Page 94 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 2718

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Another question like this is it better to say : TV series involving teenagers and love or TV series in which teenagers and love are involved ?
    3DS Friend Code: 2895 6298 8523. PM me if you add me ^^
    I am a grass type with Ivysaur, Pansage and Gogoat
    Looking for Friend Safaris with : Kirlia, Vullaby, Inkay, Swirlix, Emolga, Galvantula, Tranquill, tropius, Maractus, Nincada, Gastrodon, Kakuna, Ariados, Muk, Whirlipede, Foretress, Bronzong, Excadrill, Krabby, Azumarill
    PM me if you have one of those

I also have Bravely Default so if you want to add me for that game PM too ^^

Arrancars are pokemon...seriously they have four moves:
    Pesquisa (Mind reader?)
    Bala (Elemental punch?)
    Sonido (Extreme Speed)
    Cero (Hyper Beam)

Quote Originally Posted by Ze DreamGirl View Post
    Another question like this is it better to say : TV series involving teenagers and love or TV series in which teenagers and love are involved ?
    Both are equally acceptable, though I'd say the former is more common.

Being French..I have trouble remembering what "the former" refers to in a two elements suggestion...the first or the second ?
    Looking for Friend Safaris with : Kirlia, Vullaby, Inkay, Swirlix, Emolga, Galvantula, Tranquill, tropius, Maractus, Nincada, Gastrodon, Kakuna, Ariados, Muk, Whirlipede, Foretress, Bronzong, Excadrill, Krabby, Azumarill

Pesquisa (Mind reader?)
    Bala (Elemental punch?)
    Sonido (Extreme Speed)
    Cero (Hyper Beam)

Being French..I have trouble remembering what "the former" refers to in a two elements suggestion...the first or the second ?
    The first, while the "latter" would refer to the second.

Hey all, back with another question.

My computer's been acting weird lately, since probably last week, while I am playing World of Warcraft it would freeze randomly for no reason at all. It only happens once that day, in total the computer's frozen three times while playing Warcraft (You know how those addicted play it alot? Well that's me, well not 24/7 I still do like dishes and laundry, but I still play it awfully a lot). The first time I wasn't doing anything, just checking my ingame bank and it froze, once I turned it off and on again, it didn't happen until a few days later, then I was in a dungeon when it froze again.

After turning it off and on again, it worked fine for a few days, and now today it just froze again. I have no idea why it's doing this. I did just get a new graphics card (HD 7850, Radeon) but that was in January, for the first month playing WoW nothing went wrong, for the first time I could play WoW on my new computer, with no disconnecting or hardly any lag). Only happened like last week, the only thing I can think of is that I got a new monitor and moved my computer around in my room on a different desk.

When the computer would freeze, and the sound is up there's a weird static sort of noise (Coming from the game I presume). I can't alt+tab or press windows, nothing happens. My actual computer doesn't seem to be doing anything strange though (I have pressed my ear against it to see if I could hear weird noises, nothing, the fan and everything seems fine). Is it just because I play WoW everyday and I should just deal with it? Or is there a deeper problem?

I do remember a week or two before the freezes, WoW crashed aleast twice to the desktop with some error, but that hasn't happened since. Any help?
    Claims Amber Benson and Ali Larter as Bishie.

Credits go to the original creators of Cynthia's and Flannery's artwork.
    United we stand but seperated we fall

And so the fifth generation begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Pottermore is essentially a site which is used to relive the series as well as discover new tidbits of info about the world of Potter. You are sorted into houses and are assigned a wand (with varying cores and woods) after some short questionnaires and then after that you can experience each of the books in turn (only the first two are available in their entirety, though) through "moments", which are like interactive scenes representing the chapters of the books. There are hidden items to collect as well as exclusive content from Rowling herself. Each action earns you points, which goes into the standard house cup system, calculated once a year. So far Slytherin and Gryffindor have won once each. There are also extra features such as making potions and duelling.

I really would reccomend it, going through each book and seeing visual representations of them (which aren't the films) are a pleasure to experience. also, not really relevant but slytherin ftw....
    Very clear explanation thank you but is it supposed to be a online game or just for extra info on harry potter. (Oh and Gryfindoor are better) :P
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead of Daedric Design

Grass Safari: Sunkern, Sawsbuck & Quiladen
    3DS FC: 3497 1041 4758
    Feel free to add me but let me know if you do

Trinity League Badges:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fighting View Post
    Very clear explanation thank you but is it supposed to be a online game or just for extra info on harry potter. (Oh and Gryfindoor are better) :P
    It's a bit of both really. Because it's interactive you get to "play" along as you go through the story, sometimes you have to learn spells or brew potions and find certain items before you can move on. By finding these items and stepping through each chapter, you sort of unlock pages of extra information. For example, when new characters are introduced you can read their biography and when something new/significant happens to them information is often added to their biography page. So, you can't do one without the other. Though you can brew potions and duel outside of the storyline.

I hope that clarifies things a bit, not sure if I explained that well enough.

Where's a good place to train before fighting Claire the 8th Gym leader in Heart Gold? All of my pokemon are in 30's + and the wild pokemon are at 25's
        Spoiler:- Credit:

It'd be better to ask in the HG/SS section. Either way, Dragon's Den is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    It'd be better to ask in the HG/SS section. Either way, Dragon's Den is your best bet.
    Ah, Sorry about that. I just searched "Questions" and figured here would be ok. Thanks for the answer and sorry about that!
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    It's a bit of both really. Because it's interactive you get to "play" along as you go through the story, sometimes you have to learn spells or brew potions and find certain items before you can move on. By finding these items and stepping through each chapter, you sort of unlock pages of extra information. For example, when new characters are introduced you can read their biography and when something new/significant happens to them information is often added to their biography page. So, you can't do one without the other. Though you can brew potions and duel outside of the storyline.

I hope that clarifies things a bit, not sure if I explained that well enough.
    I believe it does thanks. I will just watch a youtube guide to see what it's like.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead of Daedric Design

Grass Safari: Sunkern, Sawsbuck & Quiladen
    3DS FC: 3497 1041 4758
    Feel free to add me but let me know if you do

Trinity League Badges:

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesThief View Post
    Where's a good place to train before fighting Claire the 8th Gym leader in Heart Gold? All of my pokemon are in 30's + and the wild pokemon are at 25's
    The route below Blackthorn City
    3DS FC: 0688-6448-9235
    VM ME IF YOU ADD ME

CLAIMED FROGADIER ON 11/10/13

#survivorcagayan

Question aimed towards eBay buyers/sellers.

So I realized that I accidentally mistyped my house address number and the mail was delivered back to the USPS Sort Facility. Gonna use a fictional street address as an example here, but instead of "757 Fake Street", I accidentally typed "575 Fake Street". Have you guys run into something like this before, and if so, how did you handle this situation?

(Seeing the fact that all post offices are closed today and tomorrow due to an observed holiday, I can't call until Tuesday.)

I have a question about the c-gear skins and pokedolls available to people who registered their B2/W2 on the same PGL account as their B/W. It says to just go to the promotions page to claim them, but when I go to the page they're not there? Anyone else having this problem or know how to solve it?
    Black FC: 1377-7731-2864 White FC: 4470-0522-1919 In-game Name: ANGEL

What is the title of the song with the following lyrics :"It's the way that is going on, they keep killing our people they know that it's wrong, what are we to do ? ooh ooh ooh..." ?

And how can I stop forgetting the name of the song or of the guy singing it ?

Pesquisa (Mind reader?)
    Bala (Elemental punch?)
    Sonido (Extreme Speed)
    Cero (Hyper Beam)

2 second googling revealed it to be:

Junior Caldera - The Way

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

Thanks ^^ Did you actually put all the sentence in the search bar ? I'm always worried it might not work if what i put in there is too long...or too precise...

Pesquisa (Mind reader?)
    Bala (Elemental punch?)
    Sonido (Extreme Speed)
    Cero (Hyper Beam)

Thanks ^^ Did you actually put all the sentence in the search bar ? I'm always worried it might not work if what i put in there is too long...or too precise...
    Yep, that's just what I did. It usually works fine with song lyrics.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

Ok, it might be stupid but: Can I break a calculator if i try to divide by zero with it ? Not that i want to do it since I'm afraid of what might happen...

Pesquisa (Mind reader?)
    Bala (Elemental punch?)
    Sonido (Extreme Speed)
    Cero (Hyper Beam)

Ok, it might be stupid but: Can I break a calculator if i try to divide by zero with it ? Not that i want to do it since I'm afraid of what might happen...
    Haha, no, you won't break your calculator, even if your math teacher tries to tell you otherwise. ; ) You'll just get an error message, nothing more.

Though that does bring up a question I've been wondering about for a while: Why haven't mathematicians figured out some crazy complex way of dividing by zero yet? I mean, you shouldn't be able to take the square root of a negative number either, but somebody devised a way to do it. Why, exactly, is dividing by zero so off-limits in the world of math?

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Current endeavors:

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    Haha, no, you won't break your calculator, even if your math teacher tries to tell you otherwise. ; ) You'll just get an error message, nothing more.

Though that does bring up a question I've been wondering about for a while: Why haven't mathematicians figured out some crazy complex way of dividing by zero yet? I mean, you shouldn't be able to take the square root of a negative number either, but somebody devised a way to do it. Why, exactly, is dividing by zero so off-limits in the world of math?
    This is easiest understood in a wider perspective. You have the more general structure called a field, which is a group of objects and two operations on them that satisfies certain conditions. Let's call these operations + and * (addition and multiplication). Due to the conditions on a field, there exists both an additive neutral element (called 0) and a multiplicative neutral element (called 1), these does by definition satisfy a+0=0+a=a and a*1=1*a=a for all elements a in the field. One of the conditions of it being a field is that a*(b+c)=a*b+a*c, for any a,b,c in the field. Because it's true for all a,b,c it's also true in the special case c=0, which gives a*(b+0)=a*b+a*0, where a*(b+0)=a*b, which gives that a*0=0 for all a in the field.

We now define the additive inverse to the element a as the element b(=-a) satisfying a+b=b+a=0 and the multiplicative inverse to a as c(=a^-1) satisfying a*c=c*a=1. Having this, we can now define subtraction of the element a as adding its additive inverse and similarly for division (multiplying by a^-1). Dividing by 0 is now the same as multiplying with its multiplicative inverse, let's call it d. Because it's the multiplicative inverse we have that 0*d=1, but we also have that 0*d=0 because d is an element in the field. We can now conclude that unless 0=1, 0 doesn't have a multiplicative inverse and that it's therefore impossible to divide by it.
    Suppose that 0=1, this means that a*0=a*1=a => a=0, for all a in the field. This means that the field only have one element but part of the requirements of being a field is that it have at least 2 elements (the purpose is to exclude the trivial case of the one element field).

We are still not able to take the square roots of negative numbers btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is easiest understood in a wider perspective. You have the more general structure called a field, which is a group of objects and two operations on them that satisfies certain conditions. Let's call these operations + and * (addition and multiplication). Due to the conditions on a field, there exists both an additive neutral element (called 0) and a multiplicative neutral element (called 1), these does by definition satisfy a+0=0+a=a and a*1=1*a=a for all elements a in the field. One of the conditions of it being a field is that a*(b+c)=a*b+a*c, for any a,b,c in the field. Because it's true for all a,b,c it's also true in the special case c=0, which gives a*(b+0)=a*b+a*0, where a*(b+0)=a*b, which gives that a*0=0 for all a in the field.

We now define the additive inverse to the element a as the element b(=-a) satisfying a+b=b+a=0 and the multiplicative inverse to a as c(=a^-1) satisfying a*c=c*a=1. Having this, we can now define subtraction of the element a as adding its additive inverse and similarly for division (multiplying by a^-1). Dividing by 0 is now the same as multiplying with its multiplicative inverse, let's call it d. Because it's the multiplicative inverse we have that 0*d=1, but we also have that 0*d=0 because d is an element in the field. We can now conclude that unless 0=1, 0 doesn't have a multiplicative inverse and that it's therefore impossible to divide by it.
    Suppose that 0=1, this means that a*0=a*1=a => a=0, for all a in the field. This means that the field only have one element but part of the requirements of being a field is that it have at least 2 elements (the purpose is to exclude the trivial case of the one element field).
    Ah, I think I understand now. Thanks for putting your explanation in terms that even this math-phobic person can understand.

We are still not able to take the square roots of negative numbers btw.
    ...You mean that all that talk about imaginary numbers in college algebra and trig was a lie? :O (I never did understand what the purpose of learning about those things was...)

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Current endeavors:

...You mean that all that talk about imaginary numbers in college algebra and trig was a lie? :O (I never did understand what the purpose of learning about those things was...)
    Not all the talk about it. Most of it is true actually. One common mistake taught in college seems to be that i=sqrt(-1), which works in (some/most) applications but is (when strict) not true. i is defined as i^2=-1. The reason this is not the same as i=sqrt(-1) is because of how the square root is defined. We say that a=sqrt(A) when a^2=A and a>0 (or a=0). This is to avoid disambiguity, because (-a)^2=^2=A. We had to choose one of them to make the meaning of sqrt(A) clear and we choose the positive one. The problem with is that, despite i^2=-1, i is not greater or equal to 0.
    Allowing the square root of negative numbers would lead to contradiction ex. 1=sqrt(1)=sqrt((-1)*(-1))=sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)=i*i=-1. Although it would be possible to define sqrt(-a) as i*sqrt(a) (for a>0), it's decided not to because of the previously mentioned example.

Analytically, dividing by zero is the same as multiplying by infinity

Proof: When you examine the asymptote of a graph, that limit is approaching infinity, but when you actually go to the function and solve for it, the value is divided by zero. That is what defines an asymptote.

Long story short, you can't multiply by infinity because infinity isn't really a value. Dividing by zero won't give you a real answer. It's like trying to find the value of an asymptote; there is no value because there's nothing real there.

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Analytically, dividing by zero is the same as multiplying by infinity

Proof: When you examine the asymptote of a graph, that limit is approaching infinity, but when you actually go to the function and solve for it, the value is divided by zero. That is what defines an asymptote.

Long story short, you can't multiply by infinity because infinity isn't really a value. Dividing by zero won't give you a real answer. It's like trying to find the value of an asymptote; there is no value because there's nothing real there.
    The limit for 1/x as x->0 does not exists though. For x->0+, 1/x goes towards infinity. For x->0-, 1/x goes towards negative infinity. Also, the graph for 1/x is discontinuous in x=1, so the "limit" is not a valid replacement for the actual value. How the graph acts when it's near x=0 does not tell us anything about what the issue in x=0 is.

Page 94 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast