Page 88 of 113 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2824

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Who sung the original of the song "Impossible"?
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the amazing banner.

Pokegyms Ice leader. Masters league Steel leader.

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fighting View Post
    Who sung the original of the song "Impossible"?
    I assume you're refering to the new James Arthur (The X-Factor winner's) song. In that case, the original artist was Shontelle.

I have a hunch that this is some sort of academic joke, but what does the phrase "I wish you'd be a list, but you're just a string" mean?

The guy who manages student accounts and the computer system at my school kept saying that to me throughout finals week. :/

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

okay so i uploaded my profile picture, and it shows up in my profile page. however, when i post something, my profile picture does not show up. why? and is there a way to fix it?

White 2 FC: 4986 3698 5015

Current W2 Team:

Quote Originally Posted by guyy94 View Post
    okay so i uploaded my profile picture, and it shows up in my profile page. however, when i post something, my profile picture does not show up. why? and is there a way to fix it?
    The picture that appears to the left of your username is your avatar, not your profile picture. Your profile picture is indeed the picture that shows up on your profile page, but your avatar is the one that everybody sees when you're posting. (:

I have a hunch that this is some sort of academic joke, but what does the phrase "I wish you'd be a list, but you're just a string" mean?
    I'm only a beginner but ... a String is usually used to hold text while a List can hold any data type.

So I wish you can do anything, but you can't?

You see, my mom has a co-worker who just adopted a dog to give her kids for Christmas, but since dogs don't really appreciate being trapped in boxes and being forced to shut up for a week, my family is taking care of it until then.

However, she's refusing to eat it's food. I mean, she's running around the house, trying to eat everything except it's dog food. I could get her to eat it out of the bowl on the first day, but now, she won't even let me hand feed her. She's a toy sized mutt with long, white hair, and nine months old and has a flat face. Is there anything I can do to get her to eat the food? Getting another brand is out of the question, since apparently, this brand was recommend specifically by the vet.

We were warned she might get diarrhea from changing her brand, though she hasn't....I'm still getting the feeling she might not be eating it because it's not going over well with her stomach or something.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    I'm only a beginner but ... a String is usually used to hold text while a List can hold any data type.
    Hmm... I thought that, since the IT guy did give me that hint, but apparently it wasn't the right answer. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Meowth City View Post
    I assume you're refering to the new James Arthur (The X-Factor winner's) song. In that case, the original artist was Shontelle.
    Yes I was. Thanks for clarifying.

So the whole posting in a thread after 30 days is a no-no, but what if that thread becomes popular again? I was just going to edit my response in the Mental Illness thread and I see it has closed, despite the numerous posts in it since yesterday. Obviously you could not create another thread about it either, so further question is, how do you continue the conversation then? I suppose you just don't?
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Hunger pains or hunger pangs? And what is a jive turkey?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    how do you continue the conversation then? I suppose you just don't?
    You just answered your own questions. If the mods deem the conversation inappropriate then we don't have a discussion about it. If it's a thread that's been closed because it was bumped after inactivity, you can restart it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    And what is a jive turkey?
    Jive Turkey

I figured as much but just wanted some confirmation. Thanks Spookz.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    You just answered your own questions. If the mods deem the conversation inappropriate then we don't have a discussion about it. If it's a thread that's been closed because it was bumped after inactivity, you can restart it.
    Then why lock the thread in the first place if the discussion is going to be restarted anyway? Locking the thread means that the discussion that took place in it essentially is wasted, since there's no room to build off of that discussion without needing to constantly, inconveniently switch back and forth between the locked thread and the open one.

Quote Originally Posted by virizionx86 View Post
    Then why lock the thread in the first place if the discussion is going to be restarted anyway? Locking the thread means that the discussion that took place in it essentially is wasted, since there's no room to build off of that discussion without needing to constantly, inconveniently switch back and forth between the locked thread and the open one.
    *shrug* I don't make the rules, that's just the way it is around here.

This is probably going to sound silly but I'll post in anyway...

Are Narwhal Wales real?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fighting View Post
    This is probably going to sound silly but I'll post in anyway...

Are Narwhal Wales real?
    Yes, they are.

This is Achievement Hunter's video on the most recent Mirror's Edge easter egg in Battlefield 3. Technically there's some mild swearing so... you know, don't watch it if you're 12.

Kind of a boring easter egg; just Faith's shoes on the edge of that random building. However, on the (what appears to be) air duct they are sitting behind, as Ray walks up to the shoes, you can see a sign or poster or something on the air duct that says the name "Kiki" and then some more illegible text. Ray and Michael don't mention it so I'm guessing it isn't part of the easter egg, and the comments are typical YT flaming and therefore not helpful. However, my crush a good friend of mine is named that and, seeing as it's a rare name, it struck me as odd. Does it mean anything, or a reference to something? Is it something from Battlefield itself or is it part of the easter egg? Is it just some random thing and I'm fixating on it for no reason?

How was the modern-day QWERTY keyboard arranged how it is arranged today? (Not why, I know the why. I want to know how.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    How was the modern-day QWERTY keyboard arranged how it is arranged today? (Not why, I know the why. I want to know how.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwerty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Thanks for linking me to that. But that doesn't really explain how they figured out it was the best keyboard layout to use at the time.

Thanks for linking me to that. But that doesn't really explain how they figured out it was the best keyboard layout to use at the time.
    This link might be of more help, but here's the important bit:

This early typewriter used a mechanism with characters on the end of a bar. When a key was struck, a linkage would swing the bar into a tape coated with ink. When the character struck the tape, the impression of the character was transferred onto the paper, which was positioned behind the tape.

Sholes' original prototypes had a problem with the bars colliding with each other and jamming. So the story goes that he arranged the keys with the most common letters in hard to reach spots, to slow typists down and try to avoid this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    This link might be of more help, but here's the important bit:

Sholes' original prototypes had a problem with the bars colliding with each other and jamming. So the story goes that he arranged the keys with the most common letters in hard to reach spots, to slow typists down and try to avoid this problem.
    So I would assume that they merely used trial and error to determine what a good keyboard combination was? Interesting yet really inefficient.

I assume that when you said you knew the "why" of how the keyboard layout was decided, you know that it has to do with it actually being bad, as Spookz said.

I don't think that there's a specific "how" that they used to determine the layout, and it was a lot of trial-and-error. But you can notice some things, such as each vowel being used by separate fingers, more common letters being relegated to the index fingers, and common pairs being attached to separate fingers (st, gh, in, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I assume that when you said you knew the "why" of how the keyboard layout was decided, you know that it has to do with it actually being bad, as Spookz said.

I don't think that there's a specific "how" that they used to determine the layout, and it was a lot of trial-and-error. But you can notice some things, such as each vowel being used by separate fingers, more common letters being relegated to the index fingers, and common pairs being attached to separate fingers (st, gh, in, etc.).
    For the first part, yeah I did, with common letters being so close to each other causing keyboard jams.

As for the second part, I'm going to assume that it was due to trial-and-error that they found out that the QWERTY system was acceptable. Nothing indicates to me otherwise.

Thanks for the help, guys. (:

Page 88 of 113 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast