Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Unconventional Battle Tactic?

Default Favourite Unconventional Battle Tactic?

So given the freedom in the anime compared to the games, you get a whole variety of different techniques. Things such as throwing a log into Aegislash to block it, using Water Shuriken as a pickaxe or a counter to Blast Burn, using Thunder to destroy the terrain and use the broken ground as projectiles, Thunder Armor, etc.

So, aside from "DODGE!!!!!", which ones stood out to you the most?

I always liked counter-shield because of its simplicity yet effectiveness.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

"Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Counter Shield.

I always liked the strategy Ash used for getting rid of Drapion's Toxic Spikes (using Infernape's Flare Blitz underground) during the Ash vs Paul battle, if that counts as unconventional battle tactic. Counter-shield was pretty cool too though.

Credit for the banner goes to Satomine Night!
    - Also a member of Serena The Kalos Queen Fan Club, Serena4ever!

Counter-Shield!! Also Ash's battlefield exploitation strats like melting the battlefield, cutting the battlefield, burning the battlefield and flooding the battlefield.
    Peakachu Progression: vs Surge -> vs Pete (Kanto) -> vs Drake (OI) -> vs Clair (Johto) -> vs Juan -> vs Tyson (Hoenn) -> vs Lucy -> vs Anabel -> vs Brandon (BF) -> vs Tobias (Sinnoh) -> vs Alain (Kalos)

A-G

Lucha

Counter Shield. Shame that was considered too gimmicky and never seen after DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Counter Shield. Shame that was considered too gimmicky and never seen after DP.
    Actually we saw Dawn's Piplup use it once in her return debut episode in BW (oddly enough BW Ash even recognizes the move which makes it even more baffling as to why he never uses it in BW and XY). I guess for XY the only possible contenters would have been Talonflame (Flame Charge) and Noivern (Boomburst) though BW had more options like Oshawatt (Aqua Jet), Pignite (Flame Charge), Snivy (Leaf Storm), and Krookodile (Stone Edge). Maybe Counter-Shield would have still been used if contests had continued to be relevant to the show.
    Peakachu Progression: vs Surge -> vs Pete (Kanto) -> vs Drake (OI) -> vs Clair (Johto) -> vs Juan -> vs Tyson (Hoenn) -> vs Lucy -> vs Anabel -> vs Brandon (BF) -> vs Tobias (Sinnoh) -> vs Alain (Kalos)

A-G

Lucha

I can't think of any one particular unconventional battle tactic that I would consider my favorite. I tend to enjoy any time Ash exploits the battlefield or uses his Pokémon's abilities to his advantage in unusual ways.

(Banner made by me, Satomine Night)
    Request a banner from Studio Satomine Graphics
    More signature banners: You Fool! | Suspicious Classmates | Laugh Together | Got Nassy?

counter shield. also that underground flare blitz.

Thunder Armor. Counter Shield was cool but had a dumb name. I'd go with Volt Tail for its use against Latios.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderingMist View Post
    So...what's the likelihood of them keeping the nickname thing in the dub? Betting they'll go with Snowball if they decide to keep it.
    Still in denial about the name, mine's better.

Kiawe will catch Marowak (got this part right)
    Mallow will catch a Fomantis in SM035 or Steenee will evolve.

Taken from Serebii Episode pictures EP 928

Ice Aqua Jet.

Underground Flare Blitz and Draco Meteor climb vs Tyrunt.
    Last edited by 345ash-greninja; 18th June 2017 at 4:12 AM.
    Ash×Serena- Amourshipping rules!
    A match made in heaven!

Imgur.com

Trick Room Breaker. And I always kind of liked, short as it was, using Buizel's flotation sac to get out of Drapion's grip. I don't know why; that always just stuck with me for some reason.

Thunder Armor Counter-Shield. Simple yet effective turnover of defence into attack.

Signature Credit: The Comet
    A Noble and Just Cause
    No I Am Not Sanity Check...

Paul commanding Chimchar to use Flamewheel underground on Ash's Turtwig.

Paul commanding Electivire to use Thunder on the battlefield against Ash's Gliscor/Pikachu.

Paul commanding Gastrodon to land on top of Ash's Staraptor then shoot Water Pulse in the air.
    Last edited by PokemonBattleFanatic-; 18th June 2017 at 4:45 AM.

#1 Battler

I figure the writers decided, "Why use Counter Shield when you can just dodge?"

Charizard burning the battlefield to trap Blastoise is probably my favorite single instance strategy.

Underground Flare Blitz and Counter Shield
    Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Serena gave Ash a kiss, Lillie gave him a child.
    Currently hyped up fo 20th Movie . BRING IT ON!!!!

Counter Shield especially when Paul used it.

Uh, does "aim for the horn" count?

Do contest moves count, like Flame Ice? I mean it was used in battle too.

Hikari's Ice Chandelier.

Speedy Pokemon with great power but weak durability: use speed as advantage; dodge any attack that is dodgeable and hit opponent in last moment.It'd be kinda like Steven Seagal tactic to use opponent's strength as your advantage. Example when somebody punches you, you dodge that and in that moment when his power is at minimum( because his energy is contained in punch but you dodge it so he 'wasted' it)you hit him and he's done for. This would would perfectly with speedy Pokemon.

Slow Pokemon with great power and strong durability; I'd use Counter shield and eating attacks to boost your power and to create extra durability.( it's shame that Ash/Alain/Sawyer etc didn't use this tactic).I'd also try to use 'last moment' tactic as many times as possible but my main concern would be CS and eating attacks.
    For me DP was the best tactic-wise, while XY was best power-wise. But someday/some place even tactic beats power, first hardocore evidence would be Batman.

Counter Shield. It provides complete defense while providing some offensive presence. It's disappointing it was not used outside of DP considering it is the only trick in Ash's bag that can be used to catch top trainers off guard.

Also while it might not be unconventional realistically, it is rarely used in the anime that I am willing to put Paul's ability to condition and set up long-term baits as an unconventional tactic. Him trapping Staraptor and Buizel just to wait for them to escape to create a false sense of security is savage and effective. Too bad, once again, nothing close to this was ever seen after DP.

Thunder Armor because of how random it is. I don't even know how the writers managed to come up with this from nowhere

Pikachu finding out when the Future Sight was going to attack by using it's tail.

It's really unconventional because Pikachu wasn't even battling and yet he was able to help Frogadier and Talonflame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast