Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Infraction Point System - NEW INFRACTIONS 7/18/14

You can ask about it in the Staff Feedback section as you can post there as a guest. Note an email address would need to be supplied though, else we can't contact one for further info if needed.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

What are chain PMs and unsolicited PMs and what's wrong with them?
    You can find me in these locations as well:

YouTube
    Knux's Super Mario Bros. X Forums
    SMBX Revived
    FutureNyanCat2002's SMBX Forums

Black 2 FC: 3053-9852-8499 (Bowser)
    3DS FC: 3136-7939-0916

Think of them like chain emails, or emails advertising things like other forums/chats/clans/etc. They are basically spammy and in the latter advertising is against the forumwide rules as well, but people try to avoid it by doing it via PM.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Think of them like chain emails, or emails advertising things like other forums/chats/clans/etc. They are basically spammy and in the latter advertising is against the forumwide rules as well, but people try to avoid it by doing it via PM.
    If you ask about like "do u know any other forums/chats/clans?" would it be against the rules to answer?
    Current Shiny Hunt:
    Houndour
    EGGS: 486
    Im back everyone

Shop will be open soon for 5th gen

You don't always get a warning for infractions that have warnings, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambree View Post
    If you ask about like "do u know any other forums/chats/clans?" would it be against the rules to answer?
    No, I would feel that is fine. After all then you're answering a question, not just advertising without prompting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    You don't always get a warning for infractions that have warnings, right?
    No, sometimes you can get an infraction straightaway. That tends to depend on the mod/context/the infraction and post/s itself. (Say for instance you are arguably more likely to get an infraction for flaming someone rather than for double posting).

The BBS Forums! Join in!

I understand not creating new accounts if you've been banned, but why do we get infracted for having more than one account if we've only got one or two infractions? Especially if an account doesn't work. I've had that happen to me many times on Smogon (never on here and this is my only account here just so I don't get introuble.)
    Within my lifetime, I've done a lot of walking. I started my journey walking on a little path called Route 1. Little did I know that walking down that route would lead me onwards to a road that went by the name of Victory. Just west of Victory Road, I walked up an entire mountain where atop stood a silent trainer who was one of the mightiest I had ever faced. I've walked, through sandstorms, across the hard desert of Hoenn. I've walked through pelting hail, across the snow covered terrains of Sinnoh. And now as I look back on all my travels I find myself walking across the Skyarrow Bridge of Unova. It took a lot of walking through tall grass patches to get where I am today...But it was worth the walk.

let me ask, if you got a warning for something you didnt do, what happens?
    do you just let it go or what?
    or do you pm the mod? i have no idea what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoruaruler View Post
    I understand not creating new accounts if you've been banned, but why do we get infracted for having more than one account if we've only got one or two infractions? Especially if an account doesn't work. I've had that happen to me many times on Smogon (never on here and this is my only account here just so I don't get introuble.)
    Making a new account to avoid infractions isn't right either. The policy is there because there's little reason to have another account and ban evaders were (and at times are) frequent. As for new accounts that 'don't work', I rarely see them come up but you can also post as it in the Staff Feedback section (even guests can post there provided they give an email address) and an admin can fix said account.

Quote Originally Posted by Victinirules View Post
    let me ask, if you got a warning for something you didnt do, what happens?
    do you just let it go or what?
    or do you pm the mod? i have no idea what to do.
    If you have a disagreement with a warning/infraction you can always discuss it with the mod who gave it via PM, and after that if need be a higher up.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

how the hell did contest win this??? ash and may had way more chemistry and more romantic scenes then drew ever did!!!

YUK!!
    ^ i got banned for 2 weeks for saying this, and this isn't banable what so ever, what a total abuse of power

Question: why do points expire? Suppose a long term member who knows better than to break the rules gets an infraction, but then it just goes away after a while. Can a person be banned if they reach a designated number of points, active or expired over their entire time on the forum? I'm pretty sure Pokecommunity had a system like that last I checked.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Infraction points work like probation in real life BL.

When you get an infraction for something (say, having an opinion contrary to Evil Figment on bulbagarden forums flaming) and receive the points, said points will stick around for a couple of months or more if the mod infracting you deems it necessary/is a jerk. In this similar vein, getting convicted of a simple crime (such as shoplifting) will result in a few months probation, whereby if you are convicted of a crime in that timespan will result in a jail term. Infractions work the same way, once you receive points any further misdemeanours/disagreement of opinions will result in more points until you somehow pass the threshold for a ban. Once a ban threshold is passed, you'll obviously be banned for the length stated, and any further infractions afterwards will result in lengthier bans.

Now, as far as probation and infractions go, you can effectively wait out the infraction time and once said infraction has wore off, the points given from it expire as well. As an example, say I made a few snarky comments towards someone's fanfic and got slapped with a 3 point infraction for a month, then a week later proceed to outright insult one of the mods with a verbal Flamethrower and get smashed with a 5 point infraction for 3 months as well as a 24 hour ban for pissing them off. After the ban duration's over, I have 8 points on my license to post and will have to tread carefully. However, 3 weeks later, that first infraction wears off taking me down to 5 points. In a sense, this system exists much like the forum version of corporal punishment: It's okay to misbehave on the rare occasion, but the sting from that wallop will remain for a while, and another like that could very well knock you out. Of course, some mods will be savvy to folk like this, and the next time you pull off a 3 pointer, it'll be for one and a half months.

However, having said this, I know the mods are onto me, but they'll never take me alive, never!

I reject your Nyancats and replace it with my own.
    FB

Quote Originally Posted by (P.O.K.E.M.O.N.) View Post
    ^ i got banned for 2 weeks for saying this, and this isn't banable what so ever, what a total abuse of power
    Flaming/Bashing is against the rules. If you even know what those two words mean, that is.

Power abuse is nothing new to these forums.

Click here if you want to join ^
    Going through life with depression is like trying to run for a touchdown on two broken legs.

There's an arrogant staff member (or two) on every forum. We just have to learn to live with it. But that post was kind of forceful; I could see it coming off as rude.

TBTF EGC ACbay deviantART RNtMA
    Friend Safari: Shellgon, Gabite, Druddigon

3DS FC: 2320 6135 5667
    NN ID: TheUglyBarnacle

What can really bite is if there are arrogant members who are favored by some of the staff. Like if they are doing something that isn't against the rules per se, but is still annoying, pressuring, or just plain rude behavior.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

I've done some checking.. (P.O.K.E.M.O.N.) hit 30 points a little while back. Which is our 2nd ban limit which bans you for two weeks. I won't second guess that mods reasoning for the infraction in what I consider their section. I can see who did it.

Once you hit one of point limits, the system will ban you. Mod level staff can't override any ban statues.

It's possible to get a ban for posting a rude word that rhymes with... Better not post it. Posting certain words can get our smallest infraction at 1 point.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

What can really bite is if there are arrogant members who are favored by some of the staff. Like if they are doing something that isn't against the rules per se, but is still annoying, pressuring, or just plain rude behavior.
    If you feel this is the case raise it with other mods, same if you feel that 'power abuse isn't new' rather than just saying that without actually saying why.

Also make sure that you know for sure that people are favoured by staff, guys - I recall times of people asking why I didn't infract so-and-so when I actually had - thing is infractions are private in the first place and rarely announced publically. Other times things aren't reported and hence not seen, so make use of the report button.

And this isn't the place for complaining about infractions, it's for asking questions about the system. If you want to dispute an infraction take it up with the mod or a higher up, and there's also the staff contact section.

Oh, and as it was asked publically:
    how the hell did contest win this??? ash and may had way more chemistry and more romantic scenes then drew ever did!!!

YUK!!
    This didn't alone result in your ban, but it and the other infractions (about 10 pages worth) added up to a ban limit number. (In other words anything can be bannable with other stuff - so spam isn't getting you a ban by itself but other things with it can if you have enough, for example). In other other words, what fishyfool said. If you keep breaking the same sort of rules then I don't see too much wrong in still being infracted (e.g. your latest one for telling people to 'go to hell' which is hardly necessary). The mod felt it that post was being rude to others and given the track record...

The BBS Forums! Join in!

As for member favoritism, there's one member who's been around since before I joined and he has constantly evaded swear filters, posted comments bordering on off-topic spam, being a completely jerk to certain members (although he is justified sometimes), etc. I was shocked that it finally took him to curse at a moderator directly to get banned. This is a complete load of bull.

But, I do have to admit that the staff has improved since ~2007. Much less power abuse. Still not perfect though.

All in all, it's not the end of the world. We are on a Pokemon forum for goodness sakes >_>
    We all have lives outside of here, right?

Going through life with depression is like trying to run for a touchdown on two broken legs.

again, what bobandbill said:
    1) this person might not actually be as favored as you think. just because someone doesnt get banned doesnt mean they havent gotten infracted for their behavior. there's also the possibility that their behavior was not noticed by a mod. we can't be everywhere.
    2) if you truly believe there is favoritism, first talk to the mod(s) who you feel are responsible for this favoritism, and if that doesnt work, go to someone higher than them (mod < smod < admin < serebii). alternatively, posting in the staff chat means every mod of every forum can see it, so that can work although it may not be as effective.
    3) this thread is not for complaining about infractions or lack thereof. this is about the mechanics of how the infraction system works. infraction disputes should be taken to pm/staff contact, as said before.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    If you feel this is the case raise it with other mods, same if you feel that 'power abuse isn't new' rather than just saying that without actually saying why.

Also make sure that you know for sure that people are favoured by staff, guys - I recall times of people asking why I didn't infract so-and-so when I actually had - thing is infractions are private in the first place and rarely announced publically. Other times things aren't reported and hence not seen, so make use of the report button.

And this isn't the place for complaining about infractions, it's for asking questions about the system. If you want to dispute an infraction take it up with the mod or a higher up, and there's also the staff contact section.

Oh, and as it was asked publically:
    This didn't alone result in your ban, but it and the other infractions (about 10 pages worth) added up to a ban limit number. (In other words anything can be bannable with other stuff - so spam isn't getting you a ban by itself but other things with it can if you have enough, for example). In other other words, what fishyfool said. If you keep breaking the same sort of rules then I don't see too much wrong in still being infracted (e.g. your latest one for telling people to 'go to hell' which is hardly necessary). The mod felt it that post was being rude to others and given the track record...
    It was 5 points though.... That comment was not worth 5 points, at the most it was a warning,

And i had to say " go to hell " to lex, he insulted may, and i knew i was going to be in trouble for it, but i should not have been given 5 points for that comment, which resulted in the ban.

The mods in the shipping section are biased against new shippers which explains the low post count in that section..

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    again, what bobandbill said:
    1) this person might not actually be as favored as you think. just because someone doesnt get banned doesnt mean they havent gotten infracted for their behavior. there's also the possibility that their behavior was not noticed by a mod. we can't be everywhere.
    2) if you truly believe there is favoritism, first talk to the mod(s) who you feel are responsible for this favoritism, and if that doesnt work, go to someone higher than them (mod < smod < admin < serebii). alternatively, posting in the staff chat means every mod of every forum can see it, so that can work although it may not be as effective.
    3) this thread is not for complaining about infractions or lack thereof. this is about the mechanics of how the infraction system works. infraction disputes should be taken to pm/staff contact, as said before.
    Come on P.o.k.e.m.o.n ._. Look what Ellie left to us

20307 Events ,and Continuing

How can an adbot get 130 points that never expire and let's say I evade ban, I would too get 130 points, but that never expires? They're both permabans. I don't understand how one permaban can never "expire" if it's still permananent?

That comment was not worth 5 points, at the most it was a warning,
    Says you. Unfortunately, you are not a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
    How can an adbot get 130 points that never expire and let's say I evade ban, I would too get 130 points, but that never expires? They're both permabans. I don't understand how one permaban can never "expire" if it's still permananent?
    Do you even understand the meaning of permanent?

Here's a newsflash: Stop whining about infractions. If you got enough infractions to get any sort of a ban, you deserved it, and one single extra infraction point could not have possibly done enough to get you a ban alone. Let's put an example: If a random mod infracted me for mini-modding in this post, it'd be kind of a dick move, but I wouldn't whine about it because it was perfectly justified. Learn context, and learn that people view the seriousness of points differently, and if someone is a mod he/she's probably trusted enough to know what's serious.

tl;dr: It's a pokemon forum, if you get banned for a week is that really the end of the world?
    Last edited by Raddaya; 22nd May 2012 at 5:17 PM.
    THIS DAY IS GOING TO BE PERFECT
    Because love's in bloom~

"After all this time?"
    "Always", said Snape.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate

It was 5 points though.... That comment was not worth 5 points, at the most it was a warning,

And i had to say " go to hell " to lex, he insulted may, and i knew i was going to be in trouble for it, but i should not have been given 5 points for that comment, which resulted in the ban.

The mods in the shipping section are biased against new shippers which explains the low post count in that section..
    I know how many point you have, and your post are getting towards the nasty end stuff. If I was had Mod powers in this section, I may have already applied an infraction to your post. You've got it easy here.. I know at least two sites has 3 strikes and you're permanently gone on the 4th.

So Cool it! Stop whining here, and take it to the staff section or PM the staff members who can do something..

Quote Originally Posted by SlimShady View Post
    The points that are expired don't count towards getting a ban. Serebii and other Admins chose do it that way. As far as I can tell it could be VB recommendation. That choice was before I actually joined the forum let alone became staff.

The good thing about having the 130 points never expiring is that some times a ban fails to apply and the system will ban you once a new infraction is applied. I should point out I've aware of one situation where someone had 130 points and wasn't banned.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast