Page 133 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 4308

Thread: The Official Advice Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    iFi Salamander's argument is pretty much "I act like a complete dickweasel and no on wants to date me, therefore platonic relationships don't exist. Men who respect women are obviously gay or asexual; no exceptions."
    I tried the whole respect thing, it left me single and hurting. At least now I am single and indifferent.

I am actually basing most of this more on my friend Stevie, who fawned over the same girl for years and the moment her his feelings they slowly stopped hanging out and now are just bitter to each other and not friends anymore.

I just can't fathom one good reason why a guy would say no. It is like if there is money on the ground and you need money and you say no. What purpose could that possibly serve besides self fulfilling altruism? It is almost like you want to say "Hey I respect women, therefore I am better than other people" until you realize nobody cares really and it isn't going to make you any less single or have any more of a chance than anyone else of changing that.

However now that I think about it, it's not like any man would ever admit they started talking to a girl because they were attracted or had a desire to eventually get with them, in the same regards no girl would ever admit that they don't actually want a nice gentlemen, but they want money. It is our societal obligation to dodge around that fact or we look like toolbags.

"Credulous at best your desire to believe in angels of the hearts of men." Tool
    Last edited by iFi Salamander; 19th January 2013 at 6:47 AM.

Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!

Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    I tried the whole respect thing, it left me single and hurting. At least now I am single and indifferent.

I am actually basing most of this more on my friend Stevie, who fawned over the same girl for years and the moment her his feelings they slowly stopped hanging out and now are just bitter to each other and not friends anymore.

I just can't fathom one good reason why a guy would say no. It is like if there is money on the ground and you need money and you say no. What purpose could that possibly serve besides self fulfilling altruism? It is almost like you want to say "Hey I respect women, therefore I am better than other people" until you realize nobody cares really and it isn't going to make you any less single or have any more of a chance than anyone else of changing that.

However now that I think about it, it's not like any man would ever admit they started talking to a girl because they were attracted or had a desire to eventually get with them, in the same regards no girl would ever admit that they don't actually want a nice gentlemen, but they want money. It is our societal obligation to dodge around that fact or we look like toolbags.

You could have just shortened this by saying you're a bitter human being.

So this is my second semester of college and I find that often times I have a 2-3 hour break during the day. Because I commute 20+ minutes each way I cannot go home during this and I am therefore forced to find other forms of entertainment which is why I have decided to either get a PS Vita (found some games that interest me on this system) or a cheap laptop. And when I say cheap I mean under $300. So, any advice on which I should get?
    The Fros arbok in town!

You could have just shortened this by saying you're a bitter human being.
    I think I am just an autistic human being and project my own lack of capacity for genuine human feelings for another person into my worldly views as an anecdote.

I truly don't believe anyone cares about anyone else. It seems like the world is apathetic to your problems until you die or get hurt and all of a sudden it is as if you suddenly matter, that in itself is empirical.

Now don't get me wrong I think we have some compassion in our blood, but I think it is mostly learned and still can't ride past the fact we all subconsciously manipulate and say things in our day to day lives to fit our own desires.

Quote Originally Posted by FroTW View Post
    So this is my second semester of college and I find that often times I have a 2-3 hour break during the day. Because I commute 20+ minutes each way I cannot go home during this and I am therefore forced to find other forms of entertainment which is why I have decided to either get a PS Vita (found some games that interest me on this system) or a cheap laptop. And when I say cheap I mean under $300. So, any advice on which I should get?
    i used to have a day at university where my tutorial would run from 10am - 12pm and my lecture was 5pm - 7pm and my commute was 70-90 minutes. i usually took my laptop and just watched movies/tv shows. i'd just go the laptop and if you want games run a n64 emulator or something (or get a few low-intensity steam games like binding of isaac)
    Last edited by THRILLHO; 19th January 2013 at 6:59 AM.
    i don't want to live through winter
    i can't stand to see everything ending

I think I am just an autistic human being and project my own lack of capacity for genuine human feelings for another person into my worldly views as an anecdote.

I truly don't believe anyone cares about anyone else. It seems like the world is apathetic to your problems until you die or get hurt and all of a sudden it is as if you suddenly matter, that in itself is empirical.

Now don't get me wrong I think we have some compassion in our blood, but I think it is mostly learned and still can't ride past the fact we all subconsciously manipulate and say things in our day to day lives to fit our own desires.
    Just because you have the emotional understanding of a door knob doesn't mean the rest of us do. You can continue to by a bitter misogynist all you want, but that doesn't make your argument more compelling. If anything, it makes it less believable.

Just because you have the emotional understanding of a door knob doesn't mean the rest of us do. You can continue to by a bitter misogynist all you want, but that doesn't make your argument more compelling. If anything, it makes it less believable.
    I don't hate humanity though, but I know we aren't good natured without brainwashing.

Think about this: Animals in the wild hunt and kill each other to survive. They are born with instincts and mistrust because that is how their eco-system works. Why would humans be any different? If we weren't taught as children to care about others, and lived in a feral state wouldn't we too be the same?

The difference is our intelligence has built a sense of conscience. We are above finding it practical to hurt each other, but yet at end of the day we are still omnivores at the top of the food chain.

This is why I say compassionate isn't innate, it is a trait we learned through intelligent design. However our mammal instincts are innate, so even though we appear altruistic, with complete anarchy we would let our own self interest run wild.

Tell me more about your pseudo-psychological theories.

I tried the whole respect thing, it left me single and hurting.
    This is the answer to your question.

Instead of dealing with your hurt past, you want to project your psychological pain on others... like myself.

Yes, it is I who is impotent or gay. It is not you who is simply jealous and needy of sex.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by FroTW View Post
    My recommendation would be to try and socialize, but barring that I suggest getting something with good battery life, you don't want to be a slave to the electircal outlets. Also are looking for something to pass the time or do you want a serious game machine ? If it's just for general entertainment, a laptop with good battery life should suffice. If it's for playing new big budget games, go for the Vita, a cheap laptop might now be able to play what you want.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

If you feel hurt by someone else's actions, discuss it. Don't try to deal with it by yourself if that isn't something you are able to do. Because this, pretending to be indifferent to love, isn't dealing with it and it definitely isn't healthy.

Oh my, yes, and I'm sure that your bestie Stevie represents the majority of us all. One incident can't be cited as unfaltering evidence.

I'm not sure I read this last part correctly.
    You believe that having respect for the gender [the first thing most people notice about someone] of the person that you are chasing holds no significance as to whether or not they will accept you as a mate? Gender is a pretty big thing.

Unless the lady that you desire is bathing in such a pool of self loathing that she doesn't mind your disrespect of her very reproductive and hormonal systems...odds are, she isn't going to take much to you.

It's not a question of whether or not ulterior motives play into first-meetings, it's what comes after that.
    Unless you are really fishing for some commitment, you probably do have your own reason for that initial conversation with someone. You're lonely, you think they're hot stuff, you want to be coddled, you have something to prove.
    But once you've actually spoken with them, what happens next does not have to be based on anything but affection or fascination, not money or desire or revenge.
    If you're interested and they are as well, pursue it. If not, you tried for whatever selfish reason you had and got nothing. It happens.
    That's no reason to say that love is only based off of one thing, whatever you think that reason is.

You just...quoted a song by Tool to support, and as the finisher of, your argument? Don't you think that may make you seem like, pardon me, a tool?
    ---

Now, for my actual question.
    I've been considering getting a tablet, perhaps a Kindle Fire or an iPad. Any experience and suggestions with tablets? :)

Oh my, yes, and I'm sure that your bestie Stevie represents the majority of us all. One incident can't be cited as unfaltering evidence.
    I think I was just desperately trying to support that joke of a satirical theory because of my borderline sexism. Not that it is surprising I don't like women after what I've been through. I pretty much never give them the benefit of the doubt.

That was more to stop people from saying it was about me only.

Unless the lady that you desire is bathing in such a pool of self loathing that she doesn't mind your disrespect of her very reproductive and hormonal systems...odds are, she isn't going to take much to you.
    Well I definitely don't seem to go after highly confident women, that is for sure. Because of my narcissism, I just get threatened by them and by nature rip them apart. I am incredibly territorial.

It's not a question of whether or not ulterior motives play into first-meetings, it's what comes after that.
    Unless you are really fishing for some commitment, you probably do have your own reason for that initial conversation with someone. You're lonely, you think they're hot stuff, you want to be coddled, you have something to prove.
    But once you've actually spoken with them, what happens next does not have to be based on anything but affection or fascination, not money or desire or revenge.
    If you're interested and they are as well, pursue it. If not, you tried for whatever selfish reason you had and got nothing. It happens.
    That's no reason to say that love is only based off of one thing, whatever you think that reason is.
    I can agree with this, mostly because you seem to under the whole "hook line and sinker" part.

You just...quoted a song by Tool to support, and as the finisher of, your argument? Don't you think that may make you seem like, pardon me, a tool?
    It is a funny coincidence, but no, that isn't really relevant. I just happen to love progressive rock/metal.

Now, for my actual question.
    I've been considering getting a tablet, perhaps a Kindle Fire or an iPad. Any experience and suggestions with tablets?
    Well I got an iPad for Christmas, typing this on it right now. Don't buy one unless you know what you're going to use it for. Because I don't have school right now, it's kinda just a giant iPhone. It's spent several days just sitting in my draw. But it's always fun to play games on, convenient size for Internet browsing too :3
    Black 2 FC - 2237 5230 0474

That isn't borderline sexism. That is outright sexism. And it IS just about you. You're not making any statement about even average guys at this point.
    Credit to Nuit

Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

I think I was just desperately trying to support that joke of a satirical theory because of my borderline sexism. Not that it is surprising I don't like women after what I've been through. I pretty much never give them the benefit of the doubt.
    No I kinda... feel for you. But maybe it's because most of the people I hang with in RL are kinda like you in a way. And then sometimes, I wish I could just accept that I have my own borderline prejudice as well. Kudos for admitting it.
    岩根雅明=♡

I don't think being hurt is an excuse to treat others poorly. At least, not for an extended period of time.
    I was in an (emotionally; I got out before it could get physical) abusive relationship and it messed me up for a while. I never took it out on other people, though. I never treated men like monsters just because a few of them have been in the past. You can't judge half the world's population on the actions of a relatively small handful of people. Well, I suppose you can if you choose to, but it's not an accurate judgement.

Well I definitely don't seem to go after highly confident women, that is for sure. Because of my narcissism, I just get threatened by them and by nature rip them apart. I am incredibly territorial.
    This is straight-up abusive and I hope you work out your serious psychological issues before considering getting into another relationship because no woman deserves to go through that.

I was in an (emotionally; I got out before it could get physical) abusive relationship and it messed me up for a while. I never took it out on other people, though. I never treated men like monsters just because a few of them have been in the past. You can't judge half the world's population on the actions of a relatively small handful of people. Well, I suppose you can if you choose to, but it's not an accurate judgement.
    I probably had a purpose for it, but now it has become pure second nature and mild enjoyment.

This is straight-up abusive and I hope you work out your serious psychological issues before considering getting into another relationship because no woman deserves to go through that.
    I don't see how because it isn't like I explicitly hurt them.

However if isn't like I'd ever change myself for any relationship anyways.
    I'd rather hire a hooker till the day I die to free myself from such annoyances.
    If it is my destiny to die alone then oh well.

Do you even want a relationship anymore? Sheesh. It's like your life is no more than a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"Girls have treated me like ****."

"So, I'm going to act shitty to have a reason for them to continue acting shitty towards me; thus, I feel justified in acting shitty."
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    Do you even want a relationship anymore? Sheesh. It's like your life is no more than a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Actually no, because I have too many other plans to let any girls get in the way.

them pesky females always runing our things, right fellas??
    i don't want to live through winter
    i can't stand to see everything ending

You can always have a loved one and make your plans succeed, might be more difficult but there is always a way : )

As for entertainment during your class break try this link: http://handheld-game-console-review.toptenreviews.com/ It breaks down some of the categories, but in general would go for the laptop, nothing beats watching youtube or a movie during lunch breaks in the student union or dorms. Good luck with your classes : )

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    My recommendation would be to try and socialize, but barring that I suggest getting something with good battery life, you don't want to be a slave to the electircal outlets. Also are looking for something to pass the time or do you want a serious game machine ? If it's just for general entertainment, a laptop with good battery life should suffice. If it's for playing new big budget games, go for the Vita, a cheap laptop might now be able to play what you want.
    I would definitely put an emphasis on socializing. Make connections you know? Find a club or organization to be a part of. If not, then yeah, a laptop would be a better choice.

Ok, this is a bit complicated.

So, I have been mistaken for not knowing any English every time I write. People who review them, some, would give up on the middle of my story every time. I am born in America and English is my first language. Everytime I try to improve in description simply, it makes readers confused.

Now, why should I continue writing if my grammar is off? It makes me feel bad a bit as I try my hardest and yet people still say it. But despite me trying to take their advice, how should I improve my grammar? I am a second year writer on the Internet as I try to work on it by myself.

I like to write just to convey my imaginations. I am inspired by many things as I try to create my own fan fics of different things consisting of that.
    Last edited by Quilava42; 24th January 2013 at 3:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post

So, I have been mistaken for not knowing any English every time I write. People who review them, some, would give up on the middle of my story every time. I am born in America and English is my first language. Everytime I try to improve in description simply, it makes readers confused.

Now, why should I continue writing if my grammar is off? It makes me feel bad a bit as I try my hardest and yet people still say it.
    Why you should continue? Well, if you enjoy writing, that should be enough to continue. You write because you want to, not because others want you to.

But despite me trying to take their advice, how should I improve my grammar? I am a second year writer on the Internet as I try to work on it by myself.
    Well, if you want to improve on writing fanfiction, keep practicing, keep working and don't give up. By writing more and more, you'll gradually improve. When I started writing, I thought I'd never improve, but I kept on working and made some significant improvement. I'm still not satisfied, but there's significant improvement: both my description and grammar improved (and English is not my first language). Just writing and not giving up is the most important thing when you want to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post

Now, why should I continue writing if my grammar is off? It makes me feel bad a bit as I try my hardest and yet people still say it. But despite me trying to take their advice, how should I improve my grammar? I am a second year writer on the Internet as I try to work on it by myself.

I like to write just to convey my imaginations. I am inspired by many things as I try to create my own fan fics of different things consisting of that.
    Just from reading your post, you do have awkward ways of phrasing things, I really wouldn't say it is grammatically incorrect though. Most grammar problems can be overcome if you just use word to fix the minor things, with the exceptions of commas and some spelling.

Page 133 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143 ... LastLast