Page 86 of 113 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2824

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Does anybody know why the 3DS's screen is extremely distorted if you don't look at its 3D-activated screen directly from the front?
    It's because the 3DS uses technology called an auto-stereoscopic parallax barrier. Without getting too into it, it's basically each eye sees a different image to create a 3D view. The way that the 3D slider thing works is simply pushing that barrier backwards and forwards to create more/less intensity. If you look at it from any angle other than directly straight, one of your eyes won't be receiving the correct image and so your 3D vision is distorted.

edit: Jb beat me to it. ):

edit2:
    Hmm, that makes sense. But couldn't they just have made it so that the "outisde screen" makes the images "pop out" at a different angle depending on whether or not the "pair of screens" is viewed from the front or the sides?
    The image popping out would be completely new technology, or would require the glasses. There isn't really anything 3D about an auto-stereoscopic parallax barrier when you think about it, it's just two images that fool your brain into thinking you're viewing 3D, whereas really it's just commonly a red and blue image in both your eyes. Which is again why you must view the screen straight on.
    Last edited by Calamity™; 11th November 2012 at 2:31 AM.

xxx

It's not "harmful", so to speak, but it does reduce your DS's battery life somewhat more.
    I see, thank you.

Hello curious reader! You know that at some point you've wished you could battle like a trainer in the Pokémon anime. You probably dismissed the thought as a passing fantasy, but did you know the Pokémon Anime Style Battling League allows you to do just that? It's true! Read up on how to get started, and if you have any questions the Q/A thread awaits.
    Hope to see you around the PASBL!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    It's because the 3DS uses technology called an auto-stereoscopic parallax barrier. Without getting too into it, it's basically each eye sees a different image to create a 3D view. The way that the 3D slider thing works is simply pushing that barrier backwards and forwards to create more/less intensity. If you look at it from any angle other than directly straight, one of your eyes won't be receiving the correct image and so your 3D vision is distorted.

edit: Jb beat me to it. ):

edit2:

The image popping out would be completely new technology, or would require the glasses. There isn't really anything 3D about an auto-stereoscopic parallax barrier when you think about it, it's just two images that fool your brain into thinking you're viewing 3D, whereas really it's just commonly a red and blue image in both your eyes. Which is again why you must view the screen straight on.
    So it's screens that fool the brain into thinking that the eyes are seeing 3D images, correct? So wouldn't the outside screen just be able to tilt itself to adjust for the viewer's angle, or would that be part of the "completely new technology" that you're talking about?

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

In theory, if the screen tilted to match your eyes, then it should work because you're still viewing it straight on. But the system, and most devices that use the tech are simply not designed like that. You don't really want a screen that tilts on a game system that uses 3D. More moving parts, more money, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    In theory, if the screen tilted to match your eyes, then it should work because you're still viewing it straight on. But the system, and most devices that use the tech are simply not designed like that. You don't really want a screen that tilts on a game system that uses 3D. More moving parts, more money, etc.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. In addition to what you say, the main point of a system isn't the gimmick of its screen. :P

Well, thanks for the help. (:

I've been seeing a lot of commercials lately talking about something that's both a tablet and a laptop. I'm wondering, though, is there really a point to have both? It would seem like if you had one you wouldn't need the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but what is considered an MP3? I usually buy CDs, but there's a group I want to get something from that only releases music digitally- I apparently need an MP3 to download it.
    I thought I might rephrase this question: What kind of devices can I use to download music digitally?
    I think I'll ask one of my professors about the 1+1=2 proof, though.
    I finally remembered to ask my professor. I told him I figured it was just defined that way, and he said:
        Spoiler:
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

I'm downloading a game via google chrome. Here are two questions

a) If my internet disconnects, what happens to the download? Does it get reset?
    b) If the answer to (a) is yes, what could be used to solve the method?
    c) If the answer to (c) requires an application, is it free?
    d) If the answer to (d) is yes, then I'm gonna use it.
    e) If the answer to (b) requires doing "adjustments" to the cable, I'm not gonna take it xD

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

I've been seeing a lot of commercials lately talking about something that's both a tablet and a laptop. I'm wondering, though, is there really a point to have both? It would seem like if you had one you wouldn't need the other.
    This is probably a dumb question, but what is considered an MP3? I usually buy CDs, but there's a group I want to get something from that only releases music digitally- I apparently need an MP3 to download it.
    I thought I might rephrase this question: What kind of devices can I use to download music digitally?
    Eh. Tablets are more portable, but laptops are easier to use.

MP3 is a file type, not a physical object ^-^
    All you need to download an MP3 is a laptop/computer. Once the file is downloaded (on your Desktop is where I usually download mine), insert your MP3 Player or iPod into your laptop and drag the file over to it (I'm pretty sure iTunes does it some other way; I don't use Apple products).

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    I'm downloading a game via google chrome. Here are two questions

a) If my internet disconnects, what happens to the download? Does it get reset?
    b) If the answer to (a) is yes, what could be used to solve the method?
    c) If the answer to (c) requires an application, is it free?
    d) If the answer to (d) is yes, then I'm gonna use it.
    e) If the answer to (b) requires doing "adjustments" to the cable, I'm not gonna take it xD
    If your internet DCs during a download, the download stops and the file(s) will probably corrupted. The only thing you can do is to restart the download.

So I use GIMP for my forum signatures. GIMP stands for "GNU Image Manipulation Program". My question is, what does "GNU" stand for?

The vast majority of the internet says that "GNU" stands for "GNU is Not Unix", but that doesn't really answer what the GNU actually is. Can anybody tell me what it actually is?

The vast majority of the internet says that "GNU" stands for "GNU is Not Unix", but that doesn't really answer what the GNU actually is. Can anybody tell me what it actually is?
    Basically, GNU was made to be very similar to the Unix Operating System. It comes from the Free Software Foundation, and it was developed originally to be used on Unix and Linux. So it is a project from many years ago that comprises of open source and so free software. That is why you can use GIMP legally for free.

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    Basically, GNU was made to be very similar to the Unix Operating System. It comes from the Free Software Foundation, and it was developed originally to be used on Unix and Linux. So it is a project from many years ago that comprises of open source and so free software. That is why you can use GIMP legally for free.
    Awesome, thanks.

...So what does GNU non-recursively stand for?

How long do you think it will take for Nintendo's Support Department to reply my email?

Since my thread got closed, I will ask the question here.

I recently moved to the DC/NOVA area and I have found some leagues, but I am a Pokemon fan who is an adult. The leagues I have found are full of young kids, I wouldn't mind finding some adult pokemon fans to connect with in the area. I have been searching for a few months through different websites and on the forums and I have come up empty handed. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

How come the Japanese don't get **** for being racist? They are well known for being extremely xenophobic and they don't even allow Japanese born people of Korean descent to vote. If an American even thought about suggesting something like that they would be lynched. Also, what are some other countries full of painfully racist people that don't get hassled for their views? Don't say the United States. You can be racist in America if you are black or mexican but as far as most Americans are concerned if you aren't ashamed of being white then you are a disgusting racist.
    Last edited by OldManJenkins; 1st December 2012 at 8:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    How come the Japanese don't get **** for being racist? They are well known for being extremely xenophobic and they don't even allow Japanese born people of Korean descent to vote. If an American even thought about suggesting something like that they would be lynched.
    More of a debate section topic. >_>
    Anyways I got a question.
    What does it mean when I get a notification and I click on it. It tells me that I got an unread VM so I click on it. There are no unread VMs and it wont stop telling me that I got an unread VM.
    what's wrong?
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Is Chess a sport?
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the amazing banner.

Pokegyms Ice leader. Masters league Steel leader.

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

No, Chess is a game.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    What does it mean when I get a notification and I click on it. It tells me that I got an unread VM so I click on it. There are no unread VMs and it wont stop telling me that I got an unread VM.
    what's wrong?
    It's a glitch in the forums. It'll go away eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    what's wrong?

Delete any vm and then refresh your page. That should take care of your problem.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Quick guys, my brothers wallet got stolen which included his license, state ID, credit card, debit card, and like 20 bucks. He's trying to cancel his cards right now. What else should he be doing after he's done canceling the cards? Do note that it's 11:00pm.
    3DS Friendcode: 5198-2496-8383

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fighting View Post
    Is Chess a sport?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    No, Chess is a game.
    It's a sport and a game.

is it stupid for a guy to have long hair

Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    Quick guys, my brothers wallet got stolen which included his license, state ID, credit card, debit card, and like 20 bucks. He's trying to cancel his cards right now. What else should he be doing after he's done canceling the cards? Do note that it's 11:00pm.
    Well, cancelling the cards is probably the most important part. Considering he had ID, he may also want to notify the Police and/or Credit Bureaus to avoid being a victim of identity theft. Apart from this, I'd imagine he'd want to contact the necessary people to get his ID and License cards back. And on that note, does he even need to carry his License? Considering he carries a State ID anyway. Over here if you need to prove you have a Drivers License, they'll normally give you a few days to produce the necessary documentation so you don't have to carry around these somewhat valuable things with you. Might help to be smart about what he puts into his wallet next time.

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by aaron345 View Post
    is it stupid for a guy to have long hair
    No. Where would you get such an impression.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity™ View Post
    Well, cancelling the cards is probably the most important part. Considering he had ID, he may also want to notify the Police and/or Credit Bureaus to avoid being a victim of identity theft. Apart from this, I'd imagine he'd want to contact the necessary people to get his ID and License cards back. And on that note, does he even need to carry his License? Considering he carries a State ID anyway. Over here if you need to prove you have a Drivers License, they'll normally give you a few days to produce the necessary documentation so you don't have to carry around these somewhat valuable things with you. Might help to be smart about what he puts into his wallet next time.
    Yea you have to carry your license in case if the police pull you over, they ask for license and if you don't have it you have to go to court to show it and get a ticket. But thanks for trying to help.
    3DS Friendcode: 5198-2496-8383

Page 86 of 113 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast