Page 20 of 113 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    I suggest you go to a Native American reservation, of which there are many in this country, and then tell me that Native Americans don't exist.
    S/he isn't referring to them being non-existant, but rather how they were mistreated.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Quote Originally Posted by foxyman1167 View Post
    S/he isn't referring to them being non-existant, but rather how they were mistreated.
    "Exist" is probably not the word I should have used. Native Americans are everywhere. There are thousands of people who have Native American blood in them. Just because someone doesn't look Native American doesn't mean that they aren't. When you walk down the street, it is very likely that you will pass by someone with Native American blood, just like it is possible that you will pass someone with German or Irish or Chinese or African blood.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis
    And although, yes, the pH does depend on concentration, HCl is typically labeled as having a pH of 1, because that's its pH in its typical .1M concentration (-log(.1)=1). 1M HCl will have a pH of 0 because -log(1)=0. And I looked up the pH, boiling, and freezing points in a chemical book; wherever you looked them up must be using a different concentration than the chemical book where I looked them up (as boiling and freezing points are also dependent on concentration). It's not something that we should really waste our time arguing about. Although I am curious as to how your book says that HCl freezes at -114 C and boils at -85 C, yet it is a liquid at room temperature at 23 C...
    Yeah, the pH of 1M hydrochloric acid is definitely 0 (for some reason, without a calculator, I couldn't remind myself that log 1 = 0). But I fail to understand why any source would give values for any sort of aqueous solution because, as you said, its properties are contingent on its concentration (unless there are listed values for many concentrations, because knowing just one is nearly useless). Moreover, why on earth would such a weak concentration as 0.1M be used as a standard? That's ludicrous. And the boiling/melting points I gave are for hydrogen chloride; yours were for some arbitrary concentration of hydrochloric acid (actually, I took the liberty of looking it up, and as it turns out, at least the boiling point is for its azeotropic concentration, which explains why it's so uncannily close to water, but still). They're totally different chemicals, and you shouldn't use their names interchangeably.

"Exist" is probably not the word I should have used. Native Americans are everywhere. There are thousands of people who have Native American blood in them. Just because someone doesn't look Native American doesn't mean that they aren't. When you walk down the street, it is very likely that you will pass by someone with Native American blood, just like it is possible that you will pass someone with German or Irish or Chinese or African blood.
    Never mind the fact that their culture has been thoroughly destroyed, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by garren View Post
    Now something i have noticed lately about 9/11, everyone knows what happend and all that but the thing is, why honor it? i dont see japanese honoring the day where we almost wiped them off the face of the earth. now i get this patriotism thing, but the thing is, i am not proudful and people often get offended when i say "i dont care what happend, it was more than 10 years ago get over it people die every day and you dont care about them" and other things like that. oh and yes i am a conspiracy theorist, i have my reasons for what i believe, the most simple of you will understand that the government is not to be trusted. sopa was an example, and the funny thing is, conspiracy theorists were talking about it months, even a few years, before it was brought into action. so why is thinking for yourself so bad? i found it so hard to make friends in school because i always thought differently than everyone else, hell i never even had a girlfriend which i am sure most everyone here has dated. anyways, im going to go play on my 360, hope i didnt offend anyone.
    now i get this patriotism thing,
    If you got it then you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

Anyway, while you may not be seeing the Japanese celebrating us killing their people in mass, we honor the day Pearl Harbor was attacked just like we do 9/11. It's the same exact thing.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

What's the difference between a nerd and a geek?

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    What's the difference between a nerd and a geek?
    I think my friends Chuck and Beans do the best job of explaining this:

I can't get the image any bigger, sorry.

Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Okay, I've got another unrelated question:

When someone has bipolar disorder, does it need to have a specific cause? Like, something in a person's life which causes frequent mood changes? Or is it just a result of mental instability and doesn't necessarily need any stimulus?

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Okay, I've got another unrelated question:

When someone has bipolar disorder, does it need to have a specific cause? Like, something in a person's life which causes frequent mood changes? Or is it just a result of mental instability and doesn't necessarily need any stimulus?
    i dont think they know the exact reason for the switch. but like its gots lots to do with changing brain chemicals and that can sometimes be affected by whats going on in the person's life. but there isnt like something that would make a person switch between the moods every time.

Quote Originally Posted by pikapikachiu View Post
    i dont think they know the exact reason for the switch. but like its gots lots to do with changing brain chemicals and that can sometimes be affected by whats going on in the person's life. but there isnt like something that would make a person switch between the moods every time.
    Although I'm sure this is true, most mental disorders also do have triggers that are different for every person. I'm not bipolar, and I don't know anyone who is, nor am I a psychiatrist/medical doctor, but from the limited amount I know about this, although there need not be a trigger to instigate the mood changes, there are people who do have triggers.

-------

Although I'm sure this is true, most mental disorders also do have triggers that are different for every person. I'm not bipolar, and I don't know anyone who is, nor am I a psychiatrist/medical doctor, but from the limited amount I know about this, although there need not be a trigger to instigate the mood changes, there are people who do have triggers.
    well there are some things that can trigger an episode or depression or mania. im just saying there isnt a trigger that always causes them to go into one. like a person who has too much work due the next day can trigger an episode, but wont do it every time he has too much work to do the next day.

well there are some things that can trigger an episode or depression or mania. im just saying there isnt a trigger that always causes them to go into one. like a person who has too much work due the next day can trigger an episode, but wont do it every time he has too much work to do the next day.
    That's pretty much what I'm saying, too.

-------

That's pretty much what I'm saying, too.
    ahh ok. just wanted to make sure we seeing what each other is saying.

but i have a question of my own. so im trying to find a pair of headsets around $50-$80. something that i can toss in my bag and isnt like huge. also something with good sound quality too. any good suggestions?? thanks

but i have a question of my own. so im trying to find a pair of headsets around $50-$80. something that i can toss in my bag and isnt like huge. also something with good sound quality too. any good suggestions?? thanks
    I currently have a set of Phillips headphones, think earbuds but with a piece that goes over the ear to keep it in place. They help if you like moving around (like, I go running with them), but the piece also functions as a bass plate, and gets some of the deeper sound to be more prominent. I got my pair for around $30. Skullcandy also makes a lot of good quality headphones (both buds and overear) that are fairly close to your price range. I do recommend them, I had a pair for a couple years before they finally started to break.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

I've got a couple unrelated questions:

-In the Star Wars movie The Phantom Menace does Darth Maul ever speak?

-Is it possible to create silver/metallic text in Powerpoint? I'm giving a presentation in a materials class this week and wanted to use it, if possible.

Edit: I got something to work for me. In PP '07, when you select text, a 'drawing tools' option comes up at the top. Select 'wordart styles', and you can apply various looks, including gray metal, white metal and gold (about 30 different options).
    Last edited by PsychicPsycho; 5th February 2012 at 11:35 PM.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post

-Is it possible to create silver/metallic text in Powerpoint? I'm giving a presentation in a materials class this week and wanted to use it, if possible.
    Tbh, i was actually thinking about this as well, a while ago. I'm pretty sure he has a short conversation with Darth Sideous. Something about revealing themsleves to the Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post

Powerpoint 2007?

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

how much is chipped playstion 1 worth? its the big ol grey one. and it has some pirated games with it.

My FC (Y): 3995-6945-2972 (Fairy) ||Banner Credit to Sworn Metalhead!
    Trainer's Card ||
    http://9gag.com/chrysaries || Pokememes/Memebase||Battle FC: 3182 4147 0411
    Quote Originally Posted by 0LdSk00lMew View Post
    I'm not going to lie you have the best stuff around xD

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    Powerpoint 2007?
    Yeah. I figured it out though. I just needed to be more thorough in my search.
    Quote Originally Posted by hwoarang97 View Post
    how much is chipped playstion 1 worth? its the big ol grey one. and it has some pirated games with it.
    I personally wouldn't pay anything for it. You might check e-bay/amazon or something to see what comparable things are going for, or call a used game store. I know a used ps2 costs about 50 U.S.$ around here, so don't get your hopes up too much.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Where do babies come from?

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluePorygon View Post
    Where do babies come from?
    Where don't they come from?

Do you like postcount?

Quote Originally Posted by acetrainerelliot View Post
    Where don't they come from?

Do you like postcount?
    I love postcount tyvm!

Where was Chuck Norris born?

And how many people did Tiger cheat on his wife with?

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

Well, when a mommy and a daddy love eachother very much...
    And that's as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluePorygon View Post
    I love postcount tyvm!

Where was Chuck Norris born?

And how many people did Tiger cheat on his wife with?
    Aw that's cute.

And Oklahoma, United States.

Tiger cheated like 7 times? Idk..

-

Are colours different in everyone's eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by acetrainerelliot View Post
    Are colours different in everyone's eyes?
    Do you mean does everyone potentially see colors differently?

Because this is one of my FAVORITE questions ever. And you know, we will never ever know if the thing I see when I see green is the same thing that you see when you see green. It's a really difficult concept to wrap your head around, but there's no way to prove that everyone sees the same colors.

And that's just humans. We know for sure that birds can see into the ultraviolet spectrum, which means that they see colors that we don't even have names for. Color perception is such a great concept to debate about

-------

Do you mean does everyone potentially see colors differently?

Because this is one of my FAVORITE questions ever. And you know, we will never ever know if the thing I see when I see green is the same thing that you see when you see green. It's a really difficult concept to wrap your head around, but there's no way to prove that everyone sees the same colors.

And that's just humans. We know for sure that birds can see into the ultraviolet spectrum, which means that they see colors that we don't even have names for. Color perception is such a great concept to debate about
    Yeah, like what others see are different but you can't really deny it because you agree on it but it's different in their eyes. xD

Page 20 of 113 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast