Page 60 of 113 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2819

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
    Could you please explain this mechanic for my sleep deprived mind? I legitimately forgot what I was supposed to be doing.
    8 cards got one of the two values. Of these, 7 comes before at least one other. The chance that there is zero cards between two specific of those cards is 1/13. The chance that there are other cards between those two specific cards is 12/13. The chance that there are other cards between all those 8 specific cards is therefore (12/13)^7 and the chance that at least two of them are next to each other is 1-(12/13)^7.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Closer, but still wrong.
    You will find a "first" correct card 8 times.
    I was working under the assumption that no specific first card was being looked for.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicJellyfish View Post
    I was working under the assumption that no specific first card was being looked for.
    Neither was I.

Quote Originally Posted by PikaPika677 View Post
    If I had a standard deck of 52 playing card and shuffled it thoroughly, what are the chances of 2 cards of my choice (suits don't count. Only the value of the cards. Like 10 and 5 or Ace and King) appearing right next to each other when I look through the deck?
    I actually think it is 1/13*(1/13+51/52)

the first card is definitely 1/13, however, the second card have the probability shifted since one of the number's repetition has been reduced from 4 to 3. but then i could be wrong lol.

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

I don't know if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not but it helped! Thanks.
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
    I could be completely screwing this up, but I think it should be something like 1/13 x 1/13 which would come out to be that 1/169 times you try this it will work.

Seriously, careful on taking my word for it.
    I think it's actually 1 in 13. Because when you look through the deck, you will always find one of the cards at some point, because it's in the deck, so the probability of finding the first card doesn't matter. The probability that's relevant is the likelihood of the other card you want being next to the first card. There's four cards of each value in the deck, so the likelihood of whatever card you want being next to the first card is 1 in 13.

For example, you look through the deck and find a king. The chance of an ace being next to it is 1 in 13.

I hope that makes sense. I have a nasty feeling that it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    8 cards got one of the two values. Of these, 7 comes before at least one other. The chance that there is zero cards between two specific of those cards is 1/13. The chance that there are other cards between those two specific cards is 12/13. The chance that there are other cards between all those 8 specific cards is therefore (12/13)^7 and the chance that at least two of them are next to each other is 1-(12/13)^7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post

the first card is definitely 1/13, however, the second card have the probability shifted since one of the number's repetition has been reduced from 4 to 3. but then i could be wrong lol.
    Hmmm. I'll try to do this myself. Let's say I'm looking for a King and a Queen. There will always definitely be a King somewhere in the deck, but what are the chances of a Queen being next to one of the Kings? There are 4 Kings and 4 Queens. For the first King, there are 4 Queens vs. 44 other cards (because there are 52 cards total but I subtracted the 4 Kings and the 4 Queens). So you could have one of the 4 Queens next to the King or you could one of the other cards appear next to the King. So if I got got the 4 Queens and mixed them together with 44 cards then picked a card at random, I'd have a 1 in 11 chance of grabbing a Queen. So for the first King, there is a 1/11 chance for him to be next to a Queen.

But wait, there are 3 other Kings. All 4 Kings have a 1/11 (9.0909%) chance of being next to a Queen so even if one King is not beside a Queen, it is possible that another King is. The chances of one King not being next to a Queen is 90.9091% or .909091. So .909091^4 equals .683013. There is a 68.3013% chance that there will be no Kings next to Queens. Or you could just say there is a 31.6987% chance of at least one King appearing next to a Queen.

Did I do this right?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocketGrunt View Post
    I don't know if that was supposed to be sarcastic or not but it helped! Thanks.
    Not sarcastic at all!
    Tvtrope is like a wikipedia of most things media and entertainment.
    You see tropes you never thought existed in certain shows or anime.

Just don't get too distracted and forget to do homework.

I also use this site to pick up new shows.

Flying Safari:

Which is worse: parents who do the bare minimum for their children and then manipulate them into thinking they care so the child feels bad if they think otherwise, or parents who do the bare minimum (or nothing at all) for their children and then don't even pretend to care?

I hope that makes sense. Inspired by the time where I drove myself to the emergency room once when my entire body was in sudden extreme pain. I had to drive myself because my parents just kept arguing since neither one of them wanted to take me. Other, similar things have happened, yet they always tell me they care/love me and then ask why I don't like being around them much.

| survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |
    | he's hiding something. she just doesn't know it. |
    | on hiatus|

| love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving. |
    | chapter 1 released |

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpearl876 View Post
    Which is worse: parents who do the bare minimum for their children and then manipulate them into thinking they care so the child feels bad if they think otherwise, or parents who do the bare minimum (or nothing at all) for their children and then don't even pretend to care?

I hope that makes sense. Inspired by the time where I drove myself to the emergency room once when my entire body was in sudden extreme pain. I had to drive myself because my parents just kept arguing since neither one of them wanted to take me. Other, similar things have happened, yet they always tell me they care/love me and then ask why I don't like being around them much.
    I'd say they are equally bad, but in their own way.

Manipulative is terrible, but so is not caring at all.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by G50 View Post
    I'd say they are equally bad, but in their own way.

Manipulative is terrible, but so is not caring at all.
    Fair enough. I guess each type brings about a different set of problems for the children.

| survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |
    | he's hiding something. she just doesn't know it. |
    | on hiatus|

| love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving. |
    | chapter 1 released |

Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post

It's wrong. You also remove non-correct cards when you progress though the deck, so it evens out.

Also, I don't see how you got those numbers from that information.
    My solution is the correct one.

Hmmm. I'll try to do this myself. Let's say I'm looking for a King and a Queen. There will always definitely be a King somewhere in the deck, but what are the chances of a Queen being next to one of the Kings? There are 4 Kings and 4 Queens. For the first King, there are 4 Queens vs. 44 other cards (because there are 52 cards total but I subtracted the 4 Kings and the 4 Queens). So you could have one of the 4 Queens next to the King or you could one of the other cards appear next to the King. So if I got got the 4 Queens and mixed them together with 44 cards then picked a card at random, I'd have a 1 in 11 chance of grabbing a Queen. So for the first King, there is a 1/11 chance for him to be next to a Queen.

But wait, there are 3 other Kings. All 4 Kings have a 1/11 (9.0909%) chance of being next to a Queen so even if one King is not beside a Queen, it is possible that another King is. The chances of one King not being next to a Queen is 90.9091% or .909091. So .909091^4 equals .683013. There is a 68.3013% chance that there will be no Kings next to Queens. Or you could just say there is a 31.6987% chance of at least one King appearing next to a Queen.

Did I do this right?
    No.
    Read my solution and I'll explain further if you don't understand it.

So I happen to have a tumblr account that has gone unused sine I set it up a few weeks ago. I am thinking about becoming active on it.

My only question is what exactly is Tumblr for ?

It seems to be like a blog but with shorter posts, but I feel like I am missing something here. What exactly am I supposed to post on it ?

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    So I happen to have a tumblr account that has gone unused sine I set it up a few weeks ago. I am thinking about becoming active on it.

My only question is what exactly is Tumblr for ?

It seems to be like a blog but with shorter posts, but I feel like I am missing something here. What exactly am I supposed to post on it ?
    You just post things and re-blog posts from other people. There's not much to it really though you can find some really cool pictures if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I was looking forward to getting a Stormrunner T-shirt at Hershey Park the other day, but I didn't have enough money

Are those shirts sold on eBay

^ Click this for good times ^

If you delete your trade shop, are you allowed to make another one [for the same gen]?
    フェージングのエコー

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    I was looking forward to getting a Stormrunner T-shirt at Hershey Park the other day, but I didn't have enough money

I Googled it and searched on eBay for that, and I couldn't find it, but that doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post

http://store.hersheypa.com/hershey/a...arel-c103.aspx

It's red. Second from the bottom on the right

An Ancient Treasure, a Terrible Price. Take the Risk, Eat the World
    (Final Chapter added 05-15-2014)

-Thanks to PopPrincess_Lyra for the amazing banner-

Half of the posts here aren't questions; what's up with that?

Bleh, both the Stormrunner and Fahrenheit shirts are ugly

I'll just wait till I go to the park again

Quote Originally Posted by GonzalesTheySay View Post
    Is the Calus? or whatever he's called again?

Flying Safari:

Edit: nevermind this question. My brother was apparently lying to me that nothing happened when the system was moved- I guess it made a weird noise during movement. Unfortunately I already took the game back not knowing this and now I'll have to feel guilty about it.

I was playing a video game this afternoon. I started about 3 and at about 8:30 my brother came home with a new tv. The tv was HD, and the old one wasn't. I turned my game off and let him hook up the new tv. He then played a different video on the same system with his new tv. He didn't play for too long, and let me go back to mine. However, when I attempted to do this, the system would act like it was loading it, but then would say the disc is unreadable, despite the fact that it had only been removed from the system and set (shiny side up) on a nearby shelf.

Is there any reason this might've happened?I thought maybe changing from a regular tv to an HD might've changed something, but I doubt it. Also, is it possible the game could've been damaged if the system was on while the system was moved from being on its end to on its side?
    If I had a standard deck of 52 playing card and shuffled it thoroughly, what are the chances of 2 cards of my choice (suits don't count. Only the value of the cards. Like 10 and 5 or Ace and King) appearing right next to each other when I look through the deck?
    Of the answers given, I believe this one
    I think it's actually 1 in 13. Because when you look through the deck, you will always find one of the cards at some point, because it's in the deck, so the probability of finding the first card doesn't matter. The probability that's relevant is the likelihood of the other card you want being next to the first card. There's four cards of each value in the deck, so the likelihood of whatever card you want being next to the first card is 1 in 13.

For example, you look through the deck and find a king. The chance of an ace being next to it is 1 in 13.

I hope that makes sense. I have a nasty feeling that it doesn't.
    is closest, but isn't totally complete. For the two cards to be next to each other, two subevents need to occur. The first is finding one of the two cards you selected, the second is finding the other choosen card directly after it.

The probability of the event is the probability of the subevents multiplied by each other.

The probability of finding one of the choosen cards (subevent 1) is 100%

The probabilty of finding one of the other chosen cards directly after (subevent 2) is:

(number of the other chosen cards remaining in the deck)/(number of cards remaining in the deck)

Since the probability of subevent 1 is 100%, the probabililty of the event is the same as that of subevent 2.

For example, let's say you choose 6 and K, and the first card you pull is a K. The probability that a 6 is next is 4/51, or about 7.8%. Let's then say that the next card was not a 6, so you continue. When you pull your 20th card, you find a 6. The probability of a K being next is 3(since you already removed one)/(52-20), or 9.375%
    Last edited by PsychicPsycho; 26th May 2012 at 9:20 AM.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by Fading Echoes View Post
    If you delete your trade shop, are you allowed to make another one [for the same gen]?
    Yes- as long as you stick by Trade Shops rules.

Question:
    Is getting bleach in a cut bad?

Quote Originally Posted by GonzalesTheySay View Post
    There are also answers.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post
    Of the answers given, I believe this one
    is closest, but isn't totally complete. For the two cards to be next to each other, two subevents need to occur. The first is finding one of the two cards you selected, the second is finding the other choosen card directly after it.

The probability of the event is the probability of the subevents multiplied by each other.

The probability of finding one of the choosen cards (subevent 1) is 100%

The probabilty of finding one of the other chosen cards directly after (subevent 2) is:

(number of the other chosen cards remaining in the deck)/(number of cards remaining in the deck)

Since the probability of subevent 1 is 100%, the probabililty of the event is the same as that of subevent 2.

For example, let's say you choose 6 and K, and the first card you pull is a K. The probability that a 6 is next is 4/51, or about 7.8%. Let's then say that the next card was not a 6, so you continue. When you pull your 20th card, you find a 6. The probability of a K being next is 3(since you already removed one)/(52-20), or 9.375%
    Assume that you look through the deck from top to bottom. In a pair, I will refer to the one reached first as the first card and the other card in the pair as the second card.

The first thing to note is that there will be 7 firsts cards.

After each of these first cards, the probability of the card right after it being of the correct is 1/13. This does not change as you progress though the deck. This is because you will get cards of all values at a similar rate. In a specific example, it likely won't be at exactly the same rate, but the average of many tries will. Therefore, the chance of at least two card of those specific values being next to each other is 1-(12/13)^7.

What is the correct use of the word "legit" as a colloquial term

Quote Originally Posted by Electricbluewolf View Post
    Yes- as long as you stick by Trade Shops rules.

Question:
    Is getting bleach in a cut bad?
    Not really

As soon as you get cut your blood coagulates, making a small barrier against outside influences. Of course, prolonged exposure to any sort of liquid on a wound will result in some of it being absorbed, but as long as it's not submerged in bleach for an an extended period of time, you should be fine

An Ancient Treasure, a Terrible Price. Take the Risk, Eat the World
    (Final Chapter added 05-15-2014)

-Thanks to PopPrincess_Lyra for the amazing banner-

Page 60 of 113 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast