Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: *READ THE FIRST POST!!!* Characters You Dislike

Serena's Mom: Good god, what a pushover. She lets her bratty daughter treat her like crap, but spoils her anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by teamaquagrunt View Post
    1) Paul: I saw it mentioned earlier but yeah, basically he's a jerk and only to Ash, and the reason for it was lame (he's got some issues with his brother, and he even treats his brother better than Ash. This kid really needs to have some therapy time with his brother.) He's bearable when he's interacting with pretty much anyone else. Oh well, there was that time he was a jerk to the gym leader of his town too, but otherwise yeah. I'd have liked him a lot more if he had a good reason to irrationally hate Ash instead of the stupid one we got, but now he's just irredeemable to me.
    Paul's always had a cruel streak according to his older brother, but witnessing his older brother give up his career as trainer after a defeat, he became determined to become a stronger trainer. And why wouldn't Paul treat his own brother better than some random kid he dislikes?

How is Paul's dislike for Ash irrational? He dislikes Ash because he disagrees with his methodology and Ash is the one that bothered Paul about how he treated his Pokemon while Paul was trying to go on about his business.
    Last edited by PokeBash; 3rd May 2014 at 7:08 AM.

Human Characters I dislike:

Tobias: For being Deus Ex Machina incarnate and having no personality.

Cameron: Worse than Tobias; at least that guy made Ash's loss at the League dignified, Cameron is just a disgrace. He is also the most obnoxious character the anime has ever created, as he is basically Ash without any of his positive attributes, while the negative ones are amplified to ridiculous levels, namely dumb luck and idiocy. All in all, I hope we never see this idiot again, and he should have never been created in the first place. Out of this list, Cameron is my personal least favorite character, and probably the only one I truly despise.

Trip: He is easily Ash's worst rival, and it doesn't help that he got off a wrong start with having an inexplicably OP starter beat Ash's Pikachu (and no, Zekrom draining Pikachu is not an excuse: it was explicitly stated that only his electric attacks had been affected, and Pika has defeated much stronger opponents without using electric attacks before), and that he has a blander personality and motivation compared to other rivals. I do believe that he could have been redeemed if the writers had actually done something with his character, but alas...

Max: He's just really annoying, and his addition to the group was pretty pointless (Bonnie is also pointless, but at least she has the excuse of existing in the games, whereas Max does not from what I can recall). I do admit that he has his moments, but on the whole I just don't like him. This does have more to do with his personality than his actual role in the group, however; I just really dislike the bratty-kid-who-thinks-he's-so-much-better-and-smarter-than-everyone-else kind of character.

Cilan: He was funny at first, but his food puns got annoying really fast, and his shtick of having like a bazillion talents that he excels at and having almost no flaws (and even then, said flaws are always played for comedy, unlike other characters) makes him come off as a Mary Sue.

Pokemon characters I dislike:

Misty's Togepi: For being a waste of space and basically doing nothing but sit on Misty's arms and occasionally get in trouble.

Dawn's Piplup: For being obnoxious and stealing screentime from the rest of Dawn's team.

Iris's Axew: same as Togepi, but swap Misty with Iris. Okay, he did battle, but he was completely unable to even put up a fight without the aid of an OP Deus Ex Machina move; neither of which he deserved to learn, seeing how he barely trained. Also, the fact that he gets an entire filler episode dedicated to him in the middle of the Unova League, which really didn't need any help in looking worse.

Dishonorable mentions:

Ash Ketchum: I thought I hated this guy, but then Cameron came along and made me realize that it's not Ash himself that I hate, but rather some of his traits which make him obnoxious at times. So I guess Cameron did do something good after all: he made me hate him so much that another character was redeemed because of that.

Iris: This girl is just wasted potential. Her goal of being a Dragon Master was not fully explored and her only dragons consist of a weak baby that refuses to grow up and a pseudo-legendary that was already powerful before she obtained him, was captured without a battle, and isn't strong because Iris trained him but because the writers just decided to hand it over in a sliver platter, because Arceus forbid that Iris actually gets a subplot to herself, so here, have an overpowered Dragonite and we'll call that development. Not helping matters is that her voice and catchphrase were irritating to listen to. In both English and Japanese. I do think that she could have been an interesting and perhaps great character if the writers had actually made her work with her dragons to get stronger, and the fact that she isn't fanservice-y is a bonus for her.

Serena: OMG, will you stop being such a load already. Seriously, this girl has yet to do anything at all aside from videos and baking; even Bonnie feels more useful and she's like seven years old. While I am not a shipper, her crush on Ash kind of irritates me because it's pretty obvious that that little subplot is not going to go anywhere: it's Ash, for crying out loud; that kid would not know what love is if it walked up to him and punched him in the face. It also doesn't help that Serena is disgustingly weak and useless. The only reason why she's even in the dishonorable mentions is because Kalos is still ongoing and she has room for redemption, but if she actually goes through the entire region being like this she could easily win the position of my least favorite companion ever, trumping even Max and Cilan.
    Last edited by Arrow-Jolteon; 17th May 2014 at 6:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeBash
    Paul's always had a cruel streak according to his older brother, but witnessing his older brother give up his career as trainer after a defeat, he became determined to become a stronger trainer. And why wouldn't Paul treat his own brother better than some random kid he dislikes?

How is Paul's dislike for Ash irrational? He dislikes Ash because he disagrees with his methodology and Ash is the one that bothered Paul about how he treated his Pokemon while Paul was trying to go on about his business

Apologies, didn't notice your response.

You're free to think whatever you will, of course, but my understanding is that Paul's issues with his brother *are* the reason that he hates Ash. The training style reminds him of his brother. Which means he has a problem with his brother. It's not that he shouldn't treat his brother better than a random kid, it's that he should discuss these issues with his brother. It's unhealthy to fester your hatred and misdirect it to someone else. I do think he was being irrationally angry. The things he said to Ash were out of line when they started their "rivalry."If it was constructive criticism- fine. But he hated the kid. They shouldn't have associated. I do agree with you that Ash bothered Paul about the way he treated his pokemon, which I thought was weird for Ash that he was up in Paul's business so much, too, but eh, I've said my piece on that elsewhere. Paul *only* treats Ash that way (+ that gym leader but eh) which does make me think he's irrational. But we can both agree he was cruel, yeah?

Also, since we've seen Paul mostly in Ash's POV, I'm unsure what his actual personality is. But if he has the capacity to treat living sentient beings the way he did (Ash, Chimchar, that gym leader whose name I can't remember) than yes, he'll remain on my most hated list.
    Last edited by teamaquagrunt; 21st May 2014 at 7:56 AM. Reason: forgot to quote
    Villager: Does your sciiiiiienceee explain why it rains?
    Sokka: YES! YES IT DOOOOOOOES

1. Misty - annoying, hot head, arrogant tries to catch Pokemon that Ash wants to, overall, she was a burden to Ash.
    1. Tying with Misty is Iris - fool, calls Ash a kid, burden to Ash, ugly, etc
    2. Drew - I hate contestshipping, he is arrogant, etc
    Last edited by Inferno792; 31st May 2014 at 4:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno792 View Post
    1. Misty - annoying, hot head, arrogant tries to catch Pokemon that Ash wants to, overall, she was a burden to Ash.
    1. Tying with Misty is Iris - fool, calls Ash a kid, burden to Ash, ugly, etc
    2. Drew - I hate contestshipping, he is arrogant, etc
    I'm not a fan of Iris either, but no, you can't just criticize/hate a character just because they're "ugly" That just doesn't seem right.
    ☠Two street thug sisters and Death The Kid☠

Ignoring the main characters I hate that I already stated in addition to others I stated, here's some more COTDs/rivals that really irritate me:

Zoey- What a b*tch: first, she has the nerve to tell Ash he can't do both contests and battles if HE wants to, then she mocks Dawn and Ash's Pokemon and training styles at points, and she wins the Grand Festival by shocking Gallade with her Glameow making it look like an erection after Dawn deserved to win that battle.

Barry- Not funny: just has the same terrible running gag of bumping into Ash and then saying that he's gonna fine you like in the games-- gee, how creative and original, guys.

Rapping Bros. (XY)- Annoying in any version, they're just a bunch of dumb hipsters whose "yo" fetish speaks for itself.

Sanpei- ADHD Ninja Kid.

Bianca- Ditzy airhead with the same knock Ash into the water running gag almost every time she appeared.

Princess Angie- B*tch incarnate: my things, my things, my things? Your things, your things, you're like the new Jessie of b*tchdom.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 9th June 2014 at 1:07 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

This should help get some stuff out of my system.

- Drew: Created as a rival, Until the writers found out they had a good design, and so, contestshipping was created. Well, sadly He is still a massive prick, and When a character can get me pissed at May, Somthing is dead wrong.

Zoey: Gary stu, like no one never was, All Dawn'd rivals really ****ed.

Max: I found him to be stupid pandering when I was 6, and He is still awful now. Every kid related to Ash, So why did we need an annoying punk kid, was werent even in the games.

Brock and misty: This is only really one episode, but they were terrible in ep. 08

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post

Max: I found him to be stupid pandering when I was 6, and He is still awful now. Every kid related to Ash, So why did we need an annoying punk kid, was werent even in the games.

Brock and misty: This is only really one episode, but they were terrible in ep. 08
    If you think Max is bad, Bonnie must be atrocious, honestly: I'm not saying he's perfect or anything, but compared to her, he's really tolerable to me.

See DP Brock and mid-Johto Misty if you think they were bad in Ep. 8 (though, I'm not denying that is one of their worst episodes in Kanto).
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 9th June 2014 at 2:46 PM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonNation2000 View Post

See DP Brock and mid-Johto Misty if you think they were bad in Ep. 8 (though, I'm not denying that is one of their worst episodes in Kanto).
    Personally im not sure if i even understand what was that bad about Misty and Brock in episode 8? If im not mistaken it was titled "Path to the POkemon league" focusing on trainer AJ. Misty and Brock acted perfectly fine imo only preventing Ash from getting too ridged and ahead of himself bringing witty remarks and enjoyable humor. Brock even had some nice moment talking with AJ about various types of pokemon food in raising them to be in top shape.

For that matter i don't think Misty was bad character in mid Johto either. Shafted at times? Yes, but she was still great character imo being hoitheaded, curious, gurly, sarcastic and emotional. And i recall several episoides from there i really liked where she was more actively involvced(like Heartbreak of Brock, Hook, Line and Stinker, Trouble Brewing clicking great with kimono girls sister Sakura leading to strong friendship. Unbearable falling for Teddiursa charm, when she had hilarious moments in episode featuring return of Koga sister Aya or when nurse Joy who hated water pokemon crushed her childhood dream etc.

What she needed was more focus and development there, but overall i think character itself wasn't bad persay. Only underused imo.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Personally im not sure if i even understand what was that bad about Misty and Brock in episode 8? If im not mistaken it was titled "Path to the POkemon league" focusing on trainer AJ. Misty and Brock acted perfectly fine imo only preventing Ash from getting too ridged and ahead of himself bringing witty remarks and enjoyable humor. Brock even had some nice moment talking with AJ about various types of pokemon food in raising them to be in top shape.

For that matter i don't think Misty was bad character in mid Johto either. Shafted at times? Yes, but she was still great character imo being hoitheaded, curious, gurly, sarcastic and emotional. And i recall several episoides from there i really liked where she was more actively involvced(like Heartbreak of Brock, Hook, Line and Stinker, Trouble Brewing clicking great with kimono girls sister Sakura leading to strong friendship. Unbearable falling for Teddiursa charm, when she had hilarious moments in episode featuring return of Koga sister Aya or when nurse Joy who hated water pokemon crushed her childhood dream etc.

What she needed was more focus and development there, but overall i think character itself wasn't bad persay. Only underused imo.
    I don't really get it, either, man: I agree with you-- excellent points.

Oh, I know: I'm just saying, if he thinks that's bad, then he should look there because they're both far worse there than in Episode 8 of Kanto if that makes sense. Even mid-Johto Misty (her low point, IMO) did far more than Serena (or Bonnie) has to date...

I don't really get it, either, man: I agree with you-- excellent points.

Oh, I know: I'm just saying, if he thinks that's bad, then he should look there because they're both far worse there than in Episode 8 of Kanto if that makes sense. Even mid-Johto Misty (her low point, IMO) did far more than Serena (or Bonnie) has to date...
    Well one episode isn't good indication to asses how much certain character was active., But over all in terms of focus and interactions Misty and brock were definitely less represented in mid Johto than it was case in Kanto unfortunately(though things improved in Master Quest, even more so for former one). However characterization as whole was still one of strong points there. Enjoying in humor, clash or motivation Brock and Misty actions delivered through mid Johto episodes,. One of best episodes from there imo was "Sick Daze" showing how much reliant Ash and Misty were on Brock showing lot of care and fear for his safety. Being overall great characters.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Well one episode isn't good indication to asses how much certain character was active., But over all in terms of focus and interactions Misty and brock were definitely less represented in mid Johto than it was case in Kanto unfortunately(though things improved in Master Quest, even more so for former one). However characterization as whole was still one of strong points there. Enjoying in humor, clash or motivation Brock and Misty actions delivered through mid Johto episodes,. One of best episodes from there imo was "Sick Daze" showing how much reliant Ash and Misty were on Brock showing lot of care and fear for his safety. Being overall great characters.
    Yeah, I completely agree with you there, man: "Sick Daze" was an excellent episode, IMO. Definitely, bro.

Brock and Misty dont strike me as people who would let a guy whip hus sandslash (cant remember what the pre evolution is called).

For gym leaders, misty and Brock were so damn average, For being these wise trainers, they honestly cant beat some stupid criminals.

Add all the kanto gym leaders to that, they all ticked me off.

Erika "you cant battle me, if you dont like parfume".

Sabrina "turns people into dolls".

Koga "it's from japan, and ninja's are cool right?"

Blaine "Pikachu, death by Lava"

Kanto is so lucky that it was the first season.

Brock and Misty dont strike me as people who would let a guy whip hus sandslash (cant remember what the pre evolution is called).

For gym leaders, misty and Brock were so damn average, For being these wise trainers, they honestly cant beat some stupid criminals.

Add all the kanto gym leaders to that, they all ticked me off.

Erika "you cant battle me, if you dont like parfume".

Sabrina "turns people into dolls".

Koga "it's from japan, and ninja's are cool right?"

Blaine "Pikachu, death by Lava"

Kanto is so lucky that it was the first season.
    You mean Sandshrew, and I agree, but they're telling Ash not to interfere with AJ's training methods because he cannot tell him what he must do even if they disagree with his methods.

You act like Clemont is any better, when he's not: like Ash, in Kanto, they were just starting out and weren't that wise at the time (except for Brock to some extent).

Erika was a b*tch in that regard, so yeah, I agree there, but the episode itself involving Ash's character was excellent and way better than seeing him do the same thing we all do in the Games again and again: character speaks louder than winning the badge normally to me in the Anime.

Sabrina was awesome: we don't see that kind of epic Gym Leader anymore-- just goody two shoes all the time with no real distinct personalities other than showing the same generic enthusiasm for crap.

Tell that to Dogasu lol. Seriously, though, there was no problem with Koga whatsoever.

There was also no problem with Blaine.

You mean Sandshrew, and I agree, but they're telling Ash not to interfere with AJ's training methods because he cannot tell him what he must do even if they disagree with his methods.

You act like Clemont is any better, when he's not: like Ash, in Kanto, they were just starting out and weren't that wise at the time (except for Brock to some extent).

Erika was a b*tch in that regard, so yeah, I agree there, but the episode itself involving Ash's character was excellent and way better than seeing him do the same thing we all do in the Games again and again: character speaks louder than winning the badge normally to me in the Anime.

Sabrina was awesome: we don't see that kind of epic Gym Leader anymore-- just goody two shoes all the time with no real distinct personalities other than showing the same generic enthusiasm for crap.

Tell that to Dogasu lol. Seriously, though, there was no problem with Koga whatsoever.

There was also no problem with Blaine.
    Epic = mentally unstable, like, honestly I dont want to start an argument (too late), but she was too sinister for a kids show.

Blaine and Koga were blander than wonderbread, but then again, that can be said about 90% of gym leaders.

Overall I guess Im a little sick of hearing about Kanto.

Epic = mentally unstable, like, honestly I dont want to start an argument (too late), but she was too sinister for a kids show.

Blaine and Koga were blander than wonderbread, but then again, that can be said about 90% of gym leaders.

Overall I guess Im a little sick of hearing about Kanto.
    I think that sinister attitude is what made her appealing, though: she was malicious, evil, almost like a real challenge, and Ash had to use everything he had to beat her-- I think she was great for a Gym Leader and one of the more memorable ones because of what it took to stop her. Plus, she went insane because she felt neglected by her parents, which was a really awesome back story and made you feel some sympathy towards her in that regard.

Koga, yes, but Blaine wasn't: he was pretty comical and goofy with his attitude in "Riddle Me This" if you recall that.

I can understand, but Kanto has a lot of good points to it, so it's reasonable why some people like it.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 9th June 2014 at 7:12 PM.

I really disliked Iris because she was constantly telling Ash "You are such a kid" or something along those lines, and it irked me because she was also a kid (it's a pet peeve of mine, like the whole I know what you are but what am I? thing) and the fact that Axew never evolved or made any progress also put a thorn in my side so there's my two cents on it

I would say Tracey & Paul. No, not just because I'm a GymShipper and CavalierShipper. I have reasons other than that, though OrangeShipping and IkariShipping are two of my rival ships.

First, Tracey. He was a terrible replacement for Brock, who was always one of my favorite characters. He's just plain dull to me. Drawing girls was never as funny and exciting as Brock actually talking to girls and flirting them, resulting in either an ear pull by Misty, an ear pull by Max, or even a Poison Jab by Croagunk (which I'm surprised he always survived). And yes, shipping is one of the reasons I don't like him, but not the main reason. We all have shippings we just don't want any part of, and OrangeShipping just happens to be one of them.

And then there's Paul. He was a very boring rival. Paul always spoke in a monotone, never showed emotion, and always acted mean. Trip is kind of like that, but his development showed a reason behind his ways. And IkariShipping. I personally don't get it. Here we have Paul, the meanest rival Ash has ever encountered (Gary and Trip weren't close to it). And Dawn, the girl who never means to hurt anyone and makes good friends with her rivals. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't work for me.

I'm trying my best to not bash any ships here! So don't hate me if OrangeShipping or IkariShipping happen to be one of your OTPs.
    Need to complete the Pokedex!

Anna the Pokémon Breeder and hopefully future Coordinator

Planned ORAS Team:

1. Bonnie. She is just so darn annoying with her squeaky childish voice, and whenever someone does something, she is like "i wanna too! I wanna too" or "you're just a big meanie"... Seriously, how childish can they make her... I would prefer Max or Iris being in the anime over her any day of the week....

2. Barry. Hearing him say "I'm going to fine you" over and over and over. It was already annoying the first time, but then the creators decided to say it 12980234 more times...

3. Tobias. Seriously? A person with a team of legendaries? Way to go, writers.... Bring in someone with such overpowered Pokemon that literally no one stand a chance. Besides Ash, no one could even get past his Darkrai. I dont hate Tobias personally, his character is fine. But putting him in the Pokemon League was just plain stupid. If you're going to make Ash lose, atleast let him lose to someone who he stood a chance against.

4. Iris. "You're such a little kid"

5. Ash. Overall I don't hate him, but his "Science is so amazing" catchphrase is really annoying.
    Last edited by Eruantiel; 17th August 2014 at 4:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eruantiel View Post

5. Ash. His "Science is so amazing" catchphrase is really annoying.
    It is, but his dialogue has been really bad since TPCi took over the English dub in general, like when he said "I'm not a noob!" or "Observation! I'm an observer! I'm doin' it!" or "Wow...Nathaniel reminds me o' me!" in the DP dub, for example.

There's an even worse variation of this phrase in the XY dub where Ash says, "It's amazin' that science is so amazing" as well.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 29th August 2014 at 9:16 AM.

I dislike Ash in XY because he is overglorified and has to do everything and steal screentime from other characters, especially Serena.
    XY Team Rocket, they're even somehow worse than DP Team Rocket imo. They're really annoying and have no purpose but being pointless plot devices in the anime anymore, and they steal alot of screentime, especially from Serena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Really the only one I dislike is Iris and Cilan to some degree. Granted Cilan and I have more of a Reba/Babra Jean relationship while I just despise Iris. Well anime Iris. I'm rather fond of game Iris. Really besides that I'm fond of everyone else including ones people dislike like Kenny and Tobias.

So far I have liked most everybody in the show except for one character.

May.

May was quite damaging to Pokemon for me. When she was first introduced to the show she was clueless, unmotivated, and boring. Continuing through the show she was clueless, unmotivated, and boring. The way she decided to start doing contests was more of an obligatory reason than a passionate one. It was like she saw one contest and was just obliged to do the next one. She never seemed too eager to hunt down the next contest herself, but rather just aimlessly wander with Ash until they hit a town with another contest that she, again, was obliged to participate in.

On top of this she was an all around boring person. She never really had an opinion on anything going on. She just played follow the leader basically. Even when Ash and her dad were battling she still didn't have an opinion on who should win. It was just always "la la la" to her. That is exactly what I picture going on in her head 27/7. Nothing more than "la la la."

And she and Ash weren't even very good friends for the first 2 and a half seasons of Advanced. I swear there are multiple episodes in a row where the two don't even speak to eachother. I was very surprised while watching just how little the two every really interacted with eachother.

Her Pokemon too were boring and flat just as she was. Her Torchick sucked and none of her other Pokemon stood out. They needed to give her a Bulbasaur and Squirtle to help make her cooler.

She did get way better at the end of the Advanced series. With the introduction of Harley the audience finally had a reason to root for May. She actually became exciting to watch in the grand festival and watching her beat Harley was fantastic. But I feel that her dullness in the majority of the show she was in kinda ruined her character.

(I know many many people are huge fans of May. I never watched the show before this summer, so understand that I have been seeing every episode in a rather short amount of time. I got to see characters unfold before my eyes rather than watching for years to see them develop and though May's development was strong, she as a person was flat and boring.)
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

I've updated my list of characters I dislike in the anime.

Cameron: I seriously never got why it'd be fun to write a character like him into the show at the last minute just to humiliate Ash.
    Tobias: What a rushed character, if he had more foreshadowing and less invincible, I'd tolerate him more.
    Drew: Don't get me wrong, he was a great rival for May. But he just seemed like a character created solely for shipping (ironic that I like Serena too), and his arrogance was boring since we just saw Gary with the same type of it earlier.
    Ritchie: Oh man, if people complained about Ash being stale, this guy must be dullness incarnate. He was just an Ash clone created to make Ash look like a bad trainer.
    DP Brock: I'm sure he blended into the background in some epiosdes.
    DP/XY TR: Overall just very annoying characters made even worse in the dub.
    Bonnie: One dimensional, overly cute, torture in the dub.

I'm sure there are other characters, but I can't seem to remember them, ah well.

Compared to several characters on this show, I find May was actually pretty good, but that's just me.
    Agreed with this, I mean compared to characters like the ones I've listed, Serena, and Bonnie, May is one of the best characters in the anime who developed in a realistic way. I also think that Ash and May were good friends and did speak to each other, but that's just me.
    Last edited by DarkLucarioADV; 27th August 2014 at 2:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minerswhocraft View Post
    So far I have liked most everybody in the show except for one character.

May.

May was quite damaging to Pokemon for me. When she was first introduced to the show she was clueless, unmotivated, and boring. Continuing through the show she was clueless, unmotivated, and boring. The way she decided to start doing contests was more of an obligatory reason than a passionate one. It was like she saw one contest and was just obliged to do the next one. She never seemed too eager to hunt down the next contest herself, but rather just aimlessly wander with Ash until they hit a town with another contest that she, again, was obliged to participate in.

On top of this she was an all around boring person. She never really had an opinion on anything going on. She just played follow the leader basically. Even when Ash and her dad were battling she still didn't have an opinion on who should win. It was just always "la la la" to her. That is exactly what I picture going on in her head 27/7. Nothing more than "la la la."

And she and Ash weren't even very good friends for the first 2 and a half seasons of Advanced. I swear there are multiple episodes in a row where the two don't even speak to eachother. I was very surprised while watching just how little the two every really interacted with eachother.

Her Pokemon too were boring and flat just as she was. Her Torchick sucked and none of her other Pokemon stood out. They needed to give her a Bulbasaur and Squirtle to help make her cooler.

She did get way better at the end of the Advanced series. With the introduction of Harley the audience finally had a reason to root for May. She actually became exciting to watch in the grand festival and watching her beat Harley was fantastic. But I feel that her dullness in the majority of the show she was in kinda ruined her character.

(I know many many people are huge fans of May. I never watched the show before this summer, so understand that I have been seeing every episode in a rather short amount of time. I got to see characters unfold before my eyes rather than watching for years to see them develop and though May's development was strong, she as a person was flat and boring.)
    Compared to several characters on this show, I find May was actually pretty good, but that's just me.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 27th August 2014 at 2:43 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast