Page 102 of 113 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2824

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyy View Post
    All right, thanks. I usually don't pay much attention to post count, but minus eighty posts was surprising.
    Actually, I discovered since I posted that there was a "hickup" in a "hidden" Competitive section that still counted, and many posts were lost, and Apparently are now restored, I'd rather not say much more, as most of this was "out of my section."
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

I'm looking for the name of a book, Th book was about a kid who got blown up, but instead of dying he get's transported into another dimension, later on he meets a girl who got blown up in a chemistry lab accident in the same town he used to live in.
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

How come the light bulb in my refrigerator is warm? Shouldn't it be at least cold-ish like everything else inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh View Post
    How come the light bulb in my refrigerator is warm? Shouldn't it be at least cold-ish like everything else inside?
    Because the light runs on electricity and electricity produces heat. It should be warmer close to where the coils are and colder where the top of the lightbulb is, because the electricity is centralized in the coils.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    Because the light runs on electricity and electricity produces heat. It should be warmer close to where the coils are and colder where the top of the lightbulb is, because the electricity is centralized in the coils.
    Okay, I was gonna ask how it could be so warm when the light is off like 90% of the time, but I tested for myself that the bulb warms up pretty quickly upon opening the refrigerator door. I figured it wouldn't produce so much heat. Thanks.

Can people who are born mute be 'cured' through medical procedures and actually gain the ability to speak? I had been reading a story earlier with a character being born mute, so I was just wondering.

Thanks to Astral Shadow for the button!

So, one of my teachers at school suggested I look at courses in the USA for university, just to see if there was anything that caught my fancy. Here (England), we have a website where you can search for courses and it will come up with all the UK universities that offer them. I was just wondering if there was a similar website for courses in the USA? Thanks

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Of Twilight View Post
    Can people who are born mute be 'cured' through medical procedures and actually gain the ability to speak? I had been reading a story earlier with a character being born mute, so I was just wondering.
    This speech disorder does have a few variations, so you may want to be more specific. They could be suffering from 'Selective Mutism', which makes the person unable to speak in certain situations due to an anxiety disorder. Or they could have been born with issues relating to the parts of the human body that are required for speech. As far as I know, Selective Mutism could be treated in a similar fashion to treating any mental illnesses, however I'm not sure if they've got a cure for those born with damaged vocal parts.

Former OSL Grass Gym Leader #8

[IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dnk3es.jpg[/IMG]

Once again I'm after a new private-server of MU Online to start playing.
    In most if not all the lists of private servers which I encouter, there are rows of INs and OUTs. What do they mean? Does anybody know? I understand that the lower the server is rated, these numbers are also low. but what exactly do they mean?

Is there a cheap and simple app I can install on my iPod Touch to enable the sending and receiving of text messages? I'm in the UK, if it matters.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Is there a cheap and simple app I can install on my iPod Touch to enable the sending and receiving of text messages? I'm in the UK, if it matters.
    We're talking SMS Messages, right? As far I can tell, there are few but they can be expensive. Normally, You need a SIM card and a Mobile phone to Send and Receive Messages. You may be able to get apps that connect to a iPhone and use that phone SMS funtions.

As for just being able to send Text messages of some sort. I believe built in Messenger works well. Many other Free apps work well for sending Messages to other people on their service. Facebook and Skype are just two common ones.

Skype is the most commonly used app that can send receive SMS messages, but most people use the Free Skype to Skype Messages or Skype to Facebook. However, the SMS functions are more likey will cost more than a cheap Mobile and a Pay as you go sim. (From Tesco a Phone Ł9.00 +Ł10 credit. At least 100 messages, at the rate of 10p Per SMS message. The Last SMS I send was to get a Free Cinema Ticket)
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    So, one of my teachers at school suggested I look at courses in the USA for university, just to see if there was anything that caught my fancy. Here (England), we have a website where you can search for courses and it will come up with all the UK universities that offer them. I was just wondering if there was a similar website for courses in the USA? Thanks
    I live in the USA and as far as I know, we don't have a website like that. I was certainly never told about one when I was in high school or college. I also did a quick Google search just now and nothing like that came up for me.

Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    My sister texts her friends with an app called Kik. It's basically the same thing as texting but you need to have wifi available.
    Last edited by moot; 29th September 2013 at 2:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kabzy View Post
    This speech disorder does have a few variations, so you may want to be more specific. They could be suffering from 'Selective Mutism', which makes the person unable to speak in certain situations due to an anxiety disorder. Or they could have been born with issues relating to the parts of the human body that are required for speech. As far as I know, Selective Mutism could be treated in a similar fashion to treating any mental illnesses, however I'm not sure if they've got a cure for those born with damaged vocal parts.
    I see...that's what I thought. Thank you.

So...I have another question. My choir teacher wants me to sing a solo of 'A dream is what your heart makes', a cinderalla song, but I have a different version. The song starts with 'When I was a little girl'...I can't find a video of it anywhere either. Can anyone else? I'm getting really frustrated, especially since my teacher expects me to learn it all on my own. -_- His motto is, "I don't practice solos, I rehearse them with my students..." How the heck does that help? It doesn't help that he's intimidating as hell too, with a possible bipolar disorder to boot. Thoughts?

Thanks to Astral Shadow for the button!

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Of Twilight View Post
    I see...that's what I thought. Thank you.

So...I have another question. My choir teacher wants me to sing a solo of 'A dream is what your heart makes', a cinderalla song, but I have a different version. The song starts with 'When I was a little girl'...I can't find a video of it anywhere either. Can anyone else? I'm getting really frustrated, especially since my teacher expects me to learn it all on my own. -_- His motto is, "I don't practice solos, I rehearse them with my students..." How the heck does that help? It doesn't help that he's intimidating as hell too, with a possible bipolar disorder to boot. Thoughts?
    I don't know any versions of "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" that have "When I was a little girl" in them. However, I DO know one song that starts with "When I was just a little girl". It's called "Qué Será Será" by Doris Day. You can find a YouTube video of it here. Personally, I prefer the Pink Martini version, which you can see a video of here.

These are two different songs, however - "Qué Será Será" and "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" are not the same thing. You might want to make sure that you have the right songs for your class before you learn the wrong one.

-------

When they say 8 out of 10 cats UNCUT, what do they mean by UNCUT? Is it just stronger language or something?
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the amazing banner.

Pokegyms Ice leader. Masters league Steel leader.

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fighting View Post
    When they say 8 out of 10 cats UNCUT, what do they mean by UNCUT? Is it just stronger language or something?
    Most of the time for these shows they edit for several reasons. Time is often a reason for edits in these shows, also sometimes "questionable commentary" is often not suitable for a earlier showing, and may need to be removed.

The Uncut episodes are longer than the "standard" episodes.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    Most of the time for these shows they edit for several reasons. Time is often a reason for edits in these shows, also sometimes "questionable commentary" is often not suitable for a earlier showing, and may need to be removed.

The Uncut episodes are longer than the "standard" episodes.
    Thx for the reply
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the amazing banner.

Pokegyms Ice leader. Masters league Steel leader.

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
    I'm taking an English exam tomorrow (English is not my native language) and I'm not too sure about how these two sentences work out.

Say it in another way:

1. He did not apologize, so I did not forgive him. (start with IF)
    If he apologized, I would've forgiven him. OR
    If he had apologized, I would've forgiven him.

2. She will not do it unless you make her. (start with ONLY IF)
    Only if you make her, will she do it. OR
    Only if you make her, she will do it.
    1. Both of these sentences are correct.

2. The second sentence is correct.

-------

Thanks! I deleted my message because I actually had more I wasn't sure about and I figured I should just rewrite the entire thing ^^;; Here are the questions and then my guesses, please correct them if anything is wrong.

Say it in another way:

1. He believes that reckless drivers should be heavily fined. (start with RECKLESS DRIVERS)
    Reckless drivers are believed that they should be heavily fined.

2. He did not know her address, so he did not visit her. (start with NOT)
    Not knowing her address was his reason for not visiting her.

3. I do not mind being alone at weekends. (start with I DO NOT MIND and use ON)
    I do not mind loneliness on weekends.

4. It was proved that the three girls had nothing to do with the missing items. (start with IT WAS PROVED THAT and use OF)
    It was proved that the girls were innocent of the case of the missing items.

5. I have not seen Christine since Easter. (start with I and use LAST)
    I last saw Christine on Easter.

6. Why do we not invite Sue for dinner? (start with HE and use INVITING)
    He should think about inviting Sue for dinner. OR
    He should think of inviting Sue for dinner. OR
    He should consider inviting Sue for dinner. (I kind of found a loophole around the "think about/of" problem but the entire sentence looked off to me in the first place...)

I think that's it. Also mind that our professor considers American English incorrect and wants us to use present/past perfect rather than just past simple (eg. "before I came here, I had spoken to Jack" rather than "before I came here, I spoke to Jack").
    Last edited by xerxes; 2nd October 2013 at 6:58 PM.

Thanks! I deleted my message because I actually had more I wasn't sure about and I figured I should just rewrite the entire thing ^^;; Here are the questions and then my guesses, please correct them if anything is wrong.

1. He believes that reckless drivers should be heavily fined. (start with RECKLESS DRIVERS)

4. It was proved that the three girls had nothing to do with the missing items. (start with IT WAS PROVED THAT and use OF)

He should consider inviting Sue for dinner. (I kind of found a loophole around the "think about/of" problem but the entire sentence looked off to me in the first place...)

I think that's it. Also mind that our professor considers American English incorrect and wants us to use present/past perfect rather than just past simple (eg. "before I came here, I had spoken to Jack" rather than "before I came here, I spoke to Jack").
    Well, I live in America and I speak American English, so I'll do my best to help you. But past simple is considered grammatically correct here, so if I accidentally tell you it's correct, I'm sorry. But I'll try not to

Say it in another way:

This is not correct. It should be "Reckless drivers, he believes, should be heavily fined."

Correct

Correct. I don't know about British people, but Americans would say "on", not "at" in the first place. We don't say "at weekends".

This is grammatically correct, but it sounds really weird. If you use "of the case", an American would assume that you're talking about an actual legal matter. A more "normal" way of saying this would be:

"It was proved that the three girls knew nothing of the missing items."

Correct

All three are correct!

-------

Correct. I don't know about British people, but Americans would say "on", not "at" in the first place. We don't say "at weekends".
    I know right? I just wanted to write "I do not mind being alone on weekends" but I figured it couldn't be THAT simple.

"Reckless drivers, he believes, should be heavily fined."
    "It was proved that the three girls knew nothing of the missing items."
    These DO make more sense than they did before

All three are correct!
    oh my xD GO ME

Thanks again, you're awesome :'D

I know right? I just wanted to write "I do not mind being alone on weekends" but I figured it couldn't be THAT simple.

These DO make more sense than they did before

oh my xD GO ME

Thanks again, you're awesome :'D
    You're awesome! You speak English really well!

-------

You're awesome! You speak English really well!
    I actually consider myself pretty good, it's just that present and past perfect throw me off sometimes, so I'm never really completely sure when it comes to conditionals and reported speech. xD;; It's rather silly that the professor doesn't accept American English considering it's completely fine in the high school exit exam.

Shan't there be a focused post for requests for nickname-changes on October? I remember it used to be held every October and April.

Page 102 of 113 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast