Thread: Stand-Up Comedy

Default Stand-Up Comedy

As someone who works on the road and travels back-and-forth to my home on a weekly basis, listening to stand-up has been a staple pastime during my drives as many stand-up specials last an hour.

I'm creating this thread for a couple reasons:

-For comedy fans to discuss their favorite/least favorite comedians over the years and their material

-For comedy fans to suggest new comics to those of us interested in exploring more of that side of entertainment. Also, for me personally, suggestions on Spotify would be preferable.

To get this thing started, here is a short list of comedians I've really enjoyed listening to over the past few years.

Anthony Jeselnik (hands-down favorite)
    Louis CK
    Natasha Leggero
    Daniel Tosh (moreso his stand-up, not so much his show)
    Tommy Johnagin
    Beth Stelling
    Wyatt Cenac
    Hannibal Buress
    Sean Patton
    Amy Schumer
    Rory Scovel
    Demetri Martin
    Michael Ian Black
    Dan Cummins
    Andy Peters

Now, here's a shorter list of comics I didn't really enjoy upon listening to their material (for varying reasons).

Eugene Mirman
    Marc Maron
    Moshe Kasher
    Dane Cook
    Bill Burr

So, there ya go. Take that for what it's worth. Maybe you can decode a pattern. If you think you've understood my taste in comedy, share with me some new material. I'm all ears. Or if you just wanna talk comedy, that's cool, too.

Black Lives Matter

I'm really mixed on Louis CK. He has some really great material, then he has some stuff that just feels like ranting without any direction and doesn't come off as well.

One comic I love who unfortunately passed away is Mitch Hedberg. He wasn't the best presenter, but his thought process was really great.

Just Dance

I'm partial to comedian Chris Fleming.
    Your image was over the 40000 pixels so it was removed. Please read the signature rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjr View Post
    I'm really mixed on Louis CK. He has some really great material, then he has some stuff that just feels like ranting without any direction and doesn't come off as well.

One comic I love who unfortunately passed away is Mitch Hedberg. He wasn't the best presenter, but his thought process was really great.
    I can't believe I forgot to list Mitch Hedberg. He's been a favorite of mine since high school. RIP

I'd like to know some specific stuff on what you're talking about with Louis. I guess I appreciate his delivery enough to where I haven't noticed what you mean, but I'm open to discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by chinchourulz View Post
    I'm partial to comedian Chris Fleming.
    Never heard of him. I'll add him to the list and get back to you.

Black Lives Matter

I don't pull up stand-ups for a listen often enough, so I don't really have a lot of favorites or could tell you my favorite acts. I mean, I could, but I have to think long and hard about them to list them (John Mulaney's "Salt and Pepper Diner" is up there even though I never looked up the rest of his stand-ups). My firsts were Bill Cosby (despite what's come out, I still smile at his work), Emo Philips (probably a personal favorite at this point?), and Jeff Foxworthy. Tried to get into Jim Gaffigan, and I listened to some Jeff Dunham for a while, but outside of Achmed the Dead Terrorist (if only because that character reminds me of The Ded Bob Show from the Renaissance Festival), I was indifferent to his other acts. When I was in high school, my family discovered Tim Hawkins, a Christian comedian, and we just fell in love and laughed ourselves to tears. Got to see him live when he came to the Valley a few years ago, it was great.

In recent years, I've come to really appreciate Robin Williams, George Carlin, and some other cynical stand-ups I've come across. That style of humor cheers me up for some reason.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 31st October 2016 at 3:23 AM.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2015 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I don't pull up stand-ups for a listen often enough, so I don't really have a lot of favorites or could tell you my favorite acts. I mean, I could, but I have to think long and hard about them to list them (John Mulaney's "Salt and Pepper Diner" is up there even though I never looked up the rest of his stand-ups). My firsts were Bill Cosby (despite what's come out, I still smile at his work), Emo Philips (probably a personal favorite at this point?), and Jeff Foxworthy. Tried to get into Jim Gaffigan, and I listened to some Jeff Dunham for a while, but outside of Achmed the Dead Terrorist (if only because that character reminds me of The Ded Bob Show from the Renaissance Festival), I was indifferent to his other acts. When I was in high school, my family discovered Tim Hawkins, a Christian comedian, and we just fell in love and laughed ourselves to tears. Got to see him live when he came to the Valley a few years ago, it was great.

In recent years, I've come to really appreciate Robin Williams, George Carlin, and some other cynical stand-ups I've come across. That style of humor cheers me up for some reason.
    I can't believe I didn't list John Mulaney either! You guys are reminding me of some of my favorites.

I'm not a fan of Jeff Dunham or Jim Gaffigan. I think my big issue with the two of them is the multiple voices shtick. I get that Jeff has his puppets, but the constant voice-changing just gets on my nerves. Just my personal feelings on the thing.

Also, not big on Jeff Foxworthy or any of the BCCT outside of Ron White. I'm only familiar with Ron White's recent material (2005ish to present), but I'm to understand he was much more "redneck" in his earlier days on the tour.

I'll add Tim Hawkins to my list. While I'm not a Christian, I'm not opposed to appreciating the style as long as it's not preachy. That's why I'm not a fan of Eugene Mirman or Marc Maron (if you're familiar at all); their idea of comedy is "Hey, look at me. Look at what I did and how I'm better than everyone else."

Black Lives Matter