Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like/dislike Smogon's tiering process?

At first I thought this was one of "those" threads, but then I saw the OP and the opinion was completely the opposite. I agree that Smogon's tiers are clearly the best and the standard. However, I also agree with user 3.14kachu. All the haters are gonna stay away if there's nobody actually hating on Smogon. I mean, why would you go on a ship if you knew it was sinking? Then again, I could be wrong and this could end up being the next controversial Competitive Discussion thread.

Credit to Blue Harvest for the amazing banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestgamepearl View Post
    For the most part, their tiers are pretty spot on, and including useage stats. Seriously, if something wasnt good, why would people use it? Granted, some things may NOT be OU yet and havent been examined, but do realize that b/w only came out like a few months ago, this isnt going to be a perfect metagame right off the bat, you can't expect as good of a metagame as 4th gen OU was when 5th gen came to be. Also, i can guarantee you they dont go for what's cute and what's cool looking lol, if they went for cool looking Golurk and such would be OU lolz. Matter of fact, there are hardly any "cute" pokemon in OU xD
    In the case of the 8 year olds, he meant in-game.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Not complaining or hating but can someone tell me why Victini's UU and still hasn't made it to BL?

Credit goes to Mochi10 for the team pose and trophy

Credit goes to PPL for the life of pokemons

Quote Originally Posted by emboarrocks View Post
    Not complaining or hating but can someone tell me why Victini's UU and still hasn't made it to BL?
    Victini is in UU mostly because it's weak to Stealth Rocks, bad typing, the only thing why everyone uses it is because of V-Create, it can't learn any good boosting moves such as Nasty Plot or Sword Dance...
    But Victini with Choice Band spamming V-Create is awesome.

Hey, emboarrocks, weren't you complaining a ton about Smogon in one of the POTW threads a while ago? Would you mind voicing your thoughts on why you were doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    Hey, emboarrocks, weren't you complaining a ton about Smogon in one of the POTW threads a while ago? Would you mind voicing your thoughts on why you were doing so.
    I wish this was FB so I could like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoJeto View Post
    Pretty much the same way. His defense isn't too great so with one dragon dance+ extreme speed, it can nearly KO him. But like I said, with dual screens, vaporeon can finish him off despite a SD'd hi jump kick. Without my screens, I wouldn't stand a chance in the OU tier.
    Screens aren't a counter to Blaziken. There isn't a counter to Blaziken, so it is Uber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I call hax, type some random racial slur all in caps, then ragequit.
    I wish I was joking, but based off all the naked fights in my front lawn I do pretty well assuming the person isn't trying to kill me.

If smogon was "ban-happy" Latios, Thundurus, and even ferrothorn would have been banned by now
    Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1292 6081 8633
    Pokemon White FC: 1721 2727 6172
    League of Legends: ElTazo

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec_Blaziken View Post
    If smogon was "ban-happy" Latios, Thundurus, and even ferrothorn would have been banned by now
    Well Thundurus was already close to being banned. But both of the other Pokemon you named are easily countered. Latios's STAB's are resisted by Bronzong, and Ferrothorn is taken out easy by any fighting or fire type.
    I wish I was joking, but based off all the naked fights in my front lawn I do pretty well assuming the person isn't trying to kill me.

What annoys me about smogan is that they banned drizzle & swift swim. If Pokemon can learn the moves legally then it should be allowed. (Also the RU tier is stupid cos it's basically the same as the NU tier).

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDENCRS View Post
    Screens aren't a counter to Blaziken. There isn't a counter to Blaziken, so it is Uber.
    Oh, it can be. I've gotten past SB blaze countless times. All you need is a little strategy. I'm pretty used to all the tricks and movesets of the OU tier so it's no wonder why I defeated you with my horrible team lol.
    PKMN White:
    ?

1764-3853-3975

Message me for gen 5 battles. Just try and take down my haphazard team!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterLucario View Post
    Stunfisk. That thing looks wrong everywhere

Oh, it can be. I've gotten past SB blaze countless times. All you need is a little strategy. I'm pretty used to all the tricks and movesets of the OU tier so it's no wonder why I defeated you with my horrible team lol.
    So have I. The argument wasn't that it had no counters, it was how easily it could get past those FEW counters. Its like saying Kyogre in't uber because its common sets are hard countered by Gastrodon.

You can't even slap a scarf on something and say "well if it sets up I can always revenge kill it".

So have I. The argument wasn't that it had no counters, it was how easily it could get past those FEW counters. Its like saying Kyogre in't uber because its common sets are hard countered by Gastrodon.

You can't even slap a scarf on something and say "well if it sets up I can always revenge kill it".
    Perhaps if people incorporated different Pokemon into their majority OU team, they could get pass it easier. Smogon has great guides and strategy tips, but they don't possess every possible one.

And IF you're constantly battling the same pokemon, you can predict what your opponents 'mon are going to do, therefore give leeway for all sorts of situations. Chances are, you'd been in that situation before. Skill is an important factor besides how well rounded a team is.
    PKMN White:
    ?

1764-3853-3975

Quote Originally Posted by alishenai View Post
    What annoys me about smogan is that they banned drizzle & swift swim. If Pokemon can learn the moves legally then it should be allowed. (Also the RU tier is stupid cos it's basically the same as the NU tier).
    Take a copy of BW and play some random matchups until you've faced a few rain teams with Drizzletoed/Kingdra/Ludicolo. You're basically forced to change the weather to win. From my individual experience (dangerous territory) with SS Ludicolo in ubers, SSers can do fine enough in ubers. Plus you can try to put some on your team to make your opponent pay for running rain.

Smogon/PO are trying to add another tier into the Uber/OU/UU/NU system. 155 new pokemon means that the gaps between the top and bottom of tiers are quite wide. Today's UU has a lot of former OU pokes, thanks to all of the now pokemon/gadgets. My understanding is that eventually there will be another NU tier, but the upper tiers need to settle first. Face it, the big three tiers are more important to more people.

I have claimed Giratina

Perhaps if people incorporated different Pokemon into their majority OU team, they could get pass it easier. Smogon has great guides and strategy tips, but they don't possess every possible one.

And IF you're constantly battling the same pokemon, you can predict what your opponents 'mon are going to do, therefore give leeway for all sorts of situations. Chances are, you'd been in that situation before. Skill is an important factor besides how well rounded a team is.
    Adamant @ Life Orb
    252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Swords Dance
    Flare Blitz
    Hi Jump Kick
    Shadow Claw

Name one thing that can safely switch in on this in the sunlight with Stealth Rocks down. Just. One. Thing.. well besides Slowbro (who still takes 70.1% - 82.7% from +2 Shadow Claw.

Adamant @ Life Orb

Swords Dance
    Flare Blitz
    Hi Jump Kick
    Shadow Claw

Name one thing that can safely switch in on this in the sunlight with Stealth Rocks down. Just. One. Thing.. well besides Slowbro.
    Slowking. lol

Actually, Dragonite could probably pull it off without stealth rocks. With stealth Rocks, maybe Golurk?

Meh. We got dis. Powerful vines and all. We whip 'em. With our vines. Powah Whip. :3
    In honor of AlexandriaTheMixed and Project Retribution
    Oh, the shame...

Slowking is OHKOed after Stealth Rocks.

So is Dragonite by +2 sun Flare Blitz even if it runs max/max defense Bold. Even with its armor intact its taking 85.1% - 100.3% from +2 Flare Blitz.

**It wasn't unbeatable, it was just far too easy to overpower its counters.

Palkia seems to be the only one to pull it off. And he's an uber. I tried, and failed. Well, at least this proves why it's an uber.

But if you get rid of stealth rocks with rapid spin, or defog, then I can see hope.

Meh. We got dis. Powerful vines and all. We whip 'em. With our vines. Powah Whip. :3
    Oh, the shame...

Guaranteed OHKO by +0 Hi Jump Kick after Stealth Rocks. Palkia does nothing to slow Blaziken.

Guaranteed OHKO by +0 Hi Jump Kick after Stealth Rocks. Palkia does nothing to slow Blaziken.
    Are you kidding me? The only think I see working now is some huge bulk def Ghost/Rock type pokemon. THAT DOESN'T EXIST.

I think I know my least favorite pokemon now. Actually, the only fail proof set I see is a reuniclus/alakazam with magic guard, and a focus sash. And that's if you DON'T switch in. That, or hope Hi Jump Kick misses.

Oh, the shame...

It would need Slowbro level defenses to survive a +2 Sun Flare Blitz or Shadow Claw, and it would need high attack and Earthquake or something to actually KO Blaziken back. Slowbro has better typing, I would still use rather use that lol.

Adamant @ Life Orb

Swords Dance
    Flare Blitz
    Hi Jump Kick
    Shadow Claw

Name one thing that can safely switch in on this in the sunlight with Stealth Rocks down. Just. One. Thing.. well besides Slowbro (who still takes 70.1% - 82.7% from +2 Shadow Claw.
    I just rely on my dragonite or vaporeon.

Like I said, I usually have dual screens up (and SR) so he's pretty much done with two extreme speeds or surf. If there's sun, vaporeon runs rain dance (which is completely random but shuts a lot of weather teams down.)
    PKMN White:
    ?

1764-3853-3975

Snorlax evo with thick fat... I like it. Nice. Bronzong with heatproof? Wouldnt KO, but maybe it could take a hit? Fighting, and Ghost, and can't do squat damage. Dusknoir with Kasib berry? Doesn't solve fire. Rayquaza with air lock? I like it, but stealth rock would make a flare blitz kill it, probably.

Oh, the shame...

By that logic I can handle Kyogre with Screens and Extremespeed. Doesn't mean its not uber.

You also don't have screens up all the time. Worse, if the only way to SLOW BLAZIKEN DOWN are dual screens do you really think its fair to tell every player "run dual screens and Dragonite or Slowbro otherwise Blaziken 6-0s you"

By that logic I can handle Kyogre with Screens and Extremespeed. Doesn't mean its not uber.
    Thing is, I never said he wasn't an uber. I just can't understand why people cannot figure out how to counter him.
    PKMN White:
    ?

1764-3853-3975

Giratina. Plain and simple counter, resists/immune to both STAB's and Shadow Claw does only 29.9% - 35.4% from Max Attack Blaziken with Adamant to Altered Bold Max Defense. Only counter to Blaziken really.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast