Thread: Do you prefer sagas to share screen time evenly between cast members?

Default Do you prefer sagas to share screen time evenly between cast members?

I think two of the biggest of the complains about SM and XY was about the balance of screentime between each characters. Usually Ash (XY) and Lillie (SM) are the ones to blame for hogging the scream time. Personally the only time I've thought screentime was decently distributed was during OS (Kanto) and BW. AG was when they slowly started making Brock less important and by the time DP came about he was basically forgotten. I don't have much of a problem with a character receiving more screentime than others IF they are interesting and can keep an episode about them/the overall story interesting. Some characters are simply boring and don't deserve the screentime. What's your take on this? Do you need every character to shine equally or not?
    Last edited by AshxSatoshi; 15th February 2018 at 8:38 AM.
    "It's weird people refuse to watch BW yet hate Iris for the sole purpose that she calls Ash a kid. Her catchphrase is supposed to be ironic, she's a kid herself.

Ash is the main character, so he should get the greatest proportion of screentime. Regarding the main group, it depends on the characters and their goals. For example, in XY, Serena had a collection goal and was the main girl, while Bonnie was Clemont's little sister, didn't have multiple Pokemon, and didn't have a major goal, so she should get less than Serena. At the end of the day though, each character should have some development/arc that is properly fleshed out, however much time it takes.

I'm not too keen on characters having too much difference in screentime since I find there is no reason to be invested in or interested in one character more than another.

Credit to Satomine Night for this banner. <3

Imo I think the female lead should get the most screentime with the 3rd wheel getting the second most. Ash should be demoted in screentime since he's not going anywhere anyways and I feel that with all the screentime he gets, it holds the other main characters back. And besides like with Team Rocket getting less screentime, at least in this series and in BW, it feels like that they are being written in more meaningful ways than just being a plot device for conflict every episode; so I think the same thing could happen with Ash as well.
    ~Tier lists are annoying~

~Biggest DP fan...apparently ~

Quote Originally Posted by Navin View Post
    Ash is the main character, so he should get the greatest proportion of screentime. Regarding the main group, it depends on the characters and their goals. For example, in XY, Serena had a collection goal and was the main girl, while Bonnie was Clemont's little sister, didn't have multiple Pokemon, and didn't have a major goal, so she should get less than Serena. At the end of the day though, each character should have some development/arc that is properly fleshed out, however much time it takes.
    Yeah, Ash should get the lion's share of screentime, or at least more than enough to see he's above everyone else in terms of importance.

XY's problem was basically dropping development once they finished their goal (Clemont and Serena) or not starting it until the last third of the series (Bonnie). SM seems pretty balanced so far, if we consider Lillie to be the de facto Poké Girl (and we should), then she is second in importance after Ash, and should also get proportionately more focus and screentime. Everyone else is about equal, with a bit of preference to Lana since she has the third starter.
    Hey, the new subs I found do use Snowball. I win.

I enjoy writing.

Some people want to blend into the crowd.
    Some people want to stand out from the crowd.
    I want to be the crowd.

Currently patiently waiting for my crazy theories to pan out.

Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

I've yet to see any saga juggle the cast's development in equal amounts, so it's hard to say. I did like how Best Wishes made a decent attempt at doing that however, so I wish the current saga would treat its principal cast the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    Yeah, Ash should get the lion's share of screentime, or at least more than enough to see he's above everyone else in terms of importance.

XY's problem was basically dropping development once they finished their goal (Clemont and Serena) or not starting it until the last third of the series (Bonnie). SM seems pretty balanced so far, if we consider Lillie to be the de facto Poké Girl (and we should), then she is second in importance after Ash, and should also get proportionately more focus and screentime. Everyone else is about equal, with a bit of preference to Lana since she has the third starter.
    I'd say Serena got less screentime pre-goal than after goal. She still got quite the bit of developmental screentime through the Greninja arc and Flare arc, but there's no denying Clemont got the shortest end of the stick.

In general, though, I think it's impossible to perfectly balance screentime unless you only have 2 characters as leads and everyone else is a sheer revolving character. Even in larger series with big recurring casts like One Piece there are still those that get lots of screentime and those that don't. Really, the moment you bump it up to three cast members is the moment someone is going to suffer, sadly, and then it becomes a case of trying to mitigate it.

If the show involves Ash, I think it's gonna be hard to balance the cast and I do agree that the main Pokegirls would get the most amount of screentime after Ash.

But if there's an adventure about the Pokegirls being together without Ash, then it's more possible to balance each of them evenly. I know it's not possible for the writers to make such a thing, but I already mentioned what I really wanted to see from the companions.
    Last edited by AznKei; 16th February 2018 at 5:45 AM.

Yes, they should, I don’t think this series is working with so many main characters, it leaves me wanting to see more from the characters like Mallow and Sophocles.

I know people will complain about Brock in DP, but for me, that worked. Ash is the main character so he will get the most screen time, whilst Brock has been around enough that we were invested in him and he didn’t need all that much focus. Which then meant that Dawn could get lots of focus and plenty of opportunities to shine, which in turn allows you to invest in the character. Brock still has the odd episode now and again so he’s not completely irrelevant and still add something to the show.

BW did well at giving the 2 companions equal screentime too.

I’m not fussed on more than 2 companion groups, Max wasn’t needed and didn’t add anything new, he literally just took away from Brock by becoming navigator. Whilst Serena did nothing for the longest of times and Clemont and Bonnie didn’t add all that much until the Team Flare Arc.

So I’d like Ash, and a new companion, and old companion group, with them switching the old companion out for the new companion at the end of each saga for example, Using SM now going into next gen, Lillie stays on, with Ash and her going to new region, meeting new companion and then by the end of the saga, Lillie departs whilst the current companion stays on to next the end of next gen, keeping it fresh and is not having to invest in lots of new characters who battle for screentime.

Top 3 favourite pokemon
    Sinnoh Anime Fan!

I like limelight episodes for the whole cast so yes. While SM is a bit over bloated with main characters, it's working nicely in this regard, since nearly every episode rotates centre stage to another classmate or even one of the semi-recurring characters (Rotom's even had two episodes). It's still a bit over focused on Ash, but I do think they're trying to make it so his character assists and bounces off the rest of the cast instead of overshadowing them.

I don't really get the 'Lillie's the SM spotlight hog' complaint though. It was only really the case in the AF arc (which was relevant to the games story) and even then Ash and Gladion got reasonable limelight there. Otherwise Lillie gets only as much screen time as everyone else. In fact for most of late Season One she barely got any limelight at all, compared to Lana who got three or four episodes within about a ten episode time frame.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 18th February 2018 at 5:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMinun View Post
    Yes, they should, I don’t think this series is working with so many main characters, it leaves me wanting to see more from the characters like Mallow and Sophocles.

I know people will complain about Brock in DP, but for me, that worked. Ash is the main character so he will get the most screen time, whilst Brock has been around enough that we were invested in him and he didn’t need all that much focus. Which then meant that Dawn could get lots of focus and plenty of opportunities to shine, which in turn allows you to invest in the character. Brock still has the odd episode now and again so he’s not completely irrelevant and still add something to the show.

BW did well at giving the 2 companions equal screentime too.

I’m not fussed on more than 2 companion groups, Max wasn’t needed and didn’t add anything new, he literally just took away from Brock by becoming navigator. Whilst Serena did nothing for the longest of times and Clemont and Bonnie didn’t add all that much until the Team Flare Arc.

So I’d like Ash, and a new companion, and old companion group, with them switching the old companion out for the new companion at the end of each saga for example, Using SM now going into next gen, Lillie stays on, with Ash and her going to new region, meeting new companion and then by the end of the saga, Lillie departs whilst the current companion stays on to next the end of next gen, keeping it fresh and is not having to invest in lots of new characters who battle for screentime.
    I wouldn't mind Lillie staying on for the next series if it means that she'll bond with other Pokémon for example. It most likely won't happen though.
    ~Tier lists are annoying~

~Biggest DP fan...apparently ~

I am wondering what exactly the plans are for the Switch game, since right now SM is running at a rather slow pace. Only the AF arc felt truly rushed through, otherwise we're back to rather gradual laid back development and establishment. It does seem to keep coming back to things that were seemingly neglected early on just it takes it's time (eg. people thought Lana would be the glorified extra pre-Akala, or placing bets whether Rowlet or Litten would be Ash's out of focus Pokemon, not to mention how many were surprised Ilima got adapted after all).

SM's final turn out I think really depends on when the new game will call it off, since right now it's either going to end early with barely anything progressed, or end rather late but with nearly everything slowly and meticulously taken care of.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 18th February 2018 at 5:21 PM.