Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 NBA/NCAAB Thread

Default 2016-2017 NBA/NCAAB Thread

The 2016-2017 NBA season is underway. Can the Golden State Warriors win the championship with Durant? Or will Lebron and co. bring home another title for Cleveland?

College basketball has also begun. Hopefully Michigan rebounds after two somewhat disappointing seasons (they won the 2K Classic tonight!).

It's nice to see Michigan blowout SMU because SMU blew out Michigan last season. Michigan looked strong against Marquette and now SMU. I've been very impressed with DJ Wilson. He's improved a great deal. This will be a fun Michigan team to watch this season.

The bulls have been really hot and are starting to come together already. If the big 3 can stay healthy I think they could at least have a chance to compete with the cavs.

DeMar Derozan is currently the leading scorer and has really developed that midrange jumpshot,which is a lost art in today's game.LeBron is still the best player in the NBA,his team will more than likely make it to the Eastern Conference Finals again,Kyrie Irving really takes a big load off of LeBron's shoulders in 4th quarters.Tossup between Chicago,Boston,and Atlanta being the second seed in the east.
    Rajon Rondo is still doing his thing facilitating for the team but it all depends on how well he meshes with everyone in that organization because he has a track record of opting out immediatley after just one season,Dwayne Wade has improved on his 3 ball but he's slowing down and won't be able to produce at a high level on a consistent night like he used to do back in Miami.Jimmy Butler is one of the best on ball defenders in the game and can steal the ball in passing lanes,only problem I have is that he tends to not close out games in the 4th quarter,this is something he needs to do if he's going to be the leader of the team.

Dwight Howard is doing well so far in Atlanta,as long as he's healthy for 90 percent of the season I should expect him to put up the same similar numbers he put up back in Orlando,he may not be leading the team in points consistently but in the playoffs that's where he raises his level of play.Orlando Magic received Bismack Biyombo and Serge Ibaka during the off season,not a big fan of Serge's game because he tends to settle for the long range jumpshot a little too much,thank god Nikola Vucevic is still there,he's really good in the post and a good rebounder as well,after Scott Skiles resigned as head coach for the Magic Frank Vogel who previously coached Indiana Pacers stepped in to take his place.

Don't go for College Basketball, but I do watch the NCAA Tournament every year. Brings excitement and madness.

In NBA I go for the Lakers. After 3 years of tanking and misery, these young Lakers are putting a show. I miss Kobe but we gotta move on to the next chapter.

I think the Lakers have a shot at the 8th seed this year.

When it comes to the NBA I follow the Pistons and Bulls. When I was a kid my stepdad always watched Micheal Jordan and the Bulls. We watched many Chicago games on TV. Ever since then I've been following the Bulls. I also follow the Pistons because they are the hometown team lol. Both teams are rivals, but I like them both equally lol.

For NCAAB I'm a Michigan basketball fan obviously lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoFan82 View Post
    When it comes to the NBA I follow the Pistons and Bulls. When I was a kid my stepdad always watched Micheal Jordan and the Bulls. We watched many Chicago games on TV. Ever since then I've been following the Bulls. I also follow the Pistons because they are the hometown team lol. Both teams are rivals, but I like them both equally lol.

For NCAAB I'm a Michigan basketball fan obviously lol.
    I don't follow basketball as much as I used to, but I'm also a Bulls fan. I grew up watching Michael Jordan as well. After he left/retired from the Bulls, that team was horrible for so long lol. I've watched a couple games this season though to see how they'd do with Rondo and Wade on the team now, looking alright atm.

Definitely going to be interesting to see how the Warriors do with KD on the squad.

Credit for the banner goes to Satomine Night!
    - Also a member of Serena The Kalos Queen Fan Club, Serena4ever!

When it comes to the NBA I follow the Pistons and Bulls. When I was a kid my stepdad always watched Micheal Jordan and the Bulls. We watched many Chicago games on TV. Ever since then I've been following the Bulls. I also follow the Pistons because they are the hometown team lol. Both teams are rivals, but I like them both equally lol. For NCAAB I'm a Michigan basketball fan obviously lol.
    Just waiting for the day when the Pistons are back to their 2000s level.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Just waiting for the day when the Pistons are back to their 2000s level.
    I just heard today that the Pistons will be relocating back to downtown Detroit.

I just heard today that the Pistons will be relocating back to downtown Detroit.
    I think it's a good decision. Continues improving Detroit, and makes attending Pistons game a lot easier for many people.

A Cavs repeat would be nice, but I really want to see the Hornets win the NBA title too.

After seeing the Panthers' performance in the Super Bowl last season and then their disappointing follow-up season, the city of Charlotte deserves as much.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
    Shippings I support: Ash/Misty, Drew/May, Kenny/Dawn, Ash's Pikachu/Dawn's Buneary, Tracey/Daisy, Cilan/Iris, Clemont/Serena, Harley/Zoey, James/Jessie, Max/Bonnie, Max/Mira, Max/Vivi Winstrate (I multiship Max and only Max), Butch/Cassidy, Gary/Lillie, Kiawe/Lana, Sophocles/Mallow, Lunick/Solana, Wes/Rui, Brendan/Game May

RIP Blake Carrington, Ben Matlock, Joe Mannix, JR Ewing, Jim Phelps

Right now the best 3 teams in the West are the Warriors,Spurs,and Clippers.The best 3 teams in the East are the Cavaliers,Raptors,and Celtics.
    I really don't understand why Nikola Vucevic is sitting on the bench as 6th man for the Magic,he has a post game and can consistently grab boards and get points on a nightly basis.
    Last edited by PokemonBattleFanatic-; 28th December 2016 at 3:19 AM.

Kevin Durant is so far doing pretty well in Goldenstate,if Steph or Klay are struggling from the perimeter they can count on Durant to deliver he's also a better defender than both so it's safe to say that he's the best player on that team,although it really sucked that he stopped going for scoring titles,he currently has 4 and if he kept going for more he would eventually catch up to Wilt Chamberlain.

If Russell Westbrook continues this triple-double frenzy then he will more than likely win MVP,but also have to account the number of wins the Thunder get as well,the only problem I see with Russ is that he tends to only do certain things throughout the game rather than focusing at the task at hand,like instead of trying to score the ball in crunch time he forces it and tries to get those last rebounds or assists which could mean that he's chasing stats.

Will Sacramento actually make the playoffs? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Marcus Smart might be the biggest flopper in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    Will Sacramento actually make the playoffs? Lol.
    They'll continue living or dying around Cousins. If they miss the playoffs again, might just be worth letting him go - it'll give a clean slate for both parties.

Ok there was lil debate going on in some "other" thread about basketball so I'm bringing it over here, don't wanna go off-topic over there.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonBattleFanatic- View Post
    I fail to see how LeBron is the better defender just because of his size,when it comes down to on ball defense,help defense, and transition defense,steals in pass lanes,Jordan has him beat,he had Vlade Divac locked down from half court in the 91 finals.In a game of 1 on 1 LeBron is not shutting down Michael if he were to go to the rim because his whole career he was double and triple teamed.It's debatable whether or not Pippen was the better defender considering Jordan was the man for all of early to late 80s while when Pippen first came into the league he was coming off the bench and wasn't all that developed yet.

LeBron is a flashy passer but that doesn't make him a better passer,look at what Jordan was doing in the 91 finals,he racked up 11.4 APG against the L.A. Lakers.

LeBron is capable of taking over games but not as much as Jordan especially when we consider their moveset.

Michael Jordan
    Slashing
    Mid-Range Jumpshot
    Post Fadeaway Jumpshot
    Off-The Ball Jumpshot
    3-Point Jumpshot

LeBron James
    Slashing
    3-Point Jumpshot

MJ is the better finisher at the rim,better perimeter scorer,and better post player,he's also quicker,has better body control,and better footwork.

LeBron relies too much on his power to get to the basket and a lot of times you see that when he attacks the basket the lane is wide open while back in the 90s when Jordan attacked the rim there was always a big man camping in the lane waiting on him but of course a lot of that has to do with the defensive 3 second rule.

Jordan played in the UNSPACED phase of the modern era:
    That's a tougher time period than today's SPACED phase of the modern era.. It's statistical fact that Lebron and Curry achieve their stats WITH teammates spacing the floor,while Jordan achieved his stats WITHOUT teammates spacing the floor.

Obviously, Jordan's stats would explode in today's spacing.. Just look at Lebron and Westbrook - Jordan has same or better athleticism, but they can't shoot, while he had goat midrange efficiency, much better than Curry's.

Essentially, MJ had Lebron/Westbrook's athleticism and better midrange shooting than Stephen Curry.
    Spacing Issue: This is the biggest problem and I don't know if enough people realize it. I agree with everything your saying here (I've brought this up myself when comparing players), so you'll get no argument from me whatsoever. I actually hate how this has changed the game because to me it's like watching a shooting contest and teams imo are relying on shooting the 3 too much at times. The other thing is, you could also say that it's tougher to guard players these days because of this as well (too eager to call fouls).

As for the other things you're saying, it's 2 different times/eras and you're absolutely right to bring up that stuff (just like the spacing issue), there were more dominate Cs in the 90s as well. I personally think Lebron has those other attributes too just like Jordan, Mid-Range Jumpshot ,Post Fadeaway Jumpshot, Off-The Ball Jumpshot. I know you don't agree obviously.

Basically, this is why don't care for debating this tbh because of the different eras, how the game has changed when Jordan played and how it is when Lebron is playing right now, and how different these 2 players are. I've seen Jordan play growing up and Lebron as well, I'm just going by the "eye-test" for all intensive purposes and what I can remember off the top of my head tbh.

Credit for the banner goes to Satomine Night!
    - Also a member of Serena The Kalos Queen Fan Club, Serena4ever!

Well we're almost at the mid-season and the Lakers aren't going to the playoffs this year.

I guess we are "tanking" for the top 3 pick. But what I really care is the development of our young core.

It hurts losing so many games. :'(

I've come to the conclusion that anyone who says LeBron James is greater than Michael Jordan obviously didn't watch or study MJ in his prime years. (1987-1993)

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonBattleFanatic- View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that anyone who says LeBron James is greater than Michael Jordan obviously didn't watch or study MJ in his prime years. (1987-1993)
    MJ is the GOAT. Lebron is doing well though.

Honestly, if the Heat didn't underestimate (or maybe gelled better) against Mavs that first season with James/Bosh/Wade, James could have easily won that year. And in his first year at Cleveland, if Kyrie/Love weren't injured, there's a definitely a chance Cleveland could have beaten GSW.
    Last edited by Maldread; 28th January 2017 at 5:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    MJ is the GOAT. Lebron is doing well though.

Honestly, if the Heat didn't underestimate (or maybe gelled better) against Mavs that first season with James/Bosh/Wade, James could have easily won that year. And in his first year at Cleveland, if Kyrie/Love weren't injured, there's a definitely a chance Cleveland could have beaten GSW.
    LeBron just lacks the clutch gene that a Jordan or a Bird had,in his first appearance in the finals in 2007 he played like sh*t,in 2011 he played like even more sh*t,he only averaged 18 points,being outplayed by Jason Terry and being D'd up by Shawn Marion.MJ would not under perform on the biggest stage,he always separated himself from everyone else in the playoffs and raised his level of play.MJ is the only all-time great that led team in scoring for every series of career.

Stats Thru 31 Years Old:

JORDAN. PLAYOFFS:. 34.7 ppg.. 6.7 rpg.. 6.6 apg.. 2.3 spg.. 1.0 bpg.. 50.1 fg.. 58.1 ts.. 119 ortg.. 29.6 PER.. 0.258 ws/48
    LEBRON. PLAYOFFS:. 28.0 ppg.. 8.8 rpg.. 6.8 apg.. 1.8 spg.. 0.9 bpg.. 47.8 fg.. 56.7 ts.. 115 ortg.. 27.7 PER.. 0.238 ws/48

JORDAN FINALS:. 36.3 ppg.. 6.6 rpg.. 7.9 apg.. 2.0 spg.. 0.8 bpg.. 52.6 fg
    LEBRON FINALS:. 27.0 ppg.. 9.9 rpg.. 7.2 apg.. 1.9 spg.. 0.8 bpg.. 45.4 fg

Jordan scores 25% more in the playoffs and 33% more in the Finals on far better efficiency, while averaging equal or greater assists.

'clutch gene'? lol are you skip bayless?
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

'clutch gene'? lol are you skip bayless?
    Dozen examples of Michael Jordan performances in Playoff Series (1985-1993)

vs. Bucks, 1985 - 29.3 pts/5.8 reb/8.5 ast/2.8 stl/1.0 blk/44% FG

vs. Boston, 1986 - 43.7 pts/6.3 reb/5.7 ast/2.3 stl/1.3 blk/51% FG

vs. Boston, 1987 - 35.7 pts/7.0 reb/6.0 ast/2.0 stl/2.3 blk/42% FG

vs. Cavs, 1988 - 45.2 pts/5.4 reb/4.8 ast/2+ stl/1+ blk/56% FG

vs. Cavs, 1989 - 40.0 pts/5.8 reb/8.2 ast/2+ stl/1 blk/53% FG

vs. Knicks, 1989 - 35.8 pts/9.5 reb/8.3 ast/2+ stl/1 blk/55% FG

vs. Bucks, 1990 - 36.8 pts/8.0 reb/7.0 ast/3 stl/1+ blk/54% FG

vs. Philly, 1990 - 43.0 pts/6.6 reb/7.4 ast/3 stl/1+ blk/55+% FG

vs. Detroit, 1990 - 32.1 pts/7.1 reb/6.3 ast/2+ stl/1 blk/47% FG

vs. Philly, 1991 - 33.4 pts/8.0 reb/7.8 ast/1.8 stl/1.4 blk/49% FG

vs. Lakers, 1991 - 31.2 pts/6.6 reb/11.4 ast/2.8 stl/1.4 blk/56% FG

vs. Miami, 1992 - 45.0 pts/9.7 reb/6.7 ast/3 stl/1 blk/61% FG

vs. Portland, 1992 - 35.8 pts/4.8 reb/6.5 ast/2 stl/53% FG

vs. Phoenix, 1993 - 41.0 pts/8.5 reb/6.3 ast/2 stl/1 blk/51% FG

Are you seriously saying LeBron has 3 rings without being clutch in any game?

Are you seriously saying LeBron has 3 rings without being clutch in any game?
    LeBron teamed hopped TWICE to get 3 rings while Jordan won 3 rings without having to join any other team like the Pistons,Celtics,and Lakers,LeBron had all-star teammates(Dwayne Wade,Chris Bosh)
    Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love if we count 2017,Jordan only had 1 all-star teammate in both three peats 91-93 & 96-98 (Scottie Pippen).

MJ is the only all-time great that led team in scoring for every series of career.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast