View Poll Results: How do you feel about his BW captures?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was a mistake, his capture rate should have been like AG, DP and XY

9 29.03%
  • I liked Ash capturing a lot of pokemon but they weren't handled well so I lost interest

17 54.84%
  • No, I liked that he captured a huge amount of Pokemon despite the lack of focus and development

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Ash capturing so many Pokemon in BW a mistake?

Default Was Ash capturing so many Pokemon in BW a mistake?

For some odd reason as a throwback to Kanto, the writers had Ash capture over 10 Pokemon in BW. Whereas in AG Ash only captured 5 Pokemon, in DP he only captured 6, and now in XY his capture rate is looking very similar to those two series.

Yet in BW Ash caught 10 pokemon. Given BW was also faster paced and moved through the Gyms quickly, Ash's Pokemon didn't have much time for development. The following filler island saga after the league didn't help matters.

Unova is the only saga since Johto where Ash doesn't have a fully evolved starter, and its also the only saga where he got all 3 starters again. Coincidence? I think not. The rest of his captures also didn't even do all that much.

What do you think?

Pokemon's motto is gotta catch em all.

So the question should be Was Ash capturing so few Pokemon in BW a mistake?

Yeah it was since the rotation and using all his Unova Pokemon were handled badly since some of his Pokemon were really shafted in that series. If that was handled better then Ash catching alot of Pokemon wouldn't have been a bad idea imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

I've honestly forgotten some of his Unova Pokemon entirely. Its never a good thing when you can't remember what Pokemon Ash had in a region.

It was pulled off better than Ash's "oaked pokemon" concept in OS, and most of the pokemon, while not getting a lot, still got way more than stuff like goldeen, and Horsea.

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

I thought it was a good idea, but the execution was poor. I hope the writers don't try this idea again until they come up with a better way to use it in the future

I thought that it was a good idea, it was just handled poorly.
    Team Rocket will pay for their crimes.

I'm all for catching more than 5 or 6; it can be a good mix and double as more promotion. That said, this was executed very poorly. Seriously, I'd like some more palpitoad please...and not like nimbasa where it was brought back for the sake of being brought back to only be fodder so pikachu could get glory.

The worst mistake in the anime's history imo. Pokemon rotation just doesn't work on the show.

It actually had the potential to be a really good idea, but the writers of course favoured some Pokemon over others and that's why it failed..

Poor Palpitoad was ignored for the most part, along with Swadloon until it evolved again.. and the starters got far less development than they should have done, while most of the randomly captured reserves evolved.

I also didn't like how he apparently trained offscreen with all of his Pokemon to teach them all these convenient moves for the league, because whenever he's captured five or six, we've actually seen the training so it makes sense..

So my answer overall? It could've been good, but they did a rubbish job with it and now it's made me very wary of Ash making any extra captures in future..

I was all for Ash having a larger, more robust team--like most game players actually have--but it was handled very poorly.

Some of them did so little you have to wonder why the creative staff had him get them in the first place.

The adage "It's not the size of your Pokémon Team, but what you do it" came into play with the opposite effect... >_<
    Last edited by Jangobadass; 21st October 2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: 10/23/2014

I also don't know why they didn't evolve Scraggy, since virtually every baby Pokemon in this show evolves and becomes strong.

I think unfezant was shafted the most in BW when it come to the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1000120 View Post
    I think unfezant was shafted the most in BW when it come to the rotation.
    And Palpitoad too, who once went missing for about 8 months. That's how poorly BW handled rotation. :x

Its funny that I can remember every single Pokemon Ash had on all his other teams in the other series except for in BW.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Its funny that I can remember every single Pokemon Ash had on all his other teams in the other series except for in BW.
    The only unova pokemon I felt was handled decently well was snivy. Everything other than that was irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
    Does Dawn own Misty? Yes she does!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    The only unova pokemon I felt was handled decently well was snivy. Everything other than that was irrelevant.
    Snivy had a problem with size in battle which was never resolved, she had a backstory with a previous trainer that was never explored, she did terrible in terms of gym victories, getting a single ONE, iirc.. against a water/ground type..

Honestly the only BW Pokemon I can think of that received some true love from the writers is.. uummm.. no sorry I can't think of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    Snivy had a problem with size in battle which was never resolved, she had a backstory with a previous trainer that was never explored, she did terrible in terms of gym victories, getting a single ONE, iirc.. against a water/ground type..

Honestly the only BW Pokemon I can think of that received some true love from the writers is.. uummm.. no sorry I can't think of anything.
    I'd say krookodile did really well in most of it's battles, and had a funny personality. Boldore was cool outside the Roxie battle, being pretty detrimental to defeating Cameron's hydreigon, Oshawott got a hella lot of screen-time, and beat Cilan, which was nice. Pignite got plenty of battles, and really pulled though defeating both ferrotthorn and hydreigon.

Let's not overdo how terrible they were, they could at least get to top 8 by their own, which the johto pokemon clearly wasnt capable of.

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

The idea was good, since there was a good variety of Pokemon, but the execution was quite bad. Most of the screentime went to the starters, Scraggy and later Krokorok, instead of spreading it more evenly. And that was the problem.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

I liked it.

I didn't really mind that the individual Pokemon weren't given much focus because there's usually one or two in a regional team that gets knocked to the side, anyway. None of Ash's Unova Pokemon really struck me as a breakout star like Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, ect. so I didn't really think anything was missed by having rotation.

I figured if Ash only had Pikachu, Starters, Bird, and a Wildcard the Regional Team would look exactly the same. Krookodile would probably be the sixth ranger. The way we actually got it Ash was able to have some really good unconventional reserves in Palpitoad, Levanny, and Boldore. It gave us a way of seeing Ash with Pokemon he generally wouldn't catch/use for a regional team.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post

Krookodile and Pignite were probably the best handled ones. Scraggy too but why no Scrafty tho?

Signature Credit: The Comet
    My Tumblr

Pignite was shafted in terms of wins.

Why they deprived him of that watchog in the quarter finals I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Pignite was shafted in terms of wins.

Why they deprived him of that watchog in the quarter finals I'll never know.
    Why they had that quarter final battle in general I'll never know. At least Pignite go to kill Hydregion and should have been recalled so it could have beaten Lucario.

Signature Credit: The Comet
    My Tumblr

So much potential, if they'd done it right it could've been Ash's greatest team ever.

Pikachu, Unfezant, Dewott, Emboar, Serperior, Scraggy, Leavanny, Seismitoad, Gigalith and Krookodile, I'd have been made up with that.

Rotation wasn't the problem, them merch-whoring was.

If rotation was done correctly(EVERYONE but Pikachu being swapped out REGULARLY) it could of been handled great. Instead they made it so only one slot was rotated for the majority of the region.

In my opinion, every pokemon could of gotten at the max 12 episodes to themselves prior to and including the league(108 episodes/9(Pikachu doesn't need episodes so he doesn't count)).

Now this obviously doesn't count fillers, so lets say make it 8x9=72 so 30 or so fillers+other character episodes.

My point being, even with fillers and other character development, they could of still each gotten like 5-8 episodes to themselves which would of been a vast improvement to what happened.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast