25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mato

11 44.00%
  • Satoshi Yamamoto

14 56.00%

Thread: Satoshi Yamato or Mato

Default Satoshi Yamato or Mato

Whose drawing style do you prefer?

For me, I think I prefer Mato's. It does stick out more and look more unique, for example Pika looks like a fat rat with an extremely stringy and skinny tail. It was a shock to see Pika looking like a regular old Pikachu in FRLG, other examples are Yellow in Mato's style looks so much better to me than Yamamoto's Yellow. Yamamoto's style looks dynamic too and works well for action scenes. Your thoughts? I'm interested in hearing how everyone chimes in.

Mato is the one who had the deteriorating eyesight, right? That's the one I prefer.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

I prefer Satoshi Yamamoto's! I find his style beautiful. Mato's was brilliant in the beginning with the shading, but then I felt things began to slip in GSC (I think I heard she quit because of arthritis) . :c

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    (I think I heard she quit because of arthritis) . :c
    No, the illness was never specified. But she's healed since then.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Yamamoto.

Mato's chibis were really off-putting in a series like this. It might've worked in another Pokemon manga, but with how Pokespe takes itself seriously, it got obnoxious.

I've found that Yamamoto does much better when it comes to the action scenes and also seems to have a higher level of detail. But Mato's style did much better when a scene was clearly meant to be a joke or the characters were being comical. IMO Yamamoto fits pokemon special better.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Yamamoto, by far. The transition was a little weird, specially in volumes 10-14. But i think he got the handle of it by volume 15.

Mato's style is cute, but I definitely prefer Yamamoto's style overall. I don't know how to explain my preference that well, I just love the way in which Yamamoto draws my favourite characters - they just look so great IMO!
    ~ * * ~

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I prefer Satoshi Yamamoto's! I find his style beautiful. Mato's was brilliant in the beginning with the shading, but then I felt things began to slip in GSC (I think I heard she quit because of arthritis) . :c
    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Yamamoto.

Mato's chibis were really off-putting in a series like this. It might've worked in another Pokemon manga, but with how Pokespe takes itself seriously, it got obnoxious.
    Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    I've found that Yamamoto does much better when it comes to the action scenes and also seems to have a higher level of detail. But Mato's style did much better when a scene was clearly meant to be a joke or the characters were being comical. IMO Yamamoto fits pokemon special better.
    Yamamoto for the reasons quoted above. They also summed up my feelings about Mato pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat! View Post
    Yamamoto, by far. The transition was a little weird, specially in volumes 10-14. But i think he got the handle of it by volume 15.
    I think the reason for that was Yamamoto trying to stay true to the designs for characters Mato already did and trying to not to do his own style too much to make the change less jarring. I'm really glad that he started using his own style starting with Ruby/Sapphire though, and that he just seems to do everything his own way now.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

I really love Mato's chibis. Yes I prefer the chibi's in a story like Pokemon. However I'll say Yamato does much better eyes. I love the way Yamato does the eyes and faces of the characters. So kind of both XD
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

This one panel by Satoshi Yamamoto was very reminiscent of Mato's style to me:

Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

That's because it's a direct callback to the "let's live together" scene from volume 7.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    That's because it's a direct callback to the "let's live together" scene from volume 7.
    Oh yeah, it was! That's a pretty neat thing to do by doing a throwback to the old art style as well.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

I was always a fan of Mato, although he did start to overuse chibis. but in the first few volumes, the artwork is flawless. i find yamamoto's artwork to often look awkward to me, which bothers me, but he's improved a lot since he first started in the GSC chapters

Speaking of which I just found something I've never seen before: Mato's artwork for the Pokemon anime characters!! Take a look: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8355/226973579.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    Oh yeah, it was! That's a pretty neat thing to do by doing a throwback to the old art style as well.
    The recent special Red chapter was done in Mato style as well. I think it's pretty cool that Yamamoto is so versatile with his art.

And yeah, Yamamoto's battle scenes are WAY better.

For some reason, I prefer Yamamoto's. I think it's because it's more dynamic and quirky. I have a thing for styles like that. Mato's art is cute though.

I prefer Mato. In fact, she's my favorite manga artist. Although Satoshi did a pretty good job at the art to

I prefer Satoshi's. It's better in my opinion.
    BIG Marvel fan(Especially of Spider-Man) and proud of it.

I loved mato's style so much. :<

I miss it, even to this day.

Not to say Yamamoto is bad, but I loved the art from the first arc and such. <3
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

I can't seem to decide. I found that Mato's chibi style greatly conveyed the children's enthusiasm and idealistic hope and how it contrasted in the dark, corrupt world of adults, but I found Yamamoto's art in the BW arc to be very good (haven't gotten to GSC or the other arcs yet).
    Pokemon Black Name: Teito
    Pokemon Black FC: 3869 6814 1896

E-Mail Address: firechick25@gmail.com (in case these forums keep getting messed up)
    Pokemon White 2 Name: Serena
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 5072 2733 1563

Pokemon Black 2 Name: Lyra
    Pokemon Black 2 FC: 4771 6442 6877

Pokemon X Name: Rochelle
    FC: 3754-7778-5065
    Friend Safari: Ice
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Bergmite, Snover, Cloyster

I have a UT Male Shiny Foongus for trade if anyone wants it! It's in my White 2 game!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Speaking of which I just found something I've never seen before: Mato's artwork for the Pokemon anime characters!! Take a look: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8355/226973579.jpg
    Wow they're great, are there anymore?

I terribly miss Mato's work. She could convey all characters adorably, yet still being able to make them cool, evil & interesting- never got bored with her works. Too bad it went visibly downhill ever since the eight volume, in my opinion if it's not for the illness she could've shaped PokeSpe wonderfully. What a shame she has to quit

Yamamoto's on the other hand, I liked his work when he first started but it goes downhill from there. Sure, he made the humans -only- look better, but eventually things somehow became very cheesy. Also in later chapters it could be noticed how he cram plenty of stuffs in one panel- sometimes it's hard to see what was drawn in there- or people having the exact same faces in them when their hair or clothes are not shown in those tiny boxes, I gradually stopped buying the manga. Not to mention how he even destroyed a whole lot of major characters like:
    - Red: supposed to be a fairly confident, cool character as last portrayed by Mato in GSC, but became a mainstream cheesy hero who 'would never give up' since FRLG arc
    - Pika: I don't know where to start on the change of the initially cute, hot-headed, loveable Pikachu
    - Yellow: a quiet, determined, mysterious, kind trainer being transformed into a jumpy teenager who can't stop screaming even people's names wherever she goes
    - Gold: laid-back, mischievous, wouldn't-involve-in-troubles-unless-necessary delinquent growing up into a teen doing things in flashy ways & purposely looking for troubles for attention
    - Lance: the change in his face said enough...he's the second most disappointing change in the whole series for me- the only version of Lance I loved was from PokeSpe & he's only there for like, 3 volumes?
    - Green [girl]: oh my God. This. Where did the cool, mischievous Green being hid to by a whiny, justice-crying girl I can't recognize even a glint of similarity?

Definitely not being biased on nostalgia or anything, I've forced myself to love & read Yamamoto's work again & again for the past few years but, oh well. His fighting scenes are good (even if most main characters' Pokemon could handle 100 attacks without fainting & could defeat the armies of opponents with one attack) but still slightly too ironic for me. Tho I've stopped reading on halfway of DPPt arc (again, couldn't handle the cheesiness somehow), heard things would get better in BW so I might give it a shot & resume reading again...
    P/S: sorry for the long rant

No bumping, please.