EV:252spd 252 hp 4 sp attck
    item:sitrus berry/focus sash

moveset:

Tailwind/Substitute
    Baton Pass
    Quiver Dance
    Toxic/Silver Wind

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Want a clan? Check out my amazing clan "Forbidden Empires" (click image below for link)

Rate my team!!
    Clan Chat!

Credits to me for the FE leader UB.

This is a set I've been using for a while now.

...and she's dancing like he's never danced before!
    Venomoth @ Focus sash
    Ability: Tinted Lenses
    Nature: Modest (+SpAtk, -SpDef)
    EVs: 252 Hp/224 Spe/32 SpAtk
    -Quiver dance
    -Bug buzz/psychic
    -Baton pass
    -Sleep Powder

Venomoth makes a great lead. Start off by using sleep powder on your foe. Then proceed to get 1-3 Quiver dances in. Then it's your choice between baton passing to a stronger Pokemon, or using bug buzz/psychic yourself. Tinted lenses gives you 2x damage on any not-very-effective attack you use. It's a pretty good ability, especially for venomoth.
    Focus sash is there in case your foe out-speeds you, or sleep powder misses on the first try.
    Only real men wear purses.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I have a pretty standard lead Venomoth on one of my PO teams. It can pass to any Special Attacker and dominate from there, as long as you have good attack coverage.

Venomoth @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Shield Dust
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd

- Sleep Powder
    - Quiver Dance
    - Baton Pass
    - Bug Buzz

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

before everyone starts quoting me and explaining problems this set has i want to say that this is a complete GIMMICK set

doubles/triples support

item: focus sash
    nature: timid
    EVs: 252 SpAttk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    ability: tinted lens

Skill Swap
    Rage Powder
    Bug Buzz
    Psychic

this set has some double/triple potential. focus sash allows you to live at least one turn. skill swap allows you to swap abilities with a partner. rage powder has priority allowing you to give your partner(s) a turn without taking damage. bug buzz and psychic are there for coverage attacks

my thought is to partner venomoth with slaking. you can skill swap with slaking and give it tinted lens making slaking have a nearly unresisted STAB working off a monster attack stat. your next turn (or the turn after depending on if truant would kick in) can be used to either skill swap truant onto an opponent or to use rage powder to protect slaking. and worst case scenario is that venomoth gets killed after it skill swaps and truant is no longer in play

as i have said... this is a GIMMICK set so dont quote it pointing out flaws
    You cannont handle the steels!

Skill swap would be awesome if it worked on Truant... Heck, anything would be good if it worked on Truant.... Unfortunately not, though... But Skill Swapping one of Venomoth's abilities onto a sweeper at the start of a battle would be awesome... If Venomoth could survive an attack from multiple opponents prior to the swap...

P.s. I feel obligated to note that I made no quotation of anybody

truant works with entrainment... which however is only available to durant.
    Rate my UU Team
    NOWZ!!!!!
    The Fallen

The Forbidden Empires are open!!!

(Click on the banner for a link)

Clan Chat

So... Venomoth, introduced in Red/Blue/Green, has been horribly weak until the 5th generation.

ABILITIES

Shield Dust= Can be useful in some sets, but mainly stick to Tinted Lens.

Tinted Lens= Doubles the power of NVE moves? Yes please!

Wonder Skin= See Shield Dust.

MY SET

Toxmoth
    Venomoth @ Toxic Sludge/Life Orb
    Trait: Tinted Lens
    EV's: 4 HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd
    Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Quiver Dance
    - Toxic
    - Roost
    - Solar Beam/Bug buzz/Sludge Bomb
    NOTE: MUST BE IMPORTED FROM 4TH GEN!
    Right, this is simple. Use Toxic, then Quiver Dance, using Roost to heal off damage. Next, destroy using Solar beam on Sun teams, Bug buzz for a STAB move, or Sludge Bomb to abuse Tinted Lens.

COUNTERS

Steels wall Venomoth brilliantly, Stealth rock deals heavy damage, rock in general hurts, Fire obliterates Venomoth, and actually any STAB move has a good chance of OHKOing it.

i actually kind of expected venomoth to be in the rubbish bug special like said in the rotom special...

but i guess thats saved for the likes of butterfree, beedrill, etc.
    Rate my UU Team
    NOWZ!!!!!
    The Fallen

The Forbidden Empires are open!!!

(Click on the banner for a link)

Clan Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Tyranitar View Post
    i actually kind of expected venomoth to be in the rubbish bug special like said in the rotom special...

but i guess thats saved for the likes of butterfree, beedrill, etc.
    Like last gen, when all the rubbish bugs would be grouped together? Beedrill, Ledian, Venomoth, Butterfree, etc.

And that Skill Swap set: actually, worst case scenario is Venomoth not getting to Skill Swap because both opponents attacked Venomoth.
    Last edited by Vandslaux; 25th August 2011 at 4:02 PM.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    Skill swap would be awesome if it worked on Truant... Heck, anything would be good if it worked on Truant.... Unfortunately not, though... But Skill Swapping one of Venomoth's abilities onto a sweeper at the start of a battle would be awesome... If Venomoth could survive an attack from multiple opponents prior to the swap...

P.s. I feel obligated to note that I made no quotation of anybody
    skill swap is the only way to get rid of truant. simple beam, entertainment, and worry seed dont work on a pokemon with truant. you can still use entertainment to give something truant though
    Last edited by tecannon521; 25th August 2011 at 4:35 PM.
    You cannont handle the steels!

Quote Originally Posted by tecannon521 View Post
    skill swap is the only way to get rid of truant. simple beam, entertainment, and worry seed dont work on a pokemon with truant. you can still use entertainment to give something truant though
    so if mr. mime got tinted lens...
    no more focus blast. random and useless pokes aside, Venomoth is yet another example of a poke with a great ability and decent movepool, but whose typing and stats let it down. Venomoth is volcorona's older, frailer, and weaker cousin who only has usability due to irs ability, precise movepool, and baton pass.
    Likely to be very inactive due to school. Sorry.
    PM me if you would like me to rate your team. Known as [T3]Xaos on PO.

Member of the Triumvirate clan. If you want to join, then i have referred you. I also will EV train pokes. PM me for more info. Credit goes to Gladeshadow for the Banner. I've won one tourney. LC gen 5.
    Missingno 3.70919 167
    Klinklang 3.68698 166
    You know a pokemon is bad when Missingno. is used more than it...
    στο χάος προέρχεται απελευθέρωσης

With Tinted lens, you can run Choice Specs sets, and it would hit better. On the other hand, with quiver dance sets, you can do a good neutral stab move most of the time. (You need HP fighting/ground to take out steel/rock) RUN THIS. USE NO OTHER.

Wonder skin? Good for maybe one extra move when Ferrothorn misses with thunder wave. Not amazing, but annoying with a lum berry.

I like Shield dust. It means no fakeouts, it means no Jirachi/serene graces! (not that it matters much, a zen headbutt kills, anyhow)

Meh. We got dis. Powerful vines and all. We whip 'em. With our vines. Powah Whip. :3
    In honor of AlexandriaTheMixed and Project Retribution
    Oh, the shame...

Countering Shield Dust...
    Straight-up powerful attack Moves. Yeah, its a short article. Blocks Fake Out as previously mentioned...

Physical sets...
    Venomoth, you have the worst STAB combo for Attack-based Moves. Steel blocks half and resists the other half without Tinted Lens. Physical sets rely on added effects to supplement the low Base Attack behind it.

Poison Fang is probably the best STAB option for Physical Venomoth. When the added effect is TOXIC Poison, you have a good option...if it sticks. Bug Bite and U-Turn have good strategy for Physical Venomoth, disabling Berry users and scouting, respectively.

Non-STAB has a decent potential for Physical Venomoth sets. Zen Headbutt can Flinch, Facade is an option against Status Effect flingers, Acrobatics is wonderful with a 1-use Item, and Thief can swipe something quite useful to your opponents.

Again, I do not suggest the use of Physical sets if you don't have the Stats to do so, but if you're a strategist, you have lots of options with Venomoth.

Mixed sets...
    Slightly better than Physical, but severely outclassed by Special and Baton Pass sets. You have access to Poison Fang for Toxic Poison with your STAB, Quiver Dance for buffs, and Bug Buzz for powerful STAB.

The physical options above, Energy Ball, Psychic, Venoshock (if you want to run Toxic on a partner or Toxic Spikes), Struggle Bug (for the strategists), Roost...the list of options is huge for mixed, but once you get Quiver Dance in, you may as well stick to Special (except against Special Walls).

Venomoth is pretty much walled by steel types, so Tinted Lens is pretty much required.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123