Page 61 of 113 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2819

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Not really

As soon as you get cut your blood coagulates, making a small barrier against outside influences. Of course, prolonged exposure to any sort of liquid on a wound will result in some of it being absorbed, but as long as it's not submerged in bleach for an an extended period of time, you should be fine
    Ah, thank you- received nasty cut on my hand, which I then spilled a large amount of bleach on. Just wondering~thanks n_n

Default A couple quick questions

Heya guys, just got a couple quick questions.

1. Does anyone know how the American Top 40 song charts are picked? Is it by like downloads? Or do they have polls? What process do the songs go through?

2. Does anyone know how the people on PokeMoshPit record their videos? Someone told me it was some device they linked with their DS and computer, so I wanted to ask if anyone knew the specifics of that.

Thanks in advance, the second one is a little more relevant.
    Pokemon White Version:
    Name - Shiri
    Chat name - TNTturtle
    FC - 0346 9068 2458
        Spoiler:- Current DWFs for trade:

Emerald monotype run #1: DARK Uprising (6 Princes of Hell) - full team at 12 hrs
    Lucifer (39) Belphagor (41) Mammon (38) Beelzebub (34) Leviathan (35) Asmodeus (39)

1) I believe how many times it is played on the radio, YouTube, Vevo, etc...

A pokemoshpit sounds like the worst kind of moshpit.

oh lol didn't know there was an actual questions thread.
    And PokeMoshPit is a youtube channel that shows wifi battles.
    Pokemon White Version:
    Name - Shiri
    Chat name - TNTturtle
    FC - 0346 9068 2458
        Spoiler:- Current DWFs for trade:

Emerald monotype run #1: DARK Uprising (6 Princes of Hell) - full team at 12 hrs
    Lucifer (39) Belphagor (41) Mammon (38) Beelzebub (34) Leviathan (35) Asmodeus (39)

How does one pronounce ç

^ Click this for good times ^

Does anyone know of any stores/businesses that repair xbox 360s and/or other video game consoles? I used to go to GameXChange, but they're closing, apparently.

Also, second question: do deaf people use sign language to laugh, or do they audibly laugh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    After each of these first cards, the probability of the card right after it being of the correct is 1/13. This does not change as you progress though the deck. This is because you will get cards of all values at a similar rate. In a specific example, it likely won't be at exactly the same rate, but the average of many tries will. Therefore, the chance of at least two card of those specific values being next to each other is 1-(12/13)^7.
    I'm not following how the probability of the card being correct is constantly 1/13. I'm also not following how you got 1-(12/13)^7, and the result (~42.89%) seems high. Plus, unless I've misunderstood you, you allow the second card to be the same as the first for a success.

At any rate, I've just sent an email with the question in question to a couple of my previous statistics teachers. Hopefully I'll get a response from one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electricbluewolf View Post
    Ah, thank you- received nasty cut on my hand, which I then spilled a large amount of bleach on. Just wondering~thanks n_n
    I think bleach is a disinfectant, so it might actually have been helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    A pokemoshpit sounds like the worst kind of moshpit.
    Especially if Snorlax was in it (or Groudon).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    How does one pronounce ç
    What the heck is that thing? It looks like an upside down 5, or maybe the symbol for damping ratio, which I believe is the greek letter zeta.
    Last edited by PsychicPsycho; 30th May 2012 at 10:18 PM.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

How does one pronounce ç
    It's pronounced as a soft 'c'.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post
    It looks like an upside down 5.
    Its a "c" with a little squiggly line under it. lol. Its French, I believe.

How does one pronounce ç
    It's a c-cedilla. Used to show a soft c where the following letter would lead to a hard c
    Such as çake would be pronounced sake. Bad example i know but the only one i could come up with off the top of my head

How do you do this problem

I can't figure it out and it's killing me

Convert this polar equation to rectangular form: r=2cosθ

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Magnegross View Post
    Srs question:

Occasionally, the skin on my head and shoulders will start to tingle and it feels really good and then it goes numb for like 10 seconds. This is triggered by certain sounds, like some people's voices, loud chewing, etc. I asked my family and friends and they said they never experienced this before.

I have no ****ing idea.

Anyone know what this is?
    i'm gonna go ahead and throw this up here again. i see a few people have this thing going on too.

i don't wanna tell my doctor because i'm 99% sure she'll just look at me and tell me i'm ****in crazy

I did a quick google search and got a lot of links about something dubbed "Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response" (ASMR).

http://www.asmr-research.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Spookz View Post
    I did a quick google search and got a lot of links about something dubbed "Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response" (ASMR).

http://www.asmr-research.org/
    oh my god thank you so much.

this looks like exactly what it is.

it happens when i listen to a particular song i like too. more reason to listen to music.

I've got an Xbox 360 arcade version (i.e. one that looks like this). It's been acting up, freezing randomly, and we're thinking about getting a new one- I believe it's called a 'slim' model (like this one). I mentioned this to a friend of mine, and he said there wasn't a way to transfer save data from a hard drive hooked into an arcade xbox to a new slim xbox. I can't believe this could be true- how can it be done?

Also, random question, probably no one will know, but how rare are the ultra rares from the DBZ and DBGT trading card game?
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

I'm not following how the probability of the card being correct is constantly 1/13. I'm also not following how you got 1-(12/13)^7, and the result (~42.89%) seems high. Plus, unless I've misunderstood you, you allow the second card to be the same as the first for a success.
    Any arbitrary card will have a 1/13 chance of being correct. I claim that there is nothing special about a card that is next to a correct card, thus making it an arbitrary card. Thinking that the chance changes as you progress though the deck because you will use up cards of correct value is misleading, because you will use up cards of the wrong value at the same rate.

Knowing that there are 7 pairs to consider and each of them have a 1/13 chance of being correct, I notice that there is a 12/13 chance of it not being correct, making the chance that none of them are correct (12/13)^7 and the chance of at least one of them being correct 1-(12/13)^7.

I've got an Xbox 360 arcade version (i.e. one that looks like this). It's been acting up, freezing randomly, and we're thinking about getting a new one- I believe it's called a 'slim' model (like this one). I mentioned this to a friend of mine, and he said there wasn't a way to transfer save data from a hard drive hooked into an arcade xbox to a new slim xbox. I can't believe this could be true- how can it be done?
    there is (or was) a cable that you can purchase that does just that.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Data-.../dp/B003S9WJ9A

Any arbitrary card will have a 1/13 chance of being correct. I claim that there is nothing special about a card that is next to a correct card, thus making it an arbitrary card. Thinking that the chance changes as you progress though the deck because you will use up cards of correct value is misleading, because you will use up cards of the wrong value at the same rate.

Knowing that there are 7 pairs to consider and each of them have a 1/13 chance of being correct, I notice that there is a 12/13 chance of it not being correct, making the chance that none of them are correct (12/13)^7 and the chance of at least one of them being correct 1-(12/13)^7.
    I got a response my from one of my teachers, in the form of an example:

There are 4 “10’s” in the deck and 8 positions adjacent to them – there are 44 remaining cards that are not “5’s”. There are 44x43x42x41x40x39x38x37 ways to fill the adjacent positions with cards that are not “5’s” out of 48x47x46x45x44x43x42x41 total ways to fill the slots – so the probability of not getting a 5 next to a 10 is (40x39x38x37)/( 48x47x46x45) = .47 – so the probability of finding the two cards adjacent to one another at least once is 1 - .47 = 53%, which means it’s pretty likely!

So I guess, of the two of us, you did a better job. I'm still surprised it could be that likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnegross View Post
    there is (or was) a cable that you can purchase that does just that.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Data-.../dp/B003S9WJ9A
    Thanks for your response. I was able to figure it out though.

I got a response my from one of my teachers, in the form of an example:

There are 4 “10’s” in the deck and 8 positions adjacent to them – there are 44 remaining cards that are not “5’s”. There are 44x43x42x41x40x39x38x37 ways to fill the adjacent positions with cards that are not “5’s” out of 48x47x46x45x44x43x42x41 total ways to fill the slots – so the probability of not getting a 5 next to a 10 is (40x39x38x37)/( 48x47x46x45) = .47 – so the probability of finding the two cards adjacent to one another at least once is 1 - .47 = 53%, which means it’s pretty likely!

So I guess, of the two of us, you did a better job. I'm still surprised it could be that likely.
    Thanks for your response. I was able to figure it out though.
    That's incorrect. If one of the 10's is at the top or bottom, there is only 7 positions adjacent to them and if one is at the top and another at the bottom, there is only 6 adjacent positions. You are not allowed to make the assumption that no "special" card is at the top or bottom.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 1st June 2012 at 12:21 PM.

For xbox live, is there a website I can go to to see how many people are playing a certain game online? I'm playing some older games since I got an xbox more recently, and I wanted to see it anyone is still playing online before I sign up for it.

Also regarding the xbox: my brother and I share one system. Let's say one of us moves out. Is there a way to separate the saved data onto 2 systems so we'd each keep our stuff?
    That's incorrect. If one of the 10's is at the top or bottom, there is only 7 positions adjacent to them and if one is at the top and another at the bottom, there is only 6 adjacent positions. You are not allowed to make the assumption that no "special" card is at the top or bottom.
    Yes, I suppose that's true.

Let's see if I can do this right: if we work under the assumption that there's a 10 at each end of the deck, then there are 44x43x42x41x40x39 ways to fill the positions with no 5s, and 48x47x46x45x44x43 total positions, so there's a 57% chance of not getting a correct pair, and a 43% chance of the opposite occuring.

But like I said both your and his (and the one I just did) answers seem high. I actually might have to perform this experiment and see what happens.

Let's see if I can do this right: if we work under the assumption that there's a 10 at each end of the deck, then there are 44x43x42x41x40x39 ways to fill the positions with no 5s, and 48x47x46x45x44x43 total positions, so there's a 57% chance of not getting a correct pair, and a 43% chance of the opposite occuring.

But like I said both your and his (and the one I just did) answers seem high. I actually might have to perform this experiment and see what happens.

We can't work with that assumption either. What we have to do is calculate the chance in each situation, multiply that chance with the chance of the respective situation occurring and then add.

If Hitler and Nazi Germany believed in Nazism, and communists were an enemy of the Nazis, why did Germany ally itself with the communist Soviet Union during WWII?
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seelöwe View Post
    If Hitler and Nazi Germany believed in Nazism, and communists were an enemy of the Nazis, why did Germany ally itself with the communist Soviet Union during WWII?
    Well, in 1939, the Germans and Soviets signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact which divided three parts of Eastern Europe into spheres of influence and contained some economic agreements, too. Then Germany invaded Poland, and Russia invaded Eastern Poland along with the Germans. Once they had Poland, the Germans and Soviets bullied Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (the three places mentioned in the Pact) to letting Soviets build army bases there. So that's how it got started--they both had a desire to conquer some land, and I guess Hitler decided conquering was more important than political ideals.
    However, the German army was not ready for Hitler's invasion of Poland in 1939, plus they were lacking in several key wartime resources, like oil. Likewise, the Soviets needed manufactured goods, notably German machines. The only country that could meet Germany's needs was Russia, and vice-versa. So they signed a commercial agreement in early 1940. Germany's economic needs outweighed political ideology, again.
    (But then the Soviets began conquering more land without consulting Germany, Germany grew more and more economically dependent on Russia, plans for Russia to join the Axis powers fell apart, and Germany invaded Russia.)
    tl;dr it was economic need and a hunger for land that led the Nazis to ally with the Soviets.

Say I have a taser in one hand, and I reach over to my other arm and press it against myself. Will I electrocute myself? I've always wondered how possible it is to electrocute yourself if you're holding the source of the electrocution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    Say I have a taser in one hand, and I reach over to my other arm and press it against myself. Will I electrocute myself? I've always wondered how possible it is to electrocute yourself if you're holding the source of the electrocution.
    With my limited knowledge of physics, I don't see why you wouldn't. Your body would still complete the electrical circuit, wouldn't it?

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Page 61 of 113 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast