Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moments in the Anime That Don't Make Sense

Default Moments in the Anime That Don't Make Sense

We've all had times when we just stare at the anime and think "Okay, what did I just watch?"

Mine would be any time the anime messes up the type chart. Yes, I understand this is an adaptation and things go through changes, but you have to make changes that make sense. Having shadow ball harm normal types in one episode then have them be ineffective against them in another is insanity.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

One that many remember- Thunder Armor. Just...what? Came out of left field, didn't make much sense, and hasn't been seen since.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

When stuff like Water Gun or Razor Leaf cause explosions. Like wtf.

Hmmm I'd have to say Thunder Armor and type advantage inconsistencies.

In one the episodes in the BW series where Ash sends out Pikachu to fight Iris' Excadrill and starts said battle by ordering Pikachu to use Thunderbolt. Also agree the Thunder Armour thing was a bit silly as well.
    Last edited by Tsukuyomi56; 12th March 2016 at 1:34 AM.

Credit to Brutaka for the awesome banner!
    I have claimed Drapion and Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles.

When Electric attacks worked on Ground Pokemon like Geodude.
    When Shadow Ball has hurt Normal Pokemon.
    When Team Galactic's Sludge Bomb worked on those Skarmony's.
    Brock keeping on approaching women the wrong way on later episodes.
    To name a few...

I've never understand the problem everyone has with Thunder Armor. Sure it's silly, but it's no different from all the other improvised moves we see across the show, especially the ones performed in contests. Personally, I like the idea of improvised moves, it's more creative and fun to watch.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for news, reviews, info on my custom games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

In Mewtwo Returns, I believe it is, there are baby Nidoqueen XD
    We all live in a Pokémon world.
        Spoiler:- ❤️:

Quote Originally Posted by Lexya428 View Post
    Speaking of which, why is there even a 2nd Mewtwo when only TR's scientists on New Island knew how to make one...

Quote Originally Posted by Lexya428 View Post
    If that was a mistake, it would be the most ridiculous, lazy, and bizarre mistakes to make, so I assume they did it on purpose. Assuming they did on purpose, the explanation is probably that Nidoqueen's clone anatomy causes it to reproduce differently. Maybe because it was born a Nidoqueen, its babies are too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillachu View Post
    Speaking of which, why is there even a 2nd Mewtwo when only TR's scientists on New Island knew how to make one...
    I like to think about that as being similar to the atomic bomb during the end of WWII/beginning of the Cold War. In theory only the US knew how to make an atomic bomb, but within almost no time at all the Soviets also got a bomb. This was due to a combination of independent research leading to the same conclusion and spying on the US. Either could have been the case with the second Mewtwo. Either they had spies or some sort of information on the original Mewtwo's creation or there truly is only one way to make a superior Mew, and that's Mewtwo.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for news, reviews, info on my custom games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

1. The episode in XY where Rotom takes Ash and his friends back in time to help it's past self win a battle with a Krokodile. That didn't make a lick of sense as 1 )Rotom can't time travel and 2) Ash shouldn't be able to change events in the future that he already knew were going to happen or why would have a traveled back in time in the first place.

2. The episode where Ash travels to a Parallel Universe through a window in the cave of mirrors. Seriously, what was that about. How on earth did parallel universes make it into Pokémon.

3. Everyone's favourite - Ash is still 10 at the beginning of BW when it's clearly stated his journeys have lasted more than a year. There's an episode in the original Series where Misty confirms they'd been travelling in Kanto for a year.

4. Why does Fennekin eat twigs. It's a fox.

5. Where on earth does Clemont store all those inventions. In his bag? some of them are larger than he is (no wonder he can't run very fast). And how on earth does a 10 year old build all that stuff anyway.

6. Where exactly is Milos Island. It's stated in the anime to be off the coast of Driftveil, but Driftveil sits on the mouth of one of Unova's two rivers - There is a bridge between the city and Nimbassa. Not only that but in the anime it was shown you could see the other side from the entrance to the bridge. How does an island fit in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukuyomi56 View Post
    In one the episodes in the BW series where Ash sends out Pikachu to fight Iris' Excadrill and starts said battle by ordering Pikachu to use Thunderbolt. Also agree the Thunder Armour thing was a bit silly as well.
    I don't see what the problem with that is - Ash knew it wasn't going to work. He order it because thunderbolt was sort of a signature move indicative of the bond between them.

And that battle sucked.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 12th March 2016 at 6:07 AM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple.

By Ivy the Snivy

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu52 View Post
    1. The episode in XY where Rotom takes Ash and his friends back in time to help it's past self win a battle with a Krokodile. That didn't make a lick of sense as 1 )Rotom can't time travel and 2) Ash shouldn't be able to change events in the future that he already knew were going to happen or why would have a traveled back in time in the first place.
    Okay, yes, Rotom probably can't time travel, but as a big sci-fi nerd I say the rules of time travel are something that shouldn't be scrutinized unless there's something majorly wrong (and by that I mean something bigger than a causality loop). We don't even know enough to truly begin to speculate what makes sense and what doesn't in time travel.

2. The episode where Ash travels to a Parallel Universe through a window in the cave of mirrors. Seriously, what was that about. How on earth did parallel universes make it into Pokémon.
    Have you played the Delta Episode?

3. Everyone's favourite - Ash is still 10 at the beginning of BW when it's clearly stated his journeys have lasted more than a year. There's an episode in the original Series where Misty confirms they'd been travelling in Kanto for a year.
    I guess I'll give you that one. Best just to ignore it.

4. Why does Fennekin eat twigs. It's a fox.
    It's not a fox, it's a Fennekin. Asking why it eats twigs is like asking why does Pikachu create electrical discharges.

5. Where on earth does Clemont store all those inventions. In his bag? some of them are larger than he is (no wonder he can't run very fast). And how on earth does a 10 year old build all that stuff anyway.
    Maybe he invented some sort of hyperspace storage device? (Probably just cartoon logic though...)

6. Where exactly is Milos Island. It's stated in the anime to be off the coast of Driftveil, but Driftveil sits on the mouth of one of Unova's two rivers - There is a bridge between the city and Nimbassa. Not only that but in the anime it was shown you could see the other side from the entrance to the bridge. How does an island fit in there.
    Well...I just took a look at the Unova map and it does show an island off the coast of Driftveil. Even if that island isn't it, Driftveil looks pretty close to the ocean, it doesn't have to be immediately off the coast, just close enough so that Driftveil is the closest city to it.

Check it out!

I would say Bulbapedia's anime policies....

But, for the sake of being on topic, I feel Pignite getting Bullet Seed up its nose...I always thought that solid components of attacks simply vanished...Can Bullet Seed be planted to grow a Bullet Seed plant? ARGGHHH! It makes no sense?!
    Do you think Ash will get a 6th Capture, Goodra will return, or both? Put #TeamGoodra , #Team6thCapture , or #TeamGoodraAND6thCapture in your signature to state your opinion. Which side are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    Okay, yes, Rotom probably can't time travel, but as a big sci-fi nerd I say the rules of time travel are something that shouldn't be scrutinized unless there's something majorly wrong (and by that I mean something bigger than a causality loop). We don't even know enough to truly begin to speculate what makes sense and what doesn't in time travel.
    I'm not saying that time travel as a trope or plot device doesn't have it's place but I think it's something better reserved for sic-fi rather than fantasy and certainly not in a Pokémon anime where it was used a cheap plot device to showcase Rotom. If you're going to write about time travel then write about it properly and at least follow some rules. That's why I was left thinking "what" at the end of Rotom's wish.

Have you played the Delta Episode?
    I don't think it mention parallel universes. I thought the warp panel on the rocket was only meant to teleport the Asteroid. It's probably again something that should be reserved to Sci-fi or to a genre or narrative that deals with it effectively, rather than Pokémon. stick to the world that's already been created.

Well...I just took a look at the Unova map and it does show an island off the coast of Driftveil. Even if that island isn't it, Driftveil looks pretty close to the ocean, it doesn't have to be immediately off the coast, just close enough so that Driftveil is the closest city to it.
    It's not on the more detailed maps. That might just be the bridge or the lighthouse. And the Milos Island episodes implied the island was a distance out to sea. For that to be the case it would need to be quite a long way to the south. Driftveil doesn't have a coastline as such given it's a fair way up the tract of the river.

I guess I'll give you that one. Best just to ignore it.
    I do. It actually doesn't bother me at all. I quite like it to be honest, though I wish Ash were 16 or 17 as opposed to 10 (he acts more that age). I only brought it up because if I didn't somebody else would have. Hence saying everyones favourite. It gets mentioned here all the time - Ash's age even had a thread devoted to it at one point.

Now. Some more things that don't make sense

1. Why do Clemont's Pokémon obey the Clembot. It's a machine, not a person. It looks and sounds nothing like Clemont.
    2. And for that matter, why would they obey a robot over Clemont himself. Clemont's their trainer, not some machine. They should be loyal to him.
    3. In fact it makes no sense for Pokémon to take instructions to a machine at all. They're intelligent sentient creatures. The whole Clembot plot and Clemont getting locked out of the gym sounds like some creepy Pokémon version of Hazel O'connor's song Eighth day [On the eighth day machine just got upset [On the eighth day machine just got upset. A problem man had never seen as yet]. It's inconsistent with the anime's internal logic because its stated on several occasions that Pokémon will only fight for trainers they respect and that the best way to bring out a Pokémon strength is to bond with it. A computer would never be able to understand those Pokémon the way Clemont could. Were they obeying Clembot over Clemont out of fear - I sincerely hope not.
    4. And while we're on the subject. Why in the episode with the evil Clembot do the two robots have a Pokémon battle for their commanders. If your just programming a robot to give orders to a Pokémon why not cut out the middle man (or mahcine)
    5. Plus, speaking of Clemont, how did Luxray get so strong. Clemont only had it for a few episodes before it evolved and it only had a few battles before fighting Ash where it took out Hawlutcha and Pikachu. There's no way Luxray is stronger than Pikachu.
    6. Why does nobody ever acknowledge that Dedenne is a fairy type. Clemont only ever refers to it as an electric type and it only seems to use electric type moves.
    7. Why is Zygarde core, a super powerful legendary defender of the ecosystem putting up with a little girl squeezing it, putting it in her purse and giving it the demeaning nickname "Squishy." It's got more patience than I do.
    8. Why did Groudon and Kyogre decided to start fighting again in the Mega Evolution Special. I thought they settled that in AG - and they only fought then because Archie was controlling Kyogre with the blue orb and Groudon wanted to stop it. And where was Rayquaza during all of this - on holiday.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 12th March 2016 at 1:20 PM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple.

By Ivy the Snivy

Ash still being ten o.O

I mean, you could see him aging, until his design in BW, and then he's suddenly ten again. DP Ash looked at least 14 to me.
    "There's only One Tree Hill, Lucas, and it's your home"
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Come over to the light and enjoy subbed like the rest of us in PAD spoilers.

1. XY having the habit of making companions completely unmemorable when they're not the focus.

2. Ash somehow being one of the flattest characters on the show.

3. The time-space warp in the Hoopa movie. What the hell?
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Uhm. What about Lt. Surge? If Pikachu is 1'4"... wouldn't that make him more than 8 feet tall?!
    We all live in a Pokémon world.
        Spoiler:- ❤️:

I don't think it mention parallel universes. I thought the warp panel on the rocket was only meant to teleport the Asteroid. It's probably again something that should be reserved to Sci-fi or to a genre or narrative that deals with it effectively, rather than Pokémon. stick to the world that's already been created.

It did. They said they were going to warp it to an alternate universe.

"Momentai!"

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    1. XY having the habit of making companions completely unmemorable when they're not the focus.

2. Ash somehow being one of the flattest characters on the show.

3. The time-space warp in the Hoopa movie. What the hell?
    1. um what? Giving less screen time to a comp will make them less likely to be remembered? That actually makes sense

2. I think the writers want to make him a self insert. Its funny when most people would rather be Alain than Ash. On that note I cry when Alain is getting major development with Manon's chespin while Ash hasn't shown deep emotion since DP. I want to see Ash struggle and show the fire that he had back then. It feels like he doesn't even care about winning the league anymore.

3. I have nothing here. Just let to the movies do what they do and mind wipe yourself after the viewing :P

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneStar View Post
    1. um what? Giving less screen time to a comp will make them less likely to be remembered? That actually makes sense

2. I think the writers want to make him a self insert. Its funny when most people would rather be Alain than Ash. On that note I cry when Alain is getting major development with Manon's chespin while Ash hasn't shown deep emotion since DP. I want to see Ash struggle and show the fire that he had back then. It feels like he doesn't even care about winning the league anymore.

3. I have nothing here. Just let to the movies do what they do and mind wipe yourself after the viewing :P
    1. When you can take a character's dialogue and give it to anyone else in the room without making it seem out of character, then you have a problem.

2. It's sad when the characters in the games show that they are a rounder character than him. Nate and Rosa show that they're hammy actors and trainers. You can have a self-insert while still having a character.

3. Don't even get me started on the movies. I sometimes feel like Ash is having a delusional drug trip because some fit into continuity, some don't.

"Momentai!"

I'm not saying that time travel as a trope or plot device doesn't have it's place but I think it's something better reserved for sic-fi rather than fantasy and certainly not in a Pokémon anime where it was used a cheap plot device to showcase Rotom. If you're going to write about time travel then write about it properly and at least follow some rules. That's why I was left thinking "what" at the end of Rotom's wish.
    Debates about where time travel belongs aside, nine out of ten actual sci-fi series will have very similar time travel plots. And it is mostly excusable as not breaking any rules, since we don't know what the rules are. There are some logical ways to assume it does work though.

No, when Zinnia's telling Stephen not to use the Link Cable, it's because it will send the meteor to fall on another Hoenn, one that never had Mega Evolution, and thus could not protect itself. Besides, parallel universes have always been present in Pokemon since day 1. Just think about Red vs. Blue Version. They're almost exactly the same as each other, but have slight differences. The same can be said for every time a player starts a new game. The fact that in the Delta Episode it's a Link Cable that teleports across things across he multiverse is a reference to the fact that in Game Boy games you would use the link cable to trade with someone else who looks nearly identical to you and has gone through almost the exact same events, hence making them an alternative universe version of your character. Black and White also made direct references towards there being another world that is similar but different. Personally, I think it was an absolute genius move to directly mention them.

It's not on the more detailed maps. That might just be the bridge or the lighthouse. And the Milos Island episodes implied the island was a distance out to sea. For that to be the case it would need to be quite a long way to the south. Driftveil doesn't have a coastline as such given it's a fair way up the tract of the river.
    The only answer I can give here is that the anime maps and game maps don't line up normally. It would seem that the games give a simplified version of the map for the sake of ease of programming, while the anime fleshes out the map more.

[*]Why do Clemont's Pokémon obey the Clembot. It's a machine, not a person. It looks and sounds nothing like Clemont.[*]And for that matter, why would they obey a robot over Clemont himself. Clemont's their trainer, not some machine. They should be loyal to him. [*]In fact it makes no sense for Pokémon to take instructions to a machine at all. They're intelligent sentient creatures. The whole Clembot plot and Clemont getting locked out of the gym sounds like some creepy Pokémon version of Hazel O'connor's song Eighth day [On the eighth day machine just got upset [On the eighth day machine just got upset. A problem man had never seen as yet].
    I'd assume that Clemont told his Pokemon to listen to Clembot before he left. they probably just took him too literally. Also, Clemont was never shown actually reasoning with his Pokemon and trying to get them to listen to him.

It's inconsistent with the anime's internal logic because its stated on several occasions that Pokémon will only fight for trainers they respect and that the best way to bring out a Pokémon strength is to bond with it. A computer would never be able to understand those Pokémon the way Clemont could. Were they obeying Clembot over Clemont out of fear - I sincerely hope not.
    In addition to what I just said about Clemont telling them to listen to Clembot, Clembot seems to be more of an android with AI than a robot. Bringin sci-fi into the mix once more, that could allow him to gain the respect from the Pokemon.

[*]Plus, speaking of Clemont, how did Luxray get so strong. Clemont only had it for a few episodes before it evolved and it only had a few battles before fighting Ash where it took out Hawlutcha and Pikachu. There's no way Luxray is stronger than Pikachu.
    He was infered to do a lot of off-screen training when he left early for his gym. Also, it is normal in the show for a Pokemon to get a significant power boost when they evolve, regardless of training. It's not absolute, but it is a factor.

[*]Why does nobody ever acknowledge that Dedenne is a fairy type. Clemont only ever refers to it as an electric type and it only seems to use electric type moves.
    Because the Fairy-Type is pure evil.

More seriously, because there's no need to. There was a mention of it back in the episode with Slyveon, and they also showed it gaining energy from Xerneas' Fairy Aura, but otherwise there's been no need to mention it.

[*]Why is Zygarde core, a super powerful legendary defender of the ecosystem putting up with a little girl squeezing it, putting it in her purse and giving it the demeaning nickname "Squishy." It's got more patience than I do.
    I agree that it's degrading, but it probably puts up with it because with Bonnie and the others it gets protection from Team Flare.

[*]Why did Groudon and Kyogre decided to start fighting again in the Mega Evolution Special. I thought they settled that in AG - and they only fought then because Archie was controlling Kyogre with the blue orb and Groudon wanted to stop it. And where was Rayquaza during all of this - on holiday.
    Whatever this Legendary Giant Rock (I still laugh at its name) is, it was enough to draw them back out of there slumber.

Quote Originally Posted by OfCorsola View Post
    Ash still being ten o.O

I mean, you could see him aging, until his design in BW, and then he's suddenly ten again. DP Ash looked at least 14 to me.
    I will never understand why people are so adamant that he was aging. He's always looked exactly the same age to me. Maybe he's matured a little, but I really don't think he's physically aged at all. Apparently I'm one of the only people pre-Unova that thought Ash was still 10.

Check it out!

I will never understand why people are so adamant that he was aging. He's always looked exactly the same age to me. Maybe he's matured a little, but I really don't think he's physically aged at all. Apparently I'm one of the only people pre-Unova that thought Ash was still 10.
    You and me both. The only thing that gave me the impression he was aging was when the voice actor switch happened, and even I a child, I just looked at the credits to see that was not the case.

"Momentai!"

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneStar View Post
    It feels like he doesn't even care about winning the league anymore.
    Well after failing 5 times, who can blame him. He's probably disillusioned by now.

I'd assume that Clemont told his Pokemon to listen to Clembot before he left. they probably just took him too literally. Also, Clemont was never shown actually reasoning with his Pokemon and trying to get them to listen to him.

In addition to what I just said about Clemont telling them to listen to Clembot, Clembot seems to be more of an android with AI than a robot. Bringin sci-fi into the mix once more, that could allow him to gain the respect from the Pokemon.
    I still question why Heliolisk and the others were happy about being dumped at the gym with an souless android for a trainer while Clemont went running off with Ash. It's making the Pokémon out to be much less intelligent and emotionally mature than they're supposed to be. I can't see Pikachu or Oshawott being happy to follow instructions from a robot.

By Ivy the Snivy

I still question why Heliolisk and the others were happy about being dumped at the gym with an souless android for a trainer while Clemont went running off with Ash. It's making the Pokémon out to be much less intelligent and emotionally mature than they're supposed to be. I can't see Pikachu or Oshawott being happy to follow instructions from a robot.
    Ekans used the "Just following orders" card. I don't see why Clemont's pokemon can't do that.

"Momentai!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast