Thread: Sad Sepp's Divegrass thread now with 10% less corruption.

Default Sad Sepp's Divegrass thread now with 10% less corruption.

This is the new Futébol thread, let's discuss the recent happenings in the world of Football (Soccer).

All SPPF rules apply. (duh).

Also please be respectful of the clubs other people support, except for Liverpool. (lol jk)

Messi won his fifth Ballon d'or, do you guys and gals think that there is anyone currently playing that will ever surpass the same individual success at club level that Messi has had? I personally think Neymar has a good chance of emulating or even surpassing Messi's club success. I also think that Neymar should have won his first Ballon d'or, he played exceptionally well last season and carried much of the burden this season for Barcelona while Messi was injured. What do you guys think, should Messi have won it?

Also what did you guys think about the team of the year? Do you agree with it? Is there anyone who should have made the cut over someone else? I personally think Rakitic should have been included over Modric because he is, was, and still is the better player. Rakitic is criminally underrated. He was one of Barcelona's best last season and he is one of their best this season. But I understand he is overshadowed by Messi, Suarez, Neymar, and even Iniesta. Of course there are other players I think that didn't deserve to be in the team of the year but this post has already gotten a bit lengthy and I would like to see what others think.
    Last edited by Zorocario; 13th January 2016 at 6:06 PM.

My game got cancelled. Bad weather.. I'm pissy about it..

Oh wait, this is not about my amateur carreer in football?

Well, I guess I'll just state which leagues I'm following atm. Which are the Premier League, the Eredivisie and.. well.. sometimes the Serie A. I'm just not interested in the Spanish, Bundesliga or Ligue Un anymore. In total, there's pretty much six teams that rule supreme in those and it's not interesting. Bayern, Dortmund, Barça, Madrid, Atlético and PSG. I mean PSG is 19 points ahead already!

On the otherside, this years Premier League is odd. Upfront, I said I thought that Arsenal has a good chance of winning. The bloke I was speaking to pointed me towards Southampton and I just laughed. It's very interesting though.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    My game got cancelled. Bad weather.. I'm pissy about it..

Oh wait, this is not about my amateur carreer in football?

Well, I guess I'll just state which leagues I'm following atm. Which are the Premier League, the Eredivisie and.. well.. sometimes the Serie A. I'm just not interested in the Spanish, Bundesliga or Ligue Un anymore. In total, there's pretty much six teams that rule supreme in those and it's not interesting. Bayern, Dortmund, Barça, Madrid, Atlético and PSG. I mean PSG is 19 points ahead already!

On the otherside, this years Premier League is odd. Upfront, I said I thought that Arsenal has a good chance of winning. The bloke I was speaking to pointed me towards Southampton and I just laughed. It's very interesting though.
    I see where you are coming from. The way I try to watch the Bundesliga is by focusing on which teams will finish 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for Champions League spots respectively. While yes an argument can be made that Dortmund will always finish 2nd on the off chance they don't win the league which is most often the case, enjoyment can be had by watching the Bundesliga. Plus Dortmund was close to being relegated last season.

I don't understand what happened to Lyon, they were title contenders last season in Ligue Un and therefore there was at least a reason to occasionally watch Ligue Un from time to time but things have gotten out of hand this season.

As for La Liga, I've never been the biggest La Liga fan but I do watch it occasionally.

Serie A has made a resurgence, sure it's not the Serie A of yesteryear but it's definitely one of the most competitive and exciting leagues at the moment, there are about five teams that could win the Scudetto. Napoli, Inter, Juve, Fiorentina and Roma are all in the title race. And lets not mention the Premier League and all the shenanigans happening there with Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham all in the top half of the table. Hell even Stoke, Crystal Palace and Watford are doing well.

Another league to keep an eye out as you said is the Eredivisie, mostly because of all the young talent being developed there.

On another note both Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have been handed transfer bans.
    These two clubs have been banned from registering players for the next two transfer windows. They have been punished by world governing body FIFA for breaching rules over the transfer of minors. The ban does not cover the current transfer window which runs until the end of this month. Atletico were fined 900,000 Swiss francs (Ł622,000), while Real were told to pay 360,000 (Ł249,000).
    Last edited by Zorocario; 17th January 2016 at 8:31 AM.

C'mon, this has to be season Arsenal wins the league title. As for Champs League, knowing my team, they'll pull some epic miracle to beat Barcelona, only to lose to like Gent next round.
    "It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And then one fine morning -
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

I like this thread title.

The local team I support (Central Coast Mariners) is doing badly this season, but sudden;y we've announced the signing of one Luis Garcia. @_@ Sure, he's old and apparently hasn't played for a while, but that's a heck of a name.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Pokémon news, opinions, creative works and more. Now live!

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    C'mon, this has to be season Arsenal wins the league title. As for Champs League, knowing my team, they'll pull some epic miracle to beat Barcelona, only to lose to like Gent next round.
    If Arsenal doesn't win the league this season I will be shocked, because they have everything going for them. I'm not trying to take anything away from Leicester but on paper Arsenal are the better team and should win the league. Aside from them two theres Man City to keep an eye on and other than that I will simply say that this is the year Arsenal has been waiting for, again not to take anything away from what Leicester have done this season but Arsenal's main competition is Man City.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    If Arsenal doesn't win the league this season I will be shocked, because they have everything going for them. I'm not trying to take anything away from Leicester but on paper Arsenal are the better team and should win the league. Aside from them two theres Man City to keep an eye on and other than that I will simply say that this is the year Arsenal has been waiting for, again not to take anything away from what Leicester have done this season but Arsenal's main competition is Man City.
    If Leicester ends up going into Europe, that will be a great achievement. If Chelsea ends up going into Europe.. than.. well.. I'll break a chair to be perfectly honest.. As a Dutchman, I blame Hiddink for causing the Dutch national team not going to the EC. Sure, Blind was manager at the time when the bell rang midnight, but he only had limited time to fix Hiddink's crapfest, there was literally no saving it any more.

So, I'm definitely supporting Arsenal, Leicester, ManU (not because I have faith in LvG), Tottenham and Liverpool. Just keep Chelsea out of the Top5.. Oh, and Newcastle and Swansea.. Because I like the Welsh and a mate of mine supports Newcastle and it's filled to the brim with Dutch that do not deserve to be relegated. Oh, and because I'm a sucker for relegation play-offs. The team I support in the Eredivisie is currently last. It's like a party everytime they manage to get a point! xD

If ManC wins again, I'll throw a small fit.. There's just no soul to that team. But I guess there's no point denying they'll be in the Top5 when it's all said and done.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    If Leicester ends up going into Europe, that will be a great achievement. If Chelsea ends up going into Europe.. than.. well.. I'll break a chair to be perfectly honest.. As a Dutchman, I blame Hiddink for causing the Dutch national team not going to the EC. Sure, Blind was manager at the time when the bell rang midnight, but he only had limited time to fix Hiddink's crapfest, there was literally no saving it any more.

So, I'm definitely supporting Arsenal, Leicester, ManU (not because I have faith in LvG), Tottenham and Liverpool. Just keep Chelsea out of the Top5.. Oh, and Newcastle and Swansea.. Because I like the Welsh and a mate of mine supports Newcastle and it's filled to the brim with Dutch that do not deserve to be relegated. Oh, and because I'm a sucker for relegation play-offs. The team I support in the Eredivisie is currently last. It's like a party everytime they manage to get a point! xD

If ManC wins again, I'll throw a small fit.. There's just no soul to that team. But I guess there's no point denying they'll be in the Top5 when it's all said and done.
    Finally someone who agrees with me on Hiddink, usually the Dutch people I've talked to try to defend him and I'm like what? He's literally a worse Van Gaal. I've never been an LVG fan so uh yeah.

I just hope Liverpool can manage a European spot, but as a Liverpool fan I have come to the realization that they are a mid-table team now. If they can close the gap between themselves and United I'd be happy. It's only six points.

As for the Eredivisie, I just don't want Ajax to win, I'd rather PSV win, only because they are much more likeable as a club and their fan base is better I think.

Forgot to mention that my amateur team won 2-3 in a derby match last Saturday. Had to sit out most of the match due to missing a both practices this week. First match in ages due to the Christmas break and several cancelled matches due to bad weather/unplayable pitches. Not that the last pitch was any good, I had to dodge lifestock while retreiving the out of bounds balls..

Another win for my team! 3-1 win against a team that creamed us 6-0 on the away game. The away-game was hectic, since one of our top-players (that wasn't already injured or otherwise absent) had to leave the pitch by ambulance and we just didn't have the focus afterwards to do much. Not to mention that the referee was a player from their club who had just finished playing his own match and thus wasn't fair in his calls to say the least..

And all but the one I mentioned above (the 2-3 win) of the teams that are currently above us lost their matches. Meaning we are getting back in the game to finish in at least the Top3.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    Finally someone who agrees with me on Hiddink, usually the Dutch people I've talked to try to defend him and I'm like what? He's literally a worse Van Gaal. I've never been an LVG fan so uh yeah.

I just hope Liverpool can manage a European spot, but as a Liverpool fan I have come to the realization that they are a mid-table team now. If they can close the gap between themselves and United I'd be happy. It's only six points.

As for the Eredivisie, I just don't want Ajax to win, I'd rather PSV win, only because they are much more likeable as a club and their fan base is better I think.
    I think Klöpp can make it work. Yes, Liverpool doesn't have the money that ManU, Chelsea and ManC has, but you can get pretty darn far with good scouting and a good coach. There's a host of talent that Liverpool can look into. There are players like Kane and Bale just waiting to be discovered and picked up.

As for the Eredivisie, the "traditional top3" (Ajax, Psv, Feyenoord) is a bit awkward. Ajax and Feyenoord are like Liverpool and ManU, but probably worse. Most supporters from Feyenoord won't even pronounce the word Amsterdam, much less name the club they're playing against, and likewise for most Ajax-supporters. Most of the time, they just call each other by their postal-code, either 010, or 020. Psv is a bit of an oddity as it doesn't have a major rival in that Top3, not because it's much better or far worse, but because Eindhoven just never wanted to present itself as the biggest city of the Netherlands (something Amsterdam and Rotterdam are constantly trying to think themselves of.

So yeah, maybe the Psv-supporters are a bit more mellow than the supporters for Ajax and Feyenoord, but that also translates to when they win. I really don't care. But it's a lot of fun when either Ajax or Feyenoord wins because the supporters turn so sour for a couple of weeks. Having studied in Amsterdam, I may be biased, but I'm not really commited to them at all, but godforbid Feyenoord wins and goes into the Champions League and having to play in Rome again.. Or in Barçalona.. I mean the Sagrada Familia is almost done! Just think of what would happen!
    Last edited by Locormus; Today at 12:13 AM.