Page 45 of 113 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2824

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Kacho has the right idea; I'm questioning how learned behaviour becomes natural born instinct within an animal. It could be through genetic mutation but neurological impulses and behaviour definitely aren't inherited.
    like humans, animals' brains need time to develop, probably faster than human teens anyways :P

Quote Originally Posted by PerseusRad View Post
    That really does make sense. It was like I said. The ancestors learn and the offspring know more about what is dangerous.

Did you know that kid shows are not always accurate? :O
    the offspring doens't learn either. *facepalm*
    through natural selection, even behaviors are selected.
    If something as random as a tsunami destroys shallow-end (ie: think a few hundred Km) of a certain population of ocean specie that lives near shore, and those deeper-end (ie: think a few thousands Km) population of the species survive, then you will have more population of that species that live ~x000's Km away from any shores.

sure, animals can be "trained" to respond to different things like police dogs with smelling drugs, but in natural environment setting, they smell for food and danger likely.

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

Kacho has the right idea; I'm questioning how learned behaviour becomes natural born instinct within an animal. It could be through genetic mutation but neurological impulses and behaviour definitely aren't inherited.
    Learned behavior does not become natural born instinct. That would support Lamarckism. Natural selection operates purely by chance based on genetic mutations; if a mutation is favorable for a specimen, then the specimen will be able to reproduce and pass on these traits, but more often than not, the mutation will not be favorable because it's completely random (due to its nature being based on anomalies in DNA repication)

Creatures have instinct because they received a genetic mutation that gave them that instinct purely by chance. This is why evolution is so slow; it is purely random.

^ Click this for good times ^

Did you read the above post? Anyway, I need you to explain that. In great detail. I understand, but I need to be sure. *Annoyed*
    Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco
    Listen to PerseusRad.
    http://i.imgur.com/EUkIomS.jpg

I see. Well explained folks, and thanks.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

Did you read the above post? Anyway, I need you to explain that. In great detail. I understand, but I need to be sure. *Annoyed*
    Do you know how natural selection works? The development of instincts is the same, except it has to do with behavioral traits rather than physical traits.

Also, if you're only 12, then just wait until you learn this in school instead of trying to get us to explain it to you.

I cannot edit, but I understand now.
    Shinies:

Listen to PerseusRad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    Natural selection operates purely by chance based on genetic mutations; if a mutation is favorable for a specimen, then the specimen will be able to reproduce and pass on these traits, but more often than not, the mutation will not be favorable because it's completely random (due to its nature being based on anomalies in DNA repication)
    1) mutation of genes in multicellular organisms do not happen as much as you think (I blame sci fi misleading crap)
    (note: unicellulars like bacterias and viruses have shorter gene lengths, so they replicate quite fast and tend to make a few mistake here and there and thus mutate faster)
    2) Natural Selection operates more directly as a result of fertilization and genetic exchange. (not counting bacterias and self-breed/pollinate/divide creatures) and what the environment brings to the creature
    That is the only way genes are pass down and exchanged, thus whichever genes the baby comes out, and whatever happens in the environment determines if the offspring survives
    (so even if the offspring has the suckiest genes, if it is a) just lucky enough to have low predators, b) capable to get all the food and rest it needed, and c) find a mate and produce successfully, then it would still be able to pass down its sucky genes to next generation)

Also, if you're only 12, then just wait until you learn this in school instead of trying to get us to explain it to you.
    LOL. true true. stay in school kids.
    you never know when your brain finish developing and have this epiphany of everything learned in school.
    Last edited by Kacho; 3rd April 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Flying Safari:

Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    2) Natural Selection operates more directly as a result of fertilization and genetic exchange. (not counting bacterias and self-breed/pollinate/divide creatures) and what the environment brings to the creature
    Does the environment have an effect on genetic mutations? I didn't think so. I know that the mutations occur at the time of fertilization, but genetic traits aren't affected by the environment.

That is the only way genes are pass down and exchanged, thus whichever genes the baby comes out, and whatever happens in the environment determines if the offspring survives
    (so even if the offspring has the suckiest genes, if it is a) just lucky enough to have low predators, b) capable to get all the food and rest it needed, and c) find a mate and produce successfully, then it would still be able to pass down its sucky genes to next generation)
    Exactly. Like I said, evolution operates completely by chance. The creatures that receive poor genetic mutations still have a chance to reproduce and pass on their terrible genes (though this is a low chance and could very well result in the extinction of the species)

-_-' Anyway. How much is one dollar of American money worth in Canada?
    Shinies:

Listen to PerseusRad.

Does the environment have an effect on genetic mutations? I didn't think so. I know that the mutations occur at the time of fertilization, but genetic traits aren't affected by the environment.
    yeah, it does.
    skin cancer is caused by sun.
    people get bombed by nuclear bomb in russia/northern asia and japan some years ago have mutations problem.
    there's also studies now on products that we're using (ie: plstics, etc.) that may oxidize or changes form of some super small amount of molecules to something else that could get in our food and harm the body.
    also, think smoke and drugs, a lot of it

fertilization is totally a different process.
    mutations could occur before fertilization, during, or even after the offspring is being developed.

basically, every time a cell might divide, there's some really really slight chance of mutation, probably less chance than finding a shiny.

-_-' Anyway. How much is one dollar of American money worth in Canada?
    I am not an economics person, but, what year? with or without inflation?
    :P

Flying Safari:

Year 2012. Without inflation. :P
    Shinies:

Listen to PerseusRad.

Year 2012. Without inflation. :P
    from Bank of Canada:
    http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exc...s-rate-lookup/
    Today's date April 3, 2012

Low 2012-04-03 $1 CAN = 1.0073 US
    High 2012-04-03 $1 CAN = 1.0109 US

no, today hardly ended, but whatever.

Flying Safari:

Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    yeah, it does.
    skin cancer is caused by sun.
    people get bombed by nuclear bomb in russia/northern asia and japan some years ago have mutations problem.
    there's also studies now on products that we're using (ie: plstics, etc.) that may oxidize or changes form of some super small amount of molecules to something else that could get in our food and harm the body.
    also, think smoke and drugs, a lot of it

fertilization is totally a different process.
    mutations could occur before fertilization, during, or even after the offspring is being developed.

basically, every time a cell might divide, there's some really really slight chance of mutation, probably less chance than finding a shiny.
    Just to make sure I have this clear:

Cancer is caused by the malfunctioning of the cell cycle control system (I think that's what it's called). The CCCS is supposed to keep cells from further dividing if there is an accidental genetic mutation during cellular reproduction, or from one of the external sources you mentioned. Most of the time, the CCCS does its job and cells in the body remain the way they should. However, when the CCCS malfunctions for some reason, the defective cells divide and conquer and this is called cancer.

What I'm saying is that even if there is a genetic anomaly from one of these many sources, it is very likely that the CCCS will do its job and the problem will not escalate. Correct?

Thanks. What does 1 equal?

Ex.
    1 = ?
    Shinies:

Listen to PerseusRad.

Ex.
    1 = ?
    Are you asking for numerical value? Because you just gave that to us.

Cancer is caused by the malfunctioning of the cell cycle control system (I think that's what it's called). The CCCS is supposed to keep cells from further dividing if there is an accidental genetic mutation during cellular reproduction, or from one of the external sources you mentioned. Most of the time, the CCCS does its job and cells in the body remain the way they should. However, when the CCCS malfunctions for some reason, the defective cells divide and conquer and this is called cancer.

What I'm saying is that even if there is a genetic anomaly from one of these many sources, it is very likely that the CCCS will do its job and the problem will not escalate. Correct?
    you're arguing for the cancer part in this post, but then I guess I lead you off tangent.
    As far as origin of cancer goes, I am not going into it since people are still trying to figure out. LOL /serious
    (things like carcinogens, inhibitors, free radicals, oxidated chemicals etc. can make cancer more complex than we think)

but yes, normally cells have regulators to stop dividing and fix errors that could happen during cell duplication.
    (mutation could occur during mitosis or meiosis i think is what you're trying to say, but I don't remember reading about meiosis, mother to baby is possible if the mother's genes are already affected, but don't remember reading something like that)

But do you have response to the mutation about fertilization part?

EDIT: HEAT TRAINER, ok i don't like flannery, not really

Flying Safari:

Ex.
    1 = ?
    What.

1 = 1
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

Ex.
    1 = ?
    this can also be a philosophical question, not going there.
    or a symbolic question in english class, not going there.
    or political question, not going there either.
    or science question, no units.
    math question, i don't know.

or other questions.

are you referring to my table of currency exchange?

Flying Safari:

Ex.
    1 = ?

Ah I have a question. How do animals learn instinct? I mean of course it's done through selective breeding, but how do the genetic traits slowly develop to cross a gap so huge?
    Though I assume you're already satisfied with the answers, the simple way of putting it is that animals who have favorable instincts are more competitively viable in nature. If you're asking how an animal actually carries out their instinctual behaviors based on their genes alone, that would be extremely complicated and vary wildly from instance to instance. Put simply, the chemicals in their bodies tell them to. A lot of it is also self-taught, in addition to the fact that they're generally very suited to whatever it is by birthright.

Quote Originally Posted by travis174 View Post
    Thank you. I did not expect it to be that easy to get an answer
    You must be new to this whole internet thing. Did you know that you can use search engines or online dictionary websites while you're here? Even real dictionaries work (or so I've heard).

Traits acquired in life cannot be passed on to offspring. That's Lamarckism and it's been soundly disproven. Only genetic traits can be passed on.
    It's not as untrue as you think it is, actually. Though it's still based very much in genetics.

That's the gist of it. Chromosomes become shorter with each replication, and if it were to get to the point where the actual genes were being cut off instead of the nonsense on either end, the results would be unpredictable and almost certainly terrible. That's one way cancer can develop, along with those control genes being destroyed by happenstance, or growth genes being overrepresented. But as unlikely as any of these things are, with the enormous number of cellular divisions a person goes through during their lifetime, and all the other things that can wreck genes, it's almost a wonder that cancer isn't more prevalent. No proofchecking system can be perfect, but the ones on genes almost are.

And from the student lounge thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho
    need help, this is titration problem:

39 mL of a .2000 M solution of a weak base, B, is titrated with 39 mL of .2000 M of HCl. Given that the Kb of B is 6.74E-4 calculate the pH of the solution

the answer is 5.91

I can't figure out how to do since both substance completely neutralize each other :/
    I tried this, and are you certain the pH is 5.91? I kept getting 5.76.

You guys did not know. Disappointing.

1/3=.333 cont.
    .333 cont. x 3= .999 cont

Therefore 1 = .999 cont.
    Shinies:

Listen to PerseusRad.

You guys did not know. Disappointing.

1/3=.333 cont.
    .333 cont. x 3= .999 cont

Therefore 1 = .999 cont.
    No. You tried to express 1/3 as a decimal but that's impossible, therefore 1/3 =/= .333 cont

If you substitute .333 cont with its "equivalent" (according to you) then:

1/3 x 3 = 1

Next time you try to look smart, make sure there are no flaws in your plan
    Last edited by Gelatino95; 4th April 2012 at 12:41 AM.

No, it technically equals .333 cont, so if you multiply it by 3 it equals .999 continuous. Which then equals 1.
    Shinies:

Listen to PerseusRad.

No, it technically equals .333 cont, so if you multiply it by 3 it equals .999 continuous. Which then equals 1.
    1/3 does not equal .333 cont for the following reasons:

Assume 1/3 = .333 cont
    Assume 2/3 = .666 cont

1/3 + 2/3 = 1

however,

.333 cont + .666 cont = .999 cont

1 is not numerically equal to .999 in the same way that 2/3 is not numerically equal to .666 and 1/3 is not numerically equal to .333. I can argue it as many ways as you want but that will always be true.

Theoretically speaking, .999 cont is the closest you can ever get to 1 but that doesn't make it equal

Trust me, I'm older than you. For your own sake, you should just stop arguing now because you're making yourself look like a fool. Math isn't like the debates that you find in the debate forum. There is always a definite answer and you got it wrong.

On Youtube...... Look up........ ".999 cont. equals 1. Watch it........ then come back.
    Shinies:

Listen to PerseusRad.

Page 45 of 113 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast