Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    Young-Old Love Orgy
    Thanks

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    What is YOLO
    You Only Live Once.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Thanks but I already got an answer

Thanks but I already got an answer
    YOLO means "You only live once". The first answer you got was false. But I won't lie, until a couple of weeks ago, I thought that YOLO had something to do with yogurt.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Why do snakes sometimes swallow their own tails? D:
    "When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
    - James Matthew Barrie (Peter Pan)

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    YOLO means "You only live once". The first answer you got was false. But I won't lie, until a couple of weeks ago, I thought that YOLO had something to do with yogurt.
    You and your closed-mind, conformist attitude. Lighten up, will ya? There's no "right" answer, the way textbooks and the education system are brainwashing you to believe because acronyms can mean anything that'll fit. Open up your mind and live life already.

Quote Originally Posted by atypicalorca View Post
    That's ridiculous snakes never swallow their own tails.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    You and your closed-mind, conformist attitude. Lighten up, will ya? There's no "right" answer, the way textbooks and the education system are brainwashing you to believe because acronyms can mean anything that'll fit. Open up your mind and live life already.
    With that attitude, I'm surprised that you conform to the dictionary definitions of words. Or to the laws of physics and mathematics. Although you should never let others shape your opinions or beliefs, there are many instances in life where you will find that people conform to a choice because time and history have shown that it is the best choice to make. People don't conform just to conform. Many times, people all make the same choice about something because it is the best choice to make. You don't drive the wrong way on a road to make a statement about how unique and individualistic you are, because you will die. People all do the same thing on the road not because they are sheep, but because it is the fastest, most efficient way for everyone to get where they need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by atypicalorca View Post
    Although it is very rare for snakes to swallow their own tails (it has happened before, most likely with the snakes on the lower-IQ spectrum), the symbol of a snake swallowing its own tail is an ancient symbol of fertility and infinity. In real life, when a snake swallows its own tail, it is believed that the animal mistook its tail for food. But that almost never happens, ever.

Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

the symbol of a snake swallowing its own tail is an ancient symbol of fertility and infinity.
    Exactly right, it's called an Ouroboros

An Ancient Treasure, a Terrible Price. Take the Risk, Eat the World
    (Final Chapter added 05-15-2014)

-Thanks to PopPrincess_Lyra for the banner above, and Sworn Metalhead for the banner below -

All Hail the Six Kings...
    Chapter One added (12-07-2014)

What is YOLO
    Urban Dictionary says it means "You Obviously Lack Originality." Looks like you have three answers now.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

So girls keep asking me for my number, but after having a girlfriend for a year I'm wonderikng if this answer seems kinda jerkish; I'm sorry, I have a girlfriend. So is their a better way to put it?

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post
    So girls keep asking me for my number, but after having a girlfriend for a year I'm wonderikng if this answer seems kinda jerkish; I'm sorry, I have a girlfriend. So is their a better way to put it?
    They're not asking you to be your girlfriend

So yeah, it is really jerkish

Just give them your number

They're not asking you to be your girlfriend

So yeah, it is really jerkish

Just give them your number
    I did that at first but, it was they were all asked to be. Plus my girlfriend is kinda protective on that front so I'd rather not talk to a hundred other girls at once.

I forgot to mention, I don't mean girls from my school that I know, I mean girls that see me walking around a store randomly

If you don't know them then don't give them your number

But don't tell them about your girlfriend. Just say that you don't give your number to people you don't know.

Because that's just common sense

Not from where/age I'm from it isn't. I'll do that next time, seems like a good idwa

On the topic of snakes swallowing their own tails...what would happen to the all anyway? After a certain point wouldn't the tail of the snake be circled around inside of itself?
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMuse View Post
    On the topic of snakes swallowing their own tails...what would happen to the all anyway? After a certain point wouldn't the tail of the snake be circled around inside of itself?
    Don't be ridiculous and irrational at the same time

Chances are the snake would either spit out its tail or digest it

Besides, how would it be able to circle around inside of itself? It's not like it has a mouth on the inside of its body

What should 7th graders know in math at the end of the school yeat if they took an Algebra 1 class?
    Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco
    Listen to PerseusRad.
    http://i.imgur.com/EUkIomS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PerseusRad View Post
    What should 7th graders know in math at the end of the school yeat if they took an Algebra 1 class?
    Well, a sample of the things you should be able to do are:

Solve radical equations: sqrt(7a − 54) − a = −6

Solve rational equations: (x + 2)/x = ((x − 1)/x) − (4x + 2)/ ((x^2) − 3x)

Divide polynomials: (x^3 − 13x^2 + 40x + 18) ÷ (x − 7)

Use the quadratic formula: 5x^2 + 9x = −4

Those are just a few of the things you should have learned. I chose more difficult problems. If you can solve those, you're doing pretty well.

-------

I was watching How I Met Your Mother and this line came up:

"You're right, woman who my wife tell me why she's famous but I keep forgetting."

And I'm curious, because I've heard sentences structured this way, with the "who" and "why" placed where they are. I've always found the sentence awkward to say, so I have to ask, is it structurally and grammatically correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post

"You're right, woman who my wife tell me why she's famous but I keep forgetting."

And I'm curious, because I've heard sentences structured this way, with the "who" and "why" placed where they are. I've always found the sentence awkward to say, so I have to ask, is it structurally and grammatically correct?
    Of course grammar and vocabulary change as their popular use changes, so maybe I'm missing something. But to be correct this sentence as I see it:

"The woman, who is my wife, tells me why she's famous, but I keep forgetting"

-You need the [s] in [tells] because it isn't in 1st person.
    - The [is] is necessary because [who is my wife] is a clause with an interrogative word, therefore it requires a verb.

I learned English grammar by trial and error, but that sentence just feels wrong in original form.

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    Well, a sample of the things you should be able to do are:Solve radical equations: sqrt(7a − 54) − a = −6Solve rational equations: (x + 2)/x = ((x − 1)/x) − (4x + 2)/ ((x^2) − 3x)Divide polynomials: (x^3 − 13x^2 + 40x + 18) ÷ (x − 7)Use the quadratic formula: 5x^2 + 9x = −4Those are just a few of the things you should have learned. I chose more difficult problems. If you can solve those, you're doing pretty well.
    I believe that is known as Algebra 2, Algebra 1 was in question.
    Signiture Underconstruction

You misinterpreted the sentence a bit. The speaker is talking to said woman. Said woman is not the speaker's wife. So the speaker is describing the woman as one who is famous, as told by his wife, but the speaker keeps forgetting.

I'm not sure I understand your issue with the "who" and the "why". How else could they be used? Anyway, if it's written as, "You're right, woman-who-my-wife-tells-me-why-she's-famous-but-I-keep-forgetting," I think it's correct English, but it'd certainly be unacceptable to use in any situation where anyone would care. There's not anything technically wrong with it that I can see, even if it's awkward as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your issue with the "who" and the "why". How else could they be used? Anyway, if it's written as, "You're right, woman-who-my-wife-tells-me-why-she's-famous-but-I-keep-forgetting," I think it's correct English, but it'd certainly be unacceptable to use in any situation where anyone would care. There's not anything technically wrong with it that I can see, even if it's awkward as hell.
    Okay. This was essentially my question. it sounds super duper awkward but so long as there's nothing wrong with the sentence itself...It's just so weird I always wondered if it was a grammatically correct way of speech or not. I guess that would mean it is, it's just really awkward.

Okay. This was essentially my question. it sounds super duper awkward but so long as there's nothing wrong with the sentence itself...It's just so weird I always wondered if it was a grammatically correct way of speech or not. I guess that would mean it is, it's just really awkward.
    GrizzlyB is right. To make it grammatically correct, you have to have the dashes, because that entire phrase is used as a single noun. The dashes are what delineate to the reader that the whole phrase needs to be considered as one subject.

-------

Page 58 of 113 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast