36 50.70%
  • Dub

11 15.49%
  • Both

24 33.80%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub, Dub or Both?

Default Sub, Dub or Both?

I've caught up with the dubbed episodes of XYZ, and want to know if it's worthwhile just switching over to the subbed episodes.

What do people watch on this board: the subbed Japanese, the dubbed American or both?

Thanks!

I watch both. Personally I prefer the japanese sub a little more, but the dub is in english so it's easier for me to comprehend and also they do some scenes better at times.

I check out the dub every once in a while just because its nice to watch the anime without looking at the bottom of the screen all the time. But generally speaking the music and the VA are significantly sub par compared to the sub. You lose a ton of emotion because they just cant replicate the same feelings the Japanese VA's evoke.

I expect the dubbed Snowbelle arc to be cringy but who knows.

I would watch the dub one since I only understand English.

I understand Japanese so there is no point for me to watch the dub.

I used to watch the dub but after trying out subs, dubs just seemed to have gotten too cringey for me to watch.
    Last edited by Vetryx; 8th August 2016 at 7:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetryx View Post
    I used to watch the dub but after trying out subs, dubs just seemed to have gotten too cringey for me to watch.
    I feel your pain. How I continue to watch the dub is beyond me.

Dub utterly ruins the music so stick the sub even if it's a little slow

I didnt start watching subs till DP, so looking back some of the dub lines are pretty cringeworthy.

A perfect example of how damaging the dub can be is the fire pokemon movie
    Last edited by Red and Blue; 8th August 2016 at 7:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaz View Post
    I feel your pain. How I continue to watch the dub is beyond me.
    Yep especially the greninja voice difference for me makes me dislike the XYZ dub even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Dub utterly ruins the music so stick the sub even if it's a little slow
    Agreed. The OTS during battles in the sub make them way better than the dub, it just doesn't feel right without the "Iku Z!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vetryx View Post
    Yep especially the greninja voice difference for me makes me dislike the XYZ dub even more.

Agreed. The OTS during battles in the sub make them way better than the dub, it just doesn't feel right without the "Iku Z!"
    Greninja sounds way more badass in the japanese. He just sounds like a normally frog in the dub. And yeah, the battle music shouldn't really change much.

I'm okay with the dub, but the original score and voice acting is so much more entertaining to me.
    ~ ~
    The 1st Champions of Alola

I watch both.

Sub and only sub.

Sub definitely wins in quality, though that might only be because I'm focusing on the subtitles, the acting might sound decent in a different language, but we don't know if they emote the dialogue properly in it's native language. Music and editing however is still a clear win (why can't the dub even be assed to change the title cards?).

That said there's some mythos from the dub that still stick with me. When I think of Meowth I think of a brooklyn wise guy rather than high pitched cat with a 'nya' verbal tic.

Sub.

But the dub is fine from Season 1 - 8.

Dub for me. I will watch some subbed but can only get past a few mins before getting annoyed by the voices. Are the music scores different? Yes but since the music has been trash since DP in the original ended who cares?
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/20p655d.jpg[/IMG]
    The Electrical Rainbow Princess of Unova

Sub. Simply for the music. It completely changes episodes for me.

Although the voice acting in the dub is decent.
    "Why do you smile so much?"
    "Because smiling gives me the strength to live."
    "It may not work for you, it obviously won't work for everybody but it definitely works for me."

It's my time for shameless advertising!

Reflection
    On his flight back to Kanto, Ash is reflecting on his time with a certain "friend". An Amourshipping story.

Sub, the music is one of the best things about the show. The dub loses the openings, endings, and omake segments too.

I used to watch the dub religiously, but when I found out about sub during DP, I started to flock to that. Nowadays I mainly watch sub, but I have watched some dub, and... I remember later DP and BW being decently dubbed. Why did later XY turn so bad with it's music?

I have an obsession with a Make Believe Band. <3

Definitely the subbed one is better, but if you're not very fluent in Japanese than you will need to read the subtitles and you can't do anything while watching it.

Many of the dubbed voices are ear wrenching.
    We all live in a Pokémon world.
        Spoiler:- ❤️:

Both. I like the 4kids dub a lot. The TPCI dub not so much but I'll still watch it. Though with the newer seasons I prefer to watch the sub first.

Quote Originally Posted by catzeye View Post
    Both. I like the 4kids dub a lot. The TPCI dub not so much but I'll still watch it. Though with the newer seasons I prefer to watch the sub first.
    I still like 4kids' dub too, it's genuinely funny. IIRC they also kept more of the music back then.

Subs, as much as possible. I wish I didn't 'retire' from Pokemon for so long as it's quite hard if not impossible to find subs for the older seasons I missed thinking I was already too old for it, lol.
    I grew with the Spanish dub. I outgrew it as soon as I heard it again.
    English dub have always been cringy imo, specially 4Kids' original.

I chose sub. Mostly because of the fact that I love the original material/BGM/soundtrack and how the voice actors take their jobs a lot more seriously and with emotion. I would recommend watching the dub episodes but considering that sometimes, things don't translate well (like for example, when Fletchinder evolved into Talonflame and attacked Moltres with Brave Bird, in the dub, Ash asked what Brave Bird was despite owning a Staraptor with Brave Bird while in the sub, he knew what it was and was interrupted by Clemont) and 4Kids was notorious for their Americanization of Japanese cartoons and censoring/editing.

Maybe it was better for me to chose both! The dub isn't bad, I just don't like their choice of dialogue for the characters, the voice direction & how some of the character sound (I'm looking at you Bonnie, Goodra, & Meowth...) but there are a bunch that fit their characters really well like Clemont, Dawn, Noibat, Langley, and Serena. Mind you, I'm talking about TPCi. 4Kids made brilliant music, hired a great cast of voice actors, and successfully made Pokémon their most beloved product but TPCi has the most accurate translations and didn't edit out much outside of music.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast