Page 101 of 113 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 2824

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post
    Yes! It did work! I've bought another pair of headphones and so far it works quite good.
    How do i say the verb overdue in a passive form in english? Is it used in this tense at all?
    Overdue is not a verb - it is an adjective. So you can't put it into passive like that. (Tell me if you don't know the meaning, though I assume you do).

As a side not, you can't say "it works good" - the word good cannot be used as an adverb, though you will often hear it in colloquial speech. If you want to use good as an adverb, you must use "well" instead. So it would be: "It works well."

Hope I helped and that you don't mind me correcting the first sentence - I know you're trying to learn English, so I thought in this case it would be helpful.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by SoundofMadness View Post
    The saying "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" leads one to believe that indeed a woodchuck cannot chuck wood, if it cannot chuck wood, then why is it called a woodchuck?
    The term "woodchuck" came from the Native American word for groundhog, "wuchak". I guess to European settlers, that sounded like "woodchuck", so that's what they started calling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    Overdue is not a verb - it is an adjective. So you can't put it into passive like that. (Tell me if you don't know the meaning, though I assume you do).

As a side not, you can't say "it works good" - the word good cannot be used as an adverb, though you will often hear it in colloquial speech. If you want to use good as an adverb, you must use "well" instead. So it would be: "It works well."

Hope I helped and that you don't mind me correcting the first sentence - I know you're trying to learn English, so I thought in this case it would be helpful.

EDIT: See my post that is two below this one.
    Last edited by varanus_komodoensis; 20th August 2013 at 11:15 PM.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    To add to this, the past tense of "overdue" is "overdone", but like Roseheart said, "overdue" isn't a verb, it's an adjective, so you have to put a variation of the verb "to be" in front of it. For example:

"My homework IS overdue."

or

"I left dinner in the oven too long last night, and it WAS overdone."
    Overdone is the past tense of overdo. As in to do something to excess or too much. Overdue is an unrelated adjective needed or expected for some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    Overdone is the past tense of overdo. As in to do something to excess or too much. Overdue is an unrelated adjective needed or expected for some time.
    You're right; this is a prime example of why I shouldn't write posts when I'm tired. "Overdue" is an adjective meaning that something is past its expected time of arrival. "Overdo" means to do something in excess of what is expected. The past tense of "overDO" is "overDONE". There is no past tense of "overdue" because it's an adjective, not a verb.

When you use the term "overdo", though, you usually have to have a conjugated version of the verb "to be" in front of it.

I can't believe I said that yesterday. Thanks for catching it.

Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    You're right; this is a prime example of why I shouldn't write posts when I'm tired. "Overdue" is an adjective meaning that something is past its expected time of arrival. "Overdo" means to do something in excess of what is expected. The past tense of "overDO" is "overDONE". There is no past tense of "overdue" because it's an adjective, not a verb.

When you use the term "overdo", though, you usually have to have a conjugated version of the verb "to be" in front of it.

I can't believe I said that yesterday. Thanks for catching it.
    And then in that case, the passive would be: "It is overdone" in present or "it is being overdone". The reason I didn't notice the possible mix-up, was because here we pronounce "overdue" as "overdjoo", and whereas in (some parts of?) America it is a homophone to "overdo".
    Last edited by Roseheart95; 21st August 2013 at 9:30 AM.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Does anybody know any good products for beard trimming and the like? I'm thinking of starting to grow one now, but have no idea where to start.

Star-Lord

Okay, so I've been saving up for a 3DS XL, and I know in the end it's up to me, but if it were up to you, personally (whoever reads this), would you go for the Nintendo 2DS instead, which is about a Ł66 difference in total, since you don't need to buy a charger for it? What I'm kind of asking is, for those of you who do have a 3DS, how much do you think the 3D effect really makes a game, and if you could go back before having bought a 3DS XL with that knowledge, and a 2DS was released at the same time, would you buy that instead?
    Last edited by Roseheart95; 28th August 2013 at 9:10 PM.

My Animelist

It's not just the 3D. It's also the size and feel to it. Personnaly, if you have the money and plan on carrying it around, get a 3ds. If not, get a 2DS and use the rest to buy a game.

What is the big deal with te "thigh gap" ? Why do people obsess over it...I mean I thought that everybody had one...well I have a small one and I thought it was the case for everybody...
    3DS Friend Code: 2895 6298 8523. PM me if you add me ^^
    I am a grass type with Ivysaur, Pansage and Gogoat
    Looking for Friend Safaris with : Vullaby, Inkay, Swirlix, Emolga, Galvantula, Tranquill, tropius, Maractus, Nincada, Ariados, Muk, Foretress, Bronzong, Excadrill, Krabby, Azumarill
    PM me if you have one of those

Restarted X: Currently going to Café Lysandre
    For those who added me before try to connect more often, I'll also try in order to get you back on my PSS

Little brother Friend code: 4270-2625-9622
    Grass safari: Oddish-Petilil-??? (He has 5 badges currently)
    please help him fill his friend safari

Quote Originally Posted by Ze DreamGirl View Post
    What is the big deal with te "thigh gap" ? Why do people obsess over it...I mean I thought that everybody had one...well I have a small one and I thought it was the case for everybody...
    I think it's all part of the beauty myth. People who have a thigh gap are skinny, and therefore "pretty". So thigh gap=skinny=pretty. If you have a thigh gap, you're pretty.

Which is completely false, by the way. You don't have to have a thigh gap to be pretty.

-------

I have always been wondering about this. What is the proper way to spell no one? Is it no-one, no one, and I have even seeen it as noone, before. so which is it?
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

Quote Originally Posted by Ze DreamGirl View Post
    Two words, It's seexxyyy
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMuse View Post
    I have always been wondering about this. What is the proper way to spell no one? Is it no-one, no one, and I have even seeen it as noone, before. so which is it?
    According to Wiktionary, it's either no-one or no one, and noone is "non-standard" (so basically, don't use it). If in doubt, just use nobody instead.

EDIT:

I've got another question myself - basically I've had this mild pain in my shoulder for about two-three weeks now, and I don't know what it is. Just wondered if anybody had any ideas/advice about how to make it go away.
    Last edited by Roseheart95; 29th August 2013 at 5:33 PM.

My Animelist

Does anyone know the most recently released Apple laptop that contains a disk drive? I know that the newest ones do not have them, but I'm having a hard time finding when exactly they were phased out.

Hello curious reader! You know that at some point you've wished you could battle like a trainer in the Pokémon anime. You probably dismissed the thought as a passing fantasy, but did you know the Pokémon Anime Style Battling League allows you to do just that? It's true! Read up on how to get started, and if you have any questions the Q/A thread awaits.
    Hope to see you around the PASBL!

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post

I don't mind at all. I'm even waiting for corrections. Thanks for paying attention

This question is posed to the Canadian users:

I plan to visit Canada soon, and I would like to know a bit about Canada. Are there any places that I should really avoid (for instance, areas with high crime rates)? About how cold/warm does it get there (I live in the South Eastern United States, so I'm not quite used to low temperatures)? Are there any attractions that you really recommend?

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, and I am aware that I could just look at travel sites about Canada. However, I would rather hear the answers to my questions from people who actually live there.
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

How do I review movies/games?
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

Quote Originally Posted by Lucario188 View Post
    Does anyone know the most recently released Apple laptop that contains a disk drive? I know that the newest ones do not have them, but I'm having a hard time finding when exactly they were phased out.
    They still sell them, they're just not advertised.. my old macbook pro died in May and I was able to purchase a brand new replacement with a disk drive.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye721 View Post
    How do I review movies/games?
    You write/type down what you think of them.

This is more of a question about the site itself, so I'm not sure if this is the right place, but why do posts get deleted? I'm pretty sure that only a few days ago I had 3000+ posts.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyy View Post
    This is more of a question about the site itself, so I'm not sure if this is the right place, but why do posts get deleted? I'm pretty sure that only a few days ago I had 3000+ posts.
    Almost everyone's post count went down a few days ago. I'm assuming that one of the more popular subforums or stickied threads was changed to "posts do not count towards postcount". No idea which one it was, though.

-------

It really depends on the place where the Posts are. If an Thread Creator or A Mod (or higher) deletes a thread, all your posts in that Thread are deleted. If your post are deleted you usually get a Infraction with it. In some cases, a thread where you post gets moved to a Subforum where post count doesn't count anymore.

I'd personally suggest you don't worry about Post counts. Plus there isn't any "new" stuff you can unlock. I know that two of the more recent Mods RN and Hydros have High Posts counts, but the number isn't what we're looking at.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

The same happened to me. I lost almost eighty posts.

Is there anyway to make a personal hotspot hosted by an iphone support the 3ds' wifi settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    It really depends on the place where the Posts are. If an Thread Creator or A Mod (or higher) deletes a thread, all your posts in that Thread are deleted. If your post are deleted you usually get a Infraction with it. In some cases, a thread where you post gets moved to a Subforum where post count doesn't count anymore.

I'd personally suggest you don't worry about Post counts. Plus there isn't any "new" stuff you can unlock. I know that two of the more recent Mods RN and Hydros have High Posts counts, but the number isn't what we're looking at.
    All right, thanks. I usually don't pay much attention to post count, but minus eighty posts was surprising.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Page 101 of 113 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast