Page 28 of 174 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast

Thread: The last movie you saw

saw princess mononoke a couple of weeks ago. i liked the animation, soundtrack, etc but the plot/setting and the voice acting i couldnt deal with. also the characters seemed more like caricatures than actual people and their motives seemed dubious. i actually got so annoyed an hour in that i couldnt wait for it to end. i dont suppose its the films fault though; a lot of its glory was probably lost in translation. i guess youd have to be japanese/weeaboo and be 'in tune' with japanese culture to fully appreciate it. still, i was expecting to be blown away by my first miyazaki film and was disappointed. OH WELL. hope spirited away will be better.

last few

Red Dawn the other night
    I'm in two minds really. I don't hate it, but it's far from a classic. I couldn't escape the feeling of a very hastily written plot being squeezed around a few pretty cool action scenes. Certainly the first 20 minutes or so seemed to move really fast, with little explanation of who everyone was and what was going on. Like when the two brothers are talking to their dad, my sister turned and asked where they brother's, and I was wondering the same thing as I didn't feel it was made clear. I also feel that the foreign army/armies were a bit rubbish, especially the first time the fighting occurs at the school. They're an army for christs sake, how did they not destroy everything/everyone in that school? Let alone let someone get in a jeep, pick up a few people and drive off.
    But I feel it got better as it went on, even if I did feel I didn't know what was going on at times, like they'd just shoved a few scenes together. But despite it's flaws I still enjoyed it.

then a few night before that I saw The Complete Novel version of The Outsiders. I can't understand why they cut so much out originally, there's apparently 22 additional minutes, and there's a second disc with even more deleted scenes. I can also see where Rob Lowe was coming form in his auto biography when he was saying how disappointed he was when he first saw it, and wasn't invited to the premier. It seemed like every new scene (or rather every scene cut originally) had him talking in it.
    It makes a lot more sense to me with the additional footage too, which is further puzzling as to why it was removed. The music seems more fitting this time around also.
    I'd go as far as to say significantly better than the original.

week or so before that I saw I Melt With You.
    I felt that whilst the story itself seemed at times a bit thrown together, I still very much enjoyed it. I thought the cinematography was fantastic, some great locations used, a fantastic soundtrack, it had a nice mood throughout, and though the characters may not be the most well written, they were all well acted, and all gave great performances, without giving too much away I felt at times they convayed a sense of uncertainty about the situation but also a feeling of not quite being with it when high. It seems to get a lot of bad reviews, some for glamorising drugs, and some for glamorising suicide (bit of a spoiler there.) But I feel that it doesn't glamorise it, I think from the start it's clear that what they are doing is bad, and it's taking it's toll on them.
        Spoiler:- a bit of a spoiler I guess:

I think it's well worth a watch if it ever gets a proper release. (I seem to have gotten a Greek version with all the cover/menu in greek, but the film in english, but I've not seen it available anywhere else). If not for the story, for the way it's shot, the scenery, music, and mood as I mentioned. It's been a while since I enjoyed a film this much, even though I will admit it's not completely without faults.

and then a few days before that I saw War Games.
    I was surprised to see a few people I recognised in Ally Sheedy and John Spencer. I already knew Barry Corbin and Matthew Broderik were in it before hand. I partly watched it on the pseudo-recommendation of it by Mark Schwahn on the commentary for the Pilot episode of One Tree Hill, but partly cause it looked interesting.
    I think in some respects it seems a bit dated in terms of the technology, and I imagine at the time the whole USA/Soviet Union thing would have seemed a lot more of a legitimate threat what with the cold war and stuff, but despite all that I still felt it was a good film and I think it can be appreciated as an 'of it's time' film, but I think it can just generally be appreciated as a good, if not somewhat far-fetched at times film.
    Also I surprisingly found Ally Sheedy rather attractive in this one which at first I thought was worrying as she said she was 17 in it, but the film came out in 83, so probably filmed in 82 when she was 20 so I'm a little more comfortable with myself now

Judgment at Nuremburg -- 8/10

Just saw this film recently and it really made me think. It's a movie that takes place a few years after WWII ended, and people who were involved with the Nazis are being round up for trial. Spencer Tracy plays Chief Judge Dan Haywood, an American judge on a tribunal who helps to try the accused.

Burt Lancaster plays Dr. Ernst Janning, one of the accused. What Judge Dan Haywood goes through in terms of finding out what went on during the war causes him to think things over, since things weren't black and white. Dr. Janning lets people know this during the trial, along with the other accused.

By the end of the trial, the Judge's mind is made up and he makes his decision... what it is though, is for you to find out once you see the film. I don't want to give it away. It is that good of a movie. A dark and somber one, but still one that is worth watching after all these years.

As for the acting, everyone did a great job, keeping the atmosphere tense and moving at the same time. It most certainly earned the Oscars that it did win and those who were nominated and didn't win one, still earned every one of their nominations.

It's a film that's still relevant to this day.

Die Hard -- 8/10

Been wanting to see this one for quite some time now, and it was worth the watch.

Bruce Willis plays Officer John Mcclaine, a New York police officer who goes to Los Angeles to visit his ex-wife and kids for Christmas. He ends up meeting his ex-wife at the yearly Christmas party, and that's when things go sideways O_O. A group of terrorists, led by Alan Rickman's character, Hans Gruber, have their eyes on something that the Nakumora Plaza building contains, something that his ex-wife's boss doesn't want him to have.

So now things are that much more complicated for Officer Mcclaine. Now he's in one heck of a situation that he didn't plan on getting into.

I'd continue onward, but I'd hate to give anything more away... it's more fun to see than it is to talk about .

As for the acting, everyone did a fine job in their roles, but two people really stood out to me (and no, one of them wasn't Bruce Willis -- yes he did a good job, but these two really stayed with me), Alan Rickman did a splendid job as Hans, and he did a kick butt impression of an American accent... and his dry humor cracked me up at times, he was a great foil to Willis's character, John Mcclaine; and Reginald Veljohnson did a wonderful job as Sargent Al Powell, who at first glance appears to be just another inept cop, but at the end of the day really surprised me as a character.

You'll have to watch until the end to see more of what surprised me from Sgt. Powell though... since if I said much more it would give it away.

Overall, this movie was a surprise to me and I'm glad I took the time to watch it.
    Last edited by WishIhadaManafi5; 11th February 2012 at 8:16 PM.
    Looking forward to the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Will be training up the shiny Abra I have that's named Robin in honor of you. May you R.I.P.

Shrek Forever After. Mom was watching it on television and I watched it as I waited for dinner. It had it's funny parts, but it was basically a rehash of the previous 3 movies.

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/2gvkkd4.jpg[/IMG]
    snarky hipster tennis boys
    claimscreditstumblr
    fukubuchou

Rango, great movie. great music too.

Bridesmates

I was forced to and hated it

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

I've just watched That was then...This is Now.
    I quite enjoyed it, I thought it was more dark and gritty compared to some of the other coming of age films around the time. I thought there was a good cast, Emilio Estevez, Morgan Freeman and Criag Sheffer in particular. I thought they all played their parts well, and that you could feel the friendship, and then the descent into tension between them.
    However reading reviews, it appears ignorance is bliss. People seem to suggest it's a massive change from the book, (which I haven't read), and they changed the time period, and as such got rid of characters such as Ponyboy from the outsiders who was originally in it, (something to do with the fact he wouldn't be the age he needed to be cause they've brought it forwards however many years).
    But, given I've not read the book, I feel I can judge it on it's own merit, and as such I like it. Not a classic as such, but I feel it certainly deserves to be bigger than it seemingly is.

We got to watch Remember the Titans today at school. It was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitу View Post
    I saw A Bug's Life again! That film never ceases to be amazing! It's around 14 years old now I think.
    I would agree, I have some great memories from that movie. Sigh...I wish I was back in high school....

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

I watched Black Swan with a friend again....yup.

I watched Just Married before. Not my favourite movie ever.

I saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban yesterday. It's awesome!

I rewatched Cast Away a few days ago. Tom Hanks is pretty stellar. The sound design in the movie is pretty nifty too. I love that there is absolutely no music or added sounds while he's on the island, it's a nice touch artistically speaking.

WaTER FOR ELEPHANTS

What a boring waste of time and money…….

Parent Trap because it's on T.V.

A beautifull mind, a few days ago.
    It is a very nice movie actually (:
    If I'm dodging I won't let him cut me...if I'm protecting someone I wont let her die....and if I'm attacking...I WILL KILL YOU!!!!

Pokemon White- Vinciti and Zekrom. Very good movie by the way. I need to watch all the Pokmon movies before I do my rankings of my favorites, but I would say this is somewhere in the middle. I found it more enjoyable than some of the Sinnoh movies, but it doesn't compare to the first 3 or 4 movies in my opinion.

I saw the Grey

Last night I watched Nick And Noras Infinite Playlist, I love that movie.

Last night I watched 'Dream House'. Appareantly it is a 'Psychological Thriller'. It was really twisted. I would recommend it to anyone!

Currently writing: The Missing Link!
    Chapters posted: 8
    Please read and review. I'll be eternally grateful.

Rambo was on last night so i watched that.

The Haunting in Connecticut and The Amityville Horror (newer)

I can't get enough of those 2 movies.

the parent trap, just like floatzel
    Black 2 FC: 0047 0978 3613

Credit to Astral Shadow

Check out my new RPG and join it:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Serpent-PG-13

My ex took me to see Safe House. Honestly, I was unimpressed and it left far too many questions. The plot was confusing as well.

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/2gvkkd4.jpg[/IMG]
    snarky hipster tennis boys
    claimscreditstumblr
    fukubuchou

Page 28 of 174 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast