Thread: How have forum communities helped you?

Default How have forum communities helped you?

Hello. I'm currently working on an animation project intended to show those unfamiliar with online communities how forums and such can be a socially beneficial experience. So, I'd like to ask you all for some good examples to possibly include in my mini film. I would highly appreciate some good feedback. Also, to any mods reading this, I'm incredibly sorry if I'm breaking any rules by starting this thread. I certainly don't wish to.
    -Alex (e6life)
    Trainer Name: Alex
    FC: 3780-9040-5315
    Time Zone: EST (GMT/UTC -5)
    HA/Ball List
    Go! Shedinja/Ninjatom/Munja/Nukenin!

Well, serebii has helped me, i guess. I think my crush on Lovely Lady Korrina has helped me more, but seeing how people seem to accept and cherish my crush on the blonde FEmale gym leader on the internet shows me that people can't be all 'bad' People on this forum seem very accepting of loving who you want, regards to gender. I won't say my online memories before this year were all 'happy' ones, though; before this year, i was picked on by members of a kingdom hearts forum a lot for liking 'girly' things. It has made me want to give up on people. but this forum is changing that for me I have a crush on a same gender pokemon character (aka korrina) and people here are really nice to me about it on this forum. Its a wonderful thing. There are people out there that DO have good in them. A lot of good. Also, i think, for those who have autism or difficulties socializing irl as a whole, the net can be wonderful. And a lot of people DO like cute things. Not everyone you meet is gonna be all violence and call of duty. At least not here. Other forums, i duno. But this forum actually has people who make sense to me.

I duno if this post was helpful, but its my own experiences. This forum=good people, to me. Or at least much better than kh13....though they too may accept i like korrina, they were not kind to me about being girly. But people have actually encouraged me to like what i want, not just korrina though its nice, alone, that they accept my same sex crush. They should. Love is love, regardless of gender.

Sorry if i mention her so much in this post aha i'm a little obsessed maybe more than a little...^^;;;
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

I made this blingee of one of the most awesome pokemon EVER :3
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

To LadyTriox:

Thanks for the great insight you shared on my thread. I really appreciate it. I'm especially glad you shared your autistic nature. I didn't mention this on the initial post (I don't think), but the people this project is directed towards work for the state of Ohio to help people with disabilities, including those with autism. In fact, I'm actually autistic myself. I have Asperger's, a certain point on the autism spectrum. Anyway, thanks again for posting. I really appreciate it.
    -Alex (e6life)
    Trainer Name: Alex
    FC: 3780-9040-5315
    Time Zone: EST (GMT/UTC -5)
    HA/Ball List
    Go! Shedinja/Ninjatom/Munja/Nukenin!

I like that forums are there for people who love the same common interest so it's very therapeutic to be able to share your thoughts on the episodes, characters, theories, animation, and all the ins and outs of this community. This forum helped me when I'm feeling down and need a good laugh or a distraction from reality. It also opened my eyes to those who watch the anime or like/dislike characters for vastly different reasons than me and it made me aware of small technical details like who's supervising or writing this episode, who animated this shot or this character episodes. I love that debates are allowed so that each side can add reason to why they feel this way (as long as they don't start berating the user) and forums in general are a sense of belonging. You don't feel alone in your views of things. I don't think it's recommended or professional for people working on the show to stumble and read too much on what certain fans think... they should listen to what fans are saying but also stick to their original plan on how characters or plots are being mapped out.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Quote Originally Posted by e6life View Post
    To LadyTriox:

Thanks for the great insight you shared on my thread. I really appreciate it. I'm especially glad you shared your autistic nature. I didn't mention this on the initial post (I don't think), but the people this project is directed towards work for the state of Ohio to help people with disabilities, including those with autism. In fact, I'm actually autistic myself. I have Asperger's, a certain point on the autism spectrum. Anyway, thanks again for posting. I really appreciate it.
    You're welcome Autism has been hard for me all my life, even with my having been homeschooled for it. My fears and anxieties about hurting other people for being myself are very, very real. But I feel the nice new members around this forum have been helping me past that quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by satopi View Post
    You don't feel alone in your views of things.
    *sigh* WELCOME TO THE WORLD....of like the only truly girly girl on this planet, who also actually cares about people, like a person like me is SUPPOSED to. The net has never changed a second of this awful truth for me. Good people or not....

And, trust me, i've been on a lot of forums, and talked to, and got to know, THOUSANDS of people. So I really do know what i'm talking about.
    Last edited by LadyTriox; 15th September 2017 at 10:09 PM.
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

I made this blingee of one of the most awesome pokemon EVER :3
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

They helped me waste some time when I was younger. They really didn't help me grow as a person or anything.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Some of the earliest forums I got involved with were for fairly niche hobbies with older communities - the tone and quality of discussion was much higher than the average internet fare, with many prominent community members contributing to newsletters or other articles. I learned a great deal about short, sharp and clear presentation of material and arguments and after having composed some articles of my own I was very proud to be elevated to mod-hood.

Those sites aren't quite the same anymore and I've not substantially engaged with them for years, but I've genuinely built a career off those skills. There was something... aspirational about the level of debate on those sites, and now I have my own written material in parliamentary records.

I've only ever joined this forum, but it definitely means so much to me. I first joined when a pretty dark time in my life was starting (and it's still going one year on...), on one early evening in my school grounds on my phone because my new home had no wifi. For the first month or so of being on this forum, I'd curl up in my bed waiting for my crappy phone service to load the forum pages for me since any larger websites just wouldn't load at all, and then I'd scroll through, post sometimes.

And then, one day, I got a notification that a user - Pokegirl Fan~ to be exact - had sent me a friend request. As someone who hadn't talked to someone online ever before beyond iMessage, it was something both exciting and just slightly nerve-wracking for me. But we ended up having a nice conversation, and I learned how to use the VM system from there.

The rest is really history. I started opening up on here, I met new people, I even gained drive to start writing more fanfiction than a one-shot I wrote at midnight in midsummer. When I felt too low to do just about anything, I had Serebii to make me laugh. In school classes where all I wanted to do mentally was curl up and never speak to anyone again, I would sneak out my iPad or phone and check Serebii, and it's bring me back from the brink of tears.

What really made this website mean so much to me was the relationships I gained with so many users. SkittleBox, WolfeyStar, Mia Blaze, TikTok13, Lady Triox and Ascended Dialga are just a few people who really made me feel like I meant something. This website means the world to me, and I don't know where I'd be without it.

A tad dramatic but I love this place to bits ok-
    Banner by me!

Nerdy McNerdface's Chibi Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post
    Did they ever figure out who let the dogs out?
    Ongoing Stories:
    Bonds Between Children of Tragedy ~ Pokemon White Abridged ~ Encounters of an Elite Four Member
    One-Shots:
    Left Alone ~ A Simple Kalosian's Story
    Fanfic Profile:
    Serebii.net Fanfiction Profile

I'm here to be stupid and self righteous and force veganism onto people in the debate forum. I'll also waste my time playing some Face-Offs while I'm at it. This site helps me do that.
    Last edited by keepitsimple; 17th September 2017 at 12:06 AM.

I don't know about "helped", but this forum was certainly mighty entertaining back in the day. It helped ease my boredom for quite a while during many a night of dreary insomnia. Made some friends, had some laughs, the whole nine. Ultimately, though, you can only help those who want to be helped, and I am decidedly not that. You want my advice, kid? Steer clear of forums altogether. They'll only break your heart in the end.