Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 464

Thread: *READ THE FIRST POST!!!* Characters You Dislike

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    They hardly care for Serena, especially the "Serena's only existence is to be Ash's waifu" people.
    I despise those people.

    Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Okay, time to update this list

    Serena: Now that I look back at it, she got on my nerves more often than any other girl. In a region-wide popularity contest, she places second to the equivalent of Lady Gaga. Sure, it was a distant second, but the pacing of the arc sucked. It made it look like she practically got that far over night. If she is so popular, then why isn't a camera constantly in her face? Aria has an entire mob that loves her so much that she has to use a disguise. Serena is apparently immune from the press. Wasted plot potential. If you want to see her character done right, I think Game!Lillie did it best.
    The context of what you say makes it seems like you're more annoyed with the writers and the initial goal they gave her than Serena herself.

    Credit for the banner goes to Satomine Night!
    - Also a member of ~Lillie Fan Club~ and Serena The Kalos Queen Fan Club, Serena4ever!

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    KungFuTown
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Okay, time to update this list

    Serena: Now that I look back at it, she got on my nerves more often than any other girl. In a region-wide popularity contest, she places second to the equivalent of Lady Gaga. Sure, it was a distant second, but the pacing of the arc sucked. It made it look like she practically got that far over night. If she is so popular, then why isn't a camera constantly in her face? Aria has an entire mob that loves her so much that she has to use a disguise. Serena is apparently immune from the press. Wasted plot potential. If you want to see her character done right, I think Game!Lillie did it best.
    Because she was not that popular? Probably she won those contest because her opponents just were plain bad and she did decent. And writers didn't know what to do with her which made her storyline rushed and not enjoyable. But it's a story that has been told and we can't change it so...
    Proud Claimer of Hawlucha and this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I2MHj1iDIU

    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I thought I was weak
    But then I learned KungFu

  3. #403
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    13,279

    Default

    Serena really needed a threatening rival. Instead, Serena's superior rival turned out to be none other than the Kalos Queen herself, which felt very unrealistic.

    And then when Serena LOST to the Kalos Queen, we didn't even get to see the Queen's performance which was supposedly mind-blowing and way better than Serena's.

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Zoey because she seemed very condescending, and once she even acted nosy and bossy when she thought that Nando should stick to just one goal.

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Serena really needed a threatening rival. Instead, Serena's superior rival turned out to be none other than the Kalos Queen herself, which felt very unrealistic.

    And then when Serena LOST to the Kalos Queen, we didn't even get to see the Queen's performance which was supposedly mind-blowing and way better than Serena's.
    XY had this thing about taking a dump on the underdog, always making the winner impossible to root for because we saw a far more methodical and hard working approach from the loser. Serena was always the girl to beat because her effectiveness remained near totally static and unbeatable, compared to rivals like Jessie who started off pathetic and slowly worked and improved to get higher and higher positions. The one rival Serena could look like she stood a chance of struggling and look fallible against they just skipped the display for the large part besides showing Serena lost to her miserably. It wasn't important how she won, she was just an obstacle.

    This was something that always hurt Serena competence wise, whenever it came to something she had to put the extra effort and wit into it was always the point she sucked.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 22nd December 2016 at 3:33 AM.

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    8,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alloutℯ View Post
    Zoey because she seemed very condescending, and once she even acted nosy and bossy when she thought that Nando should stick to just one goal.
    I didn't see her as 'condescending' per say, but if I remember right she was the one who brought up the Aipom and Buizel trade, which made her seem a bit intrusive. ^^;

  7. #407

    Default

    Jessie is the worst character of the entire series imo. I can't stand her personality and she always seems so selfish and self centered imo. She always hogs the spotlight away from James and Meowth and leeches on the female companion if they compete in performance-like goal. I also find both her original and English dub voice annoying, especially her English dub voice. She really has no redeeming qualities whatsoever imho.
    ~Sailor Saturn~

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    Jessie is the worst character of the entire series imo. I can't stand her personality and she always seems so selfish and self centered imo. She always hogs the spotlight away from James and Meowth and leeches on the female companion if they compete in performance-like goal. I also find both her original and English dub voice annoying, especially her English dub voice. She really has no redeeming qualities whatsoever imho.
    I think she has redeeming qualities but she is streamlined too often into the jerk straw loser, and it doesn't always work too well. Having a character just there to make another look better doesn't always work and can sometimes backfire if the audience finds the 'loser' character more sympathetic. She sapped root ability away from May and Serena throughout their goals (less so Dawn, they were more careful with her) when more time could be spent making the protagonists look challenged and improving.

    I will say I'd like to see James and Meowth get a similar arc, but seriously, James is less of a jerk than Jessie and in legitimate affairs actually prefers to be sporting and cheat less often, and if he was destined to lose to one of the companions in a similar competition, he'd be even more liable to sap their sympathy away, because he'd likely deserve to win just as much as them if not more so because he wouldn't have the plot on his side (who didn't feel bad for him in Party Dancepades, even with the narrative trying to demonise him and Miette getting the upper hand over Pikachu and Eevee in a fair fight, he knew he couldn't stop Inkay getting thrashed one way or another, something would always come to the twerps' aid, that sheer jadedness almost made you hate Serena and Ash compared to with Jessie who is at least overconfident and abrasive).

    I think a recurring problem is that Team Rocket in legitimate contests and tournaments often seem far more methodical, which I do like seeing for a change, but the problem is the twerps a lot of times beat them just on grounds of likeability and the plot deciding they deserve it more, thus they seem less hard working.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 22nd December 2016 at 4:05 AM.

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    Jessie is the worst character of the entire series imo. I can't stand her personality and she always seems so selfish and self centered imo. She always hogs the spotlight away from James and Meowth and leeches on the female companion if they compete in performance-like goal. I also find both her original and English dub voice annoying, especially her English dub voice. She really has no redeeming qualities whatsoever imho.
    I can see where you're coming from, but I can't dislike her for a backstory I found on some old CD. She's such an attention hog because she was abandoned by her mother because she couldn't afford living with her. Snow was considered a decent meal by her when she was a child. It's hard to hate her selfishness when it stems from a childhood of being ignored and discarded.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

    "Momentai!"

    "Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

    But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

  10. #410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DatsRight View Post
    I think she has redeeming qualities but she is streamlined too often into the jerk straw loser, and it doesn't always work too well. Having a character just there to make another look better doesn't always work and can sometimes backfire if the audience finds the 'loser' character more sympathetic. She sapped root ability away from May and Serena throughout their goals (less so Dawn, they were more careful with her) when more time could be spent making the protagonists look challenged and improving.

    I will say I'd like to see James and Meowth get a similar arc, but seriously, James is less of a jerk than Jessie and in legitimate affairs actually prefers to be sporting and cheat less often, and if he was destined to lose to one of the companions in a similar competition, he'd be even more liable to sap their sympathy away, because he'd likely deserve to win just as much as them if not more so because he wouldn't have the plot on his side (who didn't feel bad for him in Party Dancepades, even with the plot trying to demonise him and Miette thrashing Pikachu and Eevee, he knew he couldn't stop him and Inkay getting beaten down one way or another).
    Good point there. They should have James win more if that's the case since he does play the by rules more and is a better sport. He did get that Pokeringer thing as well as the orientation course in the BF that he won without cheating. I think he'd be more of a competent opponent actually.
    ~Sailor Saturn~

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I can see where you're coming from, but I can't dislike her for a backstory I found on some old CD. She's such an attention hog because she was abandoned by her mother because she couldn't afford living with her. Snow was considered a decent meal by her when she was a child. It's hard to hate her selfishness when it stems from a childhood of being ignored and discarded.
    That, and a lot of it is pure ineffectual sympathy. I mean out of Wile E Coyote and the Road Runner, Wile E Coyote is clearly the arrogant bad guy, but he is methodical and persistent despite taking a lot of abuse, while Road Runner is a completely underplayed character that has the plot bend to his whim. You get the latter deserves to win more, but there's just nothing to sympathise about him.

    This is why I don't think one sided 'winners vs losers' feuds always work out, especially if the 'winner' character is the hero and who the narrative wants you to root for. Audiences by instinct pity and root for the loser. The whole point of the Road Runner cartoons is that you're supposed to root for Wile. For Pokemon Team Rocket are intentionally sympathetic but you're still supposed to root for the twerps beating them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    Good point there. They should have James win more if that's the case since he does play the by rules more and is a better sport. He did get that Pokeringer thing as well as the orientation course in the BF that he won without cheating. I think he'd be more of a competent opponent actually.
    I think what put me off the orientation course was that, like Jessie's one showcase win, the twerps had to be hindered in some way to be beaten by him, thus a 'they weren't at their best' excuse came in. He wasn't allowed to legitimately surpass them. I could argue the same happened in his one contest disguised as Jessilina, though at least in that case it was him deliberately exploiting an ongoing shortcoming of Dawn's (not being able to tame Mamoswine).
    Last edited by DatsRight; 22nd December 2016 at 4:40 AM.

  12. #412
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The road to Viridian City
    Posts
    3,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    Jessie is the worst character of the entire series imo. I can't stand her personality and she always seems so selfish and self centered imo. She always hogs the spotlight away from James and Meowth and leeches on the female companion if they compete in performance-like goal. I also find both her original and English dub voice annoying, especially her English dub voice. She really has no redeeming qualities whatsoever imho.
    I have to agree with this. Even as a kid, Jessie was my least favorite member of Team Rocket, and my opinion of her has only worsened with time.

    She has a few redeeming qualities. She loves her Pokémon and cares deeply about their well-being. As much as she abuses them, she does care about James and Meowth and has been shown to go to great lengths for their sake. Also, when one takes into account her backstory, she is rather sympathetic. However, IMHO, those good qualities are grossly overshadowed by her negative traits. She is incredibly selfish and self-centered, to the point where she had no qualms about stealing from her own teammate. Her vanity almost borders on delusional. She can be a very sore loser. Worse, she drags James and Meowth along with her selfish schemes, without really taking their feelings into account.

    (Banner made by me, Satomine Night)
    Request a banner from Studio Satomine Graphics
    Check out my art gallery to see more of my banners


  13. #413
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satomine Night View Post
    I have to agree with this. Even as a kid, Jessie was my least favorite member of Team Rocket, and my opinion of her has only worsened with time.
    *Gasps* Jessie may be selfish and egotistical, but I'll give her credit for getting off her arse and finding little hobbies for herself, unlike her two cohorts. :c

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    Jessie is the worst character of the entire series imo. I can't stand her personality and she always seems so selfish and self centered imo. She always hogs the spotlight away from James and Meowth and leeches on the female companion if they compete in performance-like goal. I also find both her original and English dub voice annoying, especially her English dub voice. She really has no redeeming qualities whatsoever imho.
    Pretty much my thoughts as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I can see where you're coming from, but I can't dislike her for a backstory I found on some old CD. She's such an attention hog because she was abandoned by her mother because she couldn't afford living with her. Snow was considered a decent meal by her when she was a child. It's hard to hate her selfishness when it stems from a childhood of being ignored and discarded.
    I can because I'm absolutely tired of seeing her treat Meowth and James like crap half the time and there's no excuse for it. SM4 is the most recent reminder to why she's horrible, stealing James' luxury ball when he begged her not to use it. James is so much better by himself as a character, unfortunately we don't see it often enough.

    Credit for the banner goes to Satomine Night!
    - Also a member of ~Lillie Fan Club~ and Serena The Kalos Queen Fan Club, Serena4ever!

  15. #415
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    In fairness they thought Bewear was going to EAT them at that point. Keeping James' little collectors item seemed a bit petty compared to catching a powerhouse to defend themselves with.

    I mean, not saying that Jessie isn't a jerk to James a lot of times, but that one case is debatable.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 22nd December 2016 at 5:15 AM.

  16. #416
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    The road to Viridian City
    Posts
    3,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    *Gasps* Jessie may be selfish and egotistical, but I'll give her credit for getting off her arse and finding little hobbies for herself, unlike her two cohorts. :c
    I'm sure James and Meowth would find their own little hobbies, too, if they weren't so busy being dragged along by their ears by Jessie.

    Quote Originally Posted by DatsRight View Post
    In fairness they thought Bewear was going to EAT them at that point. Keeping James' little collectors item seemed a bit petty compared to catching a powerhouse to defend themselves with.

    I mean, not saying that Jessie isn't a jerk to James a lot of times, but that one case is debatable.
    No, it's not. Jessie should have given Mimikyu to James afterward, not kept it for herself. She caught it using his Luxury Ball. It should rightfully be his Pokémon.

    (Banner made by me, Satomine Night)
    Request a banner from Studio Satomine Graphics
    Check out my art gallery to see more of my banners


  17. #417
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Was Jessie always like that? Because I remember every TR member were portrayed as equals in the earlier sagas (as in sometimes Jessie would be the dominant one, sometimes James and sometimes Meowth)

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    I didn't see her as 'condescending' per say, but if I remember right she was the one who brought up the Aipom and Buizel trade, which made her seem a bit intrusive. ^^;
    That's my point, she always had to put her 2 cents into everything.

  19. #419
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heracrosshunter12 View Post
    Was Jessie always like that? Because I remember every TR member were portrayed as equals in the earlier sagas (as in sometimes Jessie would be the dominant one, sometimes James and sometimes Meowth)
    I know very early on in the OS, Jessie and James were near interchangeable and Meowth was more bossy (even if the whole 'top cat' act was more the dub's creation). After that the current personalities became set, though they still had plenty of times they bickered or split up temporarily until about BW, with James and Meowth as liable to spearhead them as Jessie (Meowth frequently clawed Jessie as much as James).

    In BW and XY they never really turned on each other often, they just put up with the others' misgivings. But of course since Jessie was still the bossy one, she seemed more dominant.

  20. #420
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DatsRight View Post
    I know very early on in the OS, Jessie and James were near interchangeable and Meowth was more bossy (even if the whole 'top cat' act was more the dub's creation). After that the current personalities became set, though they still had plenty of times they bickered or split up temporarily until about BW, with James and Meowth as liable to spearhead them as Jessie (Meowth frequently clawed Jessie as much as James).

    In BW and XY they never really turned on each other often, they just put up with the others' misgivings. But of course since Jessie was still the bossy one, she seemed more dominant.
    Yea I prefer how they used to be now I just feel bad for james

  21. #421
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    76

    Default

    I think Burgundy from what I recall was the worst, mainly because she was a joke with absolutely nothing to contribute towards the anime. However, while some characters do fit that role, I personally found her petulant attitude (from what I recall) to be annoying.

  22. #422
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash-Pikachu View Post
    I think Burgundy from what I recall was the worst, mainly because she was a joke with absolutely nothing to contribute towards the anime. However, while some characters do fit that role, I personally found her petulant attitude (from what I recall) to be annoying.
    She was no worse than most rude rivals. It's not even her fault that Cilan kept winning their battles, he was always perfect.

  23. #423
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash-Pikachu View Post
    I think Burgundy from what I recall was the worst, mainly because she was a joke with absolutely nothing to contribute towards the anime. However, while some characters do fit that role, I personally found her petulant attitude (from what I recall) to be annoying.
    I loved her.~ She was weak as hell, but her undying hatred of Cilan was so relatable.

  24. #424
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZilverLox View Post
    She was no worse than most rude rivals. It's not even her fault that Cilan kept winning their battles, he was always perfect.
    What rivals are you referring to?

  25. #425
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    0

    Default

    I would say Misty. She was likable in Kanto but she became just intolerable for me during OI and Jhoto. She was just there,standing in the background with not-so-very-cute Togepi. She didn't contribute anything to the show. Her whirlpool arc was damn boring as well.She is way too overrated.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •