Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: *READ THE FIRST POST!!!* Characters You Dislike

Default *READ THE FIRST POST!!!* Characters You Dislike

Post which characters you found the most irritating/boring/unrealistic/etc. State your reasoning behind your opinion, such as "I didn't like _______'s voice actor, he/she was very _______".

The thread has the approval of Sushi and the other mods, so there's no need to worry about the thread being prematurely closed, assuming people follow the rules.

Rules:
    1. You may mention any anime character, humans as well as Pokémon.
    2. Do not critique characters without explaining your reasoning. This thread is intended to be discussive, simply saying you dislike is not enough to justify posting. ABSOLUTELY NO CHARACTER BASHING.
    3. Do not reply to someone's post with a simple disagreement/disparagement. In other words: Please let other people have their opinions. If they’re totally mistaken about facts (such as the amount of screentime a character received, etc.), you may correct them, but please don’t nag them.
    4. Not exactly a rule, but please note that most characters’ flaws were intentionally created by the writers to avoid making them look perfect. That doesn’t mean that you’re not allowed to point out said flaws when criticizing a character, but just keep in mind that every character NEEDS flaws to be somewhat realistic.

General Suggestion:
    Examine your opinion before posting it. Assure that your criticism is voiced in a civil/careful manner and doesn’t hurt or provoke others. “_____ sucks”, “______ needs to die”, etc. isn’t tolerated at all and will be infracted, but please avoid using other strong words such as “hate” as well.
    Feel free to PM me if you have tech problems or questions.
    Credit for the signature goes to me.

I'll start the thread with my most disliked character:

Call me unoriginal, but my all time most disliked character was Tracey Sketchit. He had the curse of having one of the most annoying, overly earnest sounding voice actors out of the entire cast. He was also annoying useless whenever Team Rocket attacked.

Aside from his personality flaws, there was also the insult added to injury, when Brock was (at the time) prematurely (in my opinion :P) removed from the show and replaced with an anti-humor character like Tracey. At that point, Brock had only been on the show for one season, and was still relatively original and amusing.

Out of the entire series; Jesse, James, and Meowth have and will remain my most disliked characters in the anime. I feel that after Johto, they had become one annoying running gag at worst and target practice at best. I just didn't see them having a point when Hoenn came around and we started getting new villian teams from the games. It made more sense for me for Team Rocket to be a threat when they were the main villian group in Pokemon Red,Blue,Yellow,Gold,Silver,and Crystal. In Hoenn? Not at all, so they became artifacts the second they showed up in AGEP01 of the anime. I never found them funny, and really I feel they overstayed their welcome. Even in Black and White, where they became more serious, they should'nt be there, just Team Plasma.
    Last edited by Demonsead; 29th August 2011 at 12:26 AM.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

My most disliked character was Piplup, my reasons behind this was he was selfish, annoying, arrogant, egotistical, "trying to be cool but being totally unfunny when falling somewhere" little pipsqueak ^^ also he hurt my ears terribly in the English dub

Even so I can't say I hated him with a burning passion, I had fun mocking him and seeing him get hit by Gible's Draco Meteor EVERYTIME
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Quote Originally Posted by GetOutOfBox View Post
    I'll start the thread with my most disliked character:

Call me unoriginal, but my all time most disliked character was Tracey Sketchit. He had the curse of having one of the most annoying, overly earnest sounding voice actors out of the entire cast. He was also annoying useless whenever Team Rocket attacked.

Aside from his personality flaws, there was also the insult added to injury, when Brock was (at the time) prematurely (in my opinion :P) removed from the show and replaced with an anti-humor character like Tracey. At that point, Brock had only been on the show for one season, and was still relatively original and amusing.
    I don't think Tracey was disliked, I think he was just too ignored. He never really did anything or showed more personality. Plus I also heard rumors that people thought there needed to be a darker person on there for all audiences. But like I said, it's just a rumor I heard. I think that's why they was able to replace Brock because in BW they made a few more darker characters.

My ideal battle ever!

Tracey was okay, but he was really just there because they thought Brock was going to come under fire for being a racist stereotype. Fortunately, nothing like that ever happened with reception of the character and people actually wanted him back instead, so there ya go.
    As for my least favorite character? Has'ta be Dawn. I WANTED to like her so much, because in the games Dawn is my second most favorite MC (my all-time favorite is tied between May and Leaf) and Platina is my favorite female protagonist of Pokemon Adventures (while Gold takes the cake for male and overall), but she displayed no personality traits (other than being a Stepford wife) and really just served to market to lolicons and girls who might have a passing interest interest in Pokemon.
    It's not very hard to give a character a great personality and make them likable, but Dawn wasn't given the same treatment as Misty or May and thus came out as a very spoiled, self-centred character who always needed help from others and cried like an angry baby when she lost.
    But, after all that, I don't hate her. She's already done as a character so there's really no point in using such a strong emotion for her, but that doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed with her. The writers could've done something interesting, but all they did was make her into a carbon copy of May with apparent similarities to Ash, and as a result it's all rather sad.

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I don't think Tracey was disliked, I think he was just too ignored. He never really did anything or showed more personality. Plus I also heard rumors that people thought there needed to be a darker person on there for all audiences. But like I said, it's just a rumor I heard. I think that's why they was able to replace Brock because in BW they made a few more darker characters.
    What exactly do you mean by "I don't think Tracey was disliked."? I dislike him, that's indisputable :P. Did you mean he wasn't as bad as I described?

My most disliked characters are piplup and dawn
    I wonder a bout piplup's nature.he was so annoying
    I couldnt connect with dawn either.she doesnt have a strong personality.
    Most recent shiny:

3DS FC: 4227-2881-7628

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    My most disliked character was Piplup, my reasons behind this was he was selfish, annoying, arrogant, egotistical, "trying to be cool but being totally unfunny when falling somewhere" little pipsqueak ^^ also he hurt my ears terribly in the English dub

Even so I can't say I hated him with a burning passion, I had fun mocking him and seeing him get hit by Gible's Draco Meteor EVERYTIME
    Amen to this lol. Also Ursula, god the writers can't be original at all, Harley copy much?? And a bad one at that, why the writers did the writers think that would work twice?? You can't do any better then Harley. They could of easily made just a *****y rival but no they had to make one that tried to sabotage her but got her butt pwned everytime.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

My least favorite character is Barry because he is annoying and he's always like "I'M FINING YOU!!!" And he's not good at battling either. Especially against Paul in the Lily of the Valley Conference.

Currently writing: The Missing Link!
    Chapters posted: 8
    Please read and review. I'll be eternally grateful.

My least favorite character is Iris because I find her to be very annoying and the constant phrase that she says to Ash "You're such a kid" really annoys me. I also find her to be a very boring character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

What is "bashing"?

Quote Originally Posted by stanleysmith View Post
    My least favorite character is Barry because he is annoying and he's always like "I'M FINING YOU!!!" And he's not good at battling either. Especially against Paul in the Lily of the Valley Conference.
    Though to be fair, it was Paul he battled. The guy who curbstomped Ash in their full battle. Paul was using arguably three of his most powerful pokemon against Barry and had a type advantage for most of the battle. Overall, Barry lost to Paul because the plot needed Ash to battle Paul and it would build up Paul as a bigger threat to Ash.

Anyway...I dislike Dawn the most, I do not "hate" Dawn. I just do not like her as much as the other main characters.
    My reasons:

1) I do not understand how Dawn can get to the finals on her first GF yet it took May two times just to get to the top four. Heck, to compare her to someone else, Ash has NEVER made it to the finals in any of the leagues he competed in (Orange Islands do not count) so IMO, it seemed sort of odd for Dawn to do so on her first try. Though to be fair, she did face Ursula and Jessie of all people so if she battled any of the other two rivals (Nando or Zoey) at any given point, she would have lost in the top four or lower.

2) Met a legendary before you start your journey, check. Be the only main character other then Ash to have an electric type, check. Have a pokemon that is always out of it's pokeball, check. Having said pokemon refusing to evolve, check....Yeah, you get my point when I compare Dawn to Ash since those things just made me find her more annoying since it seemed she was basically a female Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by GetOutOfBox View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "I don't think Tracey was disliked."? I dislike him, that's indisputable :P. Did you mean he wasn't as bad as I described?
    No, I never disliked Tracey. Brock was the problem for me. Screw the eyes.

Misty and Iris have almost similar characteristics so I have to say that I don't like them quite as everyone else. Why do they make gymleaders or gymleader wannabes jerks?

My ideal battle ever!

Paul. I can't stand him. He's a completely dislikeable jerkwad who acts ridiculously robotic for age 10 or 11, with no reason to be so (if he had an interesting reason behind his behavior, I'd have liked him, but nope, it's a lame-as-hell issue with his brother; if that's seriously what causes him to act like he does, then he's a freaking sociopath, plain and simple). I hate how he always wins and gets away with his crap, how his jerkassery is viewed in-show as "merely different, but still effective, training methods", that his and Ash's rivalry is based on this and plays out the same way over and over again, and (worst of all) I hate how his fanbase overrates him.

And really, he's just plain not fun or interesting as a character. He's a tool and nothing more.
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 30th August 2011 at 11:09 PM.

I tend to hate most of the one-shot characters because they're really similar and boring (the ones that have a backstory/a sizable role in the story at least, it's obviously not a problem if they're really minor characters), but out of the main cast it has to be Trip/Shooti. I get that he's meant to be all focused and intimidating, but to me he comes off as dull. The whole "I'm so much more advanced than you Ash" thing stops being interesting after they've battled a few times, and it's been done before in really similar ways with Gary and Paul, which is why I think it's better when Ash has rivals like Stephan or Morrison, who are competitive but lack the "look at how much better than you I am" attitude.

Other than him, the only other characters I really disliked were Paul and Tracey. Paul for pretty much the same reasons as Trip, Tracey for having a really irritating voice actor and being a pretty uninteresting character in general, and I guess for coming in and replacing Brock at a point where I'd already began to lose interest in Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunanight View Post
    Though to be fair, it was Paul he battled. The guy who curbstomped Ash in their full battle. Paul was using arguably three of his most powerful pokemon against Barry and had a type advantage for most of the battle. Overall, Barry lost to Paul because the plot needed Ash to battle Paul and it would build up Paul as a bigger threat to Ash.

Anyway...I dislike Dawn the most, I do not "hate" Dawn. I just do not like her as much as the other main characters.
    My reasons:

1) I do not understand how Dawn can get to the finals on her first GF yet it took May two times just to get to the top four. Heck, to compare her to someone else, Ash has NEVER made it to the finals in any of the leagues he competed in (Orange Islands do not count) so IMO, it seemed sort of odd for Dawn to do so on her first try. Though to be fair, she did face Ursula and Jessie of all people so if she battled any of the other two rivals (Nando or Zoey) at any given point, she would have lost in the top four or lower.

2) Met a legendary before you start your journey, check. Be the only main character other then Ash to have an electric type, check. Have a pokemon that is always out of it's pokeball, check. Having said pokemon refusing to evolve, check....Yeah, you get my point when I compare Dawn to Ash since those things just made me find her more annoying since it seemed she was basically a female Ash.
    But, remember Cilan and Iris have an Electric-type Pokemon as well.

Ash Ketchum himself. I don't hate him and I probably never will but I really don't like him anymore. Since DP started into Best Wishes I find myself liking him less and less as time goes on. Just repeats the same thing over and over again. Half the stuff he learns he already learned in a previous saga. His childish attitude after all these years has gotten stale and not even reverting back to his Kanto stage in BW has helped me to like him again. I guess I don't mind him not winning a league to much even though I think he's long overdue, but in my opinion that really holds the secondary character back. I think the writers chickened out at the Sinnoh GF because they knew Ash wasn't going to win the league so they made his sidekick lose just to be fair, not that I had a problem with that, but seriously why make it to the finals just to lose and never be seen again? Ash's Pokemon are all nice but they just get personalities of his past Pokemon. I mean Treecko, Buizel, and Snivy all have the same feel to them. Oshawott is just a much better handled Piplup that's not so in your face, And I won't mention regional birds. I also really dislike the idea that Ash is the only special person in the world. Nobody else can see legendary Pokemon or save a legendary Pokemon but him (Movie 9) so there we are.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

It's weird how peoples opinions on Ash vary so much.

Whilst I hate seeing him get his *** handed to him, and all the things he learns go to waste a lot, he always will be the best character, the best trainer, the best whatever you can think of, the shows about his journey travelling to become the champion.

If the series ended and brought in a new main character, I wouldn't watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Ash Ketchum himself. I don't hate him and I probably never will but I really don't like him anymore. Since DP started into Best Wishes I find myself liking him less and less as time goes on. Just repeats the same thing over and over again. Half the stuff he learns he already learned in a previous saga. His childish attitude after all these years has gotten stale and not even reverting back to his Kanto stage in BW has helped me to like him again. I guess I don't mind him not winning a league to much even though I think he's long overdue, but in my opinion that really holds the secondary character back. I think the writers chickened out at the Sinnoh GF because they knew Ash wasn't going to win the league so they made his sidekick lose just to be fair, not that I had a problem with that, but seriously why make it to the finals just to lose and never be seen again? Ash's Pokemon are all nice but they just get personalities of his past Pokemon. I mean Treecko, Buizel, and Snivy all have the same feel to them. Oshawott is just a much better handled Piplup that's not so in your face, And I won't mention regional birds. I also really dislike the idea that Ash is the only special person in the world. Nobody else can see legendary Pokemon or save a legendary Pokemon but him (Movie 9) so there we are.
    Yep, I feel the same way. I like Ash's base character, but it gets depressing that everything he experiences and learns is totally forgotten within a few episodes, and how he's completely reset at the end of the season. I mostly watch the Pokemon anime because of nostalgia, otherwise it's pretty much rubbish in terms of writing quality. The writers are just so extremely lazy when it comes to plot arcs and character development, it's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    It's weird how peoples opinions on Ash vary so much.

Whilst I hate seeing him get his *** handed to him, and all the things he learns go to waste a lot, he always will be the best character, the best trainer, the best whatever you can think of, the shows about his journey travelling to become the champion.

If the series ended and brought in a new main character, I wouldn't watch.
    How is Ash the best trainer? You just said he gets his *** handed to him, doesn't that kind conflict with what you just said?

Quote Originally Posted by Golbatman View Post
    What is "bashing"?
    Please don't derail the thread with unrelated questions, however, bashing means "to heavily criticize, to hate". Next time PM someone to ask, or even better, use Google.
    Last edited by GetOutOfBox; 31st August 2011 at 5:53 PM.

I dislike Brock 3rd voice actor he always sounds like hes got a cold or hes losing his voice.
    My White FC : 1077 0675 0836

i have to say my most disliked characters are
    1)DAWN i liked her at first but eventually she started grating on me she was just annoying and i found her to be to much like ash also i disliked her constant whining and her pokemon and the fact shes the reason brock is now in the character dumpster lol
    2)jessie james and meowth if brock outstayed his welcome surely they have it's not fun to watch them anymore even if they have made them a bit bearable in BW surely this must be their last saga
    3)cilan unlike the other 2 above i dont hate cilan im just dislikng him because i can not stand to listen to his food refrences in nearly every sentence (that was a spicy sentence mixed with sweet spice)

I hated that Shaymin in the Giratina and the Sky Warrior movie. He (she?) was such an annoyingly stuck-up and entitled little brat.

Hmm...I find this thread quite interesting...It's like a question with multiple answers; you cannot exactly predict what the others will say, and once you read it, your answer changes as well...Quite interesting indeed.

I would not say I hate a character more than another, though, I have a "list" of characters I dislike (yes, this is not the same thing).
    Pokemons I don't like would mainly be those who keeps showing off in an-always-fail way...
    That was not quite clear.
    The Pokemons I don't like are - in majority - those who looks like "Hey guys, I'm cool, I'm strong!", yet are burden and keep failing or never win with cool.
    The example I have in mind is Oshawott; He tries to be cool, but his way of trying to substitute to Pikachu is just...A bother.
    Another example, indeed, is Piplup.
    Both of them are arrogants, thus WILL eventually get beaten because of this.

As for the humans characters...First, I'd say Richie. He'd charisma, indeed. But he seemed like a copy of Ash...In better. Not really good when the story must focus on the main character, to introduce someone just like him, but with no flaws.
    And...The example of Paul; a young beginner that keeps looking down on other like underlings, always acting in a cool way, arrogant, dark, taming always the main character...Not interesting in my opinion.

"I'm a Pokeshipper. You know why? Because I preferred the old Ash and the old Misty rather than the new drawing! Hand-drawing was the best! (Plus, with current technology, they COULD make it like the old ones). And do you know the worst? Everytime I think of how it is now, I just want to cry, because of nostalgia (oh, and because of the opening coming into my head, as well)." ← (Mad)

"I said nostalgia? No, I meant frustration. When I look the very first ep, I love them, but I'm frustrated, knowing I'll never see any other like those. Can't be helped" ← (Psychanalist)

I hated Ash's Charizard, I know he's a Pokémon and not a Person but he was such a tool, ever since he evolved from Charmander into Charmeleon he got an attitude and thought he was surperior to everyone bar Magmar and other fire-types. what a tool.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast