Thread: Is Wide Guard a game changer for doubles?

Default Is Wide Guard a game changer for doubles?

Okay. So I've been playing competitive doubles for a while, and I've seen a lot of weather teams with Kingdra and Excadrill. Almost all of these pokemon as well as half the doubles pokemon in general like Jellicent, Volcarona, TTar, Hail Team pokemon, etc. have spread moves like Muddy Water, Earthquake, and Blizzard. Is Wide Guard going to be a game changer for doubles and triples, or is it just going to be another slot filler. Discuss please.

It's gonna see use in double and triples but I don't think it will be a game changer other than those scenarios
    [IMG]http://i28.*******.com/2hgad5k.jpg[/IMG]

Nah, I don't think so...
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

Wide Guard was extremely common in VGC play, which doesn't even have all that many moves that hit both targets on the field (Water Spout, Discharge, Earthquake, and Rock Slide are the main common ones, iirc - I haven't played VGC in a while), so Wide Guard probably plays even more of a role in standard gen 5 doubles.

tl;dr, wide guard was really common in VGC doubles, it's probably really common in standard doubles too

Yes, it will. Everyone hates Terrekion except the one who uses it.

Meh. We got dis. Powerful vines and all. We whip 'em. With our vines. Powah Whip. :3
    In honor of AlexandriaTheMixed and Project Retribution
    Oh, the shame...

I've never tried this move, and I never was victim of that so, I don't really know much about. Exactly, what it does?

Back in the Serebii.net Forums!

I rarely encounter wide guard, and it has not been a problem for me.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haru Glory View Post
    I've never tried this move, and I never was victim of that so, I don't really know much about. Exactly, what it does?
    It is a situational Protect that blocks moves that hit multiple pokemon from hitting you and your teammates. So stuff like Earthquake, Rock Slide, Surf, Lava Plume, etc.

I have claimed Giratina

Haven't played doubles in a while so I can't tell but I really don't see it being much of a game changer.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Haven't played doubles in a while so I can't tell but I really don't see it being much of a game changer.
    Well of course no one is going to use it in singles. Doubles and Triples is where it's actually useful (although I don't have that much experience.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by Money902 View Post
    I rarely encounter wide guard, and it has not been a problem for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    honest question has either of you ever played a competent doubles player

Honestly I see it way more often in triples than doubles, and I personally use it more often in triples. It is an extremely useful move, and can stop cold many common doubles and triples strategies, eruption/water spout, surf+water absorb, blizzard spam, discharge+eq, oh and that +6 terrakion. Its actually disappointing how little it is used given how common many of those strategies (and multi target moves in general) are. I'm not saying it should be on every pokemon, but having just two on a team with it in doubles and one in triples has proven to be very effective and useful. It also eliminates the need to have protect/detect on nearly every pokemon.

tl;dr, it is very useful and should be used more often, people underestimate it