Thread: Ruby and sapphire splitting up?

Default Ruby and sapphire splitting up?

Come on, surely this won't be ruled out as an ending to the ORAS arc? My argument for this is: Ruby's actions are crying out for such a thing happening. As soon as sapphire was trapped in that car in RS she should have known Ruby was not her man. What's the point of gaining all that strength when the very person that inspired you to do so, isn't letting you show it?

They can't split up if they aren't going out to begin with.

Ruby and Sapphire are splitting up? Did they ever even start going out?
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham! Sereevee or Serevee equals Serena+Eevee!

That flashback scene in ORAS where they met new Pokemon together, surely that counts? Plus that Litleonid constellation ticket

While Sapphire would almost certainly have preferred Ruby didn't lock her in Wallace's car, that doesn't mean she was unable to see the subtext that Norman spelled right out to Ruby. He'd spent years as an indifferent, self-absorbed prick, and he'd been that way to Sapphire for a lot of their time in the RS arc, but then she made him remember that way-back-when, he was a hero and he had it in him to be one again. Maybe part of it was that he was overcompensating by going straight from selfishness to self-sacrifice, but mostly, he cut Sapphire out of the final battle because he suspected she might be killed, and go-figure; quite a few people actually were (before Celebi pressed reset), so it's not like there was no logic at all in it.

That didn't seem to bother Sapphire too much, ultimately, because she still seemed to be on good terms with him in the epilogue, but I think what finally broke her was Ruby's pretending not to remember their moment of truth and confession, which is what I'd say soured their relationship in the Emerald arc, where Sapphire declared it to be over.

However, so far in the ORAS arc, they seem more like they're coming together than falling apart. Based on the flashbacks, they weren't necessarily a romantic pair but they had finally become good friends. Agreeing to go around collecting Pokemon with Sapphire is not something Ruby would have done when they couldn't stand each other, nor is it the equivalent of them grudgingly working together to save the other Dexholders; those actions seen in the ORAS flashback were the sort of things friends do. Then there's Ruby's asking Sapphire on what is obviously a date, and Sapphire's attempting to obtain an effeminate Gardevoir just to impress him--it's not like it's the sort of Pokemon she'd normally want! As for the idea that Ruby is getting closer to Zinnia instead, I don't think it's true. As...forward as Ruby's method of restraining Zinnia in those panels were, his intention was restraining her; she's the only one who seemed to have a crush.

So no; I don't think Ruby and Sapphire are heading for a breakup.