Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #33

I don't know about you guys, but I actually USED Excadrill in the Pokemon VGC 2011 Championships. Sounds crazy, but there could be synergy with other Unova Pokemon.

Take my set for example:

Double Battles
    Item: Razor Fang (I was too lazy to get a Choice Scarf, Choice Scarf is RECOMMENDED)
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVS: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    Moveset:
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Metal Claw

This set is the classic Excadrill. This set is usable in a multi-Pokemon VGC 2011 battle, which is slightly odd. Do I have to explain?

Partners in Doubles:

Ferrothorn can set up Sandstorm in VGC 2011 rules, but you can use Tyranitar instead for normal doubles. Electross and Hydreigon can be used well with Earthquake.

BTW, I actually lost with this Excadrill, mainly because I didn't have time to EV train and breed for natures.

@Weathereffectrain, Shadow claw isn't the best option, since there is nothing notable it hits better than X-scissor or Return

anyways....

Every generation can be defined by a pokemon. G/S/C had the mighty Curselax, D/P/Pt had CB Scizor, and now B/W has Excadrill. Able to outspeed and 0hit KO most standards after a Swords Dance in the sand, every team needs to have a check to this guy.

Abilities: Sand Force: A Great ability, but it pales in comparison to...
    Sand Rush: Absolutly increadible. During sand with this ability, Excadrill is only outsped by a few +2 speed pokemon.

Sets:
    THE B/W Sweeper
    Excadrill@LifeOrb/ Balloon
    Adamant 4HP, 252 ATK, 252 SPE
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Return/Rapid Spin/ X-scissor

Here it is, Arguably the best sweeper in B/W OU. Switch into an electric, poison, or ground attack (with the Balloon of course), SD, and sweep whole teams. Earthquake and rock slide provide near perfect neutral coverage. The choice between Return, Rapid Spin, and X-scissor depends on your teams need. Return will do the most to Rotom-W, Gliscor, and Landorous, while X-scissor hits things like Celebi and Bronzong harder. Excadrill also makes the best offensive rapid spinner in the game, since he can outspeed and ko most spinblockers. I suppose you could run Jolly over Adamant if you want to outspeed opposing Excadrills, but Adamants power is very appreciated. And one more thing. Never, Ever run excadrill without Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Dont do it, he becomes a relativly bad pokemon without them.

Checks and Counters

This is where a lot of you will be reading, wondering "How do you beat this guy?" Well the only reason Excadrill is not banned is because he is compleatly destroyed by any other type of Weather. Send in a Politoed or Ninetales (or Abomasnow, if you play that way) to stop him dead. If you're running clear skys, your best bets are Rotom-W, Gliscor, Conckeldurr, and Azumarill, who can all either survive a hit and OHKO back, or hit him with STAB SE priority.
    Last edited by Guildenstarn; 16th August 2011 at 8:28 AM.

no access to iron head?

Speedy Sweep
    Item: Life Orb
    Adamant
    252 ATK 252 SPD 4 HP

Moves
    Swords Dance
    Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    Earthquake/Drill Run
    X-Scissor/Rapid Spin/Aerial Ace/Skull Bash/Brick Break

A basic sweep set. EQ and Drill Run both get STAB. This set covers most types, Except Dragon (but most are paired with Flying, so Rock Slide covers those), Water, Ghost and Ground.
    I CALL DIBS ON DREAM WORLD ESPEON!
    ABILITY SO COOL
    ITS AWESOME.
    'Nuff said.

Lf modest DW poliwag offering adamant darumaka, and a few MALE dream world eevee's PM me if you have one.
    Also looking for shiny: Cryogonal, Heatmore and Trubbish.

I have plenty of Darumaka (2 boxes, Inner focus ones via breeding) and Eevees.

Potential Counters (cont.)
    The list of what can get past your Sandstorm-Speed is getting smaller. I originally posted Prankster Whimsicott with Leech Seed as a counter. I completely forgot about another Move it gets that works much better, even though I mentioned it in the same post: Worry Seed. Prankster Priority Worry Seed shuts your Sand Rush down before you can knock Whimsicott down.

Sturdy Ability Pokemon with Counter (Sawk, Forretress, Donphan, Bastiodon) or Metal Burst (Aggron, Bastiodon) can rip heavily into you. Among those 5, only Sawk will get KO'd by Sandstorm damage.

Without proper Stealth Rock setup, a Speed Boost Yanmega with neutral Giga Drain or Speed Boost Sharpedo with STAB+Super Effective Waterfall can come in, use Protect/Detect, and deal heavy damage. Upon release, Speed Boost Blaziken can do similar damage with either STAB. Even worse is letting a Baton Passer give them Speed on top of that.

Super Fang allows for a Brine KO if you can swing it. Not likely, but possible.

Aftermath Ability makes you think twice about contact-based Moves. You can still use EQ or Rock Slide, but that's half of your full offense.

Choice Ground is far too easy to switch into, so any Flying Type/Levitate Ability that can set up Speed or get support from Politoed or Ninetales is an issue. Even more so if you can pull off a Zoroark psych out with Choice EQ Exca.

In Doubles/Triples, Slaking can be a threat with decent Physical bulk, especially with a Skill Swapper. Exca is the likely target of the Truant-Swap.

Pressure hurts you where your offense is weakest: low PP. EQ, Rock Slide, and Drill Run have 10 PP each, X-Scissor and Shadow Claw have 15 PP, and Rapid Spin doesn't have power worth noting. After Pressure, you have 5 and 8 uses (still only 8 and 12 uses after PP Max), respectively. The worst part is that Aerodactyl and Vespiquen have immunity to EQ/Drill Run, making them free switches into the aforementioned Choice Exca without Stealth Rock support.

Quote Originally Posted by Guildenstarn View Post
    @Weathereffectrain, Shadow claw isn't the best option, since there is nothing notable it hits better than X-scissor or Return
    Ghosts. NVE/Uneffected. My question was to E_E, and if EQ/Rock Slide hit harder or not. But otherwise whatever is like yeah.

@Kraleck: Aggron and Bastiodon in OU is really hard to use, I should know, they're like, never used. Plus, switching in on a x4SESTAB Attack isn't fun. Unless you're holding Air Balloon, but then he can Spin and pop it while Metal Burst does barely anything, due to the fact it's calculated via damage done. Otherwise I'd agree for like 75%. So yeh.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post
    E_E, anything disregarding the use of Shadow Claw? I see no real uses besides maybe the Rapid Spin set, and even then it's shaky. You got anything to vouch for or against it?
    I'm not particularly fond of Shadow Claw. All it's hitting in OU that Return, X-Scissor, or even STAB Earthquake isn't hitting harder/as hard (STAB EQ hits for the same power as Super Effective Shadow Claw) is Gengar, but since Excadrill is almost always used with Tyranitar, it's not really much of an issue, since TTar's trapping and eiminating/weakening Gengar anyhow.

It goes without saying there's little else to say about Excadrill. His biggest weakness is his complete lack of priority which coupled with some of the heaviest priority hitters will ruin him. Mach Punch Technician Breloom and Iron Fist Conkeldurr can easily revenge kill or come in on Swords Dance, so Gliscor is a worthwhile partner. While rare, Aqua Jet Azumarill has the power to take him down as well, while a weakened one can be revenged by a specially based Lucario.

I reject your Nyancats and replace it with my own.
    FB

Quote Originally Posted by svenosman View Post
    You can use dig if your other Pokémon uses a non-selected target move (like Golem uses Explosion). Bulldoze lowers Speed, which can be usefull for your Rock-type Pokémon, because most of them are slow. Aerial Ace is just for Fighting-type Pokémon, who else would hurt Excadrill a lot.

These are all just options.
    you shouldnt use areial ace because of its base power. a super effective areial ace is equivilent to 120 base power. STABed EQ is 150 base power. simply put a neutral EQ is stronger than a super effective areial ace. just use EQ

and in doubles dig is even worse. when you are underground EQ deals double damage. you use dig and if they use EQ (which is ALWAYS going to be seen in doubles because it hits both your pokemon) excadrill is done. unSTABed EQ against excadrill is like taking a base 200 power move. if you are underground that becomes equivilent to a base 400 power move. now add STAB and you see why dig is a horrible option. being weak to EQ means its hard enough to take a normal one. forget about trying to survive one while you are underground
    Last edited by tecannon521; 16th August 2011 at 7:10 PM.
    You cannont handle the steels!

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    I know about Excadrill's low Special Attack. The biggest reason I added a special attack at all is to make pokemon with mostly Physical attacks less pedictable. Sludge Bomb's poison bonus can be useful; espically when it can't do additional damage.

For countering advice, a pokemon that knows Counter, like Sawk, could counter Excadrill. Ferrothorn's high Defence and Iron Barbs ability can work too.

As for Metal Claw, a STAB move can also boost the Physical Attack of Excadrill's already high Attack power, is the only Steel-type attack it knows for a Ground/Steel-type Pokemon; so I put it. But, I can recommend to replace that with Aerial Ace, a no-miss attack that can be used against Fighting-Types; or Poison Jab, a Physical-version of Sludge Bomb.
    you have good ideas but on excadrill they just dont work. 50 special attack is just too low. if it was like 70 or higher it might be an option but at 50 its not.
    and the thing with metal claw is that it has mediocre base power after STAB and steel is a poor offensive type. good ideas though

Has anyone put up a dedicated spinning set?
    Excadrill@Leftovers
    252 HP/40 Def/216 Speed
    Trait:Sand Rush
    Nature:Jolly
    -Rapid Spin
    -Shadow Claw/EQ
    -Rock Slide/EQ
    -Swords Dance/EQ
    Rapid Spin hazards away, which is cool with a 4x resist to SR and immunity to T-spikes. Shadow Claw smacks Gengar/Mismagius(a rare sight in ou but still there) who both have levitate. EQ can be used over that or Rock Slide/Swords Dance. Even with No investment, you still have 306 Atk. which is a good as a +natured base 90. 40 Defense evs make your defenses even, and the rest is in speed to be faster. Not the most common excadrill for a very good reason, but still usable.
    Likely to be very inactive due to school. Sorry.
    PM me if you would like me to rate your team. Known as [T3]Xaos on PO.

Member of the Triumvirate clan. If you want to join, then i have referred you. I also will EV train pokes. PM me for more info. Credit goes to Gladeshadow for the Banner. I've won one tourney. LC gen 5.
    Missingno 3.70919 167
    Klinklang 3.68698 166
    You know a pokemon is bad when Missingno. is used more than it...
    στο χάος προέρχεται απελευθέρωσης

Quote Originally Posted by tecannon521 View Post
    you shouldnt use areial ace because of its base power. a super effective areial ace is equivilent to 120 base power. STABed EQ is 150 base power. simply put a neutral EQ is stronger than a super effective areial ace. just use EQ

and in doubles dig is even worse. when you are underground EQ deals double damage. you use dig and if they use EQ (which is ALWAYS going to be seen in doubles because it hits both your pokemon) excadrill is done. unSTABed EQ against excadrill is like taking a base 200 power move. if you are underground that becomes equivilent to a base 400 power move. now add STAB and you see why dig is a horrible option. being weak to EQ means its hard enough to take a normal one. forget about trying to survive one while you are underground
    I understand.

So what set do you recommand, after giving your view about the set of others?
    3009 7432 7055

3 things about me:
    1. My mother tongue (if it is called that way) is not English (its Dutch, btw), so if I do make mistakes, sorry.
    2. Please send back a PM to me untill the trade is done. I hate it when people suddenly stop sending PMs.
    3. When I talk about a Pokémon in the POTW, I talk about its options in Random Matchup. So no UU, OU, NU, ubers or "drizzle won't activate swift swim" for me.

Default Double Battle Potential

Excadrill can be a good choice for double battles with its access to EQ and Rock Slide, but he needs to be careful around other weather teams. Another big threat would be users of wide guard: Mienshao, Machamp, Gigalith, etc. Mienshao is a big threat to Excadrill b/c he can limit his offensive potential with Wide Guard and Fake Out.

Quote Originally Posted by svenosman View Post
    I understand.

So what set do you recommand, after giving your view about the set of others?
    excadrill doesnt really have many viable sets. pretty much exactly what everyone has said. EQ, rock slide, x-scissor (mainly for grass types because EQ gets not very effective hits on grass), and then your choice of swords dance, rapid spin, or shadow claw (which is only useful for gengar). item is up to you. choice band for pure power at the cost of move switching or life orb for slightly less power and move switching at the cost of HP. and then EVs, ability, and nature are standard.

EXCADRILL!!! <3

Type: Ground/Steel
    Ability: Sand Rush/Sand Force/Mold Breaker (Dream World)
    Base Stats: 110 HP / 135 Atk / 60 Def / 50 SAtk / 65 SDef / 88 Spd
    Pros: Excellent attack, great type combination, lots of resistances, very
    deadly in the Sandstorm
    Cons: Weakness to Fighting priority like Mach Punch

Excadrill @Balloon
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly/Adamant Nature
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -X-Scissor/Brick Break
    -Swords Dance

Excadrill is the most terrifying physical sweeper in Gen V as long as Sandstorm is activated. Capable of reaching over 600 Speed and over 700 Attack after a
    Swords Dance, very few Pokemon will stand in its way. Earthquake and Rock Slide provide excellent coverage, while your third move is up to you. X-Scissor is for bulky Grass and Psychic types like Celebi and Slowbro, but Brick Break is needed for enemys who often carry a Balloon like Heatran, Terrakion,or even enemy Excadrills.
    FC Code: 3482-2712-9159

Spoiler:- Truth is...:

Quote Originally Posted by Venomfang View Post
    We don't need to make Ash look like a ******* because he already is one.

Oh joy. The POTW is one of the main reasons I think permasand should be banned, if not all permanent weather. Anyway, it's a boss. Counters to sand rush excadrill in sand: Azumarill, who can priority OHKO with STAB Aqua Jet if its ability is Huge Power and it's holding a Choice Band. Conkeldurr can 2HKO with Drain Punch followed by Mach Punch, IIRC. So make sure your team includes one of those pokemon unless you wanna get swept mercilessly. Also, Erufuun helps because of Prankster. You can trick an Iron Ball onto Exca or maybe throw up a priority Cotton Guard with a Bold set. Not sure if this saves you though.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Honestly,Excadrill works much better as a sweeper with the ability to spin rather than a dedicated spinner. There are far better pokemon to use as spinners after all (Forretress, Starmie) Excadrill prefers coverage.
    Also, Drill Run and Shadow Claw have no place on an Excadrill set. Earthquake hits harder than Drill run, and a SE Shadow Claw still has about 10BP less than STAB Earthquake, The two it would really hit harder are Gengar and I think Mismagius, due to levitate, but theyre frail enought that rock slide should KO anyways.

@E_E, thanks for clearing that up, I was figuring that'd probly be the only use...

I must say though that Excadrill is quite usable in Ubers especially if you need a spinner; Great team-mate for the likes of Ho-Oh, x4 resist to Rock and SR and in immunity to Electric are quite fun, but watch out for Water. Then he'd switch in, Spin, switch out.

Also able to Revenge Kill with a Scarf,(Sometimes without it despite the lack of two Base Speed against most,) and the ability to manage quite a few Ubers. Examples being; Scarfed Variant taking the kill to a Resh/Zek, taking a hefty chunk out of Specsogre(Last Time I checked, I may be wrong), and just being able to smack Rayquaza pretty hard with Rock Slide.

I've not played Ubers in a while; I'd not know alot of examples.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post
    Ghosts. NVE/Uneffected. My question was to E_E, and if EQ/Rock Slide hit harder or not. But otherwise whatever is like yeah.

@Kraleck: Aggron and Bastiodon in OU is really hard to use, I should know, they're like, never used. Plus, switching in on a x4SESTAB Attack isn't fun. Unless you're holding Air Balloon, but then he can Spin and pop it while Metal Burst does barely anything, due to the fact it's calculated via damage done. Otherwise I'd agree for like 75%. So yeh.
    I just post individual counters, not tier-based counters. Helps with those who say tiers are crap, like myself. Some "high tier" Pokemon have "low tier" counters.

EQ-OHKO. Balloon? Brick Break.

No offence or anything, but Tiers are based on the Pokemon's usage, and thus it means that if they're not used alot, they're in the low tiers, and they've got little use in main battles.

Tiers aren't stupid, they're educated and decided by those who use them; Aggron is RU because it's got horrible typing, if it was Steel and had Recovery aside from Rest it would be used alot more. But, it's got plenty of weaknesses, and it's hard to use.

After reading through, it's very clear that Excadrill is very one-dimensional. It can hit hard and fast, and it can rapid spin. Beyond that, Excadrill's usefulness is completely gone. I always try to find some fancy and gimmick set to put up that can be effective, but that's not possible.

That being said, Excadrill is still powerful. But I think we have a shallow barrel in terms of options for Excadrill because we made the only good sets right away.
    I claim Buizel.

^Gimmicks? I know one. Hax.

Haxcadrill, the Gimmick.
    Item: Scope Lens
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    -Drill Run
    -Slash
    -Shadow Claw
    -Swagger

Hax it up. Never use this, ever.

If you want Gimmicks, Toxic stall is the say to go
    Excadrill@Balloon
    Jolly 252HP, 4DEF, 252SPE
    Toxic
    Dig
    Mud-Slap
    Rock Slide

Toxic, Then dig. 2X Power Earthquakes after dig? Not with the Balloon. You'll move fast enough to attack before they Earthquake. Mud Slap lowers their accuracy so they have less chance to hit.
    Best set ever. Believe it.

Sweeper Soup With a Hint of Support
    Excadrill@Leftovers
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/ 252 Spe
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Rapid Spin
    -Rock Slide

Swords Dance, Rock Slide and Earthquake are common attacking moves on Excadrill and Rapid Spin is thrown in for the added bonus of a speedy Spinner under and only under Sandstorm. I go with Leftovers over Air Balloon because Skarmory's Brave Birds start to take their toll after a while.

No Sand Rush? Noob!
    Excadrill@Choice Scarf
    Nature:Adamant
    Ability:Sand Force
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Metal Claw/Return
    -X-Scissor

A little bit gimmicky but it's sort of cool nonetheless. I've tested this set many times and it surprisingly works. You can use Metal Claw for the STAB and Sand Force boost which takes its base power all the way to around 99. That hits hard off of a max Attack Excadrill. For you speed demons, don't worry. He's still pretty fast with a Scarf reaching 412 in speed.
    A Remnant of the Battling Academy:
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/200s1s4.gif[/IMG]

My Current Team:

Quote Originally Posted by Ciliano View Post
    A little bit gimmicky but it's sort of cool nonetheless. I've tested this set many times and it surprisingly works. You can use Metal Claw for the STAB and Sand Force boost which takes its base power all the way to around 99. That hits hard off of a max Attack Excadrill. For you speed demons, don't worry. He's still pretty fast with a Scarf reaching 412 in speed.
    That's my one beef with Exca' - I hate not having a decent Move for every STAB on those that can use their offense. Having only 1 usable attack Move for its second STAB (Hidden Power (Steel) is crap in Exca's hands...er, claws) is a letdown. It may have actually been better off without the Steel Type (STAB-wise), but then you'd be vulnerable to Toxic.

Why it didn't get Iron Head is beyond me...could've had Gyro Ball, but wouldn't need it (much like Electrode)...lack of a tail means Iron Tail is out in the design anyway. A unique Steel Move would've been nice, game designers.

It is a nice gimmick, but Sand Force applies to Rock and Ground Moves, so you'll likely have a better option over Steel, barring Claydol. Even then, you have access to anti-Psychic Moves for Bronzong and Claydol. Maybe against a Flying/Rock Type or Levitate Ability Rock Type, but those aren't too common...

^Metal Claw gets the Sand Force boost;

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Force
    Ground-type, Rock-type & Steel-type moves have their power increased by 33% in a Sandstorm
    Actually, Metal Claw could be noted for a bit more tanky Exca with Sand Force and Choice Band, which makes Metal Claw actually quite usable, and his Attack is... Frightening. Of course it shouldn't be used more oft then not, but it's an interesting though. I'd like some Calcs if someone could check, maybe CBSand Force STAB Metal Claw/EQ with the boost from Sandstorm. I'd love to see what they can do to common walls. Of course, Metal Claw would be little used anyways, because common walls barely will ever use Air Balloon or the like and more resist Metal Claw than not, and... It should go in OO as a strong attack when backed up by it's other stuff ut outclassed by it's other moves. There.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast