on dispensaries would stop), including among youth. Granted, it's only a couple years' worth of data, so it could be normal flux, but you certainly can't point at it and say, "Oh, look, it's fine!"

    And no, there have been no long-term, high-use studies on marijuana that I've ever heard of, forget about there being a meaningful number of them. You say "lots", but I'd be surprised if you found one. Yes, there are studies that say that marijuana should be safe to legalize. But for every one of those you point to, I can point to at least 5 more that say it's not safe. You can't pick and choose studies, especially when, as I said, there are so few rigorous ones (not to say any should be ignored, but rather that they all should be taken into account).

  12. #887
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Even though they get a lot of money from dealing marijuana, the cartels are just filling a niche. There's absolutely no guarantee that their activities would stop instead of just changing. Other drugs, weapons trafficking, human trafficking - there are many other activities they can, and likely will, resort to if you undercut one of them. I also have trouble understanding why making part of their activities legal wouldn't incentivize them to pack on up and move operations here and deal to other countries.

    Medical marijuana has been around for less than a decade, and only 4 years, max, in full force. Of course no harm has come of it. If smoking cigarettes was just now becoming widespread, nobody would notice any of its effects for decades. What we do know is that use has gone up in the last few years (since it was announced that raids on dispensaries would stop), including among youth. Granted, it's only a couple years' worth of data, so it could be normal flux, but you certainly can't point at it and say, "Oh, look, it's fine!"

    And no, there have been no long-term, high-use studies on marijuana that I've ever heard of, forget about there being a meaningful number of them. You say "lots", but I'd be surprised if you found one. Yes, there are studies that say that marijuana should be safe to legalize. But for every one of those you point to, I can point to at least 5 more that say it's not safe. You can't pick and choose studies, especially when, as I said, there are so few rigorous ones (not to say any should be ignored, but rather that they all should be taken into account).
    Cartels dont sell alcohol do they? If weed was legal they wouldnt be selling it either. People have been smoking pot for thousands of years and it has been a huge part of american culture since the late 50's if not earlier. And Ive never seen a reputable study that says marijuana is unsafe. I just skimmed this but it looked like it said long term use didnt cause any problems and it was like the second google result I got. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...thandwellbeing
    Last edited by OldManJenkins; 21st October 2012 at 4:40 AM.

  13. #888
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    Cartels dont sell alcohol do they? If weed was legal they wouldnt be selling it either. People have been smoking pot for thousands of years and it has been a huge part of american culture since the late 50's if not earlier. And Ive never seen a reputable study that says marijuana is unsafe. I just skimmed this but it looked like it said long term use didnt cause any problems and it was like the second google result I got. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...thandwellbeing
    People don't brew their own alcohol, either, and do you know why? It's because it's a huge, time-consuming process. To make any significant amount requires a huge infrastructure, and there's basically no way you could do it illegally (and actually, you are allowed to brew your own alcohol in your home in America, but almost nobody does it because it's little payoff for a lot of effort). This is in stark contrast to something called 'weed' that is ridiculously easy to cultivate.

    People also ate raw/undercooked meat for thousands of years and chopped each others' hands off for stealing, I suppose that must mean that these are also fantastic ideas which need to be brought back pronto, right???

    Well, as I (sort of) promised, here are three peer-reviewed, published, and credible studies on marijuana:
    It adversely affects student performance and/or mental acuity.
    It's addictive.
    It is detrimental to your health.
    And I doubt you even skimmed that. The gist of the article was: woman having insomnia/anxiety 10 years after regularly smoking weed, columnist consults three professionals, all of whom say, "Your symptoms probably aren't from pot, but don't smoke it anyway because it is terrible for you." In addition to going against your point completely, as a newspaper column that article isn't terribly credible - it falls somewhere between the studies I just posted and a blog.

    Anyway, although I rebutted that source you posted, I have a feeling that, above all else, it indicates that I'm being trolled, so I'm probably not going to reply to you any further. That, plus I've spent way too much time in this thread in the past already.

  14. #889
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    People don't brew their own alcohol, either, and do you know why? It's because it's a huge, time-consuming process. To make any significant amount requires a huge infrastructure, and there's basically no way you could do it illegally (and actually, you are allowed to brew your own alcohol in your home in America, but almost nobody does it because it's little payoff for a lot of effort). This is in stark contrast to something called 'weed' that is ridiculously easy to cultivate.

    People also ate raw/undercooked meat for thousands of years and chopped each others' hands off for stealing, I suppose that must mean that these are also fantastic ideas which need to be brought back pronto, right???

    Well, as I (sort of) promised, here are three peer-reviewed, published, and credible studies on marijuana:
    It adversely affects student performance and/or mental acuity.
    It's addictive.
    It is detrimental to your health.
    And I doubt you even skimmed that. The gist of the article was: woman having insomnia/anxiety 10 years after regularly smoking weed, columnist consults three professionals, all of whom say, "Your symptoms probably aren't from pot, but don't smoke it anyway because it is terrible for you." In addition to going against your point completely, as a newspaper column that article isn't terribly credible - it falls somewhere between the studies I just posted and a blog.

    Anyway, although I rebutted that source you posted, I have a feeling that, above all else, it indicates that I'm being trolled, so I'm probably not going to reply to you any further. That, plus I've spent way too much time in this thread in the past already.
    People DO brew their own alcohol. Moonshine man. Im actually from the same town as Popcorn Sutton the most famous moonshiner of recent times, not that that matters. And since people can grow their own weed and buy it so easily the Cartels dont stand to make much profit off of it do they? Ill admit I didnt read that article I linked but Im certainly not trolling.

    1st article: This one was sad. The kids who care about doing good in school and not getting in trouble arent going to goto school and get high.

    2nd article: tl;dr

    3rd article: Didnt have enough information.

  15. #890
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Goldeen State
    Posts
    130

    Default

    I feel as if it's one those situations where it will become legal and people will eventually stop using it for that reason, and the ones that are left will probably be convinced off of it due to propaganda.

  16. #891
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokénaut View Post
    I feel as if it's one those situations where it will become legal and people will eventually stop using it for that reason, and the ones that are left will probably be convinced off of it due to propaganda.
    Well you obviously have never gotten high before.People are going to keep doing it after its legal even if it becomes less "cool".

  17. #892
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokénaut View Post
    I feel as if it's one those situations where it will become legal and people will eventually stop using it for that reason, and the ones that are left will probably be convinced off of it due to propaganda.
    Using that logic, one could realize that to lower the amount of teen sex, we should repeal the age of consent.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  18. #893
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    94

    Default

    If alcohol, cigarettes and salvia are legal, I don't see why marijuana won't eventually follow. I think it has its ability to be hazardous to your lungs, but so are cigarettes, and then alcohol is intoxicating too. I think stigma has to wear off before the laws are changed, is all.

    {the rest, I haven't decided on yet or trained far enough.}

  19. #894
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    It probably would reduce cartel activity/violence, but by how much?
    Any is good surely?

    Probably little, as cartels deal in a lot of other drugs that won't ever be legal and, more importantly, weapons. It's also extremely difficult to accurately gauge how much activity cartels have, and what sort of illegal activities they're actually conducting, so basing a mostly-unrelated law like this on them would be insanity.
    Any legalisation will reduce the power of cartels. That's just logical.

    imo, it would also open the doors to illegal exporting out of the US, which doesn't sound like a terrific risk to take to me.
    Hardly that much of a problem in Holland/Portugal etc.

    Because, as we all know, age limits have been successfully keeping drugs out of the hands of kids for decades!
    Well it will make some difference. Of course it's not going to get rid of under-age usage altogether, but anything is better than what we have now. Right now, the legal age to buy pretty much any drug is about ten dollars/pounds.

    Come on, now. Increasing its availability is only going to trickle down and increase its prevalence in youth (even though, as you mention, they'll do it anyway, we don't need to increase how much they're doing).
    No evidence this is the case.

    I also very much doubt that placing high taxes on a plant you can grow in your closet will bring in significant revenue, much less enough to, er... alleviate national debt.
    How many people brew beer/grow tobacco at home? Not that many. Even then, there's no need to tax it highly. Just tax it fairly.

    There is one plus to legalizing marijuana, though, now that I think about it: they'd finally be able to conduct meaningful longitudinal studies on its effects. Of course, this would most likely lead to efforts to re-illegalize it, so it's a mixed bag, but eh. The more you know.
    Yeah because all those studies so far have really come down on cannabis as being really harmful.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 22nd October 2012 at 3:04 PM.

  20. #895
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    How many people brew beer/grow tobacco at home? Not that many.
    I agree with you on everything else but people will grow marijuana to get around taxes. Its too easy. Growing tobacco is a long and grueling process and so is making your own alcohol. There are actually alot of people who make their own alcohol where Im from.

  21. #896
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    I agree with you on everything else but people will grow marijuana to get around taxes. Its too easy. Growing tobacco is a long and grueling process and so is making your own alcohol. There are actually alot of people who make their own alcohol where Im from.
    Yes but not very many. The point is, if Cannabis is legalised and licensed, people will have a choice. The choice between high quality licensed produce, or lower quality stuff (I won't say it's less safe because Cannabis is pretty much harmless) scraped together in someone's bedroom. Prohibition economics 101.

    TBF it's not even that much of an issue anyway because producing and selling cannabis is IMO an amoral profession anyway.

  22. #897
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokénaut View Post
    I feel as if it's one those situations where it will become legal and people will eventually stop using it for that reason, and the ones that are left will probably be convinced off of it due to propaganda.
    Oh, of course! Incidentally, new information suggests that Charles Manson killed all the people he did "because murder's illegal, illegal stuff is cool, and I wanted to be cool." How do you like that? If we legalize murder, we can prevent people like Charles Manson from ever being a problem ever again! (source)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  23. #898
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Yes but not very many. The point is, if Cannabis is legalised and licensed, people will have a choice. The choice between high quality licensed produce, or lower quality stuff (I won't say it's less safe because Cannabis is pretty much harmless) scraped together in someone's bedroom. Prohibition economics 101.

    TBF it's not even that much of an issue anyway because producing and selling cannabis is IMO an amoral profession anyway.
    You can grow very high quality marijuana in your closet with the right seeds and equipment.

  24. #899
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    You can grow very high quality marijuana in your closet with the right seeds and equipment.
    If the quality is that good then you imagine they'll apply for an obtain a licence.

  25. #900
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    If the quality is that good then you imagine they'll apply for an obtain a licence.
    But it could be like alcohol where its really hard and expensive to obtain a license. And then you have to pay taxes when you sell it. I think it would be better if they just didnt tax it.

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •