In the series as a WHOLE?
There's Ash. Yes, Ash! I can openingly say that I DO NOT watch the anime for him in anyway. I really couldn't care less about him. They have made it clear that he will never reach his goal and that he is nothing more than a possible doll, being posed to take on w/e role they want to force upon him. (Writers) "Oh, we're gonna bring in some newb female? Lets make him the older brother character that's a bit more mature than he use to be so that he can be the role-model. In-order to make contest more legit lets have ... ASH USE CONTEST MOVES IN HIS BATTLES! That way he can have a stupid hex dodge via yelling "SPIN!!!" and BAAAM, the Pokemon HEX DODGES and everyone watching with their mouths open and their chins to the floor as his pokemon SPINS out of harms way like some fancy Air Bender! Oh, no more newb girl-to-take-on-contest because there's no contest in this region? Well, lets make him a lil kid again thats all newby like his Kanto days! REBOOT!!!!!". I only watch for ... pretty much anything NOT Ash. I watch for the Pokemon, I watched for the contest, I watch for Iris and Axew, I watch for fun stories ... but Ash is just there. I don't HATE him ... I simply don't care about him. And given his role I feel that not feeling ANYTHING towards him is just as bad as not liking him at all.
Then there's TR.
Man, I have been watching some old AG episodes ... I noticed that I would think to myself "Man, I like where this story is headed! Whats gonna happen ne-" then I see the "twerps" through a pair of goggles and then I think "F***, not this **** again ...".
I truly don't know WHY they care so much about Pikachu (other than the fact that they HAVE TO because its the only Pokemon that's gonna be there no matter what. It's their "Anchor" to the show until BW). In the 2nd episode Pikachu blew up the Pokemon Center after getting power Pumped by not only a gang of Pikachu on-top of it but also by Ash riding that busted up bike. Really, I think the Boss would just send Pikachu back to them if they ever sent it to him. Their gags arnt funny, their nothing but punching bags and they have outstayed their welcome.
BUT they are one of the main things BW has done right in it's attempt at rebooting the show. No longer are they around EVERY EPISODE. No longer are they gags/ jokes. This is how they should have always been.
Also never liked Brock or his never ending changing career goals but he is gone now so "YAY and never come back ...".
I didn't HATE hate him, he just annoyed me greatly and I can't think of one character from that time that annoyed me as much as he. Mainly because regardless of the fate that he's a know-it-all he doesn't have the ability to catch or raise. I never cared much for him and I didn't MIND him being there, he just annoyed me cause I didn't see much reason for him to be there other then to show off how lazy May was with her studies. He is by far the most likable on my list, I really like AG now that I watch it a bit online (I skipped most of it because I hated the 3rd gen of Pokemon Games).
DAWN and PIPLUP!!!
Dawn ... yup. I hated her. She brang nothing interesting to the group dynamic. (Thats one reason I LOVE Iris, she's a snarker who points out the annoying traits or actions of the group. She's pretty much my voice in the anime when Dent does "it's Blank TIIIIME!". Having clashes and conflicts between people who clearly care for each other even if they don't always get along is the right mixture for a great group IMO) Really, it just felt like everyone was standing around patting each other on the *** in DP. She made contest lame and more SHOW than substance.
On top of that she has that logic breaking skirt that makes her look so flat and strange when they try to pull off those cam angles that should logically show up her skirt by drawing her in a way so that you can never actually see where the legs meet. GG, it was a stupid design in the games too for someone to wear while travelling. If its gonna be that much of a problem why not just give her shorts to wear under her skirt?
I did not care for Dawn's whinny lil baby act nor her flashy-girly style nor her Pokemon. Heck, once it became clear that she would never make Buneary happy enough to evolve I dropped out of DP.
Piplup is and attention hungry annoyance. He doesn't deserve a proper explanation.
And finally ... for BW!!
It's ... BEL!!!
I tell ya, if Paul treats Pokemon like tools then she treats them like Beanie Babies. Spoiler:- BW INFO:
I really can't see why I seem to be one of the very few people willing to call her out on her actions. She is a scummy, selfish, inconsiderate, superficial character with a GREAT lacking in respect for others and her own Pokemon as well as wild/trained Pokemon in general.
Her actions in the Don-T have showed me everything I needed to confirm how she is as a character. At the drop of a fox poop she was ready to trade her starter, her trump-card, her Main Pokemon that got her through all 3 gyms ... for a Cute Fox she just saw after failing to catch it and finding out it had a trainer. After that she suggested to let the Fox decide ... and then we get 4 episodes of her stalking the poor thing, trying to force it to like her so that she can steal it away from Luke right under his nose.
In lil Diva's first episode Bel tries to force it to like her, stalks it when it runs away, randomly blasted other Pokemon with attacks while they rest as she looks for it and she does all this while trying to play the "act-stupid-cause-it's-cute <3" card.
She is like the worse case of Berry you can get. She annoys me and I really don't like her or people like her.
Last edited by Col-Erase; 3rd October 2011 at 8:09 AM.
Kenny & Zoey because I partly couldn't stand Contests of DP Saga (other than Dawn, I loved her, but that's not the point) and partly because I disliked their personalities, [insert Sideshow Bob voice] especially Kenny, and especially Zoey! I don't really like Burgundy of BW either, she just comes off as a bratty girl who gets offended by anything anybody says to her. Oh I forgot about Macy from Johto too (Caseyclone, but at least Casey provided comic relief).
Last edited by Spacialrend; 6th October 2011 at 2:36 AM.
Kakashi (to Naruto): "I'm telling you this because you don't get it. You think you get it, but it's not the same as actually getting it. Get it?"
Psychic Monotype: Fighting Monotype: Steel Monotype: Fire Monotype:
I'm starting to hate Ash and Pikachu because they are starting to get boring, stale, and one dimensional. It's always the same thing Ash's character regresses then when he makes it to the league he has a strong team but loses and it becomes an endless cycle. I just want to see his character done already.
Originally Posted by Canada
Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan
If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.
I have never, ever liked the original cast (Ash, Brock and Misty) to begin with, not even as a 8 year old. I hated their teams, esp. how they almost never evolved their Pokemon. I'll never forget the disappointment I have felt when I realised Ash's Pikachu was never going to evolve. Also, I was already a very big video game fan back then, and seeing Bulbasaur take down a Dragonite (or something similar) was absolutely ridiculous for me. I found Assh to be a very dull character in general, I got bored by Brock "must have a crush on every girl in the show (bar Misty)" attitude, and I never got the amount of love Misty gets from the fandom. I only watched the show for Pokemon and battles, and tbh I still do, except the sidekick characters (Iris and Cilan) are somewhat more interesting now. Ash can still kiss my butt though :P
As far as Pokemon are concerned, Oshawott. I dislike the species in general, they are hands down the single worst designed Pokemon in the entire series, but anime took this to a new level. An annoying attention ***** which was woobified to the extremes by a fandom? No thanks.
Last edited by Casty; 5th October 2011 at 8:13 PM.
1. Misty: Throughout her entire run in the series, she was an annoying character. While her strained relationship with her older sisters successfully explained her personality, her character still lacked zest and was not the slightest bit amusing. She was a typical hot-headed tsundere with an inferiority complex that developed into arrogance as a way for her to cope with her insecurities. Jessie falls under a similar archetype, but her character was far more colorful and entertaining, not to mention she had a more interesting past and more dimension to her personality. Overall, she fulfilled the role better than Misty, who just seemed like a bland bratty kid in comparison. Later on in Johto, she spent most of her time standing in the background as Ash's cheerleader with only glimmers of her old self manifesting from time to time.
Last but not least, I hated Pokeshipping. Romantic pairings where the characters have clashing personalities and spend the vast majority of their time arguing have always irritated me.
2. Drew: His character was a two-dimensional jerk with a heart of gold who antagonized the girl he had a crush on because he was insecure about whether or not she would reciprocate his feelings for her. Talk about being an obnoxious bore. On that note, much like with Pokeshipping, I hated Contestshipping for being an annoying love-hate relationship. (For the record, I am not an Advanceshipper. When it comes to that ship, I am indifferent to it.)
3. Piplup: It was a selfish, egotistical, and mean-spirited creature who hogged the show's spotlight.
4. Harley: He was an offensive homosexual stereotype who was exceedingly rude and arrogant. I also did not view him as being a threatening rival. He was able to trick May, a very naive girl who anyone could deceive. What is so great about that?
5. Paul: He was a standard cold, callous, and haughty rival who had very little depth to his personality and failed at being entertaining.
6. Tracey: He was a stale character who did not have any flavor to his personality. Overall, he was an inferior replacement for Brock, who was actually likable in Kanto.
7. Ash: Like with Misty, I always found him to be an annoying character. Throughout Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto, he was short tempered, arrogant, and over confident, not unlike many other shonen anime protagonists. He has been more mature from Hoenn onwards. However, since that saga, he has also been a bland hero boy with parts of his old self only popping up every now and then.
8. Barry: He is a hyperactive loud-mouth whose over-the-top antics are annoying to watch.
9. Brock from Johto onwards: He was a likable and enjoyable character in Kanto. However, once he returned in Johto, he became a hollow shell of his former self. With the exceptions of a few episodes, all he did from Johto onwards was act as Ash's cheerleader and skirt chase.
"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
1. Misty: Later on in Johto, she spent most of her time standing in the background as Ash's cheerleader with only glimmers of her old self manifesting from time to time.
From what i noticed,reason why Misty temper was used in smaller measure compared to Kanto days with character starting to change is because she started to develop and mature over time learning how to become more patient not exploding over every little thing which may have gone on her nerves allowing that other sides of her personality comes on surface more often being overshadowed by temper at times in past.During course of Johto i remember she became more mature and level headed along with various sides of her personality being explored like sarcasm,girly side,passionate love and dedication toward battling and water types,spunk,her witty side etc getting some development.
This can be noticed in way she interacted with several other characters like Sakura,Egan,Dorian etc becoming mature enough to get over her complex of inferiority caused by sisters not being bothered much about it helping Sakura how to deal with her older siblings for example as well being over course of Johto willing to admit hr own mistakes and take criticism in much better manner compared to early days.Which is testament to character growth.
I respect your opinion and everything,just wanted to comment on Misty characterization which changed abit over time.
Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 17th October 2011 at 8:29 AM.
Sorry for just butting into the thread, but I just wanted to state my opinion too! ^-^
1) I rather dislike Ash. Sure, he is the main character, and he is important to the show, but his whole attitude kind or irritates me for a supposed (at least) fourteen/fifteen year old. His childish acts are getting old now and his knowledge of pokemon seems to increase to the max, and then reset at the begining of a new season, which is also incredibley annoying. Another reason is that, although he is the main character of the show and I totally respect that, he tends to steal the spotlight alot when other characters could be given the chance for further development and such. ^-^;
2) I was never all that fond of Oshawott. Sure, he's cute and all, but his design is neither original ( looks as if he's based off of a Piplup base to me, but that's just my opinion) nor truly interesting. He's arrogant, opinionated and seems to think he's the best pokemon of Ash's team, though I have to admit he does get slightly better as the season progresses. I also don't like that quite a few of the episodes have been based on Oshawott himself. Like when he joined Ash's team and the producers made a big deal of Oshawott following and such. Then there was the episode with the whole aspect of learning to swim with his eyes open. And there was when he lost his shell. I mean, I just don't see the need for all of these episodes about him... ^-^;
3) I quite disliked Brock too. He just always seemed to state the obvious and just kind of... be there. Sure, he was useful whenever they needed medicines or whatever, but the writers spent so much time on writing "humourous" pick-up lines for his continuous flirting, that that aspect of him never really got explored all that much.
4) I wasn't one for Max either. I don't know about you, and he was cute and all, but I didn't really see his worth there. I know he was a kid and he was aspiring to be a trainer. The fact that he was May's brother may justify it, but I just didn't feel there was a need for him to go with them. I mean, there must have been tons of other kids that were aspiring trainers and THEY didn't get to go with their siblings or whatevers in order to get a feel for the journey. Though I'm probably just being really picky. I don't mind his character or anything; that fact about him just bugs me a little.
The character I actiually disliked was piplup.
Misty also was annoying for most of the series, dumping on ash got old quickly.
Sure ash gets on my nerves sometimes doing you must be fking shitting me moves,
but it's not like just the sight/sound of him got on my nerves.
TR go tremendously hight on my nerve-system somewhere along the hoen-region, it just wasn't funny anmore.
Just the mere sight of them made the anger well up inside of me... but that seems to have cooled down lately.
Dawn never really grabbed me either. It was just there for some reason and so I could live with it.
Last edited by Blazicken; 29th October 2011 at 5:18 AM.
I kinda liked Ash in earlier series...and his advancements made him a better of a pill to swallow...but ever since BW, it seems like he goes through all this development for it to be dumped at the end of the series, so I'm indifferent to him...
I was never really fond of May either...she was just kind of 'there' for me...She had some interesting quirks about her like "May's expeditions" and whatnot...but I merely tolerated her...
I hated max...he was just some whiny, know-it-all brat who should've gotten a beating...I just couldn't stand his arrogant attitude...
Tracey wasn't around long enough to develop any significant feeling towards him...he was made for all the wrong reasons...a shame...they never really got to go much of anywhere with the pokemon watcher thing...
Dawn was just like...boring...prissy girly girl, so obsessed with her appearance, hair, etc...She got great screentime and development, but I couldn't really relate to her...I mean, yeah she had struggles and overcame them but her storyline was kinda boring to watch...She had very few clashing moments with Ash, not much interaction with Brock, and then she got all super nice with ash, and they would always praise each other for doing a good job teaching the other something new...And then they trained like in EVERY episode and it just boiled down to "Good job friend, you're amazing!"
Cilan is OK, refreshing change of pace from Brock...but I feel like the writers are overexaggerating him to make him relevant in each episode...whatever talent the episode calls for, they just slap on "Expert Connoisseur" on the end so that Cilan can fit and do something instead of nothing...It's kinda getting to be a bit too much as it takes away from what Cilan could be doing to further his progress in his goal or learning from Ash.
Gotta say, out of all of the characters, Piplup is my least favorite. He was a attempted re-take on the whole Pikachu idea, but doesn't work nearly as well. There's a certain charm to seeing the little penguin get his butt kicked whenever possible, because his pride simply outweighs what little charm he has. Plus, his dub voice was painful to hear, one of the reasons I avoided much of the Sinnoh saga in the first place.
I don't know what the writers were thinking, but Empoleon is NOT "ugly", which was their confessed reason for him not evolving.
The character I disliked the most is Trip. With him being kind of a copy version of Paul and bashing Kanto really annoyed me. And it feels like he isn't rivals with Ash. Kenny is another one I didn't like. He didn't feel like a rival. And Harley and Conway just scare me to death with the weirdness and stalker-like mood. I never liked Max either. He was too whiny and thinks that he knows everything.
I wouldn't say I hated Max but honestly, he was pretty useless character and I honestly don't think they should have had him travel with Ash, May, and Brock. All he did was whine like a baby and complain about every little thing. He really drove me nuts.
Dawn's Piplup too. Hikari's Pochama didn't bother me but Dawn's Piplup just drove me insane, especially with that highly obnixious voice it had.
I also don't really like Trip, Conway, and Tobias but Max and Piplup were the two characters I just honestly didn't like.
I have to say my least favorite is Cilan. I just dont like watching him describe how the battle it going and in all honesty I am not a big fan of his hair either. I probably just dont like him because I just miss Brock and the the old episodes
I am a Christian and not afraid to let others know of it copy and paste if you are too
Christianity is a Relationship with our true God, Jesus. It's not just a Religion. Copy and paste If you agree
My least favorite person in the pokemon animation would have to be Paul he is just annoying and really bad.He get's in my nerves when he's on screen trying to get in Ash's bussniss all the time like when he said "why did you enter the Wallece cup" to Ash that was prove that he is the most annoyng person in pokemon!
I don't like Iris. She strikes me as being a tad snotty. For instance, in "Nyagotiaor Nyarth", when Meowth is just trying to help, she has to kick him down by saying: "Don't your plans always fail?"
Way to look a gift-horse in the mouth. He puts out to you, and you dump on him.
Originally Posted by Pokémaniac Pez
I hated Ash's Charizard, I know he's a Pokémon and not a Person but he was such a tool, ever since he evolved from Charmander into Charmeleon he got an attitude and thought he was surperior to everyone bar Magmar and other fire-types. what a tool.
Seems like he could be grateful to Ash for saving him after his previous master abandoned him. Aside from a few exceptions, Ash is a fine trainer and any pokemon would be lucky to have him as their Master.
Last edited by Nemmeh; 24th January 2012 at 4:32 AM.
There have been several posts again which contain little, insufficient or no explanation at all. I left the borderline ones in for now, but please remember to always state reasons (without bashing) for your choice. Thanks! =)
i've always found dawn annoying - simply because i didnt like contests to begin with so i didnt need another coordinator also i didnt like her team.
also i despise cilan because i can not stand his constant evaluations and comparing everything to a food also that he's a connesiur everything
brock he was interesting until dp he wasnt funny but i enjoyed his knowledge and his pokemon
also i really liked may minus her contest because of her fun personality and because the ag group worked well with her.
Team Rocket: Do they really have to appear EVERY SINGLE EPISODE? (also, they have pretty dumb rhymes)
Piplup: Selfish, arrogant, ...
Burguny: Arrogant, annoying, ...
Ash: Sometimes he's really a *******.
Click on these Pokémon to make them happy and healthy!:
Credits go to PopPrincessLyra for the Lucario banner!