Page 45 of 174 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 4342

Thread: The last movie you saw

Titanic. I teared up a little, even got a tear or two. So sad.
    Free Legendaries/Event Pokemon! PM me for details

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when they're footprints on the moon."
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! †

Black FC: 0304 4935 3012

The sitter, it had it's funny moments.

The chronicles of Narnia.
    Its was okay.

Last night I finally watched The Hunger Games. I've heard so much praise and I know the books have a massive fanbase, and I've been intending to read them for a while but I haven't got around to it (balancing a massive reading list for uni with a part-time job which has effectively become full-time for the last few weeks has made this tricky) so in the end I wound up seeing the first film on my night off before getting the chance to read the book. So, knowing what adaptations are like, I presume the book explains the elaborate premise in far more detail than the film does. As a total novice, there were times when I kept thinking "well, isn't that convenient?", when they probably had more of a buildup in the book, and that you learn more about the protagonist's thought processes (this is an inevitable side effect of adaptation to visual media).

That said, I really enjoyed the performances; there wasn't a single person who didn't put their all into this. Elizabeth Banks is a gem, and it's great to see her innate comic ability in a darker piece, and you can't go wrong with Woody Harrelson, one of the best character actors around. Stanley Tucci is also a stand-out, and his scenes managed to break up the monotony which occasionally seeped in. But the best "adult" performance was easily by Donald Sutherland, who is an underrated old-school treasure and deserves the exposure to a new generation which this role as President Snow can bring him. I read that he had two scenes added in for him because his theories on the character's motivations were so interesting and detailed, and his scenes were incredible. But the real star is Jennifer Lawrence, who continues to show that she's one of the best young actresses around; Catniss is a demanding role and she embodies it completely; although her inner monologue is gone, something which can be a major hindrance to actors playing protagonists, she acts the hell out of it. Once I've read the book, she'll be the part I rewatch for, to see just how good she is.

Now, from all that it might seem like I loved this movie. But, as well acted as it was, I really didn't. When I left the cinema I didn't feel like I'd seen a great movie or an instant classic, rather that I'd seen a decent blockbuster. I'm going to reserve judgment until I've read the book, but the film (without spoiling anything) had me thinking "and that just happened... for some reason" way too often. It felt too fantastical at times, being set several hundred years into a very odd future in a world too detached from our own, and that prevents the "is this what we'll become?" question from being as apt as it should be. My other major grievances are that the ending is WAY too convenient (with each new announcement, I cringed because the resolutions were just too neat), the players of the game (except for three... out of twenty-four) have nowhere near enough development for their deaths to matter, and the first hour seems to all be about getting sponsors, while I don't see what impact this has on the actual game once they get there.

Finally, and knowing that this review has dragged on, I've got to talk about the whole Battle Royale thing. This is NOT a rip-off of Battle Royale, it just has a similar basic premise based on the same ancient idea. There are things which Hunger Games does more effectively, and there are things which Battle Royale does more effectively. The biggest difference is that the game itself in Battle Royale is more visceral and unpredictable, and more grounded in reality. In Battle Royale, only two characters (out of forty) are really playing the game to win, and anyone who doesn't die at their hands dies as a direct result of their own paranoia and desperation. Even the characters who get a single scene are developed just enough to give a sense of who they were, and we learn their established relationships as the story progresses. In Hunger Games there are several characters who we're just told to buy as killing machines, and then half of the remaining players don't even matter because the leads don't even know them. There is ONE death out of twenty-something which feels like it matters. ONE. In Battle Royale, every single person matters. However, I accept that after seeing Battle Royale, which explores so many possible outcomes for a player, there aren't many surprises which Hunger Games can pull. You know which twists and turns to expect because somebody else has already thought of all of them! And there are some choices in Battle Royale which a PG-13 movie like Hunger Games just can't get away with. In other words, watch Battle Royale. Or read the book/manga. It's incredible.

So in conclusion, The Hunger Games is a flawed but hugely enjoyable and very well put together film which deserves to be seen if not celebrated. I like it in the same way I like the Harry Potter films; part of the fun is whinging about what they left out or didn't have time to explain properly, which results in the most contrived and convenient free-for-all imaginable. I'm looking forward to the sequels though, and hopefully over the summer I'll be able to make time to read the whole trilogy. Hopefully the problems I listed will seem less egregious once I've read them!
    Last edited by ChaosMage; 23rd April 2012 at 8:04 AM.

Run, Lola, Run.

It's pretty fantastic.
    Black FC: 5028 7872 0522 (Travis)

My shiny pokemon:

The Bourne Identity.

I really liked it. I thought the beginning was a tiny bit rushed, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage View Post
    Last night I finally watched The Hunger Games. I've heard so much praise and I know the books have a massive fanbase, and I've been intending to read them for a while but I haven't got around to it (balancing a massive reading list for uni with a part-time job which has effectively become full-time for the last few weeks has made this tricky) so in the end I wound up seeing the first film on my night off before getting the chance to read the book. So, knowing what adaptations are like, I presume the book explains the elaborate premise in far more detail than the film does. As a total novice, there were times when I kept thinking "well, isn't that convenient?", when they probably had more of a buildup in the book, and that you learn more about the protagonist's thought processes (this is an inevitable side effect of adaptation to visual media).

That said, I really enjoyed the performances; there wasn't a single person who didn't put their all into this. Elizabeth Banks is a gem, and it's great to see her innate comic ability in a darker piece, and you can't go wrong with Woody Harrelson, one of the best character actors around. Stanley Tucci is also a stand-out, and his scenes managed to break up the monotony which occasionally seeped in. But the best "adult" performance was easily by Donald Sutherland, who is an underrated old-school treasure and deserves the exposure to a new generation which this role as President Snow can bring him. I read that he had two scenes added in for him because his theories on the character's motivations were so interesting and detailed, and his scenes were incredible. But the real star is Jennifer Lawrence, who continues to show that she's one of the best young actresses around; Catniss is a demanding role and she embodies it completely; although her inner monologue is gone, something which can be a major hindrance to actors playing protagonists, she acts the hell out of it. Once I've read the book, she'll be the part I rewatch for, to see just how good she is.

Now, from all that it might seem like I loved this movie. But, as well acted as it was, I really didn't. When I left the cinema I didn't feel like I'd seen a great movie or an instant classic, rather that I'd seen a decent blockbuster. I'm going to reserve judgment until I've read the book, but the film (without spoiling anything) had me thinking "and that just happened... for some reason" way too often. It felt too fantastical at times, being set several hundred years into a very odd future in a world too detached from our own, and that prevents the "is this what we'll become?" question from being as apt as it should be. My other major grievances are that the ending is WAY too convenient (with each new announcement, I cringed because the resolutions were just too neat), the players of the game (except for three... out of twenty-four) have nowhere near enough development for their deaths to matter, and the first hour seems to all be about getting sponsors, while I don't see what impact this has on the actual game once they get there.

Finally, and knowing that this review has dragged on, I've got to talk about the whole Battle Royale thing. This is NOT a rip-off of Battle Royale, it just has a similar basic premise based on the same ancient idea. There are things which Hunger Games does more effectively, and there are things which Battle Royale does more effectively. The biggest difference is that the game itself in Battle Royale is more visceral and unpredictable, and more grounded in reality. In Battle Royale, only two characters (out of forty) are really playing the game to win, and anyone who doesn't die at their hands dies as a direct result of their own paranoia and desperation. Even the characters who get a single scene are developed just enough to give a sense of who they were, and we learn their established relationships as the story progresses. In Hunger Games there are several characters who we're just told to buy as killing machines, and then half of the remaining players don't even matter because the leads don't even know them. There is ONE death out of twenty-something which feels like it matters. ONE. In Battle Royale, every single person matters. However, I accept that after seeing Battle Royale, which explores so many possible outcomes for a player, there aren't many surprises which Hunger Games can pull. You know which twists and turns to expect because somebody else has already thought of all of them! And there are some choices in Battle Royale which a PG-13 movie like Hunger Games just can't get away with. In other words, watch Battle Royale. Or read the book/manga. It's incredible.

So in conclusion, The Hunger Games is a flawed but hugely enjoyable and very well put together film which deserves to be seen if not celebrated. I like it in the same way I like the Harry Potter films; part of the fun is whinging about what they left out or didn't have time to explain properly, which results in the most contrived and convenient free-for-all imaginable. I'm looking forward to the sequels though, and hopefully over the summer I'll be able to make time to read the whole trilogy. Hopefully the problems I listed will seem less egregious once I've read them!

Wow, big summary but definitely not a case of "tl;dr", you brought up a lot of good points. Like you, I'm planning to read the books before securing a judgement of the film, since I went into the cinema with minimal knowledge of the plot and minimal expectations as a result.

The other night my university housemates and I watched Beauty and the Beast. I've seen it before, but before I was old enough to be critical. I still like the story, and the songs are lovely in the context of the movie, even though I wouldn't seek them out to listen to independently. But it still irks me that in common Disney style, the Beast transforms into a beautiful young man and therefore the moral "beauty lies within" is quietly spoiled. I understand that the movie-makers may not want to advocate bestiality to children, but they could have made the human prince a little bit aesthetically unappealing. Next time I'll just steal away and watch Edward Scissorhands and Phantom of the Opera instead.

A Perfect Murder.
    It was okay, so okay that I couldn't stop watching it 'till the end xD

Just watched Titanic 3D and am SO hyped about the Avengers, not long now!

Trespass

Pretty exciting stuff, considering most of the movie happens only in the house the protags live in.
    The artist previously known as Dark_Petal.

My face when this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    What a travesty

That was one of my favorite guys

I tried to watch The Muppets Take Manhattan, but I only got half-way through the movie before I gave up.

It's not that bad a movie, but it just didn't feel like the Muppets. At least with The Great Muppet Caper, within the first five seconds of the movie, I knew the Muppet spirit was there. In here... ehh... they want to go on Broadway with their college performance, and I didn't really see any fourth-wall jokes like those in Muppet Caper. And then the group splits up (which made me think of the 2011 movie). I'm sure it got better as the movie went on into the second-half, but it wasn't keeping my interest very well. I may try again later.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Ultimate Avengers 2.

Good movie...i don't know where it fits in with anything in marvel.

To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe
    To bear with unbearable sorrow. To run where the brave dare not go.
    To try when your arms are too weary. To reach the unreachable star!
    This is my quest! To follow that Star! No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
    To fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause!
    And The world will be better for this, that one man, scorned and covered with scars still strove to his last ounce of courage.
    To reach, that unreachable star!
    I have claimed Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Just watched J. Edgar yesterday. Fantastic movie, especially the makeup. If you didn't know that Leonardo di Caprio was the star of it, you would never have guessed that it was him as the older J. Edgar Hoover.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

The last move I saw was the Hunger Games and it was an okey movie. There are other movies that is better then the Hunger Games but that's just me.
    I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

Hey, Twinkie! >D

My Heart Gold Team

I am now a brony. This makes me 20% cooler.

My Pearl Team

Quote Originally Posted by DMerle View Post
    Just watched Titanic 3D and am SO hyped about the Avengers, not long now!
    I'm curious, what parts did the director put into 3D? I'm debating wether I should see it again, and that would probably help lol

An Ancient Treasure, a Terrible Price. Take the Risk, Eat the World
    (Final Chapter added 05-15-2014)

-Thanks to PopPrincess_Lyra for the amazing banner-

Hancock. The first half was very good, then it turned lame.
    Currently going through the 5 main regions.
    Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraIsAwesome View Post
    -ARE SKYLA, ELESA, and CYNTHIA STILL YOUNG AND SEXY??!

Batman Begins. An interesting movie as always xD

the last movie I watch is the 3d Titanic , It is so moving though watch the 2d Titanic mang years ago . But the 3d Titanic is different ,maybe just because I am old enough to understand the real meaning of love .

Went and saw the Hunger Games recently. Didn't read the book, but I thought the movie was very well done. I thought the handheld camera style worked well with it, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. Although, it didn't set the sequel up very well.
    Deadmau5 / YouTube / Shiny Toy Guns

21 Jump Street

Hilarious. I need to see this movie again. Definitely buying when it comes to DVD. I give it a 10/10.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

The Lucky One

It was fun to make moaning sounds when the woman watched the guy as she washed the dishes. I also started staring at the wall and the people behind me when they were getting...intimate...

Spoiler:- Credits:

I have claimed Chance by UVERworld!

Page 45 of 174 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast