Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salamence Vs. Dragonite

I love Salamence simply because he looks BAWS
    Friend Code:
    Pokemon Trainer Cloud
    2406 5173 7383

I have Mastered Metagross

Mence. Cooler design, runs a better mix set, more powerful DDer, can run a very good bulky/ support set. There's a reason smogon never made d-nite an uber
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/343jiwx.png[/IMG]
    Keeping the classics alive

Quote Originally Posted by MasterLucario View Post
    Mence. Cooler design, runs a better mix set, more powerful DDer, can run a very good bulky/ support set. There's a reason smogon never made d-nite an uber
    Yeah, he never had Multi Scale, which makes him far better at bulky sets and arguably at DD sets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Yeah, he never had Multi Scale, which makes him far better at bulky sets and arguably at DD sets as well.
    Well he's hardly ban-worthy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveil View Post
    Well he's hardly ban-worthy with it.
    Never said he was. At least, not in 5th Gen. Now, stick Multi Scale Dragonite in a 4th Gen metagame and you may have different results.

It normally depends, Dragonite's new ability lets it fill a supportive/defencive role, which Salamence can only hope to pull off, but in terms of power and speed, Salamence wins. As for a one on one situation, Salamence wins in most cases. Reason being Dragonite needs full health to cushion Salamence's STAB Outrages, and in most Paraphazing Dragonite sets, EVs are towards Dragonite's SpDef stat to soften hits taken from Ice Beams. However, even if Dragonite happens to survive an Outrage, Dragonite can't do much in return after an Attack drop, courtesy of Salamence's Intimidate. If Dragonite were to use Thunder Wave after surviving Outrage, Roost most likely won't be able to get Dragonite to full health to cushion another blow, and thus Salamence wins. Dragon Tail will do minimal damage and will often not be able to KO.
    ~~Insert Creative Sig Here~~

Salamence Dragonite is way to slow to outcome mence. the fact that mence has interminate which also is a highly usable ability. if u run roost on nite he will lack coverage. nite cant even outspeed scarfed rotoms after a boost t~t
    hovewer if ur gnna run a banded set or a rain abuser id go with nite

edit:
    nite will also cost u a spinner, and if u dnt have a spinner hes compleately outrated by mence.

I prefer using Dragonite. Running max HP with balanced defences using Roost, Substitute, Thunder Wave and Dragon Tail works amazingly.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I'm gonna keep this short, Dragonite.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

while salamence as a warm spot in my heart, as my first game was sapphire and included one, i have to admit that given the right EV spread, dragonite can take any hit.. for example on wifi battle a guy sent out a mence, i sent out multiscale d nite, he draco meteors i survive, and precede to hit it with a choice banded outrage... Have to admit, dragonite is better, but they are used for different purposed, but when looking at them battling each other, dragonite can take almost any hit salamence throws at it, as long as there arn't too many dd's up
    If you think that Steven was the best Hoenn champion copy and paste this into your sig.

Fc: 3010-0439-7768

I'm going to say Salamence.

I like it because of it's variety, it isn't stuck using a DD set.
    It can DD sure, but also go mixed and attempt a special set.

DNite is just so predictable :S
    Plus, SR completley ruins its ability.

I kill Salamences easy. Every Dragonite I face slaughters my team. And I see them alot.

Meh. We got dis. Powerful vines and all. We whip 'em. With our vines. Powah Whip. :3
    In honor of AlexandriaTheMixed and Project Retribution
    Oh, the shame...

Id have to say Dragonite as well, Salamence is good too but dragonite is more sturdy. I icebeam it or headsmash it and it survives lol. Even with one DD it damagges alot on my Bastiodon as well.
    WHITE2: 0906 0589 1140
    X: 0216 0799 9223

I hate them both i love garchomp
    I dont undrestand why he is a uber now
    Most recent shiny:
    3DS FC: 4227-2881-7628

Salamence is good for sweeping. Dragonite is good for sweeping and as a healer. So its a tuff choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aveil View Post
    I like it because of it's variety, it isn't stuck using a DD set.
    Wait, what?

Salamence doesn't have near the variety that Dragonite does. Salamence has DD, mixed, and bulky sets. Even then, the bulky sets (and arguably the DD sets) are outclassed by DNite. On the other hand, DNite can sweep with DD, go mixed, run a bulky parashuffler set, run a CB, and even serve as a potent Rain sweeper. The mixed set is honestly all that Salamence has over Dragonite, with the exception of a purely offensive DD set in some occasions.

Don't get me wrong, Salamence is amazing. MixMence is still one of the most powerful wall breakers ever. But DNite has much more variety.

Quote Originally Posted by 2rsa View Post
    I hate them both i love garchomp
    I dont undrestand why he is a uber now
    High Attack, Trollish Speed, Sand Veil, and possibly some other reasons that I can't think of, are why Garchomp is Uber.

On topic, I've never actually tried Salamence, but I have used Dragonite. Even with Stealth Rock, more often than not, it's able to get multiple DDs up (Thank god for Roost.)

i prefer dragonite's bulk and with multiscale he can always pull off at least one DD
    I claim Larvitar!

Default Salamence

Salamence is too boss not too choose in this one. Aside from bias here, it's already been said, he hits harder, faster and please don't overlook moxie as its DW ability

Dragonite, since you'll always get 1 or 2 DD's up thanks to multiscale.
    Also it's move pool give him great coverage so it's a real good sweeper.

Generation 5 brought many new things to the table that make both pretty much tied.

Dragonite is great, as in, great. He's incredibly bulky, yet he hits really hard at the same time. Multiscale with DD makes this thing an abomination to deal with. The boost from it is enough to outspeed most Salamence that aren't DD boosted or Scarved. Extremespeed and Superpower allow it to revenge kill, deal with various foes, and just plain wreck havoc. CB Extremespeeds put major hurt on anything that doesn't resist; and don't get me started on Outrage. So Salamence has 1 point more in attack than Dragonite. But does he have the same bulk? No. Both specialize in the attack stat, so saying that Salamence is better with the special attack stat doesn't support the arguement much. All in all, Dragonite takes hits, sets up, hits hard, and is super versatile.

At the same time, Salamence is nothing to scoff at. It has much more initial speed, so DD isn't as necessary. He was extremely powerful, until Outrage and Moxie got banned from being used together. Quite a big blow to his potential. Still, Moxie works very well, officially getting him back up. What about, say, CB/LO Moxie and Dragon Claw/(insert powerful move here)? That can be very difficult to handle without preparations. I don't see why the very small difference in attacking stat is hyped over, though. Sure, it maximizes your chances of winning, but does it make any actual difference when you 2HKO or 3HKO most things in the first place. 35.46% into 35.98% isn't much, is it? How rare do you think it'll be that the extra attack will make a vital difference? Bulk might be more important here.

Again, they're pretty much tied, but I'm leaning towards Dragonite. And NO, I'm not a fanboy. Username is just somewhat of a coincidence, got it?
    ~Fact of the Whenever~
    Life gives you lemons because a large portion of humanity wasn't thankful for the grapes it already had. Please treat all fruit with respect.

I like to use a Dragonite with Choice Band and Outrage.

Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

Dragonite, I never liked Salamence

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedragonites View Post
    He was extremely powerful, until Outrage and Moxie got banned from being used together. Quite a big blow to his potential.
    It's not so much that they were banned together, it's that they're actual illegal together. Since Outrage is a 4th Gen move tutor and Moxie is a Dream World ability, there's no legal way to get both on the same Salamence ingame.

On a related note, I don't quite understand the hype over Moxie. Honestly, if Salamence kills something and gets an Atk boost, who's gonna send in something bulky to try and take another hit? No, they're gonna send in something that can outspeed and kill Salamence, in which case that Atk boost is pretty much useless. Now, if your opponent doesn't have anything to outspeed and kill Mence, chances are you were probably gonna sweep whether you have the Moxie boost or not. It's a decent ability for late game, but I'd personally rather have Intimidate to give Salamence more opportunities to switch in.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    It's not so much that they were banned together, it's that they're actual illegal together. Since Outrage is a 4th Gen move tutor and Moxie is a Dream World ability, there's no legal way to get both on the same Salamence ingame.

On a related note, I don't quite understand the hype over Moxie. Honestly, if Salamence kills something and gets an Atk boost, who's gonna send in something bulky to try and take another hit? No, they're gonna send in something that can outspeed and kill Salamence, in which case that Atk boost is pretty much useless. Now, if your opponent doesn't have anything to outspeed and kill Mence, chances are you were probably gonna sweep whether you have the Moxie boost or not. It's a decent ability for late game, but I'd personally rather have Intimidate to give Salamence more opportunities to switch in.
    although, if it's gotten a dragon dance in, your opponent might not having anything to outspeed it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast