Page 95 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2824

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

That's very true. Since the graph approaches two different points at x=0, there's not really a real limit.

In that case, maybe dividing by zero isn't analogous to multiplying by infinity in all respects.

The point still stands though that neither dividing by zero nor multiplying by infinity will yield a real value.

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    That's very true. Since the graph approaches two different points at x=0, there's not really a real limit.

In that case, maybe dividing by zero isn't analogous to multiplying by infinity in all respects.

The point still stands though that neither dividing by zero nor multiplying by infinity will yield a real value.
    You made me curious. What education on mathematical analysis do you have? You have the notion of an asymptote, but it seems like you only have an intuitive understanding of a limit, rather than knowing the exact definition.
    Although analysis have its ways to get around division by zero in the cases that matters, it's not the discipline to use in this type of problem. It's a question about the structure of the rational numbers and the discipline about structures is called algebra.

I'm taking my first year of calculus right now.

I know what a limit is and I know that the limit as x approaches 0 for the function n/x (where n is any real number) does not exist because it is unbounded.

I haven't taken any statistics courses or anything involving math theory, so I'm mostly just using my knowledge of the math involved to make these inferences.

For example, I thought that maybe dividing by zero was kind of like multiplying by infinity because as you decrease the denominator of a fraction with a constant numerator, the value of that quantity increases as it gets closer to zero (which pretty much just characterizes the n/x graph)

I'm taking my first year of calculus right now.

I know what a limit is and I know that the limit as x approaches 0 for the function n/x (where n is any real number) does not exist because it is unbounded.

I haven't taken any statistics courses or anything involving math theory, so I'm mostly just using my knowledge of the math involved to make these inferences.

For example, I thought that maybe dividing by zero was kind of like multiplying by infinity because as you decrease the denominator of a fraction with a constant numerator, the value of that quantity increases as it gets closer to zero (which pretty much just characterizes the n/x graph)
    What is the definition of a limit? The first course usually gives an intuitive description of a limit, i.e. what's happening with the function as x approaches a value. That does not suffice as a strict definition and is not how a limit is actually defined. Maybe it's different on the Dinosaur Planet.
    The reason why I thought that you likely don't know the definition of a limit is because you didn't know that 1/x approaches different "values" depending on if x approaches 0 from the right, or from the left. That's more common for first course students than later course students, because later course students have more experience.

You shouldn't bother with statistics courses if you like mathematics. Statistics is application based and you'll get most of the theory in other courses.

When learning a language and watching DVDs or something in that language, is it better to watch them with English subtitles or without? With I find sometimes I learn new words, but usually I get too focussed on the subs and miss what's actually being said, and then without I find myself picking out words that I know. Which is better?

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What is the definition of a limit? The first course usually gives an intuitive description of a limit, i.e. what's happening with the function as x approaches a value. That does not suffice as a strict definition and is not how a limit is actually defined. Maybe it's different on the Dinosaur Planet.
    The reason why I thought that you likely don't know the definition of a limit is because you didn't know that 1/x approaches different "values" depending on if x approaches 0 from the right, or from the left. That's more common for first course students than later course students, because later course students have more experience.

You shouldn't bother with statistics courses if you like mathematics. Statistics is application based and you'll get most of the theory in other courses.
    I definitely knew that it approaches two different directions as x approaches zero, my answer just wasn't detailed enough.

My teacher is very peculiar about how we word our answers: she always wants us to use the word "unbounded" when applicable, probably because she doesn't want us to lose any points on the AP exam due to a formality.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    When learning a language and watching DVDs or something in that language, is it better to watch them with English subtitles or without? With I find sometimes I learn new words, but usually I get too focussed on the subs and miss what's actually being said, and then without I find myself picking out words that I know. Which is better?
    Subtitles may distract you from the foreign words and may cause them to go over your head when you hear them, so in my opinion I would advise you to stay away from them.

Now, you have to be careful about what kind of video you are using to educate yourself. You must be sure that you understand the material you are watching, foreign or not; whether you've seen it before or you can easily discern what is happening based on the visuals, you should be able to at least have a vague idea of what is going on without knowing the words. With that, it will be much easier to discern many of the words that you hear and will prove to be a more fulfilling experience overall. If you try to learn from something incomprehensible, you will likely be completely lost and everything will just go in one ear and out the other, even if you are trying to pay attention.
    Last edited by Gelatino95; 19th February 2013 at 7:52 PM.

I definitely knew that it approaches two different directions as x approaches zero, my answer just wasn't detailed enough.

My teacher is very peculiar about how we word our answers: she always wants us to use the word "unbounded" when applicable, probably because she doesn't want us to lose any points on the AP exam due to a formality.
    You did write that it approaches infinity and you also wrote that the quantity increases as x approaches 0.
    Anyways, back to the question you didn't answer. What definition of a limit did were you taught?

We never got a concise definition

Just a bunch of rules

We never got a concise definition

Just a bunch of rules
    You wrote that you know what a limit is, but apparently you don't.
    The definition of a limit is:
    (x to a real number) We say that lim[x->a]f(x)=A when for every e>0, there exists an N>0 such that |f(x)-A|<e whenever |x-a|<N.
    (x to infinity) We say that lim[x->infinity]f(x)=A when for every e>0, there exists an N>0 such that |f(x)-A|<e whenever x>N.
    (x to negative infinity) We say that lim[x->-infinity]f(x)=A when for every e>0, there exists an N<0 such that |f(x)-A|<e whenever x<N.

When learning a language and watching DVDs or something in that language, is it better to watch them with English subtitles or without?
    It depends on your grasp of the language so far.

If you're a beginner you should probably watch with subs since you can make the connection between certain words easier. It also helps with sentence structure. If you're at least intermediate watch without subs and use a language dictionary to look up words you don't know. At that point I'd suggest pausing the video every couple of lines to check your comprehension.

Oh, and ... you should probably not watch something exciting at first since it can break your concentration.

On HP OOTP the game for xbox 360, I've just beat the game on the hardest difficulty yet my achievement has unlocked. I've tried turning autosave off but nothing happened. I've heard this a glitch achievement. Any suggestions guys?
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the amazing banner.

Pokegyms Ice leader. Masters league Steel leader.

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

I'm having trouble with the promotions on the PGL website. Can someone please tell me how to get the reshiram/zekrom/victini c-gear skins and the starter pokedolls?
    Black FC: 1377-7731-2864 White FC: 4470-0522-1919 In-game Name: ANGEL

Is there anyway to completely disable the postcount of the iphone? [rather than zeroizing it from time to time]

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fighting View Post
    On HP OOTP the game for xbox 360, I've just beat the game on the hardest difficulty yet my achievement has unlocked. I've tried turning autosave off but nothing happened. I've heard this a glitch achievement. Any suggestions guys?
    I've heard that you need to play through it the first time on hard difficulty mode with auto-save OFF and also never turning off your console. I could only find these two solutions for you:

• Turn auto-save off and you may get it.
    • You have to delete your save file and go through the game anew with auto-save off.

Doesn't really seem worth the effort to me.

xxx

How do I know what to look for at garage sales?
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity™ View Post
    I've heard that you need to play through it the first time on hard difficulty mode with auto-save OFF and also never turning off your console. I could only find these two solutions for you:

• Turn auto-save off and you may get it.
    • You have to delete your save file and go through the game anew with auto-save off.

Doesn't really seem worth the effort to me.
    Tried turning autosave off, no luck. So I will start a new game on hard with autosave off and hopefully that will work. Not really worth it no but it's incredibly easy and fast to complete and it's also the last achievement I need to 1000g the game so I kind of want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fighting View Post
    Tried turning autosave off, no luck. So I will start a new game on hard with autosave off and hopefully that will work. Not really worth it no but it's incredibly easy and fast to complete and it's also the last achievement I need to 1000g the game so I kind of want it.
    Oh okay, well if that doesn't work you may need to do it without any previous save file. Which would mean deleting data and stuff. But hopefully you won't need to and you'll just get it. Sucks that they've coded this achievement poorly.

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity™ View Post
    Oh okay, well if that doesn't work you may need to do it without any previous save file. Which would mean deleting data and stuff. But hopefully you won't need to and you'll just get it. Sucks that they've coded this achievement poorly.
    Indeed, I don't understand why having auto-save off makes any difference to getting an achievement.

So here's a random question that hopefully someone can answer: Is there a specific name that is given to the study of country histories? Such as the politics behind country borders, separations and unifcations/reunifications. Or does that just come under 'history'?

For that matter, when one studies 'history' what is it exactly that is studied?

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    History is a very broad term, so I will give you a very broad definition: the study of past events, examples could be wars, origins of countries, groups of people, cultures, inventions, etc. Probably not what you were looking for, but oh well.

Does anyone have a good list of the highest paying careers? I've done some research on this topic, but for some reason I cannot come up with any information that seems accurate.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyy View Post
    History is a very broad term, so I will give you a very broad definition: the study of past events, examples could be wars, origins of countries, groups of people, cultures, inventions, etc. Probably not what you were looking for, but oh well.

Does anyone have a good list of the highest paying careers? I've done some research on this topic, but for some reason I cannot come up with any information that seems accurate.
    You should specify how many years of college your willing to go to and interests. I go to a voc school and a senior during my freshman year was making $20 an hour working PART TIME in the electronics field. That's pretty good considering he was working part time and still a high school student to make over double minimum wage in my state

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post
    You should specify how many years of college your willing to go to and interests.
    I just want to know the highest paying jobs out of curiosity, not because I plan to enter in one of those fields, so years of college and interests are irrelevant in this situation. But yeah, normally those would be central factors in determining a future career.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

On F1 Race Stars the game, what the frig is a Jump Boost and how do I do one?

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    So here's a random question that hopefully someone can answer: Is there a specific name that is given to the study of country histories? Such as the politics behind country borders, separations and unifcations/reunifications. Or does that just come under 'history'?

(answer is probably a bit late) The name given to the study of a country's history is called a "geopolitical/geographical inquiry". As for what's studied, it tends to depend on the situation. Let's say a news organization is wanting to figure out why a certain foreign politician is running a country. They'd then hire a team to find out why.
    ~Currently own all gen 6 games, Old-school DS: (4597-0364-2569) New-school/Battlin' DS: (4055-5677-3071), current 6th gen UU record: 56W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, non-OU tier supporter, speed-breeder, and steam enthusiast.
        Spoiler:- Current Gen 6 shinies:

Sorry to be a bit frank here, but I always get a sore bum on long car journeys and I've got another one coming up. Does anyone have any tips? I've tried sitting on a cushion, but it doesn't really work...

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Page 95 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast