Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Infraction Point System - NEW INFRACTIONS 7/18/14

Quote Originally Posted by Raddaya View Post
    Do you even understand the meaning of permanent?
    Thanks for being helpful. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    The points that are expired don't count towards getting a ban. Serebii and other Admins chose do it that way. As far as I can tell it could be VB recommendation. That choice was before I actually joined the forum let alone became staff.

The good thing about having the 130 points never expiring is that some times a ban fails to apply and the system will ban you once a new infraction is applied. I should point out I've aware of one situation where someone had 130 points and wasn't banned.
    Thank you very much for the clarity. I see

Click here if you want to join ^
    Going through life with depression is like trying to run for a touchdown on two broken legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    I know how many point you have, and your post are getting towards the nasty end stuff. If I was had Mod powers in this section, I may have already applied an infraction to your post. You've got it easy here.. I know at least two sites has 3 strikes and you're permanently gone on the 4th.

So Cool it! Stop whining here, and take it to the staff section or PM the staff members who can do something..

The points that are expired don't count towards getting a ban. Serebii and other Admins chose do it that way. As far as I can tell it could be VB recommendation. That choice was before I actually joined the forum let alone became staff.

The good thing about having the 130 points never expiring is that some times a ban fails to apply and the system will ban you once a new infraction is applied. I should point out I've aware of one situation where someone had 130 points and wasn't banned.
    More like 1, and that was due to my sig being to large, i'm never on that site enough to do anything, and if anyone has it easy it's sereb devil! i literally want to go off at him but i'm keeping my kool.
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N.) View Post
    More like 1, and that was due to my sig being to large, i'm never on that site enough to do anything, and if anyone has it easy it's sereb devil! i literally want to go off at him but i'm keeping my kool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    3) this thread is not for complaining about infractions or lack thereof. this is about the mechanics of how the infraction system works. infraction disputes should be taken to pm/staff contact, as said before.
    Is it really that hard?

Anyway, I am confused by one thing in the rules. Discussing illegal content is only 5 points, while providing links to the content is worth 40. That just seems like a huge jump to me, because any person with a brain could just Google the content being discussed and download it themselves. Either way it promotes the download and use of illegal content. I do understand that providing links is "worse," because user on the site can just click on the link straight from the forums, but I don't really understand why there's such a significant jump. It goes from a 5 point ban- which with most people will result in no ban- to 40 points- an auto two week ban at minimum. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something? Because this has never really made much sense to me, since actually providing the links is only slightly worse in my opinion.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    Is it really that hard?

Anyway, I am confused by one thing in the rules. Discussing illegal content is only 5 points, while providing links to the content is worth 40. That just seems like a huge jump to me, because any person with a brain could just Google the content being discussed and download it themselves. Either way it promotes the download and use of illegal content. I do understand that providing links is "worse," because user on the site can just click on the link straight from the forums, but I don't really understand why there's such a significant jump. It goes from a 5 point ban- which with most people will result in no ban- to 40 points- an auto two week ban at minimum. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something? Because this has never really made much sense to me, since actually providing the links is only slightly worse in my opinion.
    Already read it sunshine, just wanted to thank nutter and tell him how much i adore sereb devil
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    Is it really that hard?

Discussing illegal stuff may not be actually directly or encouraging links to illegal content or for people to go get it firstly, and I imagine also the jump is in part due to legal issues - all Pokemon forums as such are quite against any linking to roms and whatnot as the ramifications of not keeping it in check here are quite serious. (Last year screenshots of a released game had to be taken down from the site for instance). And the Pokemon company/s care way more about actual supplying of illegal content than discussions.

After all, it is easy for someone to just use google and all, but because it's easy doesn't mean Joe doesn't want to discourage such things happening here.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

it's due to legal issues associated with links being up (like bobandbill said) and due to the fact that sometimes people dont always know what theyre discussing is illegal. we dont want to ban someone first thing when they may have honestly been ignorant. it's set to 5 rather than 3 points so that if you keep doing it youll get banned pretty quickly, however.

also, if anyone posts anything else regarding specific infractions they/someone else received, they are getting another infraction. cut it out. phoopes's question and similar stuff is what the thread is meant for, NOT whining about infractions. we have already said 10 billion times, take it to pm.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

it's due to legal issues associated with links being up (like bobandbill said) and due to the fact that sometimes people dont always know what theyre discussing is illegal. we dont want to ban someone first thing when they may have honestly been ignorant. it's set to 5 rather than 3 points so that if you keep doing it youll get banned pretty quickly, however.
    Shouldn't they have read the rules, though? Ignorance isn't always an excuse.

1. Don't ask for or provide illegal content, discuss cheating devices or cheat codes
    This includes episode downloads, Gameshark, Action Replay, ROMs, etc

From reading the very first rule, users should know at the very least that the discussion of the above is prohibited.

Additionally, if it's clear someone knows they ought not to be discussing illegalities, yet they are, will they still only receive five points?

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Shouldn't they have read the rules, though? Ignorance isn't always an excuse.

1. Don't ask for or provide illegal content, discuss cheating devices or cheat codes
    This includes episode downloads, Gameshark, Action Replay, ROMs, etc

From reading the very first rule, users should know at the very least that the discussion of the above is prohibited.

Additionally, if it's clear someone knows they ought not to be discussing illegalities, yet they are, will they still only receive five points?
    yes, they should have read the rules, which is why they still get an infraction for it, and 5 points is a slightly heftier infraction at that. we just didnt think it was necessary to outright for just discussing. and if someone is continuously and deliberately breaking ANY rule they have the potential to receive a harsher punishment than if it was someone's first time breaking that rule.

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Bluntly making a thread to AR and ROMs will give you a problem. But if it just starts getting talked about in a thread on, say, a league discussion, about if people use one, no, you won't get infracted.

I have a question: How can you abuse smilies?

With blood and rage of crimson red, ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.
    Together with our hellish hate, we'll burn you all, that is your Fate!

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    Same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    you guys don't know how to abuse smilies?

? ^_^

Its easy

Here's a question, not sure if I'm supposed to PM this to a mod, but...

Okay, let's say someone got several infractions for doing the same thing, but the last one would expire before the next was sent, and they were all on accident. Would the points go up, or would they stay the same? Or does it depend on purpose or accident?

Spoiler:- Some Things:

Are the pokemon-thingys smilies?

With blood and rage of crimson red, ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.
    Together with our hellish hate, we'll burn you all, that is your Fate!

asking the same question i posted on the newbie faq a while back because ive forgotten the answer.

So, say I created an FF.net account or something (either under a different pen name or under the same username), and bashed Character A in one of my fanfics. If the mods found out what I was doing, would they be able to infract me for it, despite the fact that there is no post/VM/PM to infract me for?

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    asking the same question i posted on the newbie faq a while back because ive forgotten the answer.

So, say I created an FF.net account or something (either under a different pen name or under the same username), and bashed Character A in one of my fanfics. If the mods found out what I was doing, would they be able to infract me for it, despite the fact that there is no post/VM/PM to infract me for?
    Who's Character A? A user?

Well they can't very well infract you for doing something on a different site. They're not FF.net mods, they're Serebii Forums mods.

No, I don't think they would do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Absol View Post
    Here's a question, not sure if I'm supposed to PM this to a mod, but...

Okay, let's say someone got several infractions for doing the same thing, but the last one would expire before the next was sent, and they were all on accident. Would the points go up, or would they stay the same? Or does it depend on purpose or accident?
    Not quite sure what you're trying to say here. But expired infractions do not contribute to the amount points you currently have. If I had 5 points and the infraction expires, I would go back to zero points. Accidental or purposely done violations usually don't make a difference in the amount of points you would get; unless it was something more serious like trolling.
    Last edited by PikaPika677; 7th August 2012 at 12:41 AM.

Yeah, we don't infract for off-site stuff as we don't have any power over other sites, etc (except in rare exceptions but that's very rare and would still require some rule breaking going here).

As for accidental infractions, I'll just note that one post can only get one infraction each - the system stops further infractions from happening. And in the case of getting banned via accidental infractions you can always post about it under Staff Contact as a guest.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

New infraction added

19. Outward Prejudice - 5 points (lasts 90 days)
    Warning? Yes - Extend? Yes

This is basically a way for mods to deal with many posts that have cropped up recently that didn't exactly fit under another category, thus making them defer to a smod or admin. This infraction applies to posts that are sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise discriminatory against people based on a protected class. Also note that if your post crosses the line majorly you may not get this infraction and may get the more serious, 10-point trolling infraction instead

New infraction added

19. Outward Prejudice - 5 points (lasts 90 days)
    Warning? Yes - Extend? Yes

This is basically a way for mods to deal with many posts that have cropped up recently that didn't exactly fit under another category, thus making them defer to a smod or admin. This infraction applies to posts that are sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise discriminatory against people based on a protected class. Also note that if your post crosses the line majorly you may not get this infraction and may get the more serious, 10-point trolling infraction instead
    SO many people are going to be banned
    I like this new rule, it's always seemed like it was a rule anyway...

it was already a rule, it just wasn't covered by a specific infraction so it was sometimes a bit hazy for the mods on which one to use. now we have a clear-cut one every time it comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by PopPrincess_Lyra View Post
    I don't get that rule Can ye dumb it up for me somehow? XD... so is it like posting something that doesn't connect with the thread? Is that it? nya~
    It's for discriminatory posts.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast