Page 62 of 113 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2823

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Dimentio View Post
    Say I have a taser in one hand, and I reach over to my other arm and press it against myself. Will I electrocute myself? I've always wondered how possible it is to electrocute yourself if you're holding the source of the electrocution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    With my limited knowledge of physics, I don't see why you wouldn't. Your body would still complete the electrical circuit, wouldn't it?
    Ask Tory Belechi: http://youtu.be/erme2xWIHps Myth Confirmed!
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Darato is offline ❤ ❤❤ ❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤❤[

What are you supposed to do again when your notification is stuck and keeps saying you have VMs you already looked at again

L.F.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Darato View Post
    What are you supposed to do again when your notification is stuck and keeps saying you have VMs you already looked at again

L.F.D.
    Try posting a VM on your own profile then deleting it. That's what Profesco suggested another member to do and it worked.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Darato is offline ❤ ❤❤ ❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤❤[

^

Worked. Thanks

L.F.D.

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Well, in 1939, the Germans and Soviets signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact which divided three parts of Eastern Europe into spheres of influence and contained some economic agreements, too. Then Germany invaded Poland, and Russia invaded Eastern Poland along with the Germans. Once they had Poland, the Germans and Soviets bullied Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (the three places mentioned in the Pact) to letting Soviets build army bases there. So that's how it got started--they both had a desire to conquer some land, and I guess Hitler decided conquering was more important than political ideals.
    However, the German army was not ready for Hitler's invasion of Poland in 1939, plus they were lacking in several key wartime resources, like oil. Likewise, the Soviets needed manufactured goods, notably German machines. The only country that could meet Germany's needs was Russia, and vice-versa. So they signed a commercial agreement in early 1940. Germany's economic needs outweighed political ideology, again.
    (But then the Soviets began conquering more land without consulting Germany, Germany grew more and more economically dependent on Russia, plans for Russia to join the Axis powers fell apart, and Germany invaded Russia.)
    tl;dr it was economic need and a hunger for land that led the Nazis to ally with the Soviets.
    All right, thanks. I think I understand it now.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Why are some infinities "greater" than others? I've searched it up but I was pretty lost on the explanation.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    Why are some infinities "greater" than others? I've searched it up but I was pretty lost on the explanation.
    No infinity can be greater than any other infinity because infinity has no value

It's not a number, it's a symbol used to represent an abstract concept

^ Click this for good times ^

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatino95 View Post
    No infinity can be greater than any other infinity because infinity has no value
    There are more real numbers than natural numbers, yet both sets have infinite order.

What does that even mean

Oh wait, I think I get it

You mean there are more real numbers than natural numbers, yet there is still an infinite amount of each

That's a little bit confusing because we're using the term "infinite" for two different purposes: types and quantity

There are more types of real numbers than there are natural numbers

But each has an infinite quantity of values
    Last edited by Gelatino95; 6th June 2012 at 5:53 PM.

What does that even mean
    It means exactly the same as the combination of the definitions of those words.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It means exactly the same as the combination of the definitions of those words.
    You're priceless

I edited my post

What does that even mean

Oh wait, I think I get it

You mean there are more real numbers than natural numbers, yet there is still an infinite amount of each

That's a little bit confusing because we're using the term "infinite" for two different purposes: types and quantity

There are more types of real numbers than there are natural numbers

But each has an infinite quantity of values
    I mean that the amount of real numbers is greater than the amount of natural numbers. This is because the set of natural numbers is a proper subset of the set of all real numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    Infinity is imaginary number.. you can't physically get that number any objects.. One little "explanation" is: Think of the biggest number you can think of, Then add 1. Then repeat.

j/k: It's soo big that 8's fainted: ∞

It's a difficult Concept that people who've got Math and Physics qualifications have trouble with it. (I do have them, by the way.) But here's a not so easy explanation of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

I mean that the amount of real numbers is greater than the amount of natural numbers. This is because the set of natural numbers is a proper subset of the set of all real numbers.
    Meaning there are more types of real numbers than natural numbers, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there is a greater quantity of real number values than natural number values

Because there is an infinite quantity of values for each set, they should be considered the same (only for the purposes of convenience; because infinity is not a value, it cannot be considered equal to anything)

Meaning there are more types of real numbers than natural numbers, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there is a greater quantity of real number values than natural number values

Because there is an infinite quantity of values for each set, they should be considered the same (only for the purposes of convenience; because infinity is not a value, it cannot be considered equal to anything)
    It follows from the natural numbers being a proper subset that the amount of natural numbers is less than the amount of real numbers.

What do you mean with type?

By type, I mean the kind of numbers that can be classified as real or natural

If I remember correctly, something like square root of 3 would be considered real but not natural

That means there are more types of numbers that can be considered real than natural

However, that has nothing to do with quantity of values that can be considered real or natural

There is an infinite quantity of values that can be considered real and there is an infinite quantity of numbers that can be considered natural, and therefore one cannot be greater than the other

By type, I mean the kind of numbers that can be classified as real or natural

If I remember correctly, something like square root of 3 would be considered real but not natural

That means there are more types of numbers that can be considered real than natural

However, that has nothing to do with quantity of values that can be considered real or natural

There is an infinite quantity of values that can be considered real and there is an infinite quantity of numbers that can be considered natural, and therefore one cannot be greater than the other
    What do you mean with kinds of numbers?
    That seem like just rephrasing something when asked to explain it.

Square root of 3 is real but not natural

Therefore irrational numbers like that are a kind of number that can be considered real but not natural

The point is that more numbers can be considered real than imaginary, but because each has an infinite quantity of values, neither can be considered greater than the other

Square root of 3 is real but not natural

Therefore irrational numbers like that are a kind of number that can be considered real but not natural

The point is that more numbers can be considered real than imaginary, but because each has an infinite quantity of values, neither can be considered greater than the other
    If you can find a bijective function f: N -> R, I'll agree they have the same amount of elements.
    I don't think that you can find one though.

What is bijective

Ludwig, they both have an infinite amount of elements. Therefore, they have the same amount of elements. Difficult? I think not.
    Last edited by The Eleventh; 6th June 2012 at 8:30 PM.

What is bijective
    Both surjective and injective.

Is meatloaf more meat or more loaf?

There are more real numbers than natural numbers, yet both sets have infinite order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    Infinity is imaginary number.. you can't physically get that number any objects.. One little "explanation" is: Think of the biggest number you can think of, Then add 1. Then repeat.

j/k: It's soo big that 8's fainted: ∞

It's a difficult Concept that people who've got Math and Physics qualifications have trouble with it. (I do have them, by the way.) But here's a not so easy explanation of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity
    Okay, so an uncountable set would be greater than a countable set then right? Is there a point in differentiating both sets? Why separate them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Ludwig, they both have an infinite amount of elements. Therefore, they have the same amount of elements. Difficult? I think not.
    No, there's definitely a difference between some infinities.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Because infinity is not a value, you cannot say that anything said to have infinite value is greater, equal to, or less than any other infinite value

Page 62 of 113 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast