Page 19 of 110 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by jb08045 View Post
    Read the old chat thread. It's a secrect.
    Alright thanks. I've been wondering about it for some time now.

Actually after reading that I might of sounded kinda rude. I meant read the old Chat Thread because someone put the meaning in there.(Just incase you misunderstood).

Quote Originally Posted by Hox View Post
    How well does a tattoo cover a surgical scar?
    Depends on how big the scar is... if we're talking about a tiny scar, a big tattoo might cover it. If we're talking like a scar across your entire side, then no, I do not think a tattoo would cover that.

Here's the thing with tattoos, though. They are permanent. FOREVER. Scars may or may not be, depending on their severity. Even laser removal does not completely remove tattoos. Tattoos are expensive, and laser removal is even MORE expensive. So if you want a tattoo, think really really hard about it. Get a picture of EXACTLY what you want and look at it every single day for three months. And if you still want it after that, then THINK about getting it. And think about the fact that when you're old and wrinkly and your skin is saggy, you will still have that tattoo..and it will be old and wrinkly and saggy. I suggest you go meet an old person with a tattoo and then decide if you want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post
    Question about my computer again: Today I woke up to it well not working. I will try to explain this much as I can. The first time I turned it on I wasn't paying attention since I just woke up and only had one hearing aid in (Yes I am hearing impaired), was trying to find the other one when I noticed the computer didn't turn on like it should have, so walking to it and trying to hear with one hearing aid I could hear a lot of noises, looked like the computer was on but nothing came up on the monitor.
    So Big Nutter is better at this than me, and I would follow his advice. But the way I see it, there are only two ways you are going to find out what's wrong with your computer:

1. Turn it on and tell us what happens, risking it overheating and frying the motherboard (should that actually be what's wrong with it).

2. Don't turn it on and take it to a repair shop and pay $50 just for them to look at it, but potentially saving your motherboard.

There are such things as viruses that will cause your computer to fail to boot, but I haven't seen one of those since the 90s. I'm sure they're still out there, though, but you'd have to download some pretty disgraceful things to get one.

My trade shop is now open!
    Offering: HA Pokemon, Egg Moves, Shinies, Legends, and Events! I have game-exclusive MEGA STONES and ENIGMA BERRIES available for trade!

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.

Can it be stated truthfully that "The fact that George Mallory was the first to conquer the summit of Everest is supported by all but direct evidence?"
    THIS DAY IS GOING TO BE PERFECT
    Because love's in bloom~

"After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate

question: why does so many users joke about their location?? posts: 253 location: secret island. or sometimes more rude, MIND YOUR OWN BUISSNESS! I mean is this supposed to be funny?? why are people so paranoid about telling people where they live? "ok he lives in UK, now i know exactly where he is so i can kill him"
    i mean come on, its a FUN thing to know... Also its useful to know in threads like, "where do i buy shoes?" well damnit, that really depends on where you live...

My FC (Y): 3995-6945-2972 (Fairy) ||Banner Credit to Sworn Metalhead!
    Trainer's Card ||
    http://9gag.com/chrysaries || Pokememes/Memebase||Battle FC: 3182 4147 0411
    Quote Originally Posted by 0LdSk00lMew View Post
    I'm not going to lie you have the best stuff around xD

Quote Originally Posted by hwoarang97 View Post
    question: why does so many users joke about their location?? posts: 253 location: secret island. or sometimes more rude, MIND YOUR OWN BUISSNESS! I mean is this supposed to be funny?? why are people so paranoid about telling people where they live? "ok he lives in UK, now i know exactly where he is so i can kill him"
    i mean come on, its a FUN thing to know... Also its useful to know in threads like, "where do i buy shoes?" well damnit, that really depends on where you live...
    Most people don't like giving their location out over the Internet (figures), so they use it as another place to be witty, much like user titles. According to the Mods, the main purpose is for people to state their time zone. Honestly, I doesn't really matter outside of the Trade forum and clans.
    But I agree, it would be nice if it were taken more seriously. -K

Because I don't know you and I don't want anyone to know where I live.

Plus what does it matter to you where I live?

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Because I don't know you and I don't want anyone to know where I live.

Plus what does it matter to you where I live?
    lol Did you even read more than the first line of his post? He clearly stated that no one will know your whereabouts just because you revealed which country you live in. Which is true. He also then said that it can be useful to know which country someone is in if they're asking specific questions. He makes a good point, but then this is a Pokémon forum, and not everyone will fill out details seriously.

xxx

It has always been my lifelong dream to live on Dinosaur Planet. Don't deny me my deluded pleasures.
    Last edited by Gelatino95; 2nd February 2012 at 12:51 AM.

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    It has always been my lifelong dream to live on Dinosaur Planet. Don't deny me my deluded pleasures.
    If Serebii had a "Like" button, I would give you a hundred likes for this comment.

Offering: HA Pokemon, Egg Moves, Shinies, Legends, and Events! I have game-exclusive MEGA STONES and ENIGMA BERRIES available for trade!

Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.

Glad to see I'm not the only one here who's a fan of Star Fox Adventures.

I hope you don't mind if I quote you in my sig. I can't just leave a golden comment like this out to be forgotten.

WHY WON't MY DS CONNECT TO NINTENDO WI-FI?
    It connects to the regular wi-fi fine (browser, etc.)
    It is a brand-new 3ds.
    My Black is what's giving me trouble.
    The error code is "52011"
    I really want to connect to the Dream World, and before our old router blew a fuse or something and had to be replaced, it worked fine.
    R.I.P. Kelley. I love you, now go play with Jesus. You were so sweet. And remember, someday you'll see us again. 2007-2011

I will not be on very often anymore... keeping up my own site now.

Quote Originally Posted by Notalwaysbalckanddwhite View Post
    WHY WON't MY DS CONNECT TO NINTENDO WI-FI?
    It connects to the regular wi-fi fine (browser, etc.)
    It is a brand-new 3ds.
    My Black is what's giving me trouble.
    The error code is "52011"
    I really want to connect to the Dream World, and before our old router blew a fuse or something and had to be replaced, it worked fine.
    I don't have a 3DS, but here's my go at this.

If you just got a new router, you're going to need to set it up like you did the old one. I have heard a few rumors of Black/White not agreeing with 3DSes, but you're going to have to ask someone with a 3DS how true those are.

Error 52011 means that your 3DS can't obtain an IP address.

I Googled how to fix this, and I found this on Nintendo's website (it's long, so I put it in a spoiler):

Spoiler:- error 52011:

If you need to use any of their links, you'll need to visit Nintendo's website.

A science question- Can solids be acidic?

Quote Originally Posted by Earthia100 View Post
    Yes.

10characters
    "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
    Gandalf to Saruman

Default just general questions i have been thinking about

Now something i have noticed lately about 9/11, everyone knows what happend and all that but the thing is, why honor it? i dont see japanese honoring the day where we almost wiped them off the face of the earth. now i get this patriotism thing, but the thing is, i am not proudful and people often get offended when i say "i dont care what happend, it was more than 10 years ago get over it people die every day and you dont care about them" and other things like that. oh and yes i am a conspiracy theorist, i have my reasons for what i believe, the most simple of you will understand that the government is not to be trusted. sopa was an example, and the funny thing is, conspiracy theorists were talking about it months, even a few years, before it was brought into action. so why is thinking for yourself so bad? i found it so hard to make friends in school because i always thought differently than everyone else, hell i never even had a girlfriend which i am sure most everyone here has dated. anyways, im going to go play on my 360, hope i didnt offend anyone.
    own all pokemon games from red to white

pokemon white fc:3955-0240-3243

I don't calculate stat values I don't use cheating devices I don't breed my way to perfection and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are,and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)
    I don't care about EVs. If you don't either, copy and paste this into your sig. (Started by Shiny Metagross)

To go into more detail about this, as science is my area of expertise, any form of matter can be acidic, basic, or neutral. Normally, we think of acids or bases in terms of liquids, so let's start there. Every liquid has a freezing point and a boiling point. Water, a pH-neutral liquid, has a freezing point of 0 degrees Celsius, where it becomes a solid, and a boiling point of 100 degrees Celsius, where it becomes a gas.

This is true for all liquids. Take hydrogen chloride (hydrochloric acid, or HCl), for example. It has a pH of 1. If you get it on your skin it will burn you. It will eat through your clothes. That's how potent it is. HCl is a liquid at room temperature, as you probably know. But it freezes at -17.4 degrees Celsius, where it becomes a solid, and it boils at 108.6 degrees Celsius, where it becomes a gas.

Therefore, solids, liquids, and gases can all be acidic, basic, or neutral.
    Last edited by varanus_komodoensis; 3rd February 2012 at 3:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garren View Post
    Now something i have noticed lately about 9/11, everyone knows what happend and all that but the thing is, why honor it? i dont see japanese honoring the day where we almost wiped them off the face of the earth. now i get this patriotism thing, but the thing is, i am not proudful and people often get offended when i say "i dont care what happend, it was more than 10 years ago get over it people die every day and you dont care about them" and other things like that. oh and yes i am a conspiracy theorist, i have my reasons for what i believe, the most simple of you will understand that the government is not to be trusted. sopa was an example, and the funny thing is, conspiracy theorists were talking about it months, even a few years, before it was brought into action. so why is thinking for yourself so bad? i found it so hard to make friends in school because i always thought differently than everyone else, hell i never even had a girlfriend which i am sure most everyone here has dated. anyways, im going to go play on my 360, hope i didnt offend anyone.
    I'm going to ignore half of the ignorant crap you just said, and assume you weren't old enough to remember that day. The fact that so many people died tragically, and people were watching it live, is reason enough to remember it. Just like people remember the attack on Pearl Harbor, simply because they were both surprise attacks that caused massive casualties is the reason they are remembered. I'm also assuming you're not from Japan, because within a 3 minute Google search, there are quite a few sites that beg to differ that Japan 'forgot about the day where we almost wiped them off the Earth'.

tl;dr, 3,000 deaths on the same day is much more important to remember than 1 in a day, and there are three thousand reasons why.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    To go into more detail about this, as science is my area of expertise, any form of matter can be acidic, basic, or neutral. Normally, we think of acids or bases in terms of liquids, so let's start there. Every liquid has a freezing point and a boiling point. Water, a pH-neutral liquid, has a freezing point of 0 degrees Celsius, where it becomes a solid, and a boiling point of 100 degrees Celsius, where it becomes a gas.

This is true for all liquids. Take hydrogen chloride (hydrochloric acid, or HCl), for example. It has a pH of 1. If you get it on your skin it will burn you. It will eat through your clothes. That's how potent it is. HCl is a liquid at room temperature, as you probably know. But it freezes at -17.4 degrees Celsius, where it becomes a solid, and it boils at 108.6 degrees Celsius, where it becomes a gas.

Furthermore, I believe pH is determined by the concentration of hydrogen ions (acid) or hydroxyl groups OH (base) in a substance. Most of the time, these are found in liquids because they usually comprise soluble substances, but I suppose they could be found in a different phase. Maybe.

Also, one thing I've been curious about regarding this: does molarity/molality affect pH? 50 M HCl is bound to be more corrosive than .1 M HCl, but does the actual pH of the solution change at all?
    Last edited by Gelatino95; 3rd February 2012 at 3:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxyman1167 View Post
    I'm going to ignore half of the ignorant crap you just said, and assume you weren't old enough to remember that day. The fact that so many people died tragically, and people were watching it live, is reason enough to remember it. Just like people remember the attack on Pearl Harbor, simply because they were both surprise attacks that caused massive casualties is the reason they are remembered. I'm also assuming you're not from Japan, because within a 3 minute Google search, there are quite a few sites that beg to differ that Japan 'forgot about the day where we almost wiped them off the Earth'.

tl;dr, 3,000 deaths on the same day is much more important to remember than 1 in a day, and there are three thousand reasons why.
    and i am going to ignore all the crap you wrote since i am so ignorant. at least they dont make freaking coins and sell them to thier own people >.> also i am going to assume that you love our government and our contry who loves making other races suffer.

I don't calculate stat values I don't use cheating devices I don't breed my way to perfection and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are,and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)
    I don't care about EVs. If you don't either, copy and paste this into your sig. (Started by Shiny Metagross)

and i am going to ignore all the crap you wrote since i am so ignorant. at least they dont make freaking coins and sell them to thier own people >.> also i am going to assume that you love our government and our contry who loves making other races suffer.
    I don't love our government, I barely like them, and I'd like to hear where this 'country makes other races suffer'.

Granted, those coins are sold to the red blooded patriots, I'll give you that.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Quote Originally Posted by foxyman1167 View Post
    I don't love our government, I barely like them, and I'd like to hear where this 'country makes other races suffer'.

Granted, those coins are sold to the red blooded patriots, I'll give you that.
    uh have you seen any native americans around? cause i sure dont.

i found it so hard to make friends in school because i always thought differently than everyone else, hell i never even had a girlfriend which i am sure most everyone here has dated. anyways, im going to go play on my 360, hope i didnt offend anyone.
    Serves you right.

Technically, no. If they stay solid, they simply can't have any acidic or basic properties (nor any other properties that might be interesting, for that matter). But many things can dissolve into the moisture on your skin or evaporate into the air, for example, so it's not really safe to think of them as "non-acidic", even though they technically are.

Basically, don't listen to the other respondents.

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post

You are alarmingly wrong about many things. First off, things that aren't aqueous aren't acidic/basic (I hope that, by some offhand chance, you're simply referring to the fact that chemicals generally won't stay in those states except for in extreme circumstances). Secondly, hydrochloric acid, as with all acids, doesn't "have" a pH. 1M HCl will have a pH of 1, but that's the only concentration. And lastly, according to what I just looked up, your data on its melting and boiling points is completely wrong (-114 and -85 C, respectively).

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Furthermore, I believe pH is determined by the concentration of hydrogen ions (acid) or hydroxyl groups OH (base) in a substance. Most of the time, these are found in liquids because they usually comprise soluble substances, but I suppose they could be found in a different phase. Maybe.

Also, one thing I've been curious about regarding this: does molarity/molality affect pH? 50 M HCl is bound to be more corrosive than .1 M HCl, but does the actual pH of the solution change at all?
    You're correct. As I said above , the pH is completely dependent on concentration. It's sort of what defines it (specifically, it's based on how much H+ is being released or taken up. Obviously, more moles of something acidic = more H+ in total (per unit of volume)).

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    You are alarmingly wrong about many things. First off, things that aren't aqueous aren't acidic/basic (I hope that, by some offhand chance, you're simply referring to the fact that chemicals generally won't stay in those states except for in extreme circumstances). Secondly, hydrochloric acid, as with all acids, doesn't "have" a pH. 1M HCl will have a pH of 1, but that's the only concentration. And lastly, according to what I just looked up, your data on its melting and boiling points is completely wrong (-114 and -85 C, respective

You're correct. As I said above , the pH is completely dependent on concentration. It's sort of what defines it (specifically, it's based on how much H+ is being released or taken up. Obviously, more moles of something acidic = more H+ in total (per unit of volume)).

Technically, no. If they stay solid, they simply can't have any acidic or basic properties (nor any other properties that might be interesting, for that matter). But many things can dissolve into the moisture on your skin or evaporate into the air, for example, so it's not really safe to think of them as "non-acidic", even though they technically are.ly).

That is what I'm referring to. It's late here and I'm not explaining myself very well; I'm sorry. Although something is not "acidic" or "basic" unless it's in solution, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't think of it as non-acidic or non-basic. All of those H+ and OH- molecules are still there and they will still cause damage to you if you breathe them or touch them because they change forms so rapidly. If you eat frozen HCl, I would say that yes, it still counts as acidic.

And although, yes, the pH does depend on concentration, HCl is typically labeled as having a pH of 1, because that's its pH in its typical .1M concentration (-log(.1)=1). 1M HCl will have a pH of 0 because -log(1)=0. And I looked up the pH, boiling, and freezing points in a chemical book; wherever you looked them up must be using a different concentration than the chemical book where I looked them up (as boiling and freezing points are also dependent on concentration). It's not something that we should really waste our time arguing about. Although I am curious as to how your book says that HCl freezes at -114 C and boils at -85 C, yet it is a liquid at room temperature at 23 C...

uh have you seen any native americans around? cause i sure dont.
    I suggest you go to a Native American reservation, of which there are many in this country, and then tell me that Native Americans don't exist.
    Last edited by varanus_komodoensis; 3rd February 2012 at 4:47 AM.

Page 19 of 110 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast