Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: *READ THE FIRST POST!!!* Characters You Dislike

Where to start? I will give a condenced version:

Cameron: Parody Ash, taken to a level of his own. But while I am inclined to say he is horribly written, there is a part of me that says he is actually a tongue-in-cheek self-parody from the writers. Only a part, though.

Ash: The man himself. He never learns from his mistakes, still surprised by how his unevolved starters get obliterated in league after league. He was more tolerable in DP, where the writers did not humiliate him as much as usually, but BW more than covered DP's quota. Just put him out of his misery already.

Team Rocket: Do I really need to explain? The living symbol of pointless filler.

Piplup: Marketing ploy.

Oshawott: Look above.

Brock: Why was he still there? Take a lesson from Cilan: at least his running gag was varied and amusing.

Dawn: Not so much her personality but her fashion sense.

And any number of irrelevant or actively annoying COTDs / minor rivals whom I will skip to keep this short. I have probably forgotten about many of them, anyway.

I only have two "main" characters whom I dislike:

Misty - (Don't kill before reading.) She was the most blant character from all of the companions (inclunding Iris). Her appearence in Johto was obnixous where she only walked with Ash in all that filler bonanza, plus she has a deep atitude problem where she can't accept critics.
    Not only that she always puts herself superior to Ash ("That was teasing") I call it superior complex, I have no doubts that she swapped places with Iris, she would be more disliked than her. She got more development with the chronicles and her cameo than in her main course.

Axew: Piplup was okay, something somehow fresh (Lol how can people say he was Pikachu v.2), he was more of a clone of Piplup than Piplup was from Pikachu. (Plus the thing about him wanted to evolve and never evolving)
    Last edited by Vintrial; 11th December 2013 at 9:32 PM.
    3ds friend code: 0989 - 1816 - 0688

Read this.

The XY Team Rocket trio. They are far worse than they have ever been, they even are worse off than the DP Tram Rocket trio imo. So far they are really annoying, boring, and predictable. They aren't funny at all and they feel like they're back to just getting in the way and becoming a plot device again.
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn+Serena Fan View Post
    The XY Team Rocket trio. They are far worse than they have ever been, they even are worse off than the DP Tram Rocket trio imo. So far they are really annoying, boring, and predictable. They aren't funny at all and they feel like they're back to just getting in the way and becoming a plot device again.
    they are not that bad,like in the pancham episode, where they helped show froakie,fennekin, and chespin´s personalitys, but when they just chip away 5 minutes of a 22 minute episode, yeah they kinda piss me off, when you aint gonna make them have any barring on the plot, just keep them out of the episode.

Only characters I'm gonna rate are the ones who ruined the show:

Team Rocket: Within the first few seasons of the show, these guys were goofy, but actually felt threatening the first few times you saw them on TV. Later on as the series progresses, you see them do them do the same thing over and over again: try to steal Ash's Pokémon, and always failing at it. They are now just really annoying and I don't even know why Ash is their main target, why not pester someone else and take their Pokémon instead?

1. You failed several times over and over, why try again? There are exceptions where people get lucky, but in your case, this couldn't be less accurate.
    2. You're stealing the pets of your arch nemesis, do you expect his Pokémon to obey you when you give them orders? I would rather see them attacking you with Thunderbolts and Razor Shells rather than your desired targets.
    3. Ash is a terrible trainer!! Why would you want Pokémon from him?

Apart from Mewoth's annoying voice and their incompetence, nothing more needs to be said.

Ash Ketchum: Man, I hate Ash nowadays (sorry, but I have to say this word), a really uninteresting character who overstayed his welcome. When he and his group of friends are traveling together, I find him to be somewhat selfish. Most of the time in his mind, it seems that the only thing that matters is that they go to the next gym and he wins; not caring about what his friends and/or Pokémon want to do. He does come to watch Dawn or May's contests or stop to eat lunch, but other than that the show focuses more on what he wants to do than with his friends. But lets take a look at how bad he really is:

Much like Team Rocket, Ash was cool in Johto and Kanto seasons of the series and he actually was really interesting. When Hoenn came he didn't change very much at all and does the same thing over and over, which gets old after seeing it for like 20 times. All he ever does is obsess over becoming a Pokémon Master and constantly do battles every now and then. He stopped a fight with Mewtwo and Mew, met Legendary Pokémon (and fought them), thwarted Evil Bad Guy Plots, and win the Orange League; what more does he want? I know that Mewtwo erased his memory of that fight with Mew, but it still counts. Also, its been about 16 seasons and other than the previously mentioned feats, he hasn't even made any real progress and hasn't learned a damn thing from his mistakes. He frequently loses battles with his Rivals, Gym Leaders, and The League and hardly evolves any of the Pokémon he caught, why the heck is Oshawott still an Oshawott? Besides the Orange League, he never seemed to have won any of the others despite coming close, yet he never gives up and continues his pointless journey. Even if he gets the Mega Ring and uses Mega Evolution, I have every confidence that he'll never win the Kalos League and he's just gonna lose again, he'll never win it! If he somehow does and I'm wrong, I'll just cough up $10 to somebody. Seeing him getting his butt kicked multiple times gets old fast, its just really boring and I wonder why he even wants to be a master in the first place.

Simply put: Ash and Team Rocket have been in the spotlight for too long and received sunburn from it. To improve the show, I think its been way past time for their ship to sail and for someone else to take the throne, that ship is still waiting for them. They could still make small appearances in episodes against the new cast, they just don't need to be the stars anymore. I'm even going as far to say that they alone are bad enough to ruin the anime and are the cause of poor plots and repetition.

Dishonorable Mentions

Iris: I really don't find her as bad as everyone else does, though I will admit she isn't amazing either since she hardly tried to achieve her goals as a Dragon Master. Better than Dawn, but worse than May and Misty. I really love it when she calls Ash a kid and criticizes his flaws, it's so funny it's true *hi-fives her* :P. I also found it badass how she literally caught a Basculine with nothing but her bare hands, not everyone has the balls to catch a giant piranha without a fishing rod that could swarm around their legs and bite them and bite them, I know I don't. My real problem with her though, is that she's depicted as a wild child black girl. Could be because I'm a black kid myself, but I found Iris to be somewhat stereotypical (not in good way) towards blacks; seeing as how she swings in vines from trees, keeps her Axew inside her Thick Hair (Gross!), Got in trouble with Police Officers (for climbing a Radio Tower), Struggling in School, and Dropping Out of it. Comparable to Balrog/M.Bison and Elena from Street Fighter for me, other harmful stereotypes.

I don't really dislike Iris, but I still hate the way they portray her as a dropout wild child. Her voice acting is also terrible, she sounds too much like Hsien-Ko in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and despite being a black girl, she doesn't sound the slightest bit like one. Her voice itself is good, but it would sound better on someone else.

Dawn: Annoying voice is annoying, Make it Stop! Anyhoo, I found her backstory too similar to May, both trying to be Top Coordinators in contest. Kinda girly and never really interested me, I didn't really like the Contests in the games anyway (besides the Dancing Part).
    Last edited by Pika Kong; 1st January 2014 at 5:09 AM.

I would say Iris. She basically was a remake of Misty and there can only be one Misty. Anyways, Iris was very rude and obnoxious and horrible voice acting
    Zoey: All she did was criticize Dawn
    TRio (Only DP-Now) They're bland, and need to be kicked off the show. It's so sad how I just to be a fan of them.
    DP-XY Ash- He's boring, and too old now too. I just used to be a big fan girl of him.
    Brianna-Maybe cause of her Voice Actress?
    DP Brock-Literally there to be there.
    Last edited by OfCorsola; 9th June 2014 at 5:21 PM.
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl

This list is gonna be painfully short, since I've got an optimistic and go-with-the-flow kind of attitude in terms of all of the characters. HOWEVER, there are a couple of characters who just can't get onto my good side, no matter how accepting I try to be:

-Tobias: Now, his presence in the Sinnoh League would've been fine and dandy, if it weren't for the fact that he suddenly just APPEARS in the League. No word of him has ever been spoken prior to that. That simple fact just made his usage of Legendary Pokemon to get across the League quite painful and DEM-like. Ash can lose to Tobias either way for all I care, but if we heard of Tobias at least a couple of times prior to the League, then we as fans would've known who Ash would be coming up against, and his loss to Tobias would be at least less painful for us.

-TR (DP): This is admittedly not as much as I dislike Tobias, WAY far off actually. But I included this interpretation of TR in the list because I recently started watching DP on DVDs borrowed from my local library, and for TR to just show up in EVERY episode, even when they were 100% IRRELEVANT, just irked me so. I still liked their shenanigans, because I'm a fan of silly, senseless comedy, but for them to be episodically shoved down my throat was a bit too much of overload for me. I could also include XY's TR for this sole reason, but considering that they're getting the BW treatment in terms of the frequency of their appearances, I find that to be some compensation for that.

I just wanna say this: Pokémon Origins was really fun to watch without the presence of Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket and majorly, because of their absence. *sighs* I wish that moment could last forever... no more Ash Ketchum in every episode and being replaced with a brand new character
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Heureka - Bonnie - Eureka
    Citro - Clemont -Citron
    Ash - Ash - Satoshi
    Lucia - Dawn - Hikari

#5: Heureka because her only purpose is being cute, and if you don't care, she's nothing.
    #4: Citro, the guy is not funny. How many times are they gonna show you his inventions blowing up over and over?
    #3: Ash in Kalos, it seems like they try way too hard to make him cool when its just annoying.
    #2: Serena, because she's just there to fawn over Ash and when she's not doing that, she's...cooking. She does other stuff but they're not noteworthy.
    #1: Team Rocket in XY, they're not true villains, they just mess with the heroes a bit, put the current events on hold before blasting away. YAAAAWN. They're supposed to be funny but they're not.

Honorable mentions: Lucia's Mom, she's boring. She's supposed to be a mother and character first and a champion second, but she's defined by her status.
    Last edited by Benny+Lilia+Ash; 13th April 2014 at 8:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    You seem to be biased on hating XY, but don't worry I'm biased to hating BW lol.
    "Better attack this new guy on the forum, cause he likes a series i dislike", real mature, sigh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyhow characters i dislike:

Every non-Ash rival: Drew: started of as an A**. only for the writers to backtrack, for stupid love interest puposes, something in his design screams douche. harley: the guy was more villain than team rocket, and his "outfit look stupid, meaning there was two antagonists, but neither could be taken seriously. Dawns rivals were sooooooooooo bland, They all seemed to have gary symdrome, and theres a reason there isnt any of Ash´s rivals to rip off gary, They end up looking like pale immitations, except they never get beaten like gary did.

The characters who I disliked were Cilan, Paul and Trip. Cilan showed to be very annoying Always saying the word "Taste" and making ridiculous poses and Always jumping into odd conclusion when he starts to act as a detective. Paul and Trip were very arrogant, anti social and distant, while Paul showed to be cold and uncaring trainer towards his Pokémon, the writers should have made friendly saga's rivals such as Morrison, Barry and Bianca.
    My fav Pokémons

Presenting My Top 10 Least Favorite Characters from the Pokemon Anime, from worst of the worst to best of the worst:

#1: Serena- Her personality is pretty lifeless, flat, and dull most of the time when not sassy, she doesn't do much of anything in the group altogether and it's been 19 episodes already, meaning she's inactive most of the time and shafted, not to mention her obsessive crushing/fawning over Ash seeming to be her primary "goal" at present, plus she's mean to her mother (not that she's a great character either). Some people claim she has a charm to her, but frankly I don't see any of it, and she's easily the worst female heroine the anime has ever seen in my eyes at this point and time. *shrugs*

Ironically, she has the only English VA in the XY dub I can actually stand (rest all suck badly, except Clemont's VA, who is okay) and is good, Haven Paschall, but that's not nearly enough to make me like this badly written character by any stretch of the imagination.

#2: DP Brock- He was a useless tertiary male lead who pretty much just cooked, flirted with woman, felt even less important than COTDs of some episodes, had Pokemon like Croagunk that even had more personality than he did, and sounded like a very creepy old man in the dub of DP with pedophilic lines to boot like "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and these two men are gonna do it with or without a good woman at their sides," when in fact he's literally a 15 y/o teenager-- I don't like him, and I especially don't like the way his current English voice actor Bill Rogers voices him at all.

#3: Bonnie- Now that's obnoxious, horrible voice acting for me as far as Alyson Rosenfeld does it in the dub with that screechy adult woman voice coming out of a little girl for god sakes' (I'd rather listen to Eileen Stevens as Iris on loop): not to mention her cutesy-wutesy act and her already stale gag that is the direct antithesis of Brock's gag being more creepy than comical: Max was far, far better than Bonnie is to say the least.

#4: XY Team Rocket- I feel they are mindless, moronic imbecilic characters most of the time that argue and bicker constantly like children: the TPCi dub only makes it worse than it already is with constant rhymes, alliterations, and assonance coming out of JJM for no apparent reason and most of the time it makes no sense whatsoever (e.g "Primo perps"). I also don't like the way any of their current voice actors voice them in English, esp. Meowth who sounds like an old guy who smokes cigarettes now (not to mention the catchphrases "Dig it, jack" and "lugs" he has now), only it's been that way in their case since DP.

#5: DP Team Rocket- Same as XY Team Rocket, only slightly more bearable due to the release episodes they had with Cacnea and Dustox-- otherwise, just as terrible.

#6: DP Ash and BW Ash (tied)- DP Ash was too much of a battle borg who had no liveliness or personality whatsoever, while BW Ash was lively and had personality, but had no skill in battle and regressed as a trainer: both are towards opposite extremes of the spectrum, respectively, and I don't like that-- there needs to be some form of a balance between the two. Thankfully, XY Ash is okay so far and while I don't like him, I don't dislike him either. However, I don't like his voice actor in the English dub since BF to this day, either, on that note: Sarah Natochenny makes Ash sound way too old to be 10, and given Ash never ages, it doesn't fit him at all.

#7: Georgia- Wow, what a mean, selfish, obnoxious, jerk. She steals Cilan's food that he worked hard to make, she's always degrading and pushy to get what she wants, and is a self-absorbed, cocky, rude rival. The only good thing I can say about her is that she played off of Iris pretty well, though.

#8: Prof. Rowan- He likes mumbling in a language I can't understand a lot for some reason, and has a really gruff, annoying voice to go with that (e.g. "THAAAAAAN UFFFFF TO MAH BACCCCCK GURRRDEEEN"
    --> English translation: Then off to my back garden!)

#9: Johanna- Talk about a flat robot of a "mother" with no distinct personality or character whatsoever: a top coordinator means nothing if you have nothing to back it up, personality-wise.

#10: Grace- All I'm getting from her character is a feisty version of Johanna, really: I'm sorry, but I don't like her much myself.

Honorable Mentions: Giselle (EP009 of the OS' lass character), "Brave the Wave" Ash (AG020's Ash), Mars + Jupiter (DP's members of Team Galactic), Tobias (DP), Nanette (BW COTD), Cameron (BW), and "Madame X's Plot! The Scary Calamanero!!" Ash (XY019's Ash).

Quote Originally Posted by Pika Kong View Post
    I just wanna say this: Pokémon Origins was really fun to watch without the presence of Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket and majorly, because of their absence. *sighs* I wish that moment could last forever... no more Ash Ketchum in every episode and being replaced with a brand new character
    The dub of The Origin was actually good, too (unlike the dub of the anime since Season 9 up until the present Season 17 that is plain terrible), and I actually liked the voice actors and script writers: not to mention Red actually won the League growing a lot throughout his travels as a trainer but also as a character never feeling stagnant or emotionless, respectively, Giovanni was extremely well-fleshed out and developed-- heck, the only real complaint I have is Charizard over glorification, but other than that, I loved it and couldn't agree more!
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 16th March 2014 at 10:22 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Serena being "mean" to her mom was one of the best things I liked about her early character. After seeing Ash, May, Dawn, and anyone else suck up to their mothers, it was so refreshing seeing new interactions between a kid and their mom. I already like her interactions with her mom better then May and Dawn's with theirs. It was different and Serena actually had a voice against her parent. That's hard to do in a anime like this. I miss early Serena.

Anyway, I haven't posted here in ages. My dislike list remains the same. I don't hate anyone but the OS survivors are the least interesting in todays anime. That's Ash and TR for me. Surprisingly TR is slowly moving off the list, since they aren't in every episode anymore. Ash's spot remains the same. I still don't hate him. Just overall bored with his never ending story, that has just lost nearly all the appeal that made it exciting in the late 90's.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Honorable Mentions: Giselle (EP009 of the OS' lass character), "Brave the Wave" Ash (AG020's Ash), Mars + Juniper (DP's members of Team Galactic), Tobias (DP), Nanette (BW COTD), Cameron (BW), and "Madame X's Plot! The Scary Calamanero!!" Ash (XY019's Ash).
    I think you meant Jupiter...

Quote Originally Posted by KyogreThunder View Post
    I think you meant Jupiter...
    Yeah, I meant Jupiter-- typo: it happens, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Serena being "mean" to her mom was one of the best things I liked about her early character. After seeing Ash, May, Dawn, and anyone else suck up to their mothers, it was so refreshing seeing new interactions between a kid and their mom. I already like her interactions with her mom better then May and Dawn's with theirs. It was different and Serena actually had a voice against her parent. That's hard to do in a anime like this. I miss early Serena.

Anyway, I haven't posted here in ages. My dislike list remains the same. I don't hate anyone but the OS survivors are the least interesting in todays anime. That's Ash and TR for me. Surprisingly TR is slowly moving off the list, since they aren't in every episode anymore. Ash's spot remains the same. I still don't hate him. Just overall bored with his never ending story, that has just lost nearly all the appeal that made it exciting in the late 90's.
    I will admit early Serena was better than current Serena, for sure-- it's the writers to blame for how badly she's been handled, IMO. I honestly thought she was being mean to her mom, but that said, it certainly beats...the blandness of her personality, and loving crush moments we have now, sure. Eh, good point, I'll give you that.

Ash and TR are way, way, way past their prime (esp. TR, IMO-- Ash IS kinda bland and boring now, but that beats annoying and stupid outside of 1 episode this whole saga), is all I have to say. I appreciate there's less TR, but when they DO show up, their antics are just unbelievably obnoxious and irritating-- they were particularly bad in XY011, IMO.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 16th March 2014 at 10:30 PM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

For me it's gotta be:

1) Paul: I saw it mentioned earlier but yeah, basically he's a jerk and only to Ash, and the reason for it was lame (he's got some issues with his brother, and he even treats his brother better than Ash. This kid really needs to have some therapy time with his brother.) He's bearable when he's interacting with pretty much anyone else. Oh well, there was that time he was a jerk to the gym leader of his town too, but otherwise yeah. I'd have liked him a lot more if he had a good reason to irrationally hate Ash instead of the stupid one we got, but now he's just irredeemable to me.

2) DP Brock: I thought he was written so inconsistently. He cares a lot about pokemon and in the Kanto seasons he thought Charmander was being abused and yelled at its trainer. But in DP Chimchar is basically abused and he tells Paul "as a suggestion" that his "training style is not working for Chimchar." And then he turns around in an episode after this and goes psychotic on a trainer that wants to train her pokemon to make cute poses all the time. What?!
    He also seems to just be there, doing his gag about liking every woman he sees and barely making a comment, and even when Team Galactic is attacking he will barely lift a finger, except the one time his Crogunk was fighting, and that was only because Crogunk wanted to battle a Toxicroak that it had sensed. I remember him doing a whole lot more in Hoenn.

3) Misty: I hated her in the first season, she always acted superior and I didn't see her mocking as "teasing." And then Togepi came and she was a human Togepi carrier. And then she comes back in Hoenn and her personality seems like it was wiped and she says a few things here and there but barely says anything. I was surprised when I watched Chronicles the other day, she actually does a lot more than we see in the main series and seems to be hanging out a lot with her sisters and Tracy. Chronicles Misty > Main Series Misty

Also have to say Ash after Hoenn definitely regressed and got a reboot. It's like they thought he got too strong/mature or something. I still find him likeable but he was definitely at his best there.

Quote Originally Posted by teamaquagrunt View Post

3) Misty: I hated her in the first season, she always acted superior and I didn't see her mocking as "teasing." And then Togepi came and she was a human Togepi carrier. And then she comes back in Hoenn and her personality seems like it was wiped and she says a few things here and there but barely says anything. I was surprised when I watched Chronicles the other day, she actually does a lot more than we see in the main series and seems to be hanging out a lot with her sisters and Tracy. Chronicles Misty > Main Series Misty

Also have to say Ash after Hoenn definitely regressed and got a reboot. It's like they thought he got too strong/mature or something. I still find him likeable but he was definitely at his best there.
    Personally i don't think Misty was "devoid of personality" in Hoenn.
    She was portrayed as more grown up, responsible person filled with self esteem not being insecure in herself so much like she used to be while still being quirky, snarky, feisty and full of genuine characterization. Remaining that same hotheaded, outspoke and brave character we used to know getting into clash with villains like Hanson, coming up with sassy remarks toward Brock when getting on her nerves(such as whole flirting with princess Sarah), playfully teasing Ash about his trainer abilities like when stampede of Tauros run over him or his rude behavior managing to irritate her right of the bat when snatching invitation to Togepi festival from her making her annoyed). She was acting all brash, demanding and tough rescuing Togepi by herself and Gyarados, being resourceful and selfsufficient knowing how to take care of sick Pikavhu and lead Max to safety when they got lost in forest. Full of quirks and humorous behavior losing composure over bugs or feeling very shy, embarassed(such as when she got tricked in thinking she will appear on TV). As well coming of as compassionate and considerate character helping Max by teaching him about importance of his older sisters being able to relate herself to him by having issues with her sisters too or by showing lot of emotion and care either when releasing Togepi being heartbroken or toward Brock and Ash being overjoyed in seeing them again while worried when they got separated trying to protect her.

Also while i respect your opinion and can see from where your coming when it comes to Togepi. Since it was highly underutilized and static as pokemon wishing that writers evolved it sooner, made him of bigger influence to main plot and being able to battle rather than remaining helpless much to Misty attempts to teach him some attacks.

I still never saw myself "Misty as character which just stood aside holding egg"being actually active. She battled, brought humor and good chemistry within group, had her own dreams of becoming water master and living up to her idol E4 Lorelei, coached and mentored Ash along with influencing plot on several occasions having several achievements in actively trying solutions to resolve problems(like getting Snorlax over the mountain, solving clues of who is black Arachnid, protecting Diglett village from thiefs and plenty of other examples).
    While bursting with lot of emotion, depth and unique personality traits in my opinion helping to move things forward with her strong presence.

She was great in chronicles, dont get me wrong but its imo over the topexaggeration to say how she did more in 4 speacial episodes than she did in 276 episodes of main series. Receiving quite alot of character growth, exploration of her own motives and dreams and important role in setting foundation on which anime was developed and story was formed with Ash and Brock.

But if thats how you feel to each their own i guess.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 10th April 2014 at 9:17 AM.

Misty: I hated her in the first season, she always acted superior and I didn't see her mocking as "teasing."
    First of all, this is called Tsundere. Second of all, this is a huge Japanese term used for humour.

Heck, Misty in Johto was still way better than TR in DP and XY, Brock in DP, Serena, and Bonnie alone at worst-- that right there, says a lot.

Johto Misty may not be my favorite character, but is better than all the people mentioned above.

#6: Samurai: Just a big fat jerk who isn't even a FUN jerk unlike Giselle.
    #7: Richie (Ritchie): A nicey-nice clone of Ash...yawn. He's not top because I liked his friendship with Ash.
    #8: Sho (From Pikachu and Goliath!): One of the lamest antagonist characters of the day in the series, lamer version of Major Bob (Lt. Surge).
    #9: Any other lame character of the day from a generic filler.
    #10: Primula (Grace): An only slightly better version of Lucia's (Dawn) mom.
    #11: (Not a Pokemon but I thought I'd mention it anyway.) Heureka's Dedenne. Just annoying like her trainer.
    #12: Serena's Fynx (Fennekin): No real personality except vanity, which is bland at best and really annoying at worst (See episode 21).
    #13: Paul- Similar to Sasuke he's just an unlikable *******, and isn't very original either. He's just stock mean traits from the GS Rival Silver/Kamon/Whatever you want to call him.
    #14: Alan (The Strongest Mega Evolution - Act I): BORING!

Honorable Mention: J (Good villain, stock character.)
    Last edited by Benny+Lilia+Ash; 10th May 2014 at 8:49 PM.
    So much credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner!

I don't "hate" any character but I feel indifferent to some of them. For example:
    - Dawn: sure she got great screen time and development, but she never really interested me and I found her to be to much like ash.
    - Cilan: Unfunny, I can't stand his evaluation time and his constant talking about food.
    - Burgundy: Annoying and has an incredibly irritating voice. omg
    Last edited by besho; 10th April 2014 at 9:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by besho View Post
    First of all, this is called Tsundere. Second of all, this is a huge Japanese term used for humour.
    I am aware of what tsundere is and I never found it particularly funny. And since this is the least favorite character thread I think I'm allowed to have that opinion. I've seen a lot of anime characters like Misty and I know it's unpopular opinion at least online not to like her but c'mon, some people are not fans of her character type!

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132
    Personally i don't think Misty was "devoid of personality" in Hoenn.
    She was portrayed as more grown up, responsible person filled with self esteem not being insecure in herself so much like she used to be while still being quirky, snarky, feisty and full of genuine characterization. Remaining that same hotheaded, outspoke and brave character we used to know getting into clash with villains like Hanson, coming up with sassy remarks toward Brock when getting on her nerves(such as whole flirting with princess Sarah), playfully teasing Ash about his trainer abilities like when stampede of Tauros run over him or his rude behavior managing to irritate her right of the bat when snatching invitation to Togepi festival from her making her annoyed). She was acting all brash, demanding and tough rescuing Togepi by herself and Gyarados, being resourceful and selfsufficient knowing how to take care of sick Pikavhu and lead Max to safety when they got lost in forest. Full of quirks and humorous behavior losing composure over bugs or feeling very shy, embarassed(such as when she got tricked in thinking she will appear on TV). As well coming of as compassionate and considerate character helping Max by teaching him about importance of his older sisters being able to relate herself to him by having issues with her sisters too or by showing lot of emotion and care either when releasing Togepi being heartbroken or toward Brock and Ash being overjoyed in seeing them again while worried when they got separated trying to protect her.

Also while i respect your opinion and can see from where your coming when it comes to Togepi. Since it was highly underutilized and static as pokemon wishing that writers evolved it sooner, made him of bigger influence to main plot and being able to battle rather than remaining helpless much to Misty attempts to teach him some attacks.

I still never saw myself "Misty as character which just stood aside holding egg"being actually active. She battled, brought humor and good chemistry within group, had her own dreams of becoming water master and living up to her idol E4 Lorelei, coached and mentored Ash along with influencing plot on several occasions having several achievements in actively trying solutions to resolve problems(like getting Snorlax over the mountain, solving clues of who is black Arachnid, protecting Diglett village from thiefs and plenty of other examples).
    While bursting with lot of emotion, depth and unique personality traits in my opinion helping to move things forward with her strong presence.

She was great in chronicles, dont get me wrong but its imo over the topexaggeration to say how she did more in 4 speacial episodes than she did in 276 episodes of main series. Receiving quite alot of character growth, exploration of her own motives and dreams and important role in setting foundation on which anime was developed and story was formed with Ash and Brock.

But if thats how you feel to each their own i guess.
    Thanks, I respect your opinion too. I have no doubt Misty grew over the main series, but I have to disagree. Chronicles episodes seemed to focus more on people than pokemon, but in the main series most of the series is devoted to the pokemon they meet on the journey and there is very little character development. You have to see a lot of episodes in the main series to see that kind of development. I don't remember Johto very well, sorry I was too young then and it felt like too much filler to me. Misty didn't seem to say much from what I saw when she came in Hoenn; I do remember that episode when she connected with Max but that was kinda all I saw there was to her personality there. I felt like I could see the growth she had way more in Chronicles. I'll agree with you on all the Johto stuff, but I was mostly talking about Hoenn as I don't remember that as well.

Also Misty suffers from being in the original series, the anime got markedly better in the later seasons with character development and pokemon personalities. I have no doubt she'd be better written if she was in a later season rather than the first.

And one more thing. I personally dislike Misty's traits BUT it's not like I won't agree that she was very important to Ash, Brock, and Tracy. Of course Ash considers her as a very important friend, and I'll agree with you on all those quirks. Thank you for explaining so well though, and also sorry I didn't clarify very well in my first post ^^
    Villager: Does your sciiiiiienceee explain why it rains?
    Sokka: YES! YES IT DOOOOOOOES

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Heck, Misty in Johto was still way better than TR in DP and XY, Brock in DP, Serena, and Bonnie alone at worst-- that right there, says a lot.
    I have to agree.
    Though to be perfectly honest i didn't found Misty in Johto any worse than she was in Kanto. Underused at times yes not receiving enough screen time , development and exposure for three years long saga, but in essence Misty in Johto was moe or less same character as she was in Kantpo, Orange islands.

Spoiler:- explanation:

Thanks, I respect your opinion too. I have no doubt Misty grew over the main series, but I have to disagree. Chronicles episodes seemed to focus more on people than pokemon, but in the main series most of the series is devoted to the pokemon they meet on the journey and there is very little character development. You have to see a lot of episodes in the main series to see that kind of development. I don't remember Johto very well, sorry I was too young then and it felt like too much filler to me. Misty didn't seem to say much from what I saw when she came in Hoenn; I do remember that episode when she connected with Max but that was kinda all I saw there was to her personality there. I felt like I could see the growth she had way more in Chronicles. I'll agree with you on all the Johto stuff, but I was mostly talking about Hoenn as I don't remember that as well.

Also Misty suffers from being in the original series, the anime got markedly better in the later seasons with character development and pokemon personalities. I have no doubt she'd be better written if she was in a later season rather than the first.

And one more thing. I personally dislike Misty's traits BUT it's not like I won't agree that she was very important to Ash, Brock, and Tracy. Of course Ash considers her as a very important friend, and I'll agree with you on all those quirks. Thank you for explaining so well though, and also sorry I didn't clarify very well in my first post ^^
    Well its true, Misty didn't got as much fleshing out regarding her dreams and goals of mastering water types like it was case with girls in later sagas. Although to be fair formula of pokemon anime used to be different in OS with more emphasis being put on exploration of human personalities, their fears and motives along with sense of adventure and strong unity build among them. With less importance being given to development of pokemon and someone career.

As result most of Misty growth in main series was comprised of her emotional development with time writers expanding on various sides to her personality like sarcasm, sense of humor, curiosity in often coming up with solutions how to resolve dangerous situations, passion for water type and battling, fondness of romance often dreaming and having tendency to pair up other people who are in love etc. Showing there was more beneath surface of violent , temperament girl receiving more depth.

Her growth happened gradually learning how to be more open and considerate toward Ash, Brock and various people they met on travels not jumping so quickly on first ball and being willing to accept her flaws in becoming more selfcritic. Learned hows to better understand pokemon feelings(such as encounter with wild Odish, Marill from early Johto or her Psyduck growing to like him and accept who he is regardless of sometime getting on her nerves). Got over complex of feeling inferior to her older sisters gaining more confidence, independence as character discovering her own qualities. Which was especially evident in late seasons often taking charge to move things on her own, being more adamant about accomplishing her dreams and battling not needing to rely on others as much.

Misty development was gradual happening over long period of time and mostly happened in sense of emotionally growing. But on negative side her goal, various interests and more expansion on her background and flaws didn't got enough attention.

Speaking of her Hoenn appearances. I still think Misty showed lot of personality there. In first cameo about Togepi and its evolution she received some character development in understanding how regardless of how she feels its for best to release it protecting its friends showing lot of emotion for him.
    Misty also brimmed with various traits playfully teasing Ash, being sassy and irritated over Brock flirting, brash and abrasive taking initiative to retrieve Togepi from Hanson being badass and tough(especiually notable moment was when using Gyarados) or just plain funny. In being freightened and freaked out by bugs(like Ninjask and Shedinja), coming up with humorous escapades in showing of her skills anf knowledge.

Granted in Misty first appearance(about Togepi) there weren't scenes where she was spending time alone with others getting to bond on closer level(like it was moment with Max in cave when talking about older siblings), but thats because Togepi two parter was very plot based and filled with action not leaving enough time for such moments. Still personally i found Misty showed LOT of character there brimming with pride, feisty nature, confidence and her quirky, passionate side showing lot of emotion, flare and rough, more mature nature inherent to her.

But i guess we see this from different perspective , point of view. Nothing wrong with that though, so even though i respect your view im still standing by what i said initially about Misty characterization in Hoenn.

So ill just agree to disagree with you over this i guess.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 11th April 2014 at 1:17 PM.

that wasn't 'For Crying out Loud" where Misty saw the hated Nurse Joy with a dislike for water Pokemon, it was the episode "The Joy of Water Pokemon"

My, where do I even start? Well, in no particular order...

Misty: I never really liked bossy, self-centered, people who just criticize MC & get angry over every little thing.

Jessie (S1-??): Same thing as above, but she was an awful "friend". She only thought of herself, always blamed James for most things and made Meowth & James do all the work, & during an episode she tried to steal the badges they stole for herself.

Harley: First of all, he isn't really sure if May took his cookies or not. Also, even if May is willing to forgive him, he sure is hung up on revenge for stupid reasons. I also just find him generally annoying from the way he talks and thinks.

Ursula: She was just a jerk, and there was no sympathizing with her at all, because she was just there to add drama to Dawn.

Barry: I found him very annoying when all he does is "fine" Ash all the time & his super impatiences is extremely annoying.

Trip: There is nothing interesting about him. He just has a superiority complex and is just boring.

Bianca: Sorta upset that they ruined a good character in the game and made her fault 10x worse. Not only was she always in a rush irritating (like really why does she never learn from this?), but how she's just obnoxious even in battle. "NO STOP DODGING THAT'S CHEATING! >C)" It makes me wonder how she even beat Trip, or anyone for that matter with how she was thinking then. Even Ash didn't think dodging was cheating when he was a newbie trainer, and he thought a lot of things were considered cheating.

Iris: Her attitude was very irritating, especially in the beginning. Acting superior with her infamous "such a kid" line and acting like she's better than anyone else.

Cilan (& hey, you can add the other connisurs or whatever here too): His "Evaluating time!!!!!" or whatever always made it seem like he was superior to anyone he did it to.

Dawn's Piplup: Very self-centered, obnoxious, and useless on it's own. At least Pikachu is shown he can handle TR on his own. But Piplub? When it's being laughed at by them, all it can do is wake the others up...

Burgandy: Yeah she's also a connisur or whatever, but I think she's so bad she deserves a separate mention. It's like all she know's how to be is angry. Also, lets not forget that she like, almost harassed Ash or something just cause she personally didn't like his pokemon, or Cilan. Also she thinks she's amazing in every way, except she always loses.

Misty's sisters: Yeah Misty's pretty bad IMO but these girls are way more self-centered and force her to do things for them she doesn't want to do & almost make Misty be an outcast because she isn't like them. They also say she's the ugliest sister or something. They are so awful that I feel sorry for Misty having sisters like them.

Skyla: She is just such a bimbo in the anime. Why her grandfather made her the gym leader is beyond me. Also she did something to counter electric types with Swanna, but NOPE IMPOSSIBLE FOR OTHER TRAINERS TO DO THAT LAWLZ. Her sky battles are an insult to the audience. I also don't get how she was so dumb & stopped battling altogether, but was still able to be a great battler. What a bunch of horse...

Well I think that's all the main ones...
    Last edited by HoundoomFan; 3rd June 2014 at 7:57 PM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast