Page 69 of 113 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2824

Thread: The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

^I second that, the first book I recall had two kids who jumped in a pool with some rings on that sent them to what would be Narnia...right?
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

It's the The Magician's Nephew http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magician%27s_Nephew The first or sixth book, depending on who's order you go in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narnia#Reading_order

It's a bit of a weird book compared to the other ones in the series. I really should read them all at some time.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

^My brother's got all of them, so that gets me set for them then.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    ^I second that, the first book I recall had two kids who jumped in a pool with some rings on that sent them to what would be Narnia...right?
    In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, four children (Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy) are sent to live with their uncle, and they discover a wardrobe that has a magical portal to another world called Narnia.

The Magician's Nephew is the sixth book in the series "The Chronicles of Narnia" and is the prequel to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. In The Magician's Nephew, two children named Digory Kirke and Polly find their uncle's study in his house and he tricks them into touching a magic ring that transports them to another world (also Narnia). There is no pool involved from what I can remember. Digory appears in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as Professor Kirke.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

It's not the Chronicles of Narnia. I have never read those books. It was a children's series that came out after that though.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, four children (Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy) are sent to live with their uncle, and they discover a wardrobe that has a magical portal to another world called Narnia.

The Magician's Nephew is the sixth book in the series "The Chronicles of Narnia" and is the prequel to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. In The Magician's Nephew, two children named Digory Kirke and Polly find their uncle's study in his house and he tricks them into touching a magic ring that transports them to another world (also Narnia). There is no pool involved from what I can remember. Digory appears in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as Professor Kirke.
    To clarify TMN (spoilers): the rings actually took them to a forest with a bunch of ponds, and each pond was a portal into a different world. The first puddle took them to a different world (can't remember its name) where they found a woman named Jaidus (I think, but she's better known as the White Witch in TLTW&TW). They escape that world moments before its destruction. She sneaks back to our world with them, so they try to take her back. However, in those woods there's a new puddle instead of the old one and they go to Narnia right as Aslan (the Lion) is creating it. The witch, being a personification of Original Sin, gets away and makes her home in Narnia. Aslan returns Digory and Polly to our world. They plant the rings around a tree; this tree being the source for the Wardrobe's wood. I don't recall the kids being related to Digory; I'm pretty sure he was just a guardian for them. Back in WWII London because of the German bombings families tried to send their kids to the countryside, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lucario View Post
    I'm trying to remember the name of this book series I read as a kid. It keeps escaping me. From what I can remember these children discovered another world and couldn't tell anyone about it or it would be destroyed. Other than that I remember that even if they fell in the water they were still dry when they got out. I don't remember anything else. Does anyone know the name of this series?
    Quite frankly this sounds like almost every children's fantasy book involving kids in our world finding a different one.

I have claimed Giratina

Why do certain clothing companies (like Abercrombie&Fitch or Hollister) advertise their clothes with PEOPLE WITH NO CLOTHES ON?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler 99 View Post
    Why do certain clothing companies (like Abercrombie&Fitch or Hollister) advertise their clothes with PEOPLE WITH NO CLOTHES ON?
    Because if you wear their clothes, everyone will think you have a hot bod and a six-pack. You'll be attractive like the models!

Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

also, sex sells. why do some companies have women showing so many legs or just in bikini? /sarcasm

Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

Hm, ok. Thanks :3

I have another question. I heard a really good song on the radio that they didn't say the name of but it was on the obscure new music program (sundays at 6 XD). It ws a guy singer that reminded me of the singer from Sublime. There was a really cool trumpet solo in the middle that seemed like it was all improvisation (probably not though). The chorus went "Shut up, shut up, shut up! Sit up, sit up, sit up! [indistinguishable]," twice. I doubt anyone will know it but it's worth asking.

Hm, ok. Thanks :3

I have another question. I heard a really good song on the radio that they didn't say the name of but it was on the obscure new music program (sundays at 6 XD). It ws a guy singer that reminded me of the singer from Sublime. There was a really cool trumpet solo in the middle that seemed like it was all improvisation (probably not though). The chorus went "Shut up, shut up, shut up! Sit up, sit up, sit up! [indistinguishable]," twice. I doubt anyone will know it but it's worth asking.
    It's probably "Kangaroo Court" by Capital Cities. You can listen to it at that link to verify.

:0 That's it! o.0 Thank you :3

Because if you wear their clothes, everyone will think you have a hot bod and a six-pack. You'll be attractive like the models!
    And that's the reason that loads of young people are...screwed up. Media is manipulative, guys.

They don't realise that it's completely untrue. You are you, and no clothing will make you look exactly like anyone else.

This is what people are led to: Clothes = Good Body. Not true. Not debating this here, but just wanted to make a point.
    Last edited by AquaRegisteel; 23rd July 2012 at 6:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    And that's the reason that loads of young people are...screwed up. Media is manipulative, guys.

They don't realise that it's completely untrue. You are you, and no clothing will make you look exactly like anyone else.

This is what people are led to: Clothes = Good Body. Not true. Not debating this here, but just wanted to make a point.
    I was being 100% sarcastic. I actually don't buy Abercrombie, Hollister, or American Eagle clothes because I disagree with their marketing strategy. I don't wear makeup either. Clothing and cosmetic companies survive on the "beauty myth", by advertising that to be beautiful, you have to have expensive clothing, a face so painted that it's not your face anymore, and a super-skinny body (or six-pack abs for guys). They also make sure that you are bombarded with these advertisements, everywhere, all the time, so that you get used to seeing them...so that the image of "beauty" that they have created becomes subconsciously ingrained in your mind. Unnatural becomes natural.

Because of modern technology - TVs, smartphones, the Internet - young children, especially girls, are subjected to this myth from the moment that they are able to see. That's why we have so many more eating disorders and 8-year-olds with tans and makeup.

True beauty comes from a person's actions; their generosity, kindness, and love, not from clothing or makeup. But the media doesn't want you to realize that because they would lose out on billions of dollars.

Men fall into this trap, as well; not only believing that they have to be buff and have abs to impress a woman, but the myth gives them a distorted perception of a woman's beauty, too. I cringe whenever a guy calls me or any other woman "hot". What a disgusting word to describe a woman - not only does "hot" pertain only to her physical features, but it has the connotation of "I would bang that" (notice that I said "that" and not "her") rather than something like "gorgeous" which has the connotation of just physical beauty, with maybe something more to the woman. I am not "hot". I am BEAUTIFUL, on the inside and on the outside, and so is every other woman I know.
    Last edited by varanus_komodoensis; 24th July 2012 at 1:57 AM.

-------

I was being 100% sarcastic. I actually don't buy Abercrombie, Hollister, or American Eagle clothes because I disagree with their marketing strategy. I don't wear makeup either. Clothing and cosmetic companies survive on the "beauty myth", by advertising that to be beautiful, you have to have expensive clothing, a face so painted that it's not your face anymore, and a super-skinny body (or six-pack abs for guys). They also make sure that you are bombarded with these advertisements, everywhere, all the time, so that you get used to seeing them...so that the image of "beauty" that they have created becomes subconsciously ingrained in your mind. Unnatural becomes natural.

Because of modern technology - TVs, smartphones, the Internet - young children, especially girls, are subjected to this myth from the moment that they are able to see. That's why we have so many more eating disorders and 8-year-olds with tans and makeup.

True beauty comes from a person's actions; their generosity, kindness, and love, not from clothing or makeup. But the media doesn't want you to realize that because they would lose out on billions of dollars.

Men fall into this trap, as well; not only believing that they have to be buff and have abs to impress a woman, but the myth gives them a distorted perception of a woman's beauty, too. I cringe whenever a guy calls me or any other woman "hot". What a disgusting word to describe a woman - not only does "hot" pertain only to her physical features, but it has the connotation of "I would bang that" (notice that I said "that" and not "her") rather than something like "gorgeous" which has the connotation of just physical beauty, with maybe something more to the woman. I am not "hot". I am BEAUTIFUL, on the inside and on the outside, and so is every other woman I know.
    Don't worry, I wasn't attacking you as a person, I knew that was sarcasm. May as well not debate about it here. I do agree with the "hot" point though. I couldn't care less if I left my body as it is, I wouldn't want to go overboard if I didn't leave it alone. Of course, facial hair (see *shaved*) would be something to look after, but yes I agree with what you've said.

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me joining in. Well, here's my question: I'm not here to advertise any server, as I don't have one to advertise. I just needed your guys thoughts on this. As a summer job, do you think it'd be worthwhile to host a server for a game like Minecraft? If anybody needs, my internet connection is 17mb down and 12 mb up, and I've got 8GB of RAM w/ an i7 processor... So, in your opinion, is it a good idea to host a server for money?

THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING. I DON'T HAVE A SERVER RUNNING AT THE MOMENT. THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING

Quote Originally Posted by Jerp View Post
    Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me joining in. Well, here's my question: I'm not here to advertise any server, as I don't have one to advertise. I just needed your guys thoughts on this. As a summer job, do you think it'd be worthwhile to host a server for a game like Minecraft? If anybody needs, my internet connection is 17mb down and 12 mb up, and I've got 8GB of RAM w/ an i7 processor... So, in your opinion, is it a good idea to host a server for money?

THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING. I DON'T HAVE A SERVER RUNNING AT THE MOMENT. THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING
    Your choice, if you want to then do it.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry, follow up question. Is there any real money to be made from hosting a server? Like, how much would somebody make a week? Although I'm looking at this as a summer job, I'm looking for one that is at least somewhat profitable...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerp View Post
    Sorry, follow up question. Is there any real money to be made from hosting a server? Like, how much would somebody make a week? Although I'm looking at this as a summer job, I'm looking for one that is at least somewhat profitable...
    You can make money from hosting a Minecraft server? I thought all someone had to do was open up ports in their PC and give the port number for others to use. I don't see how one can make could make money off this. I'm still not sure on how server hosting works, so I could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PikaPika677 View Post
    You can make money from hosting a Minecraft server? I thought all someone had to do was open up ports in their PC and give the port number for others to use. I don't see how one can make could make money off this. I'm still not sure on how server hosting works, so I could be completely wrong.
    I'm pretty sure you're right, PikaPika. I've never heard of anyone making money by hosting a Minecraft server; all you do is open the ports and allow others to use it. People will buy things for real-life money in MMORPGs like WOW, though, and I think you can also make real money selling things in Diablo III.

-------

Quote Originally Posted by PikaPika677 View Post
    Actually, people can make money off of this. Large groups of minecraft players and/or people who want a good server w/ no lag will indeed pay for a server. The thing is, I don't know how profitable it is. A lot of hosts have really bad internet, and will make like $100 a month. I was aiming for more like $300 a month...

Is TreasureTrooper (it'll link you to the site when you click on the egg banner in my signature) legit or does it not work? I've heard equal amounts of stories of it working and not.

...and no, I'm not mainly asking this just to get you to click the banner.
    Take it easy
    "See you next summer..."
    (S2 is now!)
    I'm looking for an old piece of art I requested on here years ago and lost. It was a brown-haired girl with a pink wristband riding a Torterra. If you think you have this picture saved or have seen it somewhere please let me know and send it to me.

Well, Ask your self how do I make money from Hosting A Minecaft server? You don't. Most Minecraft Servers run at a loss.

I know a few PC gaming Clans, and they pay for their servers, TF2 and MineCraft, free to access but They cost money to the clan. My personal favourite: I even meet in person the Mod staff there, too. This got Pro hosting, and they do use it. (Done by people who do just about every Server for most PC games, and the ping is really low. I've had a Brazilian on a UK Server with "Respectable" Ping. http://steamcommunity.com/id/MikeSha...ot/55979581362)

Learning something like Blender to make some stuff can earn you money.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    Well, Ask your self how do I make money from Hosting A Minecaft server? You don't. Most Minecraft Servers run at a loss.

I know a few PC gaming Clans, and they pay for their servers, TF2 and MineCraft, free to access but They cost money to the clan. My personal favourite: I even meet in person the Mod staff there, too. This got Pro hosting, and they do use it. (Done by people who do just about every Server for most PC games, and the ping is really low. I've had a Brazilian on a UK Server with "Respectable" Ping. http://steamcommunity.com/id/MikeSha...ot/55979581362)

Learning something like Blender to make some stuff can earn you money.
    What exactly makes them run at a loss? Internet cost? I don't see how their losing money here...

Dear IPhone users- Have you heard this rumour sayin' that it shouldn't be charged up to the exact 100% each time it is being charged, but more like around the 90 percents? What do you know about it?

Page 69 of 113 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast