Thread: Do the 4th and 6th Chapters have the worst "Main" Characters and Story?

Default Do the 4th and 6th Chapters have the worst "Main" Characters and Story?

Ruby and Sapphire and Emerald Chapters have always rubbed me the wrong way.

For one, Ruby and Sapphire went through very a traumatic event when they were young, which switched their personalities. which is weird, as they show no signs of PSD in the earlier chapters.

Second, is that when Ruby stops "holding back" he's kind of a huge jerk! He left Sapphire trapped in Wallace's aircar so he could fight Groudon and Kyogre. I know he was trying to protect her, but he came off as bigoted, as he's seen Sapphire fight before and knows she can take care of herself. What's more, is he even bullied poor Feebas until it left, and when it evolved and he decided to bring it back into his team because it was "beautiful". He's a very shallow character and tends to get most of the action scenes later on in the Chapter.

Third problem I have is it makes it seem like Sapphire was supposed to go back to being girly and Ruby back to being tough, even though it was just immediately contradict everything we've known about them and who they are as characters.
    If they're supposed to balance each other out, then they'd probably end up very bland characters overall.

Fourth, Celebi deux ex machina.

As for Emerald, he's a bland character and a definite step down from Wally. Most of his Pokémon are also borrowed from Crystal or belonged to someone else. I know that's probably his thing, but over half of his team consists of tagged-on Pokémon that already belong to someone else. The only exception really being Dusclops.

Quote Originally Posted by blob View Post
    Ruby and Sapphire and Emerald Chapters have always rubbed me the wrong way.

For one, Ruby and Sapphire went through very a traumatic event when they were young, which switched their personalities. which is weird, as they show no signs of PSD in the earlier chapters.
    Eh, why would they? There was foreshadowing on Ruby's end, though.

Second, is that when Ruby stops "holding back" he's kind of a huge jerk! He left Sapphire trapped in Wallace's aircar so he could fight Groudon and Kyogre. I know he was trying to protect her, but he came off as bigoted, as he's seen Sapphire fight before and knows she can take care of herself.
    Considering what happened to Steven, Courtney, and Norman, his fears are very much justified.

Let's not forget what would happen if they messed up trying to control Groudon and Kyogre.

What's more, is he even bullied poor Feebas until it left, and when it evolved and he decided to bring it back into his team because it was "beautiful". He's a very shallow character and tends to get most of the action scenes later on in the Chapter.
    Um, NO.

He realized the error of his ways before it evolved. He called it beautiful and then Feefee evolved into Milotic.

Third problem I have is it makes it seem like Sapphire was supposed to go back to being girly and Ruby back to being tough, even though it was just immediately contradict everything we've known about them and who they are as characters.
    If they're supposed to balance each other out, then they'd probably end up very bland characters overall.
    How? I saw nothing like this ever being suggested.

Fourth, Celebi deux ex machina.
    Indeed.

As for Emerald, he's a bland character and a definite step down from Wally.
    Fair enough.

Most of his Pokémon are also borrowed from Crystal or belonged to someone else.
    You can only use three Pokemon in the Frontier. He needed to borrow otherwise he wouldn't have anything to use.

And even if he had his full team from the start, they're not suited to stuff like the Pike or Pyramid.

Pokemon is also about strategy.

I know that's probably his thing, but over half of his team consists of tagged-on Pokémon that already belong to someone else. The only exception really being Dusclops.
    And Sceptile. But yes, I don't like his full team, either. I sort of wish he kept that Mawile, but I guess they had to indirectly promote Mime Jr., Mantyke, and Munchlax.

At least it's implied that Emerald's Snorlax and Red's Snor created Dia's Lax.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    How? I saw nothing like this ever being suggested.
    It seemed like that to me. I mean, they got over the traumatic event, so to me it would be logical that they regressed back to how they were before.

And Sceptile. But yes, I don't like his full team, either. I sort of wish he kept that Mawile, but I guess they had to indirectly promote Mime Jr., Mantyke, and Munchlax.

At least it's implied that Emerald's Snorlax and Red's Snor created Dia's Lax.
    Sceptile belonged to Wally originally, so all but maybe Dusclops either belonged to another trainer or were the same species as a Pokémon which belonged to another trainer.

BTW, you forgot Bonsly.

It seemed like that to me. I mean, they got over the traumatic event, so to me it would be logical that they regressed back to how they were before.

Sceptile belonged to Wally originally, so all but maybe Dusclops either belonged to another trainer or were the same species as a Pokémon which belonged to another trainer.

BTW, you forgot Bonsly.
    Sudowoodo actually did stuff other than be Gen IV promotion.

And no. Sceptile was Emerald's originally. It just ended up in Wally's hands because of the flood. He was going to give it back anyway.

And no. Sceptile was Emerald's originally. It just ended up in Wally's hands because of the flood. He was going to give it back anyway.
    Kind of seems like it would make more sense to me if Emerald got a new Treecko and Wally kept the one he raised.

I wouldn't say celebi was a TOTAL deux ex machina. It was foreshadowed when ruby used it to defeat seviper after meeting sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by Red and Blue View Post
    I wouldn't say celebi was a TOTAL deux ex machina. It was foreshadowed when ruby used it to defeat seviper after meeting sapphire
    Yeah, but why did he keep it for so long? If I had a potential god for a pet, I'd just use it to stop the bad guys from doing whatever before it escalates and people die. :/

Ruby beating Seviper foreshadowed nothing other than that Ruby was hiding his strength.

Nothing implied Celebi's presence.

Ruby beating Seviper foreshadowed nothing other than that Ruby was hiding his strength.

Nothing implied Celebi's presence.
    How about this then? When he first used Celebii, his pokemon at the time were all out of their Poke Balls. That meant he was hiding a secret one that would be used during an important moment.

How about this then? When he first used Celebii, his pokemon at the time were all out of their Poke Balls. That meant he was hiding a secret one that would be used during an important moment.
    Yeah, that's true. I would agree that Celebi's presence was pretty DEM, but at least it was something that they had planned from the very beginning and was (very vaguely) foreshadowed. It wasn't just a last-second resolution that they pulled out of thin air.

Also, I don't really get why people find Emerald to be bland. He is probably my least favorite of all the Dex Holders, but he's still unique. How many other Dex holders had no interest in actually befriending Pokemon? Pre-character development Silver was the closest we ever had to that, and iirc, he was never outright hostile to the idea of befriending Pokemon like Emerald initially was. Granted, I do think that this aspect of Emerald's character definitely could have been handled better; it wasn't outright addressed until pretty late and was then resolved pretty quickly. But still, I do think it at least gives him a unique and somewhat interesting bit of character development.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Again, he should have just sued it before people died.

They'll probably use a Victini Ex Machina to end BW2, TP is basically boss in that chapter since they've claimed all the legendaries except Victini, Keldeo and Meloetta.

Ruby said that he refrained from using Celebi because he wasn't sure why it came to him in the first place. And not only would Celebi not listen to him in normal situations, it would not have been able to do a whole lot until it had access to Red and Blue Orbs. It sured seemed like it needed those two to do... whatever it actually did at the end. And if Celebi stopped Aqua and Magma before they did what they did, it would appear that a Legendary Pokemon attacked a bunch of people for absolutely no reason.

It's like asking why Diamond didn't use Regigigas at EVERY opportunity. It won't listen to him.
    Looking for that ONE Pokemon that you've always wanted but just couldn't get because of the high costs?
    Visit my shop and make a request! It'll only cost you Rare Candies and PP Ups (or PP Max). PT's Perfect Shiny Shop. The simple solution.

Image credits to: FairyWitch

I know that's probably his thing, but over half of his team consists of tagged-on Pokémon that already belong to someone else. The only exception really being Dusclops.
    This bit, I really have to disagree with. While it is factually correct that the majority of his team are recurring mons, he isn't necessarily a bad character for having pokemon of the same species as are allied with another trainer on his team; if he was, the same logic should apply to just about everyone in the series who use the same species.
    If anyone wants to contact me, they can do so at the following sites, under the corresponding name.

Deviantart; XadhoomFanboy.
    Pojo; Xadhoom.
    FF.Net; Zero.Slash.One.
    Serebii Forums; Xadhoom.
    Youtube; Xadhoom Xado.
    MangaFox; Xadhoom.

I swear I didn't mean to kill that thread! Or the other one! Or any of the twenty-fifty threads I've killed. It was pure luck!

Yes, but most Dex holders only share a single species.

And honestly, with 721 Pokemon, there is no reason why any of our 19 Dex holders should ever share a single species member.

I don't mind Dex Holders sharing pokemon as long as there's a good reason for it. For example, I don't mind X owning Charmander because Green may not showup to promote mega Charizard in XY. And even if he did, Charizard DOES have two mega forms.

And I shouldn't have to explain why Red and Yellow each owing a Pikachu makes sense

Although there are 700+ Pokemon in existence, factoring out Legendaries still give about 600, factoring out those of the same evolution chain (so Charmander doesn't count as a separate Pokemon from Charizard) would still give about... I don't know... 300? Something like that? And further factoring out Pokemon that don't seem to belong in a Dex Holder's team (Salamence, Garchomp, Tyranitar, etc) would still give like 200+ Pokemon available for Dex Holders' teams. 19 Dex Holders, 6 Pokemon each gives 114 Pokemon. So... yeah, still plenty of space for every Dex Holder to have completely unique Pokemon.

So I wonder why some Pokemon overlap (aside from obvious ones like Pikachu). I always considered it like... the creators play through the games and make the Pokemon they used to be the Dex Holders' teams. It seems like the most logical thing to do.
    Looking for that ONE Pokemon that you've always wanted but just couldn't get because of the high costs?
    Visit my shop and make a request! It'll only cost you Rare Candies and PP Ups (or PP Max). PT's Perfect Shiny Shop. The simple solution.

I'm more lenient on related species as long as they never evolve (Dia's Lax) or have branching evolutionary paths (Ruby's Rara and Sapphire's Kiruru).

I'll also pass on Silver's Gyarados because it's Shiny.

Oh yeah. Shiny Pokemon are special in Pokemon Special. In that case, wouldn't it be viable for the junior Dex Holders to have a shiny of a Pokemon that the senior Dex Holders have? Like... I don't know... shiny... Weavile?

I'm not sure what the point of more Shinies would be in a black-and-white comic book.

Silver only got Gyarados because it's a plot point in the games.

I guess the shading would be different. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't make X's Lasma a Shiny. Shiny Mega Gengar is a completely different color than regular Mega Gengar. Plus it references the recent event.
    Last edited by lolipiece; 10th May 2015 at 1:30 PM.

I'm not sure what the point of more Shinies would be in a black-and-white comic book.
    For the sake of the VOLUME COVERS!!

Maybe introduce a Garchomp for the Dex Holders and have THAT be shiny. Only recognizable that it IS shiny when it goes Mega.

Only if Y's Froakie was shiny. It could be another "shot" at the meta-gamers out there, as shiny Greninja is like the ONE shiny that everyone wants.

Ironically, Silver's Gyarados only appeared on one cover so far.

Shiny Mega Garchomp, huh? It would be like Pokespe to make meta jokes like that.

I guess Kusaka did not intend to introduce other shiny Pokemon.

Unless there is a special case such as Red Gyarados in future.

Quote Originally Posted by e9310103838 View Post
    I guess Kusaka did not intend to introduce other shiny Pokemon.

Unless there is a special case such as Red Gyarados in future.
    INB4 Shiny Haxorus from Nature Preserve is caught by Lack-Two/Whi-Two.
    MUCHA HAWLUCHA, YEAH!