Page 21 of 113 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 2823

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

  1. #501
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    Do you mean does everyone potentially see colors differently?

    Because this is one of my FAVORITE questions ever. And you know, we will never ever know if the thing I see when I see green is the same thing that you see when you see green. It's a really difficult concept to wrap your head around, but there's no way to prove that everyone sees the same colors.

    And that's just humans. We know for sure that birds can see into the ultraviolet spectrum, which means that they see colors that we don't even have names for. Color perception is such a great concept to debate about
    Depends on how you define color. If people are looking at the same wavelength of visible light, then they would technically be looking at the same color in my opinion. However, because people can only perceive for themselves and not for others, we'll never know if the interpretation of a color is exactly the same. It's really just impractical to even consider; it doesn't matter whether people see colors differently because we can all identify colors the same way. If I look at something yellow, and someone else sees it in a different way, we can still both identify it as yellow because that's what we as humans have learned.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  2. #502
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Depends on how you define color. If people are looking at the same wavelength of visible light, then they would technically be looking at the same color in my opinion. However, because people can only perceive for themselves and not for others, we'll never know if the interpretation of a color is exactly the same. It's really just impractical to even consider; it doesn't matter whether people see colors differently because we can all identify colors the same way. If I look at something yellow, and someone else sees it in a different way, we can still both identify it as yellow because that's what we as humans have learned.
    Right! We are totally on the same page about this. But even if it is impractical to consider, to me, it's just so much fun to imagine. Because what if my yellow is radically different than your yellow? No, it doesn't really matter (as this is the case with color-blind people), but if we saw two radically different colors, what a mind-blowing thought that is! I would want to see the world through everyone's eyes! And think of how many colors there would be that I would never see!

    Color isn't something that you can just make up. You can't create a new color that no one has ever seen before. You can't even imagine a new color. And you can't describe color to someone who can't see it. That's what makes color so baffling. If you see yellow differently than I, then there's no way for you to describe to me what it looks like. And that just blows my mind away.

    3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    The reason it's not something you can just make up is because "color" the way we understand it was fabricated by humans to help explain the different perception we receive caused by a difference in wavelengths. Have you ever read The Giver? It's an atrocious book, but it did contain some nice thoughts on this subject. In the book, nobody in the world was taught about what colors are, so it just never came up and everybody just saw in monochrome. Obviously people don't really see in monochrome, but they might as well if they don't have a practical way of identifying the different colors they see. And even though the subject is so complicated, colors are such an easy concept to learn. As long as all people can identify a certain wavelength of light as a certain color, then that's all that matters because then everybody can communicate the concept.

    Wow, this is a pretty deep concept.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  4. #504
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    The amount of intelligence in this eye-colour debate is making my mind hurt.
    Looking for trades lemme know what game and what Pokemon you have.

    Currenlty playing: Soul Silver.

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salvy View Post
    The amount of intelligence in this eye-colour debate is making my mind hurt.
    It's not that hard to understand. And I wouldn't exactly call it a debate; more like an exchange of information. Nobody's really taking opposing sides here, and that's necessary for a debate to exist.

    All you have to know is that color is caused by a certain wavelength of visible light. For example, red has a lover wavelength than violet. Think of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. The colors first on that list have a lower wavelength and the wavelength increases as the list goes on. Beyond violet, there are other waves such as x-rays which have such a high wavelength that they're not visible to the human eye. Likewise, there are waves lower than red light such as radio waves which are outside the range of visible light because they're so low wavelength. There's a very small set of wavelengths which constitute visible light, or the waves that we can actually see, and these are the colors that we're familiar with.

    Imagine what it would be like to see wavelengths outside the visible spectrum. The earth is constantly bombarded by ultraviolet waves from the sun, so being able to see in that spectrum would completely change the way that people see. There are likely some animals on earth which see UV light, but too bad we'll never know what it's like to see like them.
    Last edited by Gelatino95; 7th February 2012 at 1:27 AM.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  6. #506
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    The reason it's not something you can just make up is because "color" the way we understand it was fabricated by humans to help explain the different perception we receive caused by a difference in wavelengths. Have you ever read The Giver? It's an atrocious book, but it did contain some nice thoughts on this subject. In the book, nobody in the world was taught about what colors are, so it just never came up and everybody just saw in monochrome. Obviously people don't really see in monochrome, but they might as well if they don't have a practical way of identifying the different colors they see. And even though the subject is so complicated, colors are such an easy concept to learn. As long as all people can identify a certain wavelength of light as a certain color, then that's all that matters because then everybody can communicate the concept.

    Wow, this is a pretty deep concept.
    My friend, The Giver is one of my favorite books ever. But I had a different perception of what the color issue was in the book. The way that I read it, I think that the Elders purposely bred color perception out of the human genes. That way, no one could persecute against anyone else for having a different color eye or skin or hair (although you would think that they could still see the grayscale, but I think that was beyond the author's point). I took it as that everyone literally saw in a grayscale, and when Jonas saw the red of the apple and Fiona's hair, he couldn't find a way to describe it because color cannot be described. So he just said "Did you see the apple change?"

    When you say "As long as all people can identify a certain wavelength of light as a certain color, then that's all that matters because then everybody can communicate the concept.", I agree with you perfectly. But the mind game I like to play with myself is what if we all see different perceptions of the visible spectrum - we would have no way of knowing, because there is no way to describe what "yellow" looks like.

    3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    into that good night
    Posts
    10,415

    Default

    Ah! Here's where I come into the discussion.

    The idea of colors being different to each individual is fascinating to me too, but because it would mean that the difference lies in the persons rather than the environment, and specifically their neurophysiology. In order for two brains to interpret the same stimuli of a given wavelength of electromagnetic radiation differently, there'd have to be a physical (or in the form of chemical, perhaps) difference between them. And if that were the case, maybe, just maybe, we would have a foothold on eventually identifying the possible different experiences of identical perceptual stimuli!

    On a slightly different note, color fascinated people a long time ago, apparently. If you think you know what color is, read the Meno.

    Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    Ah! Here's where I come into the discussion.

    The idea of colors being different to each individual is fascinating to me too, but because it would mean that the difference lies in the persons rather than the environment, and specifically their neurophysiology. In order for two brains to interpret the same stimuli of a given wavelength of electromagnetic radiation differently, there'd have to be a physical (or in the form of chemical, perhaps) difference between them. And if that were the case, maybe, just maybe, we would have a foothold on eventually identifying the possible different experiences of identical perceptual stimuli!

    On a slightly different note, color fascinated people a long time ago, apparently. If you think you know what color is, read the Meno.
    I've never heard of the Meno...I'll have to investigate that. And your description of the possibility of the differing neurophysiology is fascinating! I hope that one day, we have a way to clearly map this kind of brain pattern.

    3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    Well, it's unlikely that all humans' eyes could be tuned to the same exact frequency, meaning there's likely going to be some difference in the way people observe color, however negligible. Even then, the question of negligibility is an abstract one since there's no way to measure the different ways by which people perceive colors. However, if I ever end up majoring in biology, maybe someday I can study the cone cells of people's eyes and figure this out for myself.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  10. #510
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    However, if I ever end up majoring in biology, maybe someday I can study the cone cells of people's eyes and figure this out for myself.
    DO IT. I will love you forever.

    3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

  11. #511
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    10 blocks above bedrock
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Why do some people think Olive Garden is mediocre?

  12. #512
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metagrody6 View Post
    Why do some people think Olive Garden is mediocre?
    You mean the restaurant? I love it with my heart and soul. I couldn't possibly understand why anybody would think ill of that glorious place. Maybe they didn't eat enough bread sticks.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  13. #513
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metagrody6 View Post
    Why do some people think Olive Garden is mediocre?
    In my experience, people who think Olive Garden is mediocre are either true Italians or they are very, very good at cooking real Italian food. I wouldn't know this, as I am Irish and German/Polish and I have never been to Italy, but apparently Olive Garden has "Americanized" Italian food...so people who are used to the real thing don't like Olive Garden.

    I, on the other hand, believe that Olive Garden laces their food with crack. Especially those breadsticks....I would risk my life for their breadsticks.

    3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

  14. #514
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    In my experience, people who think Olive Garden is mediocre are either true Italians or they are very, very good at cooking real Italian food. I wouldn't know this, as I am Irish and German/Polish and I have never been to Italy, but apparently Olive Garden has "Americanized" Italian food...so people who are used to the real thing don't like Olive Garden.

    I, on the other hand, believe that Olive Garden laces their food with crack. Especially those breadsticks....I would risk my life for their breadsticks.
    same reason I don't eat at "Americanized" Chinese restaurant and has to go all the way to Chinatown.

    Now, I am Chinese myself, and I have never heard of "orange chicken" or "lemon chicken" until I came to the US.... LOL

    I guess same could be apply to true Mexicans and Mexican food, [country natives] and [their food]

    (another one of my pet peeves is mustard and mayonnaise on sushi, seriously?)

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  15. #515
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    I AM FAIR SKINNED
    Posts
    182

    Default

    (another one of my pet peeves is mustard and mayonnaise on sushi, seriously?)
    That's kinda pretentious. Who cares? It's food. Not some sacred cultural icon that should be forever untainted, oh woe. You eat it, chew it, at the end of the day it comes squeaking out of your tail pipe into the crapper. As to why people choose to pop a braincell over it I'll never know.

    I only nitpick this because I was eating sushi once, and my European friend from Germany saw me eating the sushi with my hands, and taking bites out of it. Which, apparently was the wrong way to eat it. He freaking flipped out at me saying I was insulting asian culture or blah blah blah. It's just like seriously, **** off. I'll eat what I want and how I want.

    Getting all up in a tissie over sushi. Jeeeeeesus Christ.
    Last edited by Hox; 7th February 2012 at 7:29 AM.

  16. #516
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Does anyone know specifically McDonald's and/or Burger King's animal welfare standards? I've heard rumours about cows on conveyor belts etc. but have no idea if they're true.

    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    "For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

    My Animelist


  17. #517
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hox View Post
    That's kinda pretentious. Who cares? It's food. Not some sacred cultural icon that should be forever untainted, oh woe. You eat it, chew it, at the end of the day it comes squeaking out of your tail pipe into the crapper. As to why people choose to pop a braincell over it I'll never know.

    I only nitpick this because I was eating sushi once, and my European friend from Germany saw me eating the sushi with my hands, and taking bites out of it. Which, apparently was the wrong way to eat it. He freaking flipped out at me saying I was insulting asian culture or blah blah blah. It's just like seriously, **** off. I'll eat what I want and how I want.

    Getting all up in a tissie over sushi. Jeeeeeesus Christ.
    the only thing is, if i were to eat at home, i probably don't follow cultural rules.

    but if i were to eat out in public, I would. Because the act of eating it as close to cultural rules as possible show a degree of understanding of different culture.

    it's like, would you be offended if a foreigner eats burger with fork and knife?

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  18. #518
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hox View Post
    You eat it, chew it, at the end of the day it comes squeaking out of your tail pipe into the crapper.
    Interesting imagery here.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  19. #519
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,860

    Default

    Does anyone know some well known flashlight brands?

        Spoiler:- "Alpha Sapphire Progress:

  20. #520
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    10 blocks above bedrock
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quick I told my mom that I need a shamrock shake to be cool but she doesn't believe me what do I do

  21. #521
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    So uh... I started working out in second sem of college, and I am getting this weird feeling that my right hand does more work than my left.
    I am right-handed, so that is a logical explanation, but how do I even the work done?

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  22. #522
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    So uh... I started working out in second sem of college, and I am getting this weird feeling that my right hand does more work than my left.
    I am right-handed, so that is a logical explanation, but how do I even the work done?
    It's probably the power of suggestion. Try focusing on something else and forget about your weird hand problem because it's probably nothing bad anyway. Just don't get distracted by it.

    I am right-handed, so that is a logical explanation, but how do I even the work done?
    Didn't understand this sentence. Looks like you forgot a verb in your third clause.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  23. #523
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    It's probably the power of suggestion. Try focusing on something else and forget about your weird hand problem because it's probably nothing bad anyway. Just don't get distracted by it.



    Didn't understand this sentence. Looks like you forgot a verb in your third clause.
    if by third clause you meant "but how do i even the work done?"

    I think both "do" and "even" should be the verb, while "work" is the accusative case, and "done" is the adjective describing the work

    so, therefore, I am asking,
    "how", question word
    "do", the main verb
    "I", nominative case
    "even", another verb, I forget what it is call, not linking verb, something else
    "the" article
    "work" accusative case noun
    "done" adjective

    ..... somewhere I probably has a light grammar flaw description.

    ====
    now, what power of suggestion?
    I don't make myself work my right hand too hard, the body already is used to one hand doing more work than the other, I just want to ask how can I even them up...

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  24. #524
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dinosaur Planet
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    Ohhhh I didn't know you were using "even" as a verb. That makes sense. And by power of suggestion, I mean you're subconsciously (or maybe even consciously) deluding yourself into thinking that your right hand is more buff than your left or whatever you're talking about. Just lift weights with your left hand for a while and you'll feel satisfied. Or try chin-ups, where you're using both hands.

    If you're right-handed, then it doesn't even matter if you work out your right hand more than your left. It's supposed to be that way.

    ^ Click this for good times ^


  25. #525
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Ohhhh I didn't know you were using "even" as a verb. That makes sense. And by power of suggestion, I mean you're subconsciously (or maybe even consciously) deluding yourself into thinking that your right hand is more buff than your left or whatever you're talking about. Just lift weights with your left hand for a while and you'll feel satisfied. Or try chin-ups, where you're using both hands.

    If you're right-handed, then it doesn't even matter if you work out your right hand more than your left. It's supposed to be that way.
    lol, my somewhat grammar nazi side has some power. //personally not big on capitalizing words as long as i know what the person means and not some confusing words that means one thing capitalized, and another uncapitzalied

    right now I am trying narrow grip pull up and some pull thing for the back muscle, now both of those use biceps a bit, and it feels uneven, heh.

    Same goes for legs, I do squats, calves raise, and the right side just feels more "used", lol.

    I guess it evens out after a while? or will one side continues to be dominant?

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

Page 21 of 113 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •