Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things in media that scared you as a kid.

Default Things in media that scared you as a kid.

Tell us about things in media that you were afraid of when you were younger, no matter how silly it seems now. It can be anything, like shows, commercials, video games, etc.

I remember I used to be afraid of Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple.

I don't remember anything that scared me as a kid. But there is stuff that scares me NOW.

Stereo types about 'mean girls' and mentionings of loneliness tend to get to me a lot. Hence why I do not tend to watch sitcoms :P Cartoons tend to not have this type of stuff as much or at least not to the severe extent. So cartoons are pretty okay for me on average. But not sitcoms.

I hope one day I can laugh at these fears a bit more. Still, i guess my not wanting to watch sitcoms when they come on tv gives me more time to do the net and stuff :P haha
    PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE TO LEARN WHAT MAKES ME TICK AND STUFF. its important to me...
    PLEASE don't call me a 'guy'. Its a real pet peeve of mine with my autism and how my brain work's. thank you...
    Gay, happy triox! Wait, gay also means happy, right? :P Riiight?
    I have a MAJOR crush on korrina and i think she's totally awesome! best gym leader ever. Should be a champion.

I made this blingee of one of the most awesome pokemon EVER :3
    ~Lipstick Lesbian and Proud~ Well, i'm actually bi, but korrina's really the only 'attractive to me' character i ever dare look at on a daily basis, soo... :P
    I have autism too

These may not be the ones that were the most scary, but they creeped me out:

Phineas and Ferb - I never even watched the show, but the ads terrified me. Not sure why, though.

Scooby Doo Movies - I used to be terrified of the old show (the newer ones were awful, I much preferred the old one with the formula and actually decent humour), but then later grew to love it. However, that never consoled how scared I got of a decent amount of the movies. I'm not quite sure what it was, but it might've been the fact that a lot of them dealt with one of the main characters being possessed or evil, and possession used to be one of the creepiest things ever to me. Depending on the execution, it still can be, but it can also be badass as heck so yeah.

Stop Motion Animation: it's just... no. Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run, all those kind of stop motion animation things creeped me out to no end. They still creep me out to this day, actually.

Little Shop of Horrors: I was terrified when I first watched it, still am now. It's just... that plant thing is so creepy. It might harm back to my fear of stop motion, except this one feeds on your blood. Seymour, why did you accept that?!

That's all I can remember for now.
    Banner by me!

Nerdy McNerdface's Chibi Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSonic View Post
    Did they ever figure out who let the dogs out?
    Ongoing Stories:
    Bonds Between Children of Tragedy ~ Pokemon White Abridged ~ Encounters of an Elite Four Member
    One-Shots:
    Left Alone ~ A Simple Kalosian's Story
    Fanfic Profile:
    Serebii.net Fanfiction Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdy McNerdface View Post

Little Shop of Horrors: I was terrified when I first watched it, still am now. It's just... that plant thing is so creepy. It might harm back to my fear of stop motion, except this one feeds on your blood. Seymour, why did you accept that?!
    Are you kidding? Audrey II is hilarious!

I was afraid of the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who. Dad always told me the Daleks were scarier but I didn't believe him >_> I thought, and still think, the Daleks are awesome, but these things are bloody terrifying. Especially when they move when they're out of shot of the camera. Simple concept, but brilliantly effective.

When I was little, on Kids WB (when that actually was a network and pokemon was on it), there was this commerical that kept coming up with this guy in this weird box suit and an elephant like nose or something that would pop up so suddenly and make a weird noise and for some reason that really scared me. And I recorded the episodes on VHS tapes and re watched them, so I went through that commercial a lot. Hardly remember it now except that I hated it lol.
    My 3DS Friend Code is 0576 3520 6954. I have both sun and moon version, and my sun version has my well trained and semi-competitive pokemon.

I have played and beaten all of the main series pokemon games at some point except for Silver, Crystal and Pearl versions, though the only ones I still have now are Sun, Moon, OR, AS, X, Black 2, Plat, FR and Emerald. I also have a virtual console yellow version. I also love XD Gale of Darkness.

Favorites:

Quote Originally Posted by Minedreigon View Post
    Are you kidding? Audrey II is hilarious!
    I remember I never got through to the part before Audrey II began talking since I was too scared before then. My mum told me that afterwards it got really funny, but I just couldn't get through that first part of the movie. I might try a rewatch one day, but the fact that it was shown to me with no prior notice in school as a kid and I wasn't a fan of blood at the time at all, it just became really freaky to me. It's the kind of thing that part of you knows is really ok, but thanks to a past experience it still creeps you out.
    Banner by me!

Ongoing Stories:
    Bonds Between Children of Tragedy ~ Pokemon White Abridged ~ Encounters of an Elite Four Member
    One-Shots:
    Fanfic Profile:

That Rugrats episode where Chuckie was afraid of using the toilet because it was going to eat him and another episode where Cynthia said the drain will suck you up and you'll never came back really scared me when I was younger. There were also the stories in church like how if you stray away from God, associate yourself with them, and a few other things like how if you drew/watch anime, the drawings will come to life and tell you to do satanic things, not let you sleep, and we'll have to burn the drawings & cleanse the house from evil spirits. We were also shown a few videos on Youtube about how a man dug a hole dig enough in Egypt(?) that he recorded the screams of people burning in Hell. I can still remember the sounds when I think of it.

Also, that movie with the gigantic mutant spiders was disgustingly horrifying. So many spiders everywhere in that small town.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

I remember my father showing to me the Jaws trilogy when I was only three years old. After this, I had shark phobia which kept haunting me till middle school.

I remember loving Thomas the Tank Engine as a kid, but being unable to watch some of those train crashes, which were jarringly realistic for an 80s/90s puppet series. The premise the trains were sentient and couldn't control these inevitable accidents made it rather distressing, especially since the lack of workman responsibility usually meant the authorities blamed and yelled at them after it happened despite the clear agony they were often in. That was actually rather unsettling a premise as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by satopi View Post
    Also, that movie with the gigantic mutant spiders was disgustingly horrifying. So many spiders everywhere in that small town.
    There's TWO big spider movies, probably more counting the black and white B movie era, though truthfully anything spider-y terrified me, being an arachnophobe. Pokemon is cathartic just for making a CUTE tarantula.

Stop Motion Animation: it's just... no. Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run, all those kind of stop motion animation things creeped me out to no end. They still creep me out to this day, actually.
    Depends, a lot of the cartoony animation like Wallace and Gromit I loved. Stuff like the rock people in Return to Oz though.....
    Last edited by DatsRight; 1st June 2017 at 4:12 PM.

Thomas and Friends creep me the hell out, they remind me of those glass clowns my mother used to have... those eyes follow you wherever you go. They're freaking possessed.
    ~Certified Alan Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    Introducing Ash's next traveling companions: The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer
    Mallow-Lillie friendship duo; a bond so close, even the butler ships it!
    -Lady Lana: Full time big sister, part time kickasser
    -Queen Lillie and her duchess Vulpix will stick together, even without the initial intimacy
    -SM Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

Whenever Are you afraid of the Dark? was coming on, I would change the channel because the opening scared me.
    Now that I've actually watched it and I'm older, the show really isn't that scary.

The part in Jurassic Park where the T-Rex eats the goat and then breaks out of its enclosure always scared me as a kid. I remember I would always hide my face in a pillow whenever we got to it so I wouldn't see what was happening.

Apart from that, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom probably freaked me out the most, (though Jaws and the scarab beetles in The Mummy wouldn't have been far behind).

Quote Originally Posted by satopi View Post
    This sounds kinda like a movie my brothers and I used to watch a lot: Kingdom of the Spiders. The spiders in that movie weren't mutant, though. It was kind of like The Birds, except with tarantulas.
    Last edited by Cat's Eye Draco; 10th July 2017 at 4:12 AM.

That movie Arachnephobia used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. I used to think I saw those killer spiders in my room, so I would hide under the covers (my blanket) to shield me from them. It's seriously the main reason why I hate spiders to this day.

Credit for the banner goes to Satomine Night!
    - Also a member of ~Lillie Fan Club~ and Serena The Kalos Queen Fan Club, Serena4ever!

There was this one show that I've completely forgotten the name of, but I remember my mum telling me that there was a dog in it that scared me for no reason. It was an old kids show involving this old woman and her dog, and I can't remember but I think it involved planes? My mind is kinda fuzzy about it.
    Banner by me!

Ongoing Stories:
    One-Shots:
    Fanfic Profile:

As a kid, I was really spooked by the Root Bear, who was a 90s-era A&W mascot (some of the other older users may remember him). I was so frightened of this thing my parents tell me I wouldn't let them watch TV at one point because I was so afraid that commercial would come on. I think this is part of the reason I kind of admire, but could never bring myself to play, Five Nights At Freddy's. It definitely gets across how scary fast food mascots can be (plus, two of them are actually the same kind of animals A&W had as mascots, I remember them having a chicken mascot as well).

One other frightening TV memory was this one episode of a show called Simon's Chalk World, this British cartoon about a kid in a world of chalk drawings. There was this scene involving this singer singing annoyingly, and the sun was sick of the singing so it went behind a cloud, but the cloud was also sick of the singing so it got ticked off and blasted the singer's boom box with a lightning bolt. When I watched this as a kid I thought the cloud had killed the sun and the broken remains of the boom box was actually the sun's remains. This freaked me out enough that I wouldn't even watch the show that came before Simon's Chalk World, let alone the show itself. Yeah, I was pretty easily scared. Still am, really.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Satomine Night for the awesome banner, and Mechadragon X for the sprite in it!

pretty much any video game music with binaural sounds or backmasking

I kinda forgot this one last time, but Barney the Dinosaur was flat-out terrifying to me. An old show I once watched on DVD had a Barney ad at the end of it and I'd have to switch the DVD out for another one after the show ended as quickly as I could before the ad came on.

I was also once scared of Mickey Mouse. Thank god I got over that one.
    Banner by me!

Ongoing Stories:
    One-Shots:
    Fanfic Profile:

Two things. One, I was watching Aladdin in a theater, and when the fricking tiger head came out of the sand (in SSUURROOUUNNDD SSOOUUNNDD) I was all, "**** this noise, get me the **** out of here!". Also, there was a book for children called The House on Hackman's Hill or w/e that I read, which was about a ****ING GOD OF DEATH chasing down these two kids to kill them for desecrating a mummy or s/t. I slept fitfully for a while, there.

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    As a kid, I was really spooked by the Root Bear, who was a 90s-era A&W mascot (some of the other older users may remember him). I was so frightened of this thing my parents tell me I wouldn't let them watch TV at one point because I was so afraid that commercial would come on. I think this is part of the reason I kind of admire, but could never bring myself to play, Five Nights At Freddy's. It definitely gets across how scary fast food mascots can be (plus, two of them are actually the same kind of animals A&W had as mascots, I remember them having a chicken mascot as well).
    I remember the Root Bear. I think they still use him. Also, A&W is kind of dope for fast food but I don't know where any are anymore?

The screaming face in that book from the first Harry Potter movie. That was really freaky. I also made the mistake of going to an Alien amusement ride in Disney at 10
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

Not much really scared me as a kid, but I have one that's really, really stupid.

For years, I could not beat Banjo-Kazooie. Not because I found it hard or anything, except for Rusty Bucket Bay. No, the reason I couldn't beat Banjo-Kazooie was because I was always terrified of that stupid blue bull in Mumbo's Mountain. I was a stupid kid, and for some reason, I thought you had to kill it. You can't kill it. It always killed me whenever I tried to, and because of it, I was always terrified of playing Mumbo's Mountain because "the bull's going to get me."

I suppose another, more normal one would be gross-out cartoons in general, like Ren and Stimpy, Cow and Chicken, CatDog, and all that. Never a fan of them then, still not a fan of them now. I find them unsettling for probably obvious reasons.

~Credit to Satomine Night for the banner~
        Spoiler:- Friend Codes & Stuff:

There was this one show that I've completely forgotten the name of, but I remember my mum telling me that there was a dog in it that scared me for no reason. It was an old kids show involving this old woman and her dog, and I can't remember but I think it involved planes? My mind is kinda fuzzy about it.
    Do you mean courage the cowardly dog lol?? A woman and her husband and their dog and they always ended up in weird scary situations and the husband hated the dog and always tried to scare him.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

used to watch this show i never see anyone talk about these days. it was called candle cove and it gave me some of the weirdest vibes as a kid

also honestly, missingno and related gen 1 pokemon glitches have always been uncomfortable to me too. being like 8 years old and playing r/b in 99, something about the way those games try to correct their own glitches unsettles me a little bit to this day - i was doing a 151 run in adulthood for fun, back in like 2011?, and i accidentally found an M after trading for tangela on cinnabar and starting to surf towards seafoam. i had completely forgot you could find him that way and i had a panic attack lol

words and dreams and a million screams
    oh how I need a hand in mine to feel

From the Simpsons alone. (Descending order.)

1. The clown bed skit. This lead to the line, "Can't sleep, clown will eat me." (This one mostly.)
    2. The beginning of the episode where Homer wanders into a room with a skeleton in it.
    3. The scene with a crudely drawn woman drawn by the kids that Skinner pictures as Patty.

Quote Originally Posted by Google translated Bulbasaur entry
    A man like a cuckoo in the stomach is stubborn with the body Some things are going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jirachi100 View Post
    Whenever Are you afraid of the Dark? was coming on, I would change the channel because the opening scared me.
    Now that I've actually watched it and I'm older, the show really isn't that scary.
    You know it's funny, I loved that show when I was younger but there was a specific part in the opening that I closed my eyes for - there was this creepy clown doll on the cieling fan that scared me more than anything in the actual show. Weird, right?

Honestly, there wasn't much that scared me as a kid. At age six my mom worked full time as a nurse and my grandmother babysat me with movies and didn't really pay attention to the videos I pulled from her shelf. Apparently, granny really had a thing for horror and I did too, I was aquainted with all the badies by age seven - Chucky, Freddy Krueger, Candyman, etc. None of them really bothered me that much. The only 90's horror figure that really scared the piss out of me and gave me nightmares until I was 12 was Michael Myers from the Halloween series. I'd sketch myself out and see his face in the stucco on my cieling or in the folds of my curtains.

As far as videogames go, I loved watching my uncle play resident evil two. The only part that scared me to death is toward the beginning when you're walking through a hallway and the guy has some spit drop on him from the cieling, coming from this zombie thing with a ridiculously long tongue.
    Last edited by Baba Yaga; 18th July 2017 at 11:14 PM.

For some reason I used to be mildly afraid of Goldar from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. As an adult, however, I think he's absolutely hilarious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast