Page 164 of 173 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 4314

Thread: The Official Advice Thread

Man, I've been coming here a lot.
    So, this time though [to try and keep it short anyway]: One of my bud's birthdays is coming up next weekend. I don't appear to be as close to him as some of his other friends, but lately he's become [at least in my eyes] a pretty good friend of mine, and I think he deserves something, I dunno. But I really have no idea what to give him: I know a good amount of the stuff he likes, but I couldn't think of anything in time that wouldn't really seem tacky or childish to give him, even if he would like it. I'm not sure if there's anything else I could buy for him in time that'd make it here in time, so all I can really think of is a prepaid Visa card or something (which I'm sure he'd still appreciate).
    Not sure if that sounds like a good idea or not, but... how would I present it? Him, me, and a bunch of friends have our club the day before his birthday at school so we're planning to do a little something for him, and I'd figure since he hasn't mentioned anything about doing anything at his house, I'd give him it there. It is true, I do kinda like him a bit, so I can't really say I want to present the gift in a way that'd "give people the wrong idea" ; after all, that's basically almost how I feel. But, even if it is just a giftcard, I don't want to present it in a way that would probably give him or people hints? (I don't think it's the right time to approach him about that yet.) I kinda don't want to get him a formal card either since that might seem, well, too forma [or give off hints] so unless I make a silly one myself or something [which he'd be the kind of person to probably be okay with it], I dunno what to do to.

tl;dr : Friend's birthday next weekend, need to give him present [giftcard?] in school ; want to present it in a way that shows I cared and didn't just pick this because I was lazy, but not in a way that gives off any hints.

Forgive me for the wall of text, and if that didn't make sense.
    Take it easy
    "See you next summer..."
    (S2 is now!)
    I'm looking for an old piece of art I requested on here years ago and lost. It was a brown-haired girl with a pink wristband riding a Torterra. If you think you have this picture saved or have seen it somewhere please let me know and send it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Master View Post
    Man, I've been coming here a lot.
    So, this time though [to try and keep it short anyway]: One of my bud's birthdays is coming up next weekend. I don't appear to be as close to him as some of his other friends, but lately he's become [at least in my eyes] a pretty good friend of mine, and I think he deserves something, I dunno. But I really have no idea what to give him: I know a good amount of the stuff he likes, but I couldn't think of anything in time that wouldn't really seem tacky or childish to give him, even if he would like it. I'm not sure if there's anything else I could buy for him in time that'd make it here in time, so all I can really think of is a prepaid Visa card or something (which I'm sure he'd still appreciate).
    Not sure if that sounds like a good idea or not, but... how would I present it? Him, me, and a bunch of friends have our club the day before his birthday at school so we're planning to do a little something for him, and I'd figure since he hasn't mentioned anything about doing anything at his house, I'd give him it there. It is true, I do kinda like him a bit, so I can't really say I want to present the gift in a way that'd "give people the wrong idea" ; after all, that's basically almost how I feel. But, even if it is just a giftcard, I don't want to present it in a way that would probably give him or people hints? (I don't think it's the right time to approach him about that yet.) I kinda don't want to get him a formal card either since that might seem, well, too forma [or give off hints] so unless I make a silly one myself or something [which he'd be the kind of person to probably be okay with it], I dunno what to do to.

tl;dr : Friend's birthday next weekend, need to give him present [giftcard?] in school ; want to present it in a way that shows I cared and didn't just pick this because I was lazy, but not in a way that gives off any hints.

Forgive me for the wall of text, and if that didn't make sense.
    One thing I've learned recently regarding this kind of thing, is not to over-think it. If you think a giftcard's the best bet, then go with it, and just giving it at the gathering seems fair enough. The other person probably won't read as much into anything as you are thinking about it.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Just give him money. It's the best present you can give someone that you're not in a relationship with. Give it to them in an envelope.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Vernikova View Post
    Just give him money. It's the best present you can give someone that you're not in a relationship with. Give it to them in an envelope.
    However, money does seem quite like you don't know what to get them. I'd say a giftcard is a step up from that, to be honest. Although, as far as I can tell from my male friends, giving each other money is quite common, and doesn't necessarily mean you're not close - it's just a male way of doing things (at least for them).

Don't know, just throwing some more info/opinion out there.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    However, money does seem quite like you don't know what to get them. I'd say a giftcard is a step up from that, to be honest. Although, as far as I can tell from my male friends, giving each other money is quite common, and doesn't necessarily mean you're not close - it's just a male way of doing things (at least for them).

Don't know, just throwing some more info/opinion out there.
    I think money gives more flexibility than gift cards, and it's something I've seen both genders give to their friends. What if the guy gives them a bad gift card? Then it's useless. No one's ever been mad that they got free money after all.

^ In that case... would a prepaid Visa card be more akin to money or a giftcard? I mean, it is money, only he can use it online if he wanted, and it's more like finite a credit/debit card than straight up cash (only I have to pay an extra $3-ish of the amount to get it, but you get the idea).
    Does $25 sound like a good amount, or should I go for $50? I know $25 is technically not a lot and basically the minimum I can get of that kind of prepaid card, but I don't have a regular job [I babysit on the rare occasion sometimes]. And I'm not gonna give out my exact amount of money I own, but... let's just say it's less than $80 at the moment. I hate to sound greedy too, but I never know whether something is gonna come up [something important, or just something I want], and with no income it's kinda a tough choice for me.
    Take it easy
    "See you next summer..."
    (S2 is now!)
    I'm looking for an old piece of art I requested on here years ago and lost. It was a brown-haired girl with a pink wristband riding a Torterra. If you think you have this picture saved or have seen it somewhere please let me know and send it to me.

I've got a need for some low priority advice.

I like music and am hoping to write music and play live with others. I play guitar and bass and can play kyboards one handed. But I kind of don't have the financial security to invest in a (small) concert set up for playing live or even really practicing. Insturments are of low quality and I don't have anyway of getting the volume I need. So I am saving up money to get that. But the thing is I probably can't afford to get a setup for both guitar and bass in a short period of time.

This means I am going to have to prioritize which instrument I want to focus on. I am not particularly awesome at either instrument at the moment, so I am having a hard time choosing. I am mostly a rythym guitar player. I probably need to consider which insturment other people would want me to play in a band as well.

So any reasons why I should focus on one or the other?

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

If it comes down to guitar or bass and you're interested in being in a band I would say bass because good and dedicated bass players are few and far between. Everyone wants to be the star guitarrist. A good bassist without an unmanageable ego will always be in demand somewhere. Bass also takes less time to get decently good at than guitar, so you'll be able to play with others faster and get more experience. But ultimately it comes down to the instrument you most want to play; if you're going to play music do it the way you like.

^ In that case... would a prepaid Visa card be more akin to money or a giftcard? I mean, it is money, only he can use it online if he wanted, and it's more like finite a credit/debit card than straight up cash (only I have to pay an extra $3-ish of the amount to get it, but you get the idea).
    Does $25 sound like a good amount, or should I go for $50? I know $25 is technically not a lot and basically the minimum I can get of that kind of prepaid card, but I don't have a regular job [I babysit on the rare occasion sometimes]. And I'm not gonna give out my exact amount of money I own, but... let's just say it's less than $80 at the moment. I hate to sound greedy too, but I never know whether something is gonna come up [something important, or just something I want], and with no income it's kinda a tough choice for me.
    I suppose it would be better. Anyway, give them whatever you can afford ti give away. No need to make yourself broke over a birthday present.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    I've got a need for some low priority advice.

I like music and am hoping to write music and play live with others. I play guitar and bass and can play kyboards one handed. But I kind of don't have the financial security to invest in a (small) concert set up for playing live or even really practicing. Insturments are of low quality and I don't have anyway of getting the volume I need. So I am saving up money to get that. But the thing is I probably can't afford to get a setup for both guitar and bass in a short period of time.

This means I am going to have to prioritize which instrument I want to focus on. I am not particularly awesome at either instrument at the moment, so I am having a hard time choosing. I am mostly a rythym guitar player. I probably need to consider which insturment other people would want me to play in a band as well.

So any reasons why I should focus on one or the other?
    I would probably suggest the bass just due to the fact that there aren't as many bass players around. With guitar, there is quite a bit of competition, and while it's not impossible, it's easier to break through the mold with bass. Everybody wants to play guitar, but bass is an extremely important component of any band.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Yeah, I am thinking the less bass players thing is probably good reason to look towards getting a better bass as the higher priority.

Thanks for the advice.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

No idea if anyone knows anything about this, but I'm trying to help a really good friend of mine promote his Youtube channel, but I feel like I am doing a really bad job of it, since it isn't working very well. Anyone know what I can do to improve that?

Credit to FairyWitch for the banner

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    No idea if anyone knows anything about this, but I'm trying to help a really good friend of mine promote his Youtube channel, but I feel like I am doing a really bad job of it, since it isn't working very well. Anyone know what I can do to improve that?
    Which kind of Youtube videos does your friend make?That would help alot for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvijo View Post
    Which kind of Youtube videos does your friend make?That would help alot for suggestions.
    He does let's plays.

Uhm....at those time of Youtube, you really need original ideas for your let's plays. You may suggest your real life friends for taking a look at his channel first.
    If they like it, make them spread the word from friend to friend. There are no more ideas left on my hand, I am sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvijo View Post
    Uhm....at those time of Youtube, you really need original ideas for your let's plays. You may suggest your real life friends for taking a look at his channel first.
    If they like it, make them spread the word from friend to friend. There are no more ideas left on my hand, I am sorry.
    I've done that already actually. I've done that and put a link to his channel in my sig, but that second thing doesn't seem to be very effective.

I have a problem:

I recently picked up my first job working at a register at a park, but it will probably have me working most Saturdays. Now your probably wondering what's the big deal about Saturdays. Well I go to a Pokemon leauge each Saturday (and sadly I have lots of friends there and that's the only place where I actually get social interaction). I've only been there for about a year and I'd like to hang out with them as much as I can before I have to go to college. (Most of them don't have phones or internet)

What should I do? I've only got my schedule and I'm working next Saturday but I don't know about the rest.

Should I quit my job or should I keep it for a little while longer and see what happens?
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

Quote Originally Posted by Shayminslicker View Post
    I have a problem:

I recently picked up my first job working at a register at a park, but it will probably have me working most Saturdays. Now your probably wondering what's the big deal about Saturdays. Well I go to a Pokemon leauge each Saturday (and sadly I have lots of friends there and that's the only place where I actually get social interaction). I've only been there for about a year and I'd like to hang out with them as much as I can before I have to go to college. (Most of them don't have phones or internet)

What should I do? I've only got my schedule and I'm working next Saturday but I don't know about the rest.

Should I quit my job or should I keep it for a little while longer and see what happens?
    I'd say it depends on why you got the job in the first place. Are you saving up for something important? Do you really need the extra money? Where you live, is it that difficult to find a job?

Basically, I would look at how important you rate your job in comparison with your friendships. If you're not that fussed about the job then I'd quit - you'd probably be able to start working part-time once you're in college, anyway.

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by Shayminslicker View Post
    I have a problem:

Honestly, I'd ask if you can work on days other than Saturdays. If you don't have to work Saturdays you can see your friends and keep your job.

I've done that already actually. I've done that and put a link to his channel in my sig, but that second thing doesn't seem to be very effective.
    First of all, no one clicks random links in signatures. You have to attract the eye with something. Do you see advertising plastering "PLEASE BUY OUR PRODUCT. IT WOULD MEAN A LOT TO US"? No.

You should set your signature to be about the channel. What does your Darkrai tell me about the channel? Nothing. They're not even related. Your image doesn't even link to the channel! Rework that sig as an actual advertisement.

First of all, no one clicks random links in signatures. You have to attract the eye with something. Do you see advertising plastering "PLEASE BUY OUR PRODUCT. IT WOULD MEAN A LOT TO US"? No.

You should set your signature to be about the channel. What does your Darkrai tell me about the channel? Nothing. They're not even related. Your image doesn't even link to the channel! Rework that sig as an actual advertisement.
    I will see what I can do. I've had the Darkrai banner months before the youtube channel was even started, so they aren't related to each other. Again, not entirely sure what to do for the sig seeing as I don't know how to advertise.

I will see what I can do. I've had the Darkrai banner months before the youtube channel was even started, so they aren't related to each other. Again, not entirely sure what to do for the sig seeing as I don't know how to advertise.
    Get a funny signature. People really notice those.

Get a funny signature. People really notice those.
    I may just end up trying to find other ways of trying to do this. (yes, I have a bit of a defeatist attitude)

I am getting a black kitten she is super cute but I need suggestions on names can anyone help?

Fossil Fighters Forum - a nice group of people that will make you feel welcome
    sorry guys, going inactive for a while, no idea when I will be back.

When I got my turtle, I asked for suggestions and the one I picked was "Turtle." It was fitting and he seemed to like it. Thus, I suggest "Cat."

Page 164 of 173 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168 ... LastLast