Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Type Discussion

In Gen. 5, the Fire types (not counting legendaries) are the Tepig line, Pansear and Simisear, Darumaka and Darmanitan, the Litwick line, Heatmor, and the Larvesta line. Out of those, only three lines are available before the fifth Gym (where I consider the jump from early-mid game to late-mid game), and frankly, Simisear and Pansear suck.

Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    In Gen. 5, the Fire types (not counting legendaries) are the Tepig line, Pansear and Simisear, Darumaka and Darmanitan, the Litwick line, Heatmor, and the Larvesta line. Out of those, only three lines are available before the fifth Gym (where I consider the jump from early-mid game to late-mid game), and frankly, Simisear and Pansear suck.
    Woahwoahwoah, not to go off topic but I love them The monkeys are great.
    But more on topic, it is a much much better balance still. Better than 3 lines (2 new) and a legend in Diamond. That's 6 different lines, although as you said, Heatmor is late, you need surf for Larvesta and you can get Litwick just before the 6th gym. So the fire type got significantly better in this gen.

Electric wasn't to hard done by, but with 5 only different lines, two without evolutions and one that is useless until it evolves, it could still use a nice boost next gen.

Ice on the other hand, once again true a short straw. An ice cream cone, a polar bear, and I'm not even sure what to call Crygonal. I Think it needs a nice surplus of types in one gen.
    SoulSilver BQ

Wonderful Banner by Golden Jet!!!!!
    Chapter 9 is up!! (Still Shocking!)

What's wrong with Ponyta? :/ I used one in my Diamond/Platinum. She did quite well.

Pansear/Simisear does suck. Incinerate does horrible damage, even after Work Up. I boxed mine afier he lost to Burgh's Leavanny. It should've gotten Ember.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Quote Originally Posted by Mon1010 View Post
    What's wrong with Ponyta? :/ I used one in my Diamond/Platinum. She did quite well.

Pansear/Simisear does suck. Incinerate does horrible damage, even after Work Up. I boxed mine afier he lost to Burgh's Leavanny. It should've gotten Ember.
    I like Ponyta, but I know a lot of others don't. Especially when you are comping up to a new gen, and you are going t get all these new pokemon, and than you find out, you either have to use Ponyta, or pick Chimchar if you want to use a fire type.

More simi haters :'(
    SoulSilver BQ

My favorite type combinations:

Psychic/Dark
    Bug/Water
    Bug/Dark
    Bug/Ghost
    Fire/Water < Epic Legendary maybe?
    Dragon/Ice

Thank you, Neo Pikachu!

Funny you should mention fire/water, I once created a starter trio out of boredom. I know it will never happen, but:

Grass/Fire
    Fire/Water
    Water/Grass

In my opinion, that would be great
    SoulSilver BQ

Anyone think that the Ice type is overrated? Sure, they have Blizzard and Ice Beam and all that fancy stuff, but the only remotely bulky ones are Kyurem, Mamoswine(?), and possibly Abomasnow with a subseed set, so things like Weavile will die to a single move from Terrakion/Virizion/Breloom/Conkeldurr/Machamp/Infernape/Heatran/Scizor etc.

Anyone think that the Ice type is overrated? Sure, they have Blizzard and Ice Beam and all that fancy stuff, but the only remotely bulky ones are Kyurem, Mamoswine(?), and possibly Abomasnow with a subseed set, so things like Weavile will die to a single move from Terrakion/Virizion/Breloom/Conkeldurr/Machamp/Infernape/Heatran/Scizor etc.
    I think ice are built that way. They are meant to defeat dragons. But being the type that defeats dragons would make them slightly overkill, so they are dumbed down a little. They really aren't pokemon made for bulk (Least physical) but instead for attacking.
    SoulSilver BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Charoshi View Post
    I think ice are built that way. They are meant to defeat dragons. But being the type that defeats dragons would make them slightly overkill, so they are dumbed down a little. They really aren't pokemon made for bulk (Least physical) but instead for attacking.
    Well, yes, but in the Fighting/Fire/Steel infested metagame, a good Mach/Bullet Punch takes them out. Let's look at the bulkiest, Kyurem.

Max Attack LO Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP Kyurem: 74-87.8%

A near OHKO with Rocks.

Max Attack LO Breloom Mach Punch vs. the same Kyurem: Same damage

See? Even the bulkiest of the Ice types gets at least 2HKOd by incredibly common moves, and it is most often a OHKO with Rocks.

Well, yes, but in the Fighting/Fire/Steel infested metagame, a good Mach/Bullet Punch takes them out. Let's look at the bulkiest, Kyurem.

Max Attack LO Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP Kyurem: 74-87.8%

A near OHKO with Rocks.

Max Attack LO Breloom Mach Punch vs. the same Kyurem: Same damage

See? Even the bulkiest of the Ice types gets at least 2HKOd by incredibly common moves, and it is most often a OHKO with Rocks.
    That's true. Ice types have hit a bit of a wall in the metagame. Water types can use their attacks almost as well, without the common weaknesses. But for an in-game team, ice types still function fairly well. I think e just need a few more bulky ones.
    SoulSilver BQ

Mamoswine & abomasnow don't last very long, one due to common weaknesses, & the other to the Former as well as mediocre stats. Then again, that can be said about almost all ice types.

Stupid Question Require Stupid Answers.

^True enough. Ice types really aren't made to take hits
    And the other day, when I was preparing for my poison type mono challenge, I realized that without the first gen, poison is grossly under populated, the total is just inflated by the mass poison types for first gen. And personally, I think they should be super effective against bugs, since we use poisons to kill bugs.
    SoulSilver BQ

My favorites are Grass types. Despite their many weaknesses, they can play both offensive and defensively at times. I have fun winning battles with them. ^^

I really like electric types too, but they're really just like glass cannons to me (with the exception of a few). I wish there were some bulkier ones, rather than just being build on high Atk/SpAtk and Speed.

I also love Bug Type Pokemon, and I hope to see some more competitive battle worthy Bugs come out sometime (though with the recent generation of Pokemon, I doubt I'll like the designs anyway).

Hmm ... not much else to say. My other two favorites are Dragons and Ghosts. o-o

I don't know why people think Ice-types are overrated. I feel that Gen. IV had it best when it came to Ice-types... Froslass, Mamoswine, and Weavile? Those are some top notch Pokemon if U ask me.
    Pokemon Journals
    Kanto Region:complete
    Johto Region:in progress

Could we get a thread sometime for the remainder of this year that doesn't lead to the targetting of Poison types as being the "worst / weakest type evar"? We've had like 6 in the last three weeks.

Anywho, there's a horribly underlooked type in the Ice Type. I feel they need something more potent to really make them stand out. The type itself has the potential to make something of itslef, it just lacks Pokemon to abuse it.

I think all types are pretty much equal in gen V, as in, all the types have a nice range of powerful pokemon. Types I would really like to see:
    electric/ice
    Fire/ice
    Lv. 100s:(x2),(x3),(shiny),
    In training for lv.100:
    I don't really do competitive battling, I just like training random stuff.
    Friend of mine does awesome fandom stuff on etsy. if you fancy a look: http://etsy.me/1aeStB3
    she specifically made way too many of these and wants them taken off her hands: http://tinyurl.com/myseyzeus

I would like to see a Fire/Electric type combo (aside from Rotom-M)
    Pokemon Journals
    Kanto Region:complete
    Johto Region:in progress

I've personally always wanted like an electric/bug type. Kinda of like Volbeat, but with electric typing. A firefly of some sort.

And a poison legendary is a must. And I wouldn't mind seeing some more obscure typing with poison.

Poison/Dragon
    Poison/Normal
    Poison/Psychic
    Poison/Fire

(I'm a big fan of the poison type right now )
    SoulSilver BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Charoshi View Post
    I've personally always wanted like an electric/bug type. Kinda of like Volbeat, but with electric typing. A firefly of some sort.

And a poison legendary is a must. And I wouldn't mind seeing some more obscure typing with poison.

Poison/Dragon
    Poison/Normal
    Poison/Psychic
    Poison/Fire

(I'm a big fan of the poison type right now )
    Isn't Galvantula Bug/Electric?

Isn't Galvantula Bug/Electric?
    ...fail. xD I forgot about one of my favourite 5th gen Pokes. I even used one on my in-game team xD
    SoulSilver BQ

I think there is a great imbalance between the types, spread between the base power of moves, amount of pokemon, super effectiveness, resistances, immunities, etc. For example, dark and ghost most powerful moves have 80 base power (not including signature moves like Night Daze or Shadow Force). There are so many water, grass, normal and poison pokemon, but not so many ice, steel, dark and ghost.

And in my opinion, we can blame the first generation for this. It introduced powerful base power moves for fire, water, grass, electric, ice, normal and ground, and that's it. It had such a vast amount of poison, normal and water types but only a few of many of the other types. It made fighting super effective against many steel, rock, ice, normal and dark, but made poison super effective only against grass (and bug in 1st gen) Every generation since then has improved things, like stronger attacks (dark pulse, close combat, bug buzz, stone edge and so on) or more pokemon of smaller types (like all the new ghost and fighting types since 4th gen), but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Atratus View Post
    I think there is a great imbalance between the types, spread between the base power of moves, amount of pokemon, super effectiveness, resistances, immunities, etc. For example, dark and ghost most powerful moves have 80 base power (not including signature moves like Night Daze or Shadow Force). There are so many water, grass, normal and poison pokemon, but not so many ice, steel, dark and ghost.

And in my opinion, we can blame the first generation for this. It introduced powerful base power moves for fire, water, grass, electric, ice, normal and ground, and that's it. It had such a vast amount of poison, normal and water types but only a few of many of the other types. It made fighting super effective against many steel, rock, ice, normal and dark, but made poison super effective only against grass (and bug in 1st gen) Every generation since then has improved things, like stronger attacks (dark pulse, close combat, bug buzz, stone edge and so on) or more pokemon of smaller types (like all the new ghost and fighting types since 4th gen), but there is still a lot of room for improvement.
    Agreed.

There were many Fire-types in the first few generations. In 4th Gen, nope.

My favourite types are electric and ice. Hm, I'd like to see an ice/electric type. It would be an interesting combination. xP
    Rotom doesn't count. >.>
    [img]http://oi52.*******.com/33dj9qa.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Livi View Post
    My favourite types are electric and ice. Hm, I'd like to see an ice/electric type. It would be an interesting combination. xP
    Rotom doesn't count. >.>
    But Rotom is an Ice/Electric type. =/ Why would it not count? Dx

[IMG]http://i55.*******.com/24ni8gz.png[/IMG]
    Dracaena - Giovanni Rank

0647 - 8370 - 0522

OSL GYM LEADER # 8 - FLYING

Quote Originally Posted by Nyter09 View Post
    I would like to see a Fire/Electric type combo (aside from Rotom-M)

YEAH!!!!!! ANOTHER FIRE/ELECTRIC WOULD BE EPICAL!!!!! Fire and Electric are my two favorite types~

Concealment | "Hiding One's Eyes
    Trade Page // DarkFlameShipping // Deeper Deeper
    Claimed Kyogre Since July 20th, 2011

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast