Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Languages.

Default Languages.

Hey. I was just curious as to what languages everyone speaks here, and to perhaps have this as a thread where we can discuss language/languages as a subject in general, and help other people that are trying to learn a new language if they have questions.

I only speak my native tongue English, but I've been really trying really hard to learn Spanish. I downloaded duolingo which has been a pretty helpful app, but I'm currently struggling a lot trying to nail down Spanish conjugation. I was told Spanish is supposed to be one of the easier languages to learn, but it definitely doesn't feel like it. I think one of the hardest things to get used to is the fact that you can't just literally translate what you know in your native tongue over to the language you're trying to learn. For example, "Como pan" made absolutely no sense to me because it literally translates to "eat bread" in English. Anyways, I'm mainly interested in Spanish because it has so much practical use. If I can master Spanish, I want to try my hand at a more fun but less useful language, like Hebrew or Gaelic. I also think the bonuses of boosted brain health and a second personality are kind of cool.
    Last edited by Baba Yaga; 28th June 2016 at 8:17 PM.

I only speak English and Dutch.

Dutch is my mother tongue and I'm a sales advisor for the German department of my company, so I speak German fluently as well. Other languages I speak are English, French and I'm following a course for Spanish.
    Current Omega Ruby team:

Friend Code: 3153-5805-8969

I speak English and basic to intermediate french. Not fluent but enough to work where I work and get around. Also took spanish in school so i have my basic understanding

English is my mother tongue so i speak English most.konkani and hindi comes second. Then comes french (even I've downloaded duolingo to learn it).

I grew up learning English, French, Hebrew and Yiddish. My French is at a conversational level, but my Hebrew and Yiddish both suck, even when I lived in Israel for a few months.

There was just no way to properly learn that many languages in the amount of time we had and with the curriculum my teachers used. I wish I was a bilingual English/French speaker, but alas. Knowing multiple languages is definitely beneficial, but it's way easier if you start young.

~Psychic

Amazing art gift by the talented KCW! Check out his other art here!

I can only speak English. My dad knows some German, and my sister has learned some Chinese
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

English is my native language; in high school (and a year of college) studied Latin. My Latin's very rusty--don't remember a whole lot of vocabularly besides the important ones and barely remember any of the inflections (i.e. declensions and conjugations) by heart any more :v

Haven't ever tried learning another language, mostly because I have so much else to study :/

I have an Abra who's nicknamed in Japanese characters and was wondering if anyone could translate for me..it's written in symbols and I would like to know the worded Japanese name and what it means in English. I would greatly appreciate it!
    3ds FC - 4957-6908-8511

Love strategizing and putting teams together.

PM me if you're interested in battling and/or trading!

Rivals:

None

Badges Earned (Outside of Main Games):

None

American English is my native language, but I speak German, Dutch, a little Danish, and I'm beginning work on Norwegian. (I really suck at it though.) My dream language is modern Greek and I WILL learn it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Schade
    Have you ever played Hide and seek? I love that game, because you never know who's gonna be the duck, and who's gonna be the goose.
    thesketchqueen everywhere else on the internet. don't call me a girl, thanks.
    role player profile . tumblr . claims . art . coronet designs

I speak only English. Probably too difficult for me to learn any other languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
    I speak only English. Probably too difficult for me to learn any other languages.
    Surely a New Zealander knows a bit of Maori too?

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
    Hey, I'm from New Zealand and I don't know a thing about Maori. The loudness of it scares me
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
    I am a NZ European so I don't speak. I feel comfortable speaking a language that I am born with. If I wanted to learn another language, I would learn French or Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Hey, I'm from New Zealand and I don't know a thing about Maori. The loudness of it scares me
    Is Maori the native tongue on the island??

I can speak 18 different languages. I made 14 of those languages up myself, though.

Quote Originally Posted by lemoncatpower View Post
    Is Maori the native tongue on the island??
    Don't think so since most of us speak English.

My main language is English. I took four years of French in school, and I can read and write it pretty well. However, I still have difficulty in listening to someone speak it; it has a lot of silent letters and different words that sound alike, so it can be hard to mentally spell out what they're saying. I've also studied a little bit of Italian and Portuguese on the side out of curiosity.

I have claimed Dialga, Vivi Ornitier, Splatoon, and "In the Final" - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

Why would I be good enough for anybody?

I can only speak English fluently. I used to be fluent in French, but it's pretty rusty nowadays. I'm thinking about re-learning it, though.

I can speak both English and Spanish. Spanish is my first language, and I learned English when I was in grade school.

i speak english (obviously) and speak spanish pretty well. my vocabulary is still a bit limited but i can understand people and can usually get across what i want to say. it's pretty useful here, but i wish i spoke more. i would want to learn mandarin since that's probably the 3rd most useful language here after english and spanish, but i have picked up some books just for the speaking part, not even writing, and it is reeeeeeally challenging.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)
    Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)
    twitter|tumblr
    [21:03] <+Skiks> ellie is out of context
    [21:04] <+Skiks> the experience

My first language is English but due to the fact that I work in a school where minorities, blacks and hispanics, make up majority of the student body, I've been picking up on Spanish. I don't speak it fluently but I'm learning it.

Also, my aunt is from Panama and she's been trying to teach me Spanish.

Obviously I have English down, and through school I took six years of French, so I would say I'm pretty solid with that language as well. Not much else though. I kinda want to learn Spanish just for its practicality. I've been picking some up from the Spanish people that I work with, but not a whole bunch. The only language my college offers is Chinese, so maybe I'll take that class sometime down the road.
    Days Left (including today): 0

I can speak English , Hindi, Punjabi ,Marathi

Quien habla espańol?? Soy mexicano - americano so both languages are ok for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast